Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 28th, 2017, 6:04pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Where does the discussion happen?
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   Where does the discussion happen?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Where does the discussion happen?  (Read 430 times)
Aaron Lypkie
Historian
Re: Where does the discussion happen?

« Reply #20 on: Oct 27th, 2016, 9:32pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Oct 19th, 2016, 3:43am, Dennis Dalla-Vicenza wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Facebook "Rail For Vancouver Island" but the bulls**t is deeper and smellier.

Gee thanks Dennis

« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2016, 9:33pm by Aaron Lypkie » Logged
Dennis Dalla-Vicenza

View Profile  

« Reply #21 on: Oct 28th, 2016, 1:55am »

Aaron, not aimed at you but you have to know what I mean.  

Never known for Political Correctness
& far from a tag words cut and paste artist.
Port Alberni or Thereabouts.
Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #22 on: Oct 28th, 2016, 9:54pm »

on Oct 28th, 2016, 1:55am, Dennis Dalla-Vicenza wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Aaron, not aimed at you but you have to know what I mean.  

Are you sure it's not the ICF website you are referring to? =)

Dennis Dalla-Vicenza

View Profile  

« Reply #23 on: Oct 29th, 2016, 3:10am »

Aaron, the site you envisioned and what it sometimes becomes are far removed. Too many there believe the answer to everything is to get more government funding. Pretending that there is a real need for rail commuting between Duncan and Victoria is a travesty. Too many start time differentials to think that a two car train can handle the 'need' is not doing anyone justice. Everyone has to remember that from the new McKenzie interchange to mile zero is 8.1 kilometers so with the highway ending you will always have a congestion problem.  

The best chance of commuter succeeding is to get the rails back in place from Sidney to Sooke and interchange with buses in behind the Red Lyon. Removing the vehicles generated within the peninsula will do more to relieve the crawl than any pretend E & N plan. The ICF should concentrate on freight and then once they have ongoing remuneration happening then work on passenger commuters,

George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #24 on: Oct 29th, 2016, 2:36pm »

Unless the population density and traffic are far greater than I think them to be I can't see commuter service as carrying enough people to make it worth while.  That said, if it is wanted, look at how it was done in Nashville.  All in all that is probably the lowest cost commuter system start up ever.  

Think branch line style freight service.  However, there is the short haul nature of anything done on Victoria Island.  Not enough distance between two points  involved without getting wet.  Frankly, I think the chance for any viable freight traffic was blown by the "environmentalists" killing the coal mine.  Yes, the coal is "dirty" but those wanting the stuff are going to get it from somewhere, so why not there to bring money and jobs into the island.  Not everyone can live off dreams and Granddaddy's money.  They do not seem to understand that some people have to go out and sweat to have money to put a roof over their heads and food on the table.  So maybe the coal won't last forever, but fixing up the railroad to carry it should last longer than the traffic.  The legacy will be there for other traffic which might not generate enough revenue to fix up the line.

If these "environmentalists" cannot kill things outright theycan kill things by the death by a 1,000 cuts method of simply causing so much trouble and being so obnoxious that those bring in the industries and jobs simply give up and go elsewhere or decide to not do anything anywhere.  These people know this.  I have always wondered how these people make a living and who so hates the working component of humanity that they keep funding these fanatics.

hillbank
Historian

« Reply #25 on: Oct 30th, 2016, 12:35am »

The problem is here on BANcouver Island there are too many people with the "I,m all right Jack" attitude, and then we have the Hippiecrites, these people who come to the recycling yard with bumper stickers on thier cars that say "save the planet" and " screw the man" then proceed to throw rotten food used diapers and the odd dead animal in recycling bins, oh and also steal anything that is not bolted down as "the man can write it off"
So what has this got to do with the E&N? well as i see it there seems to be very little or no plans over the years at replacing the industries that close or relocate etc with others that can use the same locations and sidings, so many spurs have been torn up, and it makes it difficult for a new business to use rail for either inbound or outbound traffic if they do not have direct rail access. and of course many old mill sites have been turned into condos and other sites, more houses are being built next to the E&N tracks but i see this as not future commuters but more nimbys if the railroad ever gets back running.

MinionII
Historian

« Reply #26 on: Oct 30th, 2016, 1:23am »

Does anyone know who the last customers south of the Malahat were? I'm thinking it was probably ICG in Langford and Superior in Esquimalt. Anyone know when they stopped receiving cars? I believe RA would use the run around just north of the Superior spur, so they weren't making it to the yard in Victoria. I wish I had taken the time to chase that train. I did make it up island to chase the Duncan turn a few times, but nothing into Victoria, and not the Port Alberni turn either unfortunately.

One thing I can't figure out is why the dust control shipments stopped...IIRC, they ceased before the Dayliner stopped running. I think they cut the dust control shipments into Victoria, but still shipped to say Malahat siding or Cobble Hill?

emilydm
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #27 on: Oct 30th, 2016, 2:11am »

The last regular freight customer in Victoria was Superior Propane in Esquimalt, in November 2001. They ran around on the Esquimalt siding, and didn't come all the way to the Vic West yard unless a Budd car needed picking up or dropping off, or it had snowed and the line needed plowed.

Prior to that, I think service to ICG in Langford ended around 1992 or 93, and EH Pope in early 1994.

Dayliner service ended (iirc) in March 2011, and the dust control cars typically showed up in Langford in May or June. They may have put them in the Cobble Hill siding the first year after ending service over the Malahat, but after that until 2014 they were in the Somenos siding just north of the Highway 18 crossing.

MinionII
Historian

« Reply #28 on: Oct 30th, 2016, 12:29pm »

Thanks for the details Emily.

Wow I didn't realize ICG in Langford went away so long ago! My memory is pretty foggy, but I'm sure I recall seeing tank cars in there...

Myself and my brothers had the wonderful opportunity to ride the freight from Victoria to Langford siding one summer evening in the early 90s. We were out for a walk when the offer was extended by the crew at the yard, and my dad raced home to get the car then met us at Langford. We switched superior on the way. Too bad cheap consumer electronics (digital cameras in this case) didn't exist at the time.

Back in those days, the crew always seemed to make it to the yard, perhaps the predominant reason was to turn the unit? I recall seeing them use the passing siding that runs along the songhees to run around the train, and using the turntable to turn the unit. CP seemed to regularly run a single unit on the train at the time. Contrast that with RA and SRY using 2 units all the time regardless of train length...

Dennis Dalla-Vicenza

View Profile  

« Reply #29 on: Oct 30th, 2016, 2:57pm »

I always thought that the propane services were quickly curtailed once the pipeline to the Island was completed.  

Like all forms of transportation each becomes redundant when a more favorable option exists. Rail as a passenger carrying option started dying in the 30s to 40s and any thoughts of resurrection are moot. I agree  with George that we have too many fools out there decrying everything industrial as being bad for us.  

The coal would have provided revenue for the railroad but a group of three environmental ninnies leading the Island Sheeple on a wild goose chase killed that option. None of the three have a real clue of what coal does in the steelmaking process but even when the use was explained to them from a 30 year veteran of that industry we were shown that his IT experiences trumped real metallurgical experiences and the environmental fools reined supreme again. Two of the three are now attempting to kill a new industry in Port Alberni. I guess that is a good thing because when Canada gets to be third world all needs for environmental rules get thrown out the window.

« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2016, 2:58pm by Dennis Dalla-Vicenza » Logged

Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »