Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jan 18th, 2018, 5:10pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

TURBOS!
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Varnish
   VIA Rail
(Moderator: Yves)
   TURBOS!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: TURBOS!  (Read 190 times)
penn_senseless
Historian
View Profile  

TURBOS!

« on: Aug 16th, 2007, 1:53pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

What ever became of those United Aircraft turbo trains of CN and VIA lineage? Where they scapped, or are they sitting at Mimico?

Ive heard of the problems that occurred, but what killed them? turbine blade wear? riding problems. The LRC trains replaced them, correct?

penn_senseless
Historian
View Profile  

Re: TURBOS!

« Reply #1 on: Aug 16th, 2007, 1:59pm »

never mind..sek and ye shall find. With respect ot the original poster, found this on the via pictures:

Re: Turbo trains: where are they now?
Posted by uacturbo in VIA Rail on 02/08/05 at 19:59:51
'VIA153_1790401.jpg' 400x228 JPEG 22404 bytes

If you want the Turbo experience, Paul Langan has compiled a Turbo DVD that features the award-winning Peterson Productions video - Turbo - filmed in 1970.  

As someone who spent just about every day at the tracks in Pickering as a kid, just waiting for the Turbo, I can tell you this video is a real trip through memory lane. Many a time, years later when I worked for CN, we'd take #66 on a Friday afternoon to Montreal for the weekend. We'd line up early and race to the lead dome to sit behind the engineers. It was the ultimate thrill.  

I highly recommend this DVD. I'm having trouble linking to his web  site but it is available for cost on eBay.  

I believe the Turbo set that was stored at Montreal was gutted by fire near Morrisburg, Ont. on May 29, 1979 (145 - club PDC; 200 - club; 202 - club; 255 - coach; 225 - cafe coach; 260 - coach; 250 - coach; 227 - cafe coach; 153 - coach PDC) and was scrapped at Contre Coeur just outside Montreal.  

The two remaining sets met their maker at Naporano Iron and Metal in New Jersey along with the Amtrak sets.  

It's my understanding a Power Dome Car was offered to a museum for cash but the windows were missing and all the interiors stripped.  

Cheers,  

Kevin  

I must research more before i put up threads  

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

Re: TURBOS!

« Reply #2 on: Aug 16th, 2007, 3:01pm »

BASIC cause of death was high costs. Of maintenance, coupled with high (very high) fuel consumption plus being minority equipment built to aircraft standards (meaning high maintenance and lots of things on them that couldn't handle the day to day bumps and such of real life on the rails) all came down to" "we can't afford this junk".

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »