Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 25th, 2017, 2:56pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

early 90s Vic sub E&N consists
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   early 90s Vic sub E&N consists
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: early 90s Vic sub E&N consists  (Read 890 times)
torch
Historian
Re: early 90s Vic sub E&N consists

« Reply #60 on: Aug 29th, 2017, 7:17am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Wednesday morning, July 11, 1990, northbound at Langford. Consist: gp38ac, gp35, one black CP boxcar, forty foot red E&N boxcar, two propane cars, fifty foot black gondola (didnt see the reporting marks), fifty foot brown ribside CP boxcar, water car and caboose.    By the way, for those unfamiliar with  the "water car"  it was an old modified canadian pacific 40 foot tank car used for spraying water on the tracks to help prevent fires caused by hot brake shoes in the summer months on the e&n.  Several different types of modifed tanks had been used including some made out of old steam loco tenders. Typically I mainly saw the standard old tank car variety. These were always placed right before the caboose.  Later in the 90s after caboose-less trains were the norm i would often see a hi-rail truck follow the northbound train. I  didnt see the water cars in use in the late 90s on the vic sub.

torch
Historian

« Reply #61 on: Aug 29th, 2017, 7:18am »

Thursday, July 12, 1990. Southbound at Langford  Consist: gp35, gp38ac, government hopper, three propane cars, forty foot red CP boxcar, water car and caboose.

MinionII
Historian

« Reply #62 on: Aug 30th, 2017, 11:48pm »

on Aug 29th, 2017, 7:08am, torch wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Tuesday,July 3, 1990.  Evening southbound switched ICG propance and left with 12 cars,heres the consist:  gp38ac, gp35, fifty foot black CP boxcar, four propane cars, forty foot brown CP boxcar, fifty foot green BN  ribside boxcar, fifty foot black CP boxcar, fifty foot double plug door Red CP boxcar, fifty foot brown Southern double plug door boxcar, forty foot orange CP insulated boxcar and caboose.

Wow 7 boxcars...I wonder where they all were headed. Standard Furniture, Garden City, and Victoria Plywood I guess?

torch
Historian

« Reply #63 on: Aug 31st, 2017, 12:41am »

on Aug 30th, 2017, 11:48pm, MinionII wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Wow 7 boxcars...I wonder where they all were headed. Standard Furniture, Garden City, and Victoria Plywood I guess?

At this time there was still a fair amiunt of boxcars being unloaded on the platform/ramp track in the Vic west yard in addition to the other spots you mentioned, as well as the ocassional car dropped at the Langford siding and E.H. pope.

MinionII
Historian

« Reply #64 on: Aug 31st, 2017, 2:24am »

Yeah I do recall seeing the odd boxcar at the semi-covered platform that sat beside the last coach track in the yard. If I remember correctly, the end-loading ramp was at the end of the same track. Used to see some gondolas on that track as well. Not sure how they unloaded those...

torch
Historian

« Reply #65 on: Aug 31st, 2017, 5:34am »

on Aug 31st, 2017, 2:24am, MinionII wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Yeah I do recall seeing the odd boxcar at the semi-covered platform that sat beside the last coach track in the yard. If I remember correctly, the end-loading ramp was at the end of the same track. Used to see some gondolas on that track as well. Not sure how they unloaded those...

Yes,  ramp was on same track.. for loading military vehicles and whatever other miscellaneous wheeled loads there were.  Ive  also wondered how they unloaded the coke out of those gondolas too.  Im assuming a back hoe of some sorts.  For as many coke loads as i saw delivered I am surpised I never witnessed the unloading even once.

MinionII
Historian

« Reply #66 on: Aug 31st, 2017, 12:36pm »

I've seen a video of a backhoe climbing into a gondola from track level, using a combination of the loader bucket and backhoe arm/bucket and a boat load of skill, maybe they did something along those lines...
Where was the floundry that coke was bound for? It wasn't VMD was it?

torch
Historian

« Reply #67 on: Aug 31st, 2017, 11:26pm »

on Aug 31st, 2017, 12:36pm, MinionII wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I've seen a video of a backhoe climbing into a gondola from track level, using a combination of the loader bucket and backhoe arm/bucket and a boat load of skill, maybe they did something along those lines...
Where was the floundry that coke was bound for? It wasn't VMD was it?

Based on various reports Ive heard from others over the years it was Vic foundry. Back when i was out watching these trains I just assumed it was regular coal as thats what it appeared to be to me in my uneducated observation. Ive gone back into my notes and changed that detail to coke.

hillbank
Historian

« Reply #68 on: Sep 1st, 2017, 12:27am »

Yes it was Victoria Foundry, there was a story in the T/C when they closed down, i remember most cars were either Norfolk and Western or Railgon.
Do recall the water cars as well. my favorite was the script lettered Canadian Pacific, the water cars were also spotted at some locations along the E&N the old Duncan shop track and Parksville are two locations i know of. the water cars were still used on the frieghts after the caboose was dropped but not for long. before the use of the hi-rail fire patrols that followed the frieghts speeders were used  and i sure miss thier unique putt putt sound.

Pages: 1 2 3 4  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »