Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Mar 25th, 2017, 5:36pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

In The News- Developer Supports Commuter Rail?
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: In The News- Developer Supports Commuter Rail?  (Read 209 times)
Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« on: Dec 8th, 2016, 12:38am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Developer Working To Get Passenger Rail Service Going Between Langford And Vic West

http://www.iheartradio.ca/cfax-1070/news/developer-working-to-get-passenger-rail-service-going-between-langford-and-vic-west-1.2253737

Langford Mayor Says Developer Proposing Passenger Rail Service Is A Good Partner To Have

http://www.iheartradio.ca/cfax-1070/news/langford-mayor-says-developer-proposing-passenger-rail-service-is-a-good-partner-to-have-1.2255989

George_Harris
Historian
Re: In The News- Developer Supports Commuter Rail?

« Reply #1 on: Dec 8th, 2016, 2:27pm »

Let's see:  In the first reference, Marish is reported to say, "He says, if he can secure funding, . . ."  

In the second reference, it is reported, "Ken Mariash said on CFAX this week that he'll pay for consultants and a business plan to get the ball rolling"

Notice, he is saying that he will pay for studies.  That can be cheap, and certainly is compared to doing the actual work.  Money talks, and here it is not saying much.  When he starts talking about putting out money for track work, for cars, etc., then we can believe something is happening other than another scheme to separate taxpayers from their money for the benefit of a developer.  And, by the way, these service are a constant expense beyond farebox recovery, who will be paying for this?

Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Dec 8th, 2016, 4:09pm »

I was thinking it as a positive since many complain of not much happening.

Here is more

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/developer-aims-to-run-vic-west-to-langford-trains-on-e-n-1.4011338

« Last Edit: Dec 8th, 2016, 4:37pm by Aaron Lypkie » Logged
Dennis Dalla-Vicenza

View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: Dec 9th, 2016, 2:39pm »

I agree with George and I am starting to fall back to my original position about all things ICF. Iit is just another smoke and mirrors show.  

If the developer was all for taking the ICF out of the picture then he would be getting more support.  

As it stands now if councilor Isitt was to support anything other than constant BS from Bruce then I will eat my words but I think most council appointees that are confirmed are just ICF yes men.

« Last Edit: Dec 9th, 2016, 2:40pm by Dennis Dalla-Vicenza » Logged

Never known for Political Correctness
& far from a tag words cut and paste artist.
Port Alberni or Thereabouts.
thehighwayman
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Dec 9th, 2016, 3:09pm »

I pretty much agree with George and Dennis ..
Anyone thinking that they can make commuter rail work in the Victoria is smoking some of that funny stuff!
Where I live in southern Ontario, commuter rail works ... BUT only because government puts major money into. Money that comes from the taxpayer.

Will MacKenzie
Flamborough, ON

Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #5 on: Dec 9th, 2016, 5:03pm »

Right because any news is Bull crap News. Then fine, why even bother trying. Don't trust anyone, because its all a conspiracy.  

Let the corridor rot in hell, and then we can continue the blame game.

Because its too easy to b*tch and complain online then it is to actually to actual work.

People complain about no private interest in the corridor, and then when one does come along we think that its a secret plot by the ICF, or someone is trying to suck tax money from our butts.

Freight will never work

Passenger will never work

Commuter will never work

Tourism will never work

And yet there are those that complain that the cyclists will swoop down and tear up the tracks for the bike trail. WELL THEY WILL IF NO TRAINS RUN. And I wont blame them one bit.

My god people have we come to the point that we are so fed up that when any news that comes up its all a bunch of bull.

Rant over

thehighwayman
Historian

« Reply #6 on: Dec 9th, 2016, 5:54pm »

Not trying to rain on your parade Aaron, but having been around a lot longer than you and having worked around politicians (as a reporter for 23 years - and then another 23 working in government) I can tell you that not a single one of them really gives a rats ass about getting the E&N up and running, ESPECIALLY for commuter or passenger rail. They know that takes subsidies - huge subsidies. And they are all absolutely terrified of doing anything that might mean a tax increase.
It grieves me greatly, but I am of the opinion now that the E&N has no chance of revival.
It did, a few years ago ... but Graham Bruce et al made sure the life support plug was pulled.
I must say I do admit your youthful confidence is refreshing, but it is a confidence I do not share.

Will MacKenzie
Flamborough, ON

George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #7 on: Dec 9th, 2016, 6:29pm »

Let's try this again without the music:  No light density line makes it without some form of government help.  It may not have to be much if it is kept around for light density low speed freight service, but if the desire is to have a viable passenger or commuter service it takes quite a bit more.  You can make it with 10 mph freight service, but you can't make it with 15 mph passenger service.  A major part of the problem with Vancouver Island is geography and population.  That is, it is on the short end for railroad freight to be practical and on the low end for sufficient population for passenger service to be practical, much less profitable.  That is approx 500 km = 310 miles long with no obvious bulk freight source, and 345k metro population for Victoria metro, and only 80k for the city itself.

George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #8 on: Dec 10th, 2016, 12:44am »

Summary:
Freight:  barely break even unless some dedicated traffic, such as the coal mine
Passenger:  Never break even.  Requires significant track upgrades to achieve reasonable speed.  (If you can't make a 60 mph (100 km/h) maximum, forget it.)
Commuter:  Financial equivalent to a cut artery.  Unless roadway improvements for the same passenger capacity are exorbitantly expensive, not worth doing.  The best example of one being done at minimal cost is that east out of Nashville.  To take an iffy 25 mph freight line and get it up to a reliable 60 mph passenger line took US$30 million for 30 miles of line.  

If there is serious consideration of commuter service, send a delegation to Nashville TN, because they appear to have done the best job of getting the most for the money of any known system in the US.

Only in Asia where their idea of a lightly loaded train is about the same as ours for a crush load do they manage to come out financially on passenger traffic.

« Last Edit: Dec 10th, 2016, 12:47am by George_Harris » Logged
HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #9 on: Dec 11th, 2016, 4:17pm »

George - Lodge Members -  

Thanks for insights! Your writer concurs with your observations, drawn from your own long experience.

Recall, your writer a long time, seasoned motor carrier type. Over the years, many have come to the  
same sets of generic "rules of thumb" about the optimal choices in cargo and passenger work...

........................... Vern...................................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
ENR3005
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #10 on: Dec 11th, 2016, 10:07pm »

on Dec 9th, 2016, 5:03pm, Aaron Lypkie wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Right because any news is Bull crap News. Then fine, why even bother trying. Don't trust anyone, because its all a conspiracy.  

Let the corridor rot in hell, and then we can continue the blame game.

Because its too easy to b*tch and complain online then it is to actually to actual work.

People complain about no private interest in the corridor, and then when one does come along we think that its a secret plot by the ICF, or someone is trying to suck tax money from our butts.

Freight will never work

Passenger will never work

Commuter will never work

Tourism will never work

And yet there are those that complain that the cyclists will swoop down and tear up the tracks for the bike trail. WELL THEY WILL IF NO TRAINS RUN. And I wont blame them one bit.

My god people have we come to the point that we are so fed up that when any news that comes up its all a bunch of bull.

Rant over

Aaron I share your frustration that we need some more positive news about the E&N. The bigger problem is that any news story doesn't tell the rest of the story of what is going on in behind the scenes with the so called powers that be. Until those powers get their act together, nothing is going to move over Vancouver Island rails no matter how favorable an article looks. This was indeed a positive read however I can't help think about all the other greedy parties who only care about how they are going to get their piece of the pie.  

An all around shake up is badly needed on the political front and I have often thought that the Nanaimo to Port Alberni section of the E&N and their respective parties should pull out of all of this political nonsense and go it alone so just maybe, rail operations could possibly be restored to the only potentially viable section of the line. Maybe then with a little luck and then a little more luck and a good marketing team, the rest of the E&N may be able to get the positive attention it needs. The railway pretty much needs a miracle to save it at this point as depressing as that thought is to myself. Nothing will change till this horrible game of poker ends with all the parties. Nobody has a good hand in this game.

« Last Edit: Dec 11th, 2016, 10:29pm by ENR3005 » Logged
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »