Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 26th, 2017, 9:12am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

early 90s Vic sub E&N consists
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   early 90s Vic sub E&N consists
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: early 90s Vic sub E&N consists  (Read 892 times)
torch
Historian
Re: early 90s Vic sub E&N consists

« Reply #20 on: May 24th, 2017, 9:17pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Friday, June 1, 1990:  Northbound freight at Langford, 10:35 am. Gp35, Gp38-2, fifty ft Black CP boxcar, forty ft red CP boxcar, three propane cars, CP hopper , forty ft brown CP box with old block lettering and end cupola caboose.

torch
Historian

« Reply #21 on: May 24th, 2017, 9:22pm »

Friday,June 9, 1990:  Northbound at Langford, 10:30 am.  Gp35, Gp35 , Gp38 , 50 ft Red CP box with combi door, 2 propane cars, canada hopper , two Thrall ALL DOOR canfor boxcars and caboose.    This was the first time in a few years since I had seen all door boxcars on the vic sub.  The last time before that was around early 1988 when I watched a Northbound perform a flying switch dropping off an all door box into Van isle Mouldings,which was the mill in Langford beside ICG propane which burned down the next year.

ENR3005
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #22 on: May 24th, 2017, 11:21pm »

on May 23rd, 2017, 6:21am, torch wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I had an idea for a thread,guys but i wanted to clear it with y'all before proceeding, hear me out:  I have a book of train consist notes of E&N trains in and around victoria from spring 1990 into 1992. I feel that historically they might bear some interest as around that time on the vic sub there was still an interesting variety of traffic and as my notes reveal there seemed to be a noticeable increase in freight on the vic sub for a short time during 90-91. I figured i could share some of these mundane 'gems' and perhaps some of you can add your two cents or your own recollections/notes of consists from that era. One thing though, i didn't always write down the unit numbers but I did at least write down the unit models plus car descriptions, unusual movements, etc.    You game?  thanks.

Thanks for doing this, hopefully more of us did this and will share. Never got to see much on the south end of the Victoria Sub and a most interesting read. I hope you don't mind me adding a few that I will dig out. Not living on the island at that time makes my list a lot shorter and limited to my holiday visits.  

Monday, December 21, 1992, Port Alberni Turn Northbound, Approximately 10:00 am, adjacent to National Silicates in Parksville, GP38ACs 3001, 3007, 3011 and 9 cars consisting of 1 cylindrical CN hopper, 4 CPAA ex Milw Hi-Cube boxcars, 1 CPAA boxcar, 2 Southern Pacific double door boxcars and one WCRC boxcar

« Last Edit: May 24th, 2017, 11:46pm by ENR3005 » Logged
ENR3005
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #23 on: May 24th, 2017, 11:30pm »

Tuesday December 22, 1992, Northbound Parksville Turn and Courtenay Turn, approximately 7:00am (amazing how fast the sound of a GP38 blowing for the crossings in Nanoose Bay could get a teenager out of bed and sprinting for the tracks three miles away) adjacent to National Silicates, GP38ACs 30##, 3012, 3000, 5 cars, 1 Railbox boxcar (dynamite ?), 2 Procor Cylindrical hoppers (for National Silicates) and 2 LPG tank cars for ICG in Courtenay.      

« Last Edit: May 24th, 2017, 11:39pm by ENR3005 » Logged
ENR3005
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #24 on: May 24th, 2017, 11:34pm »

Tuesday December 22, 1992, Southbound Courtenay Turn, Approximately 3:30pm, Parksville Junction GP38ACs, 3000, 3012, 30##,  3 cars, 1 Railbox boxcar (dynamite ?), 2 LPG empty tank cars from ICG in Courtenay. Consist quickly switches yard including a gravity move to pickup two empty Cylindrical hoppers (from National Silicates) left by the northbound Parksville turn.

torch
Historian

« Reply #25 on: May 25th, 2017, 3:17am »

on May 24th, 2017, 11:34pm, ENR3005 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Tuesday December 22, 1992, Southbound Courtenay Turn, Approximately 3:30pm, Parksville Junction GP38ACs, 3000, 3012, 30##,  3 cars, 1 Railbox boxcar (dynamite ?), 2 LPG empty tank cars from ICG in Courtenay. Consist quickly switches yard including a gravity move to pickup two empty Cylindrical hoppers (from National Silicates) left by the northbound Parksville turn.  

Awesome,bro.   These are great.  keep em coming! I find that end interesting for the same reason too..that I wasnt able to be in those parts often to document.

torch
Historian

« Reply #26 on: May 25th, 2017, 3:24am »

Sunday, June 10,1990:  Southbound at Langford... I did not write the time of arrival down.  Gp35, Gp38ac, CN cylindrical hopper, 3 propane cars, 60 ft CP bulkhead flat loaded with PVC pipe,  50 ft orange insulated CP boxcar,  50 ft brown ribside box with CP marks and caboose.  This night marked the night that ICG propane in Langford started receiving sunday service as well.   This may or may not have happened in the past occasionally but as a Langford resident I had never seen it done in the previous years.

torch
Historian

« Reply #27 on: May 25th, 2017, 3:29am »

Monday, June 11, 1990:  Northbound freight at Jacklin road ,Langford.  Gp35, Gp38ac, five 50 ft grey NAHX pressure differential hopper cars, five propane cars, grey CN hopper and caboose.  No boxcars on this one.  I had written down that I was very surprised to see the nahx PD hoppers as that was a rarity on the south end and I am not sure to this day what they were bringing or leaving with. I do know that dry cement is often hauled in these as evidenced by the current day transload at Welcox yard but there was no cement customer in Victoria at the time served by rail .   In the days to come i witnessed more as I will note in the next posts.

« Last Edit: May 25th, 2017, 3:30am by torch » Logged
torch
Historian

« Reply #28 on: May 25th, 2017, 3:37am »

Tuesday,June 12, 1990:  Southbound freight at Langford - gp38ac, gp35 , canada hopper, 2 propane cars, 4 grey nahx pressure differential hoppers , 3 more propane cars , 50 ft orange plug door ribside CP box, black NW 50 ft gondola loaded with coke , red 50 ft CP flatcar loaded with rail, 40 ft brown CP box and caboose.  Decent sized train and a rather eclectic consist. Still no idea of what is the deal with those nahx hoppers.

ENR3005
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #29 on: May 25th, 2017, 8:48pm »

Tuesday, July 16, 1991 - MP 115 to 116 Bowser, North Bound Courtenay Turn, Approximately 11:00am Viewed from Ford Cove On Hornby Island (4 km away, completely lucked out on seeing this given the distance and timing on a camping trip to Tribune Bay). Low nose GP9 82xx, 4 cars, GP9 running in reverse, 1 green CP boxcar (dynamite ?), 1 dark colored gondola (likely for poles), 2 LPG cars for ICG

« Last Edit: May 25th, 2017, 8:49pm by ENR3005 » Logged
torch
Historian

« Reply #30 on: May 25th, 2017, 9:06pm »

on May 25th, 2017, 8:48pm, ENR3005 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Tuesday, July 16, 1991 - MP 115 to 116 Bowser, North Bound Courtenay Turn, Approximately 11:00am Viewed from Ford Cove On Hornby Island (4 km away, completely lucked out on seeing this given the distance and timing on a camping trip to Tribune Bay). Low nose GP9 82xx, 4 cars, GP9 running in reverse, 1 green CP boxcar (dynamite ?), 1 dark colored gondola (likely for poles), 2 LPG cars for ICG

I was always interested in those munitions shipments... kind of reminiscent of the ones CN used to carry on the south end of the Cowichan sub to rocky point before my time.  The E&N carried on with these well into the 90s, did they not?

hillbank
Historian

« Reply #31 on: May 26th, 2017, 1:59am »

Hey Torch, i do remember seeing boxcars spotted either at Buckley bay or the pole spur in Royston in the early 90's, you mentioned boxcars from the feed mills in Duncan, both Top Shelf and Buckerfields were still getting the odd boxcar of bagged products such as beet pulp, dog food etc, most of the cars would be 40 foot orange CP or the old brown Canadian Pacific Railway block letter style with the newsprint service logo on it.
Regarding the grey NAHX pressure hoppers,  i was told by an E&N crew one day that this was drilling mud for the Oil rig that was in Esquimalt Drydock for a refit, that day thier train had 11 of these on a 18 car train with three units going through Cobble Hill.
I am wondering if the cab hop you saw in Langford was the same train i saw leave the outfit cars at Cobble Hill? this train left a few hoppers for Duncan then filled the Cobble Hill siding with the tie gang cars then cab hopped south.
A few other loads i saw go by heading south through Cobble Hill on diffirent trains stick in my mind, a large propeler on a B.C rail bulkhead, a cherry picker on a CP flatcar, a large crane and rigging on three flatcars one BN green one NP brown  and one GN skyblue, a load of steel on a NYC flatcar,a beat up Conrail gondola and of course the transformers on the depressed center flatcars.
Also saw several times one or two Mac and Blo thrall doors that would come back North the next day, Chemainus mill spur was not in use so this makes me think the crews were using these for idler cars.
One question i have, i saw several times Georgia Pacific boxcars on Victoria turns, do you know who recieved them and what the product was?

torch
Historian

« Reply #32 on: May 26th, 2017, 3:25am »

on May 26th, 2017, 1:59am, hillbank wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hey Torch, i do remember seeing boxcars spotted either at Buckley bay or the pole spur in Royston in the early 90's, you mentioned boxcars from the feed mills in Duncan, both Top Shelf and Buckerfields were still getting the odd boxcar of bagged products such as beet pulp, dog food etc, most of the cars would be 40 foot orange CP or the old brown Canadian Pacific Railway block letter style with the newsprint service logo on it.
Regarding the grey NAHX pressure hoppers,  i was told by an E&N crew one day that this was drilling mud for the Oil rig that was in Esquimalt Drydock for a refit, that day thier train had 11 of these on a 18 car train with three units going through Cobble Hill.
I am wondering if the cab hop you saw in Langford was the same train i saw leave the outfit cars at Cobble Hill? this train left a few hoppers for Duncan then filled the Cobble Hill siding with the tie gang cars then cab hopped south.
A few other loads i saw go by heading south through Cobble Hill on diffirent trains stick in my mind, a large propeler on a B.C rail bulkhead, a cherry picker on a CP flatcar, a large crane and rigging on three flatcars one BN green one NP brown  and one GN skyblue, a load of steel on a NYC flatcar,a beat up Conrail gondola and of course the transformers on the depressed center flatcars.
Also saw several times one or two Mac and Blo thrall doors that would come back North the next day, Chemainus mill spur was not in use so this makes me think the crews were using these for idler cars.
One question i have, i saw several times Georgia Pacific boxcars on Victoria turns, do you know who recieved them and what the product was?
 Oh wow,thanks Hillbank... that really clears the mystery up for me regarding the nahx hoppers.  Question tough: I had gone between Langford and Vic in search of their whereabouts because they kept coming but I never found them. Are you suggesting they wouldve been left on the drydock spur? Because that would completly solve the mystery!  thanks.  Also happy to hear of those other odd carloads you mentioned. Off the bat I dont recall Georgia Pacific cars but i will continue to go through my notes.  I do recall many other foreign roads though in 1990 such as Green Mountain railway, middletown and new jersey , lamoile valley railroad and others.

hillbank
Historian

« Reply #33 on: May 28th, 2017, 1:40am »

I was told the cars were going to Esquimalt siding, I dont know if the dockyard spur was still in service at that time. Goose may have a better idea about that.
A few other bits of info for you the siding at Somenos was still fairly active at the time you were making these notes, besides the dust control tank cars a farm equipment company was recieving B.C rail and Cp bulkhead flats with farm machinery and there was also the odd flatcar of logging equipment and transformers for Hydro.
Cobble Hill was used to store TOFC flats for the army trains quite often as well as the outfit cars.
The Duncan Engine house track was removed in 1993, up until then there was always a water car there during the fire season, saw the Sperry car stay there overnight one time, the spur was used alot at one time for storing grain cars.

emilydm
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #34 on: May 28th, 2017, 2:05am »

I remember in about 2000 when they'd freshly cleared off the dockyard spur in preparation for planned storage of the Budd cars there, I counted between 15 and 18 rings on the stumps of alder trees that had been growing between the crossties. So sometime in the mid 1980s was probably the last use of that bit of track.

Jamie_Masters
Railfan
View Profile  

Scan_295_1052x710.jpg - 52133 Bytes
« Reply #35 on: May 29th, 2017, 12:30am »

June, 1990, Esquimalt siding, mile 3.6 Victoria Sub [Photo by Jamie Masters ]

Would these have been those NAHX hoppers that have been discussed in this thread ?

I always did wonder what was the content of those grey hoppers.

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (52133 bytes, 1052x710 pixels)

Click Here to View Image Scan_295_1052x710.jpg - 52133 Bytes

hillbank
Historian

« Reply #36 on: May 29th, 2017, 12:56am »

Yup those are the ones Jamie, thanks for sharing the pic. and thanks to Emily for the info on the Dockyard spur, a couple of questions, when the gondolas of coke used to come in to Victoria how were they unloaded?  
and does anyone remeber when the three CP gondolas showed up loaded with trees?

torch
Historian

« Reply #37 on: May 29th, 2017, 1:53am »

on May 29th, 2017, 12:30am, Jamie_Masters wrote:       (Click here for original message)
June, 1990, Esquimalt siding, mile 3.6 Victoria Sub [Photo by Jamie Masters ]

Would these have been those NAHX hoppers that have been discussed in this thread ?

I always did wonder what was the content of those grey hoppers.

yes!  those were the ones i recorded!

Destroyer_Demian
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #38 on: May 29th, 2017, 5:17pm »

Awesome thread guys. I had to register to post on here again because it's been a few years and I lost my login.  

Torch-it's awesome you took notes during that resurgence of freight to the South Island when you did. I started following the Victoria turn almost on a weekly basis with my cousin Chris right around the time you stopped taking notes in 92. I wish I had followed it a couple years earlier because there was still a lot of freight left back then that rapidly declined in the early 90s. It seemed like the perfect dismal storm when CN left, than the CP yard switcher left Victoria and they stopped running down Store St shortly after all in a matter of a couple of years from 90-92. Regardless your notes are much appreciated and I am amazed with the amount of traffic that was still being brought in and out of Vic at that time.

hillbank-I do remember Victoria Foundries unloading coke shipments with a small excavator type machine into a dump truck. I think Chris might have posted a pic of this years back. I imagine back when the Albion yard was still around they probably would have unloaded the coke there due to it being close to their yard on Pembroke? yes I do distinctly remember the gondolas with trees! I had driven up to Duncan to meet the Southbound Victoria turn at Duncan and remember being surprised to see them in the consist. I asked the crew who they were for and they said the City of Victoria had ordered them. Lol. Cool memories. I sure miss those Victoria turns.

Just a thought about those grey hoppers. Could they have been for Lafarge Cement? They were always a longstanding CP customer.
And yes the bulkheads of brick they used to periodically spot on the admirals Rd. siding were for Slegg Lumber on Admirals Rd. I watched them unload a couple one day.

torch
Historian

« Reply #39 on: May 29th, 2017, 11:32pm »

Guys, this has been great.   I have many more entries to post and to Hillbank   thanks for the extra info.  Glad to finally clear the mystery of the nahx hoppers.. though i had gone and looked for them even near vic ply.. unfortunately i had just not looked far enough down the siding otherwise i woulve seen them.  Also i definitely recall the spur in Duncan at the site of the old enginehouse and i remember often seeing a water car parked there.

Pages: 1 2 3 4  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »