Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jan 18th, 2018, 5:05pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Liberal fall is Via's too???
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Varnish
   VIA Rail
(Moderator: Yves)
   Liberal fall is Via's too???
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Liberal fall is Via's too???  (Read 866 times)
missthealcos
Historian
Re: Liberal fall is Via's too???

« Reply #20 on: Dec 15th, 2005, 3:28pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Dec 15th, 2005, 11:21am, VIA6903 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I'll be honest with you what we need is new leaders!   Make no mistake
Paul Martin is no friend to Via Rail and never will be! There's too much bad
blood between his former company and Via Rail.  For years Martin would
pardon the pun "Harp" about unfair subsidies to Via Rail.  So why assume
anything has changed.  Just the fact that he cancelled the 700 million that
Chretien was giving to Via Rail for needed improvements should persuade you
to see what he thinks of the national passenger carrier.  Also his campaign
to rid the Liberal Party of such people like David Collenette, the loudest voice
in Ottawa in many years to come out in support of Via Rail.  And don't be fooled
by the announcement by Jean Lapierre that the funding "may" be restored in  
the future! That's just the proverbial carrot being dangled in front of the Canadian
voter yet once again.  Like all other promises politicians make, and break!

Steven Harper in my opinion wouldn't be any better for Via rail.  A Conservative
government under Harper would most likely try to privatise Via or at least portions
of Via.  We don't really know for sure if that is true but certain Conservatives who
have been very vocal when it comes to privatization namely Jim Gouk would lead
us to that conclusion.  The best we can hope for until the leaders of both parties
change is a Liberal or a Conservative minority government.  A majority for either
party could spell disaster for Via Rail.  We need leaders who are more interested
in the public good as opposed to the private good,  leaders who are not so concerned with maintaining power at all costs, leaders who will be honest with the
citizens of this country, leaders who will allow for democracy and not rule the  
country like a dictatorship!  It's a lot to ask and quit frankly I don't believe any of
our current leaders are up to the task.  

So the big question is who do you vote for? Elect a Liberal majority under Martin and Via Rail will be slowly starved to death due to lack of adequate funding.  Martin being the player that he is would see this as a way to rid himself of Via Rail while not making his government look bad.  Martin making direct sweeping cuts to Via or say the CBC would reflect poorly on his Liberals. So he will let it die a slow death, one that will not come back to haunt him.  Harper with a majority on the other hand being more bold and brash would take that opportunity to privatize Via Rail as a whole or at least portions of it.  A sink or swim type of attitude which would mean the death of much of the system as we know it now.  Of course these are all just guesses as to what will happen politicians have a way of flip flopping on all issues
so only time will tell.

Agreed!!!

And don't forget....miopic idiots like Jim Gouk are what causes most of the problem...Gouks insane interest in Via only existed because he was enlisted to do so by Rocky Mountaineer..I highly doubt he even had an opinion on the subject before that!

Liberal Gov't, NDP opposition....sounds like a decent compromise, or at least as good as it can be given the curent political system, which is a joke to begin with..I don't like Paul Martin either, buthe is the lesser of the evils here...

« Last Edit: Dec 15th, 2005, 3:33pm by missthealcos » Logged
via4ever
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #21 on: Dec 16th, 2005, 5:50am »

Must say I agree with the comment about Conservative MP Jim Gouk being a uber- bastard! This guy went WAY out of his way on many occasions to mock, ridicule and vilify Via Rail, and his riding in South Eastern BC does not even see Via Rail nearby!! Obviously he was chums with Rocky Mountaineer (The Nazi's of Rail travel) , and was spoon fed WHAT to say, WHEN to say it, and WHO to say it to !!! A review of Hansard will show ALL this stuff!!!   I will put my life on the line that this guy has received gratis trips on Armstrongs tour train, and/or will have some sort of cushy position in RMR when he exits politics at end of this term (thank God) . Armstrongs "voice" in Ottawa has paid HUGE dividends for Rocky's continued monopolization of rail routes in Western Canada! To that end, Armstrong is not stupid...far from it....just a greedy, manipulating, monoplozing , disparager of Via! And to anyone wondering "is this slander?" Sorry, I have video, audio, and written transcripts of Armstrong outright LYING about Via Rail from comments HE made in late 2004 in Washington DC ! Anyone care to see these, that havent already??   Must go now....I have my loonie coin on the table...heads Liberals, tails Conservatives!!!!    

VIA6903
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #22 on: Dec 16th, 2005, 10:11am »

via4ever Never mind flipping that Loonie, go get yourself a Tim's with it! better use

Maybe Martin is the lesser of two evils maybe he's not. If  Steven Harper is never elected how will we know. Harper doesn't equal Mulroney anymore then Martin equals Trudeau lets get that straight. The amount of rhetoric that has been created around election time has gotten out of hand with one side saying this and the other side saying that.   The truth of the matter is we all don’t think alike. What a boring world it would be if that was the case. There's people in this country who support the Liberals good for them. There’s also people in this land who support the Conservatives and just as the Liberals are entitled to their opinions so are the Conservatives. We need to forget about the past because it is just that the past. Then there’s the whole idea of saying one leader said this or that without backing it up.  For example when did Harper say that if he was elected that he would dismantle Via Rail.  Even people like Jim Gouk have not said anything about dismantling Via Rail. There is plenty of evidence that Jim Gouk does not support Via Rail and has worked against them many times in the past, but show me where that translates into the entire Conservative party.  What Jim Gouk did do is float a bill that would have allowed for the possible privatization of Via Rail. Something many including myself do not support.  I do believe people like Jim Gouk for their own selfish reasons would love to see Via Rail disappear but does that mean all Conservatives want Via Rail to disappear I doubt it!  Not to mention that Jim Gouk has announced that he will not even be running in this Federal election.  Having said that statements by people such as Jim Gouk are well documented it can be looked up.  Making statements without backing them up seems to be something the Liberals get away with all the time.  As for hidden agenda's it's funny you should mention that because the common perception is that Steven Harper has a hidden agenda.  It's the best the Liberals can do to convince the electorate to vote Liberal. Let’s run with the hidden agenda boogieman.  But all one has to do is read the latest poles to find that it isn't so.  A resent poll by the Strategic Counsel shows Canadians actually feel the Liberals have more of a hidden agenda then the Conservatives. (33% to 25%) explain that!

http://www.torontosun.com/News/Columnists/Goldstein_Lorrie/2005/11/30/1329735.html

I guess that’s one Liberals will have to drop as it flies in their face.  It’s obviously not good that Canadians feel any of their politicians have a hidden agenda but that seems to be a fact no matter what level of government and no matter which party you’re dealing with politicians break their promises time and time again.  You may think the way I talk I would like to see a Conservative majority.  That couldn’t be further from the truth.  While I want to see the Liberals turfed out of  office I have no desire to see Steven Harper with a majority government.  Perhaps a Conservative minority government where he could be kept in check would be ok.  Either way I don’t think anything will change until the leaders of all the political parties have changed Martin, Harper and Layton.  I actually don’t think it would even be that bad if Martin got in again as it would force the Conservatives and the NDP to review their leadership and perhaps bring more moderate people onboard who may even see the importance of passenger rail to this country and start investing in it.  Ah to dream the impossible dream.  

« Last Edit: Dec 16th, 2005, 10:16am by VIA6903 » Logged

Terry
VIA_windsor
Chaser

« Reply #23 on: Dec 16th, 2005, 11:32am »

I think a GST reductions is great for 2 reasons...
1) It will be cheaper for me, via4ever,missthealcos, and international tourists to ride VIA rail.  
2) All levels of society (poor, middle, rich) benefit equally.

joncalon
Historian

« Reply #24 on: Dec 16th, 2005, 7:54pm »

on Dec 14th, 2005, 9:06pm, VIA_windsor wrote:       (Click here for original message)
The true question to ask, which party is going to invest in VIA. The answer... NONE.

Incorrect.  The Green Party will invest in Via, and return rail service to a number of corridors that haven't had any service since 1990...

Sadly, the election TV debates don't allow anyone to hear what the Greens have to say...Despite the fact they're getting millions from the taxpayers because they garnered enough votes from the last election...

Jon

missthealcos
Historian

« Reply #25 on: Dec 16th, 2005, 8:32pm »

I don't recall exact words, but Harper has stated he will dismantle Via, that is fact. Call it privatization, "franchising", whatever you chose, it all equals the same thing...

However, as I've said, Via is realistically a very small part of the bigger picture.

Those that don't understand my fear and mistrust of Harper, well, you obviously don't live in BC....Harper very much reminds me of Campbell attitude wise, which is also where I get the opinion about a hidden agenda, not from any rhetoric, I don't listen to rhetoric..its all gleaned form observation. If you wer eto experience Gordon Campbells "policies" first hand, you would know what I mean. We have essentially nothing left, and he has made damn sure nothing can be reversed. And not one iota of it was ever done above board...this has far less to do with parties, and idealogies, and more to do with leaders, simple as that. Ideaologies etc. are all blurred now anyway...an MP can be Liberal one day, Conservative the next, what does that tell you?

VIA_windsor
Chaser

« Reply #26 on: Dec 17th, 2005, 7:10pm »

well, it would be funny to see Harper pulled over in hawaii on DUI. And Missthealcos, I think that people in Alberta, and Ontario might feel similar to you.
Overall, if you we all want to protect VIA, and give it a voice, vote for the guy in neighbourhood riding that listens to his consitutience. (ie: Don't vote for the Liberal dude working at harvard, but running in Toronto)
If we elect MPs who express an interest in our riding, and listen to us, then we might have a chance.

grobrailman
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #27 on: Jan 2nd, 2012, 2:01pm »

Here we are four years later and Via is still with us...in fact with many or it's cars rebuilt/refurbished... check with Industrial Rail in Monction,N.B. and Avalon Rail in the U.S.  More passenger equiptment is being rebuilt/refurbished as I write this.  Hidden agenda ?  Canada is doing well and is the envy of many countries.  Things are not perfect...but they could be much worse !  If we do not agree with something or want to speak up..email or better yet write your M.P. or the Prime Minister I have emailed Prime Minister Harper and received (to my surprise) a reply not from the P.M.O's office but him him personally.  I have emailed our Minister of Defense (Peter MacKay) and got a email back from him..it took a while but I got one back.

You wonder why I write this ?  Because I believe we as rail fans can change things....but maybe we might have to think about something  before we write it..we can change things IF we become involved.

May we see great things happen in 2012...get involved.

Sincerely,

Gord.

Dayliner
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #28 on: Jan 17th, 2012, 8:11pm »

VIA may still be with us, but service on two important regional routes (Vancouver Island and Gaspe) has been suspended indefinitely due to track or bridge issues and frequency has been cut on a third (Churchill).  Service outside the corridor was always token at best but is now slowly being eroded to nothing.  Beyond the corridor, VIA is dying the death of a thousand cuts.

Life without trains? Inconceivable!
missthealcos
Historian

« Reply #29 on: Jan 20th, 2012, 4:10pm »

Yeah, it's still with us. One has to look no further than the link to the news story recently posted to show what the Harper gov't possibly has in store for it. I still don't trust them as far as I can throw them. This is Canada, and nothing is safe(not that I'm saying it's much better elsewhere)The gov't honestly feels that actually using our tax dollars to provide us with services is passe...pretty much everything is done on a shoestring, if it's done at all.. I honestly hate to sound so negative, but I can only call it like I see it.

« Last Edit: Jan 20th, 2012, 5:29pm by missthealcos » Logged
via4ever
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #30 on: Oct 29th, 2012, 2:07am »

on Jan 20th, 2012, 4:10pm, missthealcos wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Yeah, it's still with us. One has to look no further than the link to the news story recently posted to show what the Harper gov't possibly has in store for it. I still don't trust them as far as I can throw them. This is Canada, and nothing is safe(not that I'm saying it's much better elsewhere)The gov't honestly feels that actually using our tax dollars to provide us with services is passe...pretty much everything is done on a shoestring, if it's done at all.. I honestly hate to sound so negative, but I can only call it like I see it.

Hey "Miss": Its almost Nov. 2012 and we need an update on where VIA Rail stands in way of cuts, possible future cuts, etc.  What is your prediction on the twice a week schedule in winter now in place ? Do ya think this means further cuts ? Possibly in high season ?  I was at Vancouvers train depot the other day to purchase train tix to Edmonton (to see Sir Paul McCartney there in concert in late Nov.), and the Via fellow actually tried to say that the reduced winter service cuts will be reversed. I gave him a look like "I sure as hell hope so, but sure as hell dont THINK so" !  Your valued opinion Missthealcos ??    PS  Its been almost a decade (Halloween 2002) since the VERY last passenger service on BC Rail to Prince George from Vancouver. Man I miss that service. I haven't been to Lillooet since. Or to Williams Lake. Or to...........  Thanks Gordon Campbell.

Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »