Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 20th, 2017, 7:55pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

New TSA reached! Service starting in Nanaimo! Track work 9mos
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   New TSA reached! Service starting in Nanaimo! Track work 9mos
« No topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: New TSA reached! Service starting in Nanaimo! Track work 9mos  (Read 1942 times)
Dennis Dalla-Vicenza

View Profile  

Re: New TSA reached! Service starting in Nanaimo! Track work 9mos

« Reply #60 on: Apr 7th, 2017, 7:48pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Apr 7th, 2017, 8:32am, HwyHaulier wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Crofton - Lodge Members -

SIGH! Seasoned lawyers and barristers often use a phrase, "Pyrrhic Victory". Useful way of stating matters?

A vital issue otherwise? Where's the freight? Absent solid cargo hauls, where funds to support continuing  
overheads of costs of plant? Just another bill to pay for Nanaimo area taxpayers? (Old movie. Wake me when  
it is over.)

..................  Vern  .................

Vern old buddy, you forgot the obligatory YAWN!!!!

Never known for Political Correctness
& far from a tag words cut and paste artist.
Port Alberni or Thereabouts.
George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #61 on: Apr 8th, 2017, 12:37am »

When I read this statement by chrisale in another thread, Quote:
The railways future will be in a healthy mix of freight, passenger and commuter traffic.
I could hardly think of a polite response and still can't.  If there is a railroad in North America operating with a positive cash flow from passenger and commuter service, particularly commuter service, let me know.  Therefore, if such a mix is considered healthy financially, I don't see how, unless you are looking at the 1920's or earlier.

The only commuter service that I can think of that has ever been profitable in my now 70 plus year lifetime was that of the Chicago and Northwestern into Chicago and that was quite a few years back.  One of the commenters in the the trade press about it ran like, "It is like watching a hippopotamus do ballet.  It is not that it does it so well, but that it is able to do it at all."

Dennis Dalla-Vicenza

View Profile  

« Reply #62 on: Apr 8th, 2017, 11:36pm »

Moonbeam would do well in California. He can outweird the weird found there.

George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #63 on: Apr 8th, 2017, 11:58pm »

on Apr 8th, 2017, 11:36pm, Dennis Dalla-Vicenza wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Moonbeam would do well in California. He can outweird the weird found there.

I don't know about your weird sufficiently to argue.  However, if they are anywhere close to each other my recommendation would be that the response of all people potentially affected should be the same as in the following redneck joke:

When the guy says, "Here, hold my beer and watch this," you should run to put as much distance between you and him as possible as those are likely to be his last words and the last life experience for anyone near him.  

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #64 on: Apr 9th, 2017, 8:31am »

George - Lodge Members -

Background for readers? A search helpful for BEN HEINEMAN Obituary - Chicago, IL | Chicago Tribune

The ca. 1960 experience at C&NW and its commuter system, unique to Chicago. It needed much work, prior his  
arrive at the railroad. Many of the service runs held down system schedules with second hand rolling stock, no  
longer needed on C&NW "400" intercity network. Also, much older, nearly archaic commute service coaches.  
More, many Chicago commute runs with steam power...

Yes, yes! With Heineman, C&NW acquired a large order of the bi-level commute cars. The steam power ended,  
as more Diesel units moved from ending "400" services. The trade press impressed, and all of it with much good p.r.

Whether it actually yielded net returns? It would take some forensic accounting to check just how much magic and  
finance came into play. Ledger sheets can tell any story wished by the client? (Related, in the era, it the accounting  
work which Lou Menk used to shut down the CB&Q "Zephyr System" operations.)

...................  Vern  ....................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
Dennis Dalla-Vicenza

View Profile  

« Reply #65 on: Apr 9th, 2017, 6:13pm »

Vern et al,

Rode the Westshore route trains ex Chicago via West Allis bound o football games numerous times. I preferred the sway of the old heavyweights but didn't get the two tiered system use until GO in the Toronto / Burlington runs for a couple years when we were traded from the home company to the competitor to gauge differences in material metallurgical practices between the companies.  

When you look at the train traffic into and out of Canada's largest city you see it has doubled since I regularly used it but on the flip side the highways which we about 6 lanes in each direction are now upwards of twenty in each direction depending on what you call express, feeder and collectors. If Toronto was to go 100% commuter rail tomorrow the workings would come to a standstill; something totally lost on the minions of today.  

« Last Edit: Apr 9th, 2017, 10:14pm by Dennis Dalla-Vicenza » Logged

Dennis Dalla-Vicenza

View Profile  

« Reply #66 on: Nov 12th, 2017, 2:20am »

This thread is a great comic relief. Its been 1320 days since this big announcement and we are still going nowhere fast. Makes me so happy I had the OP pegged for a BK all those years ago.  

CroftonSpur88
Historian

« Reply #67 on: Nov 17th, 2017, 10:05pm »

It is indeed quite silly. Almost as much as the "E&N Track Work" thread.

"the rails are somewhere under those weeds"
Pages: 1 2 3 4  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« No topic | Next topic »