Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 18th, 2017, 3:34am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Why can't We   .........................??
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Why can't We   .........................??  (Read 155 times)
Dennis Dalla-Vicenza

View Profile  

« on: Nov 21st, 2016, 1:58am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

At one time, upon the formation of the ICF, I was hopeful of a system not unlike the UK and Australia being put into play. The various users would apply for operating rights and pay for their ability to use the line. The ICF actually dropped the ball long before they started failing the people. They almost got it right with the APR but giving them total control of the Port Sub is steadily screwing up any other rail option on the line.

A friend involved with rail everywhere sent me this about how rail preservation works in Australia. We were discussing a huge Garrett locomotive that is running out of running room

Quote:
As far as I know all rail is government owned open access the same as the UK. All users pay a per km access fee per vehicle and provide their own qualified. crews. One issue for the AHRS - ACT has been the cost of the access fees and fuel / water to get their locomotive and passenger cars from Canberra to the population centers where they could earn the revenues needed to remain profitable. It is why I think 6029 will not return to Canberra while it is still in ticket.

This was in answer to what is happening there in Australia, which is also starting to no longer fall for the politically correct climate crisis.

Allowing more than one user at a time is a concept lost on Canadian Rail and that, in itself, is a problem.

« Last Edit: Dec 13th, 2016, 9:25pm by Dennis Dalla-Vicenza » Logged

Never known for Political Correctness
& far from a tag words cut and paste artist.
Port Alberni or Thereabouts.
tfctrains
Historian
Re: Why can't We   .........................??

« Reply #1 on: Nov 22nd, 2016, 2:22pm »

First off I would think we need someone that is knowledgeable in operating railways, running the ICF. Next we need someone that can work with people. Third we need to have someone running the ICF that can engage the people that live and work on Vancouver Island along with the businesses and business people. Just my thought Dennis

MinionII
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Nov 22nd, 2016, 8:37pm »

Even if the ICF could hire someone to take care of the rail aspects, that would be a step in the right direction.

Dennis Dalla-Vicenza

View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: Nov 24th, 2016, 9:13pm »

Isn't it strange that almost every rail advocate or rail-fan in British Columbia knows that the ICF needs to have rail experienced people in their numbers. We all know the ICF has to be reworked into a group pushing for the real revitalization of rail freight and passenger service but neither the senior government bureaucrats or our elected politicians are attempting to fix this problem. The power to rescind the ICF mandate does exist and we need a push to have the federal government get rid of everyone on the board and have the various participating areas elect open representation and force public access to all meetings. It wasn't until the advent of Bruce that the area meetings were mostly forced into "In Camera" sessions and with that came the total secrecy we are having forced on us at present.  

Never known for Political Correctness
& far from a tag words cut and paste artist.
Port Alberni or Thereabouts.
thehighwayman
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Nov 24th, 2016, 11:59pm »

on Nov 24th, 2016, 9:13pm, Dennis Dalla-Vicenza wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Isn't it strange that almost every rail advocate or rail-fan in British Columbia knows that the ICF needs to have rail experienced people in their numbers. We all know the ICF has to be reworked into a group pushing for the real revitalization of rail freight and passenger service but neither the senior government bureaucrats or our elected politicians are attempting to fix this problem. The power to rescind the ICF mandate does exist and we need a push to have the federal government get rid of everyone on the board and have the various participating areas elect open representation and force public access to all meetings. It wasn't until the advent of Bruce that the area meetings were mostly forced into "In Camera" sessions and with that came the total secrecy we are having forced on us at present.  

I must say that I agree with Dennis on this one.
The problem is that all the decisions are being made by politicians. And we all know how they look out for each other, ignoring anyone who is not a politician.

Will MacKenzie
Flamborough, ON

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »