Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 18th, 2017, 10:03pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

early 90s Vic sub E&N consists
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   early 90s Vic sub E&N consists
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: early 90s Vic sub E&N consists  (Read 981 times)
torch
Historian
Re: early 90s Vic sub E&N consists

« Reply #40 on: May 31st, 2017, 4:54am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Wed, June 13, 1990.   Went to e&n yard in morning Auger is set up unloading a canada hopper's contents into a Borden's truck. After switching and the SW running to store street and back and the dayliner's departue I watched the northbound frieght depart. Consist as follows:   gp35 #5015 , gp38ac #3000 , 40 foot brown cp box, 50 ft black ribside cp box, the 50 ft CP flat loaded with rails, 3 propane cars, 4 nahx PD hoppers (to be dropped at view royal, apparently ) , empty red CP  bulkhead flat,  40 ft CP orange insulated box and caboose.   13 cars... not bad.   (added note:  the 40 ft brown CP box was dropped at EH POPE in Langford)

« Last Edit: May 31st, 2017, 4:55am by torch » Logged
torch
Historian

« Reply #41 on: May 31st, 2017, 5:02am »

Thursday, June 14:  Southbound at Langford arriving with 18 cars!  I did not write the time down. Picked up one empty propane car at ICG and dropped two leaving langford with 17 cars.  Consist as follows:  GP35 # 5025, GP38ac # 3001 ,  5 fifty ft trailer train flats, red forty ft CP box, fifty ft CN box, three propane cars, 40 ft orange CP insulated box,  sixty ft red CP bulkhead flat (empty) , 2 more propane cars, two more trailer train flats and caboose.

ENR3005
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #42 on: Jun 5th, 2017, 3:28pm »

on May 25th, 2017, 9:06pm, torch wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I was always interested in those munitions shipments... kind of reminiscent of the ones CN used to carry on the south end of the Cowichan sub to rocky point before my time.  The E&N carried on with these well into the 90s, did they not?

Sorry for the late reply, it looks like other members answered this and I would agree, early 90s. I thought I had a few more to post but can't seem to locate them in my collection. I will keep digging and post them when I find them.

hillbank
Historian

« Reply #43 on: Jun 6th, 2017, 12:59am »

I am wondering about outbound loads from the Victoria sub during this time, i know Vic ply was still shipping cars but did anyone notice other outbound loads?

torch
Historian

« Reply #44 on: Jun 12th, 2017, 8:43pm »

on Jun 6th, 2017, 12:59am, hillbank wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I am wondering about outbound loads from the Victoria sub during this time, i know Vic ply was still shipping cars but did anyone notice other outbound loads?

The only outbound loads from victoria that were obvious was vic ply during this period. A few year prior there was still the odd flatcar of lumber sent from CN before the Saanich spur was kaput.

MinionII
Historian

« Reply #45 on: Jul 19th, 2017, 3:27am »

Hey don't let this thread die now!

hillbank
Historian

« Reply #46 on: Jul 24th, 2017, 1:23am »

I think we are waiting for Torch to find the rest of his notes!
around the same time as Torch was making these notes there was also alot of work done on the track, the B.C tie gang was over several times and ballast trains were quite common, often the work trains would return to Wellcox and the empty ballast cars would be spotted at Fiddicks pit by the Southbound Victoria turn, a number of crossings between Duncan and Nanaimo were rebuilt and several times i saw work trains that dumped ballast with air dumps while a section crew unloaded rails from flat cars at these crossings.
The tie gang when working on the south end would stay at Cobble Hill as the siding was long and lots of parking for the crew trucks, i cannot remember how long the gang was in Cobble Hill but several times the Victoria turn when heading North would pick up the tank car from the outfit cars and return it a couple of days later.

torch
Historian

« Reply #47 on: Aug 15th, 2017, 2:42am »

Im back, boys!  heres more continuing.  Friday,June 15 , Vic west yard, northbound freight: gp38ac #3001, gp35 #5025 , two grey nahx hoppers, 40' red cp box, 3 propane cars, 50 foot brown southern double door boxcar, 50 foot orange cp ribside boxcar, government hopper, 50 foot NW gondola and caboose.    I rode bicycle back toward langford after watching the northbound depart and when I was around the thetis lake overpass area I heard a horn.   A southbound extra  appeared , to my surprise.  Two gp35s, one gp38ac , 39 empty trailertrain flat cars and cabbose.  Obviously this was to set up for a northbound military train.  I didnt catch the northbound military train the next day but guessing from the previous southbound that included seven trailer train flats   that wouldve made the northbound military train 47 cars,including caboose!!

torch
Historian

« Reply #48 on: Aug 15th, 2017, 2:46am »

Sunday, June 17, 1990,  southbound at langford :  gp35,gp38ac , 4 government hoppers, a yellow Milwaukee Road hopper, 60 foot CP gondola, one propane car, fifty foot grey,ribside CP boxcar,  fifty foot grey waffleside CP boxcar and caboose.

torch
Historian

« Reply #49 on: Aug 18th, 2017, 7:28am »

Monday, June 18th, 1990:  Northbound at langford, Late am hours.  gp38ac, gp35, the five hoppers from the night before, 3 propane cars and caboose.

torch
Historian

« Reply #50 on: Aug 18th, 2017, 7:31am »

Wednesday,June 20th, 1990.  Northbound at Langford: gp38ac, gp35, 40 foot red CP CP/E&N boxcar, 50 foot orange CP insulated boxcar, 50 foot brown plug door CP boxcar, 3 propane cars,  green CNW hopper and caboose.

MinionII
Historian

« Reply #51 on: Aug 22nd, 2017, 2:04am »

on Aug 18th, 2017, 7:31am, torch wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Wednesday,June 20th, 1990.  Northbound at Langford: gp38ac, gp35, 40 foot red CP CP/E&N boxcar, 50 foot orange CP insulated boxcar, 50 foot brown plug door CP boxcar, 3 propane cars,  green CNW hopper and caboose.

Green CNW hopper eh...so the green CNW hopper I got cheap from BC Shavers just because I liked it will be prototypical if I ever get around to building on E&N inspired layout

I'm happy to see you posting these again Torch.

torch
Historian

« Reply #52 on: Aug 23rd, 2017, 6:45am »

it most definitely will. I saw those hoppers on the E&N on more than one occasion too.  

hillbank
Historian

« Reply #53 on: Aug 24th, 2017, 12:54am »

That CNW hopper was probably an empty from Top Shelf or Buckerfields, i saw them there quite often during this time, also noticed alot of Soo Line, Milwaukee Road, ex Rock Island, and a few times Toronto Hamilton and Buffalo, sometimes the crews would bring the empties from Duncan through to Victoria to use as idler cars and if there was no switching going North  that they would have a straight run back to Welcox the next day.
Thanks for posting more info Torch.

torch
Historian

« Reply #54 on: Aug 24th, 2017, 1:59am »

on Aug 24th, 2017, 12:54am, hillbank wrote:       (Click here for original message)
That CNW hopper was probably an empty from Top Shelf or Buckerfields, i saw them there quite often during this time, also noticed alot of Soo Line, Milwaukee Road, ex Rock Island, and a few times Toronto Hamilton and Buffalo, sometimes the crews would bring the empties from Duncan through to Victoria to use as idler cars and if there was no switching going North  that they would have a straight run back to Welcox the next day.
Thanks for posting more info Torch.

It was absolutely from top shelf or buckerfields.  Was the same operating pattern that continued into the rail america era.

torch
Historian

« Reply #55 on: Aug 27th, 2017, 3:28am »

Sunday night, June 24, 1990, Langford:  southbound arrived with six cars. Switched ICG propane and left with seven. Here is that consist:  gp35 #5025, gp38ac #3001, fifty foot grey CN boxcar, two ribsided CP boxcars..(one with plug door,one with sliding door), one red government hopper, fifty foot red combination plug and sliding door boxcar ,one propane car and caboose.

torch
Historian

« Reply #56 on: Aug 27th, 2017, 3:35am »

Wednesday,June 27, 1990 , Langford..  Northbound freight,10:45 am.  gp38ac #3001, sw900 #6713, forty foot dpuble door red E&N boxcar,  one propane car, forty foot brown CP boxcar,  fifty foot grey CP waffleside boxcar and caboose.  This train stopped in Langford and set out the brown CP boxcar on the siding.   (never have figured out what sort of loads were dropped on the langford siding in boxcars and for whom.. anybody know?)   They left northbound within minutes after airing up.

torch
Historian

« Reply #57 on: Aug 29th, 2017, 7:04am »

sunday, july 1st, 1990.  Southbound at Langford:    three units... two gp38ac, gp35, one government hopper, four propane cars, fifty foot green BN ribside boxcar and caboose.

torch
Historian

« Reply #58 on: Aug 29th, 2017, 7:08am »

Tuesday,July 3, 1990.  Evening southbound switched ICG propance and left with 12 cars,heres the consist:  gp38ac, gp35, fifty foot black CP boxcar, four propane cars, forty foot brown CP boxcar, fifty foot green BN  ribside boxcar, fifty foot black CP boxcar, fifty foot double plug door Red CP boxcar, fifty foot brown Southern double plug door boxcar, forty foot orange CP insulated boxcar and caboose.

torch
Historian

« Reply #59 on: Aug 29th, 2017, 7:10am »

Tuesday,July 10th, 1990. Southbound at Langford, 9:30 pm. Switched ICG propane and left with this consist:  gp35, gp38ac, fifty foot yellow CP marked boxcar, three propane cars, one government hopper, water car and caboose.

Pages: 1 2 3 4  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »