Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jan 18th, 2018, 5:06pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

The forum
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Varnish
   VIA Rail
(Moderator: Yves)
   The forum
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: The forum  (Read 873 times)
Yves
Historian
View Profile  

The forum

« on: Mar 24th, 2002, 9:49am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Good day and welcome to the VIA Rail forum. Anything associated with VIA Rail, past, present and future is on topic.  This includes connecting services, similar services (for comparison), modelling, motive power, rolling stock, physical infrastructure, policy etc.  If you can associate the post to VIA Rail, it is on topic as far as I'm concerned.  If anybody feels the focus should be changed, just let me know and perhaps we can throw it out to the group for discussion.

Although not as knowledgeable "railfan" as many others in these forums, I do travel by VIA rail and am enthusiastic supporter of  passenger trains in Canada.  I especially like the railfan forums because the participants are pretty good at self-moderating.  I've read plenty of good information and opinion in the former RailRoad.net forums and look forward to the same in this forum.

Will be checking the forum regularly to keep tabs on threads that get too long or way off topic.  I will also make some postings to keep the conversation going.

Again, welcome to the forum.  Looking forward to some lively and interesting discussions.

Your moderator - Yves

« Last Edit: Apr 4th, 2002, 10:44pm by Yves » Logged

Yves Marchand
Kingston, ON, CA
CN5710
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

Re: The forum

« Reply #1 on: Jun 20th, 2002, 1:52am »

I just found this forum Yves  , I really like it   I don't have alot of VIA photos but I added two for your viewing pleasure  

www.thecutline.com
Yves
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: Jun 22nd, 2002, 10:54pm »

Thanks for the vote of confidence.   Actually, this topic was active on another board (the board died a few months ago), so I figured it would probably take off here.

The fact that you have any VIA photos at all is welcome as I don't think that there are too many VIA trains down in your neck of the woods.

I did like that shot of the Sarnia station (exit of tunnel posted on your CN forum).  It is one of VIA's prettier heritage stations.  I'd never seen it before.

« Last Edit: Jun 22nd, 2002, 10:57pm by Yves » Logged

Yves Marchand
Kingston, ON, CA
CN5710
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #3 on: Jun 22nd, 2002, 11:37pm »

Thanks Yves , I need to take some more photos while I am at work . The VIA station in Sarnia is a nice station and I could get some really good photos of it but most of the time I work in the dark .

www.thecutline.com
Matt
Railfan

« Reply #4 on: Nov 13th, 2002, 6:02pm »

We need more people posting rather than just reading!

Matt

« Last Edit: Nov 13th, 2002, 6:05pm by Matt » Logged

Matthew Soknacki

Toronto Ontario CN Kingston Sub. Mile 319.5
Brechin Ontario CN Bala Sub. Mile 72.4
Ken V
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #5 on: Nov 14th, 2002, 10:27pm »

on Nov 13th, 2002, 6:02pm, Matt wrote:       (Click here for original message)
We need more people posting rather than just reading!

Matt

Matt...I agree we need more activity here and find it somewhat frustrating when I post something that no one responds to, let alone reads.  On the other hand, I don't want to see a whole lot of useless posts of insignificant and irrelevant value.

I'll continue to post here when I've heard, seen, read, or imagined something I consider worthwhile.

They looked in the future and what did they see? They saw an iron road running from the sea to the sea
-- Gordon Lightfoot (Canadian Railroad Trilogy)
Brakeman44
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #6 on: Jan 18th, 2003, 11:54pm »

Great Forum, I'm a First time guest to the forum, stumbled across it while looking up some other VIA info.

On veiwing the topics and the discussions around the table, I look forward to dropping in more often and partaking in the communications.

Regards

Brakeman44  

Yves
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #7 on: Jan 19th, 2003, 8:44am »

Thanks for dropping in Brakeman44.  

The forum and entire Railfan.net board is not really advertised as it is meant to be a place for enthusiasts to gather without annoying popups, spam or trolls that are attracted to commercial ventures.

I personally really enjoy the Railfan.net website, particularly for its membership of really interesting people.

« Last Edit: Jan 28th, 2003, 3:07pm by Yves » Logged

Yves Marchand
Kingston, ON, CA
Matt
Railfan

« Reply #8 on: Jan 20th, 2003, 4:12pm »

We have had a lot of discussion latley!!! This is great!! Keep posting everyone!!

Matthew Soknacki

Toronto Ontario CN Kingston Sub. Mile 319.5
Brechin Ontario CN Bala Sub. Mile 72.4
kjohn
Historian

« Reply #9 on: Jan 28th, 2008, 2:46pm »

Great idea.  All through the 80's, I rode VIA, mostly to the West Coast and back, but did get to Churchill twice.  One winter, I went West twice, and a brakeman asked me if I "worked for the railroad?".  I replied that I didn't, but he had likely visited with me in the middle dome late at night when all the "tourists" had gone to bed.  I used to befriend the crew and get in on some glorious conversations and heard some great stories.  The man I ran across almost every time I rode the Canadian was a conductor out of Medicine Hat by the name of Jack MacDonald.  He was a character indeed!  I first met him when the Canadian westbound picked up a bunch of tie plates and had to set an engine off at Grenfell in 1980.  He was a "passenger" on that trip, returning from a football game in Winnipeg.  Every time I would meet him on a trip, I would ask him if he had picked up any tie plates lately.  He would give me a sharp look and then recognize me.  I spoke with the baggage man that was working that train.  He said he thought the end of the world had come.  The extra gangs had been piling new tie plates between the rails, ready for replacement.  Good old No.1 came along at, well, let's just say, at "track speed", and started the ball rolling.  One pile got tipped over and the chain reaction was inevitable.  A fuel tank was ruptured, and when I came on the scene, Jack and some crew were standing at the downtown crossing watching the fuel run out.  There were tie plates scattered all over the track right-of-way.  Only minutes prior to the accident, we had been parked right where the worst mess was, waiting for No.1 to go roaring by.  I watched hundreds of VIA No.1 and No.2, as well as the little train from Winnipeg-Saskatoon and Saskatoon-Winnipeg go by, just south of where I lived.  I used to make sure I would be downwind, so as to get the full benefit of the steam generator exhaust, the smell of hot brakes, and of course the good 567 exhaust.  There is nothing to match the sound of two or three 16-567's flat out, trying to gather speed.  Nothing.  

1st generation EMD preferred!!
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »