Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jan 18th, 2018, 5:07pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Capacity in the Corridor
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Varnish
   VIA Rail
(Moderator: Yves)
   Capacity in the Corridor
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Capacity in the Corridor  (Read 179 times)
Spenda
TRAINing
View Profile  

Capacity in the Corridor

« on: Oct 24th, 2007, 9:06am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

As mentioned on another thread I had a recent opportunity to sample Via's service between Toronto, Ottawa, and Montreal.  The trip was fantastic and I was left with a positive impression of Via's service between these cities.  Nonetheless I was left with a couple of questions.

Does Via have the foresight, ability, and equipment to adjust train length to demand?  I passed through Union Station on the Friday before Thanksgiving to pick up my tickets.  I looked at the departure board and saw that all trains out of Union Station that afternoon were showing "Sold Out".  It made me wonder if Via pressed every piece of equipment available into service to cope with demand and earn some extra revenue, or were the trains operated with their standard compliment of equipment?  Also, the following Friday I was returning to Toronto from Montreal and noted train 69 that I was on was sold out too.  When I got off in Toronto I noticed the train comprised only three coaches.  Does Via have enough equipment that they could add a coach here and there to ensure there are always some empty seats for walk up passengers along the route?

I think it is fantastic that Via can sell out trains, but wouldn't it be even better if they could earn extra revenue by having enough seats to satisfy demand?

Ken V
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Capacity in the Corridor

« Reply #1 on: Oct 24th, 2007, 11:06pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

VIA certainly does adjust the length of trains according to demand.  On long weekends, such as Thanksgiving, there are some very long trains, by Corridor standards. Your train was not a good example of this since, as the last train out of Montreal with a late arrival in Toronto, 69 is not the most popular. Train 57 on Thanksgiving Monday was a better example, having two F40 locomotives and ten to  twelve passenger cars plus the baggage car. The normal consist on a Monday is about half that. I can't say that every single available car is pressed into service when demand is warranted, but most are.

In 1995, following the pro-Canada rally in Montreal (I was there on business), I rode train 67 back to Toronto and counted thirteen cars sandwiched between two LRC locomotives. And that train was packed.

They looked in the future and what did they see? They saw an iron road running from the sea to the sea
-- Gordon Lightfoot (Canadian Railroad Trilogy)
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »