Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 18th, 2017, 10:07pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

early 90s Vic sub E&N consists
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: early 90s Vic sub E&N consists  (Read 983 times)
torch
Historian

« on: May 23rd, 2017, 6:21am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I had an idea for a thread,guys but i wanted to clear it with y'all before proceeding, hear me out:  I have a book of train consist notes of E&N trains in and around victoria from spring 1990 into 1992. I feel that historically they might bear some interest as around that time on the vic sub there was still an interesting variety of traffic and as my notes reveal there seemed to be a noticeable increase in freight on the vic sub for a short time during 90-91. I figured i could share some of these mundane 'gems' and perhaps some of you can add your two cents or your own recollections/notes of consists from that era. One thing though, i didn't always write down the unit numbers but I did at least write down the unit models plus car descriptions, unusual movements, etc.    You game?  thanks.

MinionII
Historian
Re: early 90s Vic sub E&N consists

« Reply #1 on: May 23rd, 2017, 1:06pm »

Post it.

Traffic on the forum is depressingly low.  

torch
Historian

« Reply #2 on: May 23rd, 2017, 8:35pm »

kinda feels silly but here goes my first excerpt: May 1st, 1990, Nortbound freight through Langford ran through late at six pm.  I didn't specifically detail the consist but its was a gp38 leading a gp35, a couple of gov canada hoppers,three boxcars,a few propane tankers and the rest of the train was comprised of military vehicles on flats followed by caboose. One of the boxcar's reporting marks was LRWN... little rock and western railroad.

torch
Historian

« Reply #3 on: May 23rd, 2017, 8:38pm »

May 8th, 1990: Southbound train at Atkins road crossing, 10:30 pm. gp38,gp35, 50 foot orange insulated CP box, 8 propane tankers, 50 foot railbox boxcar and center cupola caboose.

torch
Historian

« Reply #4 on: May 23rd, 2017, 8:40pm »

May 10th, southbound freight at Atkins road crossing: gp38,gp35, black CP grain hopper, two propane tankers, orange 40 foot insulated CP box and center cupola caboose. Pretty short consist.

torch
Historian

« Reply #5 on: May 23rd, 2017, 8:45pm »

May 15, 1990: Southbound at Langford arriving 9:30 pm with 14 cars. gp38,gp35, black CP hopper with multimark, white 3 bay Soo Line hopper, nine propane tankers, 50 ft railbox, 50 ft dark brown CP box and caboose. Switched ICG propane and departed Langford with same number of cars.

torch
Historian

« Reply #6 on: May 23rd, 2017, 8:49pm »

May 16, 1990: Northbound freight at Langford,11:30 am.  gp35, gp38, 40 ft red CP RAIL box (from vic ply) , 50 foot blue box with CP reporting marks, nine propane tankers , the same two empty hoppers from the previous night (cp and soo hoppers) and caboose.

Jamie_Masters
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #7 on: May 23rd, 2017, 9:14pm »

Nice thread, Torch, those were the last interesting years on the Victoria end of the line.

Any more info from that bygone era is very welcome indeed.

torch
Historian

« Reply #8 on: May 23rd, 2017, 11:22pm »

on May 23rd, 2017, 9:14pm, Jamie_Masters wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Nice thread, Torch, those were the last interesting years on the Victoria end of the line.

Any more info from that bygone era is very welcome indeed.

Thank you, Jamie.  I have a whole lot more and believe me it does get a bit more interesting up until 92 when things drastically slow down and the caboose is gone. It really seemed things were picking up for awhile back then and as you will see in my upcoming reports some trains grew to the length of 18 to 20 cars during 90-91, not including the military movements.

torch
Historian

« Reply #9 on: May 24th, 2017, 12:52am »

Tuesday ,may 22, 1990: Southbound freight at Langford... i didn't write the time down but it was usually more or less between 9:30 to 10 anyhow. Gp38, gp35, milwaukee road hopper,  red 40 foot CP box, a few propane tankers, three more red 40 foot CP boxcars lettered for E&N, gov canada hopper, 50 foot green CP box  and center cupola caboose. Switched IGC propane and left with same amount of cars to Victoria.

hillbank
Historian

« Reply #10 on: May 24th, 2017, 12:58am »

good call Torch, i remember at the time there seemed to be longer trains for awhile and more single loads like bricks or pipe on bulkhead flats and my favorite a boat on a CN flatcar. Did you remember when the drilling mud came down for the rig?

torch
Historian

« Reply #11 on: May 24th, 2017, 2:11am »

Thursday,May 24, 1990:   Southbound at Langford, 15 cars.  Gp38, gp35, black CP cylindrical hopper, gov canada hopper, red 40 ft CP box, 5 propane cars, 5 standard trailer train flats(empty) , 40 ft insulated CP box and center cupola caboose.

torch
Historian

« Reply #12 on: May 24th, 2017, 2:15am »

on May 24th, 2017, 12:58am, hillbank wrote:       (Click here for original message)
good call Torch, i remember at the time there seemed to be longer trains for awhile and more single loads like bricks or pipe on bulkhead flats and my favorite a boat on a CN flatcar. Did you remember when the drilling mud came down for the rig?

Hi, Hillbank.. I sure remember some of the odd loads including marine bouys, PVC and bricks.. I am unsure about the drilling mud.  What type of car was that shipped in? I have some notes i will post upcoming about several unknown loads arriving in pressure differential hoppers that happened over the span of one week but im pretty sure those are for lighter weight dry loads.

torch
Historian

« Reply #13 on: May 24th, 2017, 2:20am »

May 25th, 1990, Northbound at Langford.  11 cars.  gp38,gp35 , 50 ft green CP box , brown 50 ft Southern railroad box, 60 ft red CP gondola (empty) , 5 propane cars , black CP cyl. hopper, gov canada hopper and center cupola caboose.   In my notes it also says cars have just begun to be delivered to EH pope in Langford after that building had an absence of rail service since around 1986.

torch
Historian

« Reply #14 on: May 24th, 2017, 2:23am »

Sunday, May 27, 1990.  Unusual southbound at Langford.  Caboose hop. No freight cars.  Gp38 and gp35 for power.  Also of note; ICG propane in Langford never received Sunday service yet at this point. This was to change soon .

torch
Historian

« Reply #15 on: May 24th, 2017, 2:34am »

Tuesday ,May 29th, 1990:  Southbound freight at Langford arriving with 13 cars befrore switching ICG propane and left for victoria with 11.  Gp38-2, gp35, gov canada hopper, 40 ft red CP box, 5 propane cars, 3 fifty ft brown ribside boxcars with CP reporting marks, 40 ft brown CPR box with the old block lettering, fifty ft brown plug door box with the reporting marks obscured and end cupola caboose.

torch
Historian

« Reply #16 on: May 24th, 2017, 2:45am »

Wed,May 29, 1990 : Northbound at Langford,10:30 am. gp35,gp38-2, 40 ft E&N box with plug and sliding door, 40 ft orange insulated CP box, 2 propane cars and the 40 ft red CP box and canada hopper from the previous night's southbound.   A detail I left out of the observation from the previous night is that the red 40 CP box appeared to have grain doors installed (broken through) ,main door partially open.  and I gathered by seeing it go back up on this day along with the hopper that it mustve been an empty that had been unloaded at either buckerfields or top shelf.  I had seen red cp boxes at buckerfields before although I do realize it was a little late in the game for grain to be shipped in 40 ft boxes. I know some grain in this era was still shipped in boxes from low density prarrie branchlines that could not support the weight of bigger,newer hoppers.  Who knows what it was this time though, I'm just going by my notes and memory.

« Last Edit: May 24th, 2017, 9:11pm by torch » Logged
Goose5
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #17 on: May 24th, 2017, 5:20pm »

Interesting information. Thanks for posting Torch. At this time the E&N was bringing hoppers to Victoria to interchange with CN serving Borden Mercantile and the Store St. trackage still served 2 customers.

Dave

torch
Historian

« Reply #18 on: May 24th, 2017, 9:09pm »

on May 24th, 2017, 5:20pm, Goose5 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Interesting information. Thanks for posting Torch. At this time the E&N was bringing hoppers to Victoria to interchange with CN serving Borden Mercantile and the Store St. trackage still served 2 customers.

Dave
  yes sir! i remember well because I went down to the vic west yard and saw borden trucks unloading hoppers on the run around track.. This was just before I had started taking these notes.  I saw elsewhere on the forum some photos that showed it too.

torch
Historian

« Reply #19 on: May 24th, 2017, 9:14pm »

Thursday,May 30th, 1990:  Southbound at Langford at Millstream/goldstream intersection. Gp38-2,Gp35, CP hopper, 5 propane cars, fifty ft brown Southern boxcar and end cupola caboose.

Pages: 1 2 3 4  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »