Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 22nd, 2017, 9:56am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Its been 30 years
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   Its been 30 years
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Its been 30 years  (Read 213 times)
Aaron Lypkie
Historian
Its been 30 years
  The_Niagara_Canyon_Bridge.jpg - 347302 Bytes
« on: Jan 2nd, 2017, 8:53pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Its hard to believe that coming this summer will mark 30 years that I have lived here. My family and I moved to the island in 1987. It was at this same time, that I was introduced to the E&N. I remember for the first year we lived in a townhouse near View Royal Elementary right beside the tracks!

I remember seeing the freights at recess and just standing there with awe. Unfortunately I have no photos (bowing my head in shame). I was 10 then, and never occurred to me to take pictures.

In the summer of 88, I did record every passenger and freight train in audio that went by our place.

So much has changed in 30 years and not all of it in regards to the E&N has been positive.  

I am almost 40 and wonder sometimes what if things could change to save our island railway.....

Image exceeds Forum display limit of 300000 bytes. (347302 bytes, 900x675 pixels)

Click Here to View Image The_Niagara_Canyon_Bridge.jpg - 347302 Bytes

MinionII
Historian
Re: Its been 30 years

« Reply #1 on: Jan 14th, 2017, 12:38pm »

During the late 80s and early 90s, I attended a private school that occupied the big old yellow church building on Fullerton and Raynor. From the corner of the parking lot, there was a sight line down Fullerton, across the Vic West elementary school field, to the railway tracks at about the Wilson road crossing. Every recess and lunch break I would run to the corner of the parking lot and watch if I heard train horns. Good memories.

CPRail4744
Historian
Re: Its been 30 years

« Reply #2 on: Jan 17th, 2017, 1:55am »

That is cool, Minion.  I have similar memories of visiting family friends Up Island (either Duncan or maybe Chemainus - I was very young) and my eyes constantly wandering through the window to the crossbucks near one particular house.
 I wonder if the kids at the elementary school in Vernon listen for train horns on the tracks directly below their playground.
Sometimes I wonder if kids even know what a train is these days...other than a nuisance to their parents waiting at a crossing as the kids ride in the back of the citified SUV, eyes and fingers glued to the Ipad or tablet...

Matt Arnott, Kamloops, B.C.

"I would prefer to see it shipped by train..."
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »