Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Mar 23rd, 2017, 10:28am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

New TSA reached! Service starting in Nanaimo! Track work 9mos
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   New TSA reached! Service starting in Nanaimo! Track work 9mos
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: New TSA reached! Service starting in Nanaimo! Track work 9mos  (Read 1523 times)
chrisale
Historian
Re: New TSA reached! Service starting in Nanaimo! Track work 9mos

« Reply #20 on: Apr 4th, 2014, 12:21am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Apr 3rd, 2014, 11:27pm, JRPhotography wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I realize there were employees there from SVI but I'm sorry to me someone from the upper ranks should have been on hand to answer questions or give a statement. ICF can only speak for its self which they did but neither of the other parties were there to add there piece and VIA obviously has a different opinion than ICF.

Cheers,

JR

Don MacGregor was standing right next to Graham Bruce the entire time during the annoucement.  He was referenced by Ms. Ashley during the announcement as having come up with the business plan.  I'm sure the media could have asked him whatever they wanted on behalf of SVI.

I don't remember Frank Butzelaar at any other ICF announcement so I'm not sure why he would have to be there now when he has people there to answer anything that comes up.  Unlike VIA.

« Last Edit: Apr 4th, 2014, 12:22am by chrisale » Logged

:+) :+? :/
------
http://www.murkyview.com
http://www.alberniweather.ca
chrisale
Historian

« Reply #21 on: Apr 4th, 2014, 12:30am »

The statement of congratulations from Nanaimo-Alberni MP James Lunney:
http://www.jameslunneymp.ca/english/?p=3008

Quote:

April 2, 2014

Re: Train Service Agreement

As the Member of Parliament for Nanaimo-Alberni, I am pleased that the Southern Rail and Via have been able to come to agreement on a long- awaited Train Service Agreement.

Today is a day to celebrate this milestone and a new opportunity to keep a rail future on Vancouver Island. I know Southern and ICF are well-advanced in preparation to complete the upgrades and restore service.

With a vastly improved and user-friendly schedule, I am sure our Island communities and residents will take up the opportunity that restored service represents. This has been a long and challenging process.

I am pleased that the provincial government stepped forward, which allowed us to secure a matching federal contribution, the Regional Districts and local communities have all played a role to bring us to this day. Today, I congratulate everyone involved, let’s all pull together, take advantage of the opportunity and ensure that a rail that brought Vancouver Island into Confederation as part of British Columbia remains a vital part of life and experience on Vancouver Island for residents and visitors alike.

With my hearty congratulations,
James Lunney MP

Nanaimo-Alberni

And today I personally emailed Jaques Gagnon to get his direct answers to 4 questions.  He could not have been much more... short.

This is Verbatim:
Quote:

Has a tentative agreement been reached with Southern Railway as was announced by the ICF yesterday? There is no formal agreement reached between VIA Rail Canada and SVI/ICF

Did VIA email the ICF and SVI permission to hold the press conference yesterday and use the term tentative agreement as co-Chair Judith Sayers has indicated in public interviews? No

Will the tentative agreement be submitted to the VIA Rail board for ratification and if so when? Hypothetical

Are there details you can share about the tentative agreement that the ICF has not already shared? No

on Apr 3rd, 2014, 11:46pm, Chris_C wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I can understand GB and the ICF's frustration if that is the level of response they are getting too....  

Ya.
Sounds like James Lunney is rather annoyed with the response from VIA too.

I think Jaques Gagnon has been listening to too many VI naysayers who have him on speed dial.  Perhaps that's part of the reason it has taken so long... And why the story didn't change from Gagnon for so long while it appears a completely different deal emerged above his head.

http://www.pqbnews.com/news/253817591.html
Quote:

"Nanaimo-Alberni MP James Lunney said Thursday he has learned through "high-level discussions" there is a tentative agreement between Southern Rail and VIA Rail for the re-start of passenger rail service on Vancouver Island.

While VIA Rail officials say negotiations continue and there is no agreement of any kind to announce, Lunney said he was disappointed VIA didn't participate in the Island Corridor Foundation's news conference Wednesday that proclaimed a "tentative agreement" had been reached between VIA and Southern.

"It is disappointing that VIA didn't stand with the ICF at this time," said Lunney. "I have assurance from both ends that there is a tentative agreement. The agreement is there."

Lunney would not speculate on when any official announcement would come, but he said "there's no excuses for delaying anymore."

And Gagnon's "there is no FORMAL agreement" got broken down by the Times Colonist.

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/islanders-and-via-rail-at-odds-over-whether-there-s-a-deal-1.940302

Quote:

Via Rail spokesman Jacques Gagnon was less effusive. “As of today, there’s no deal that has been signed,” he said. “I’m not privy to the verbatim of what the announcement was earlier today, but I can only state that discussions are still ongoing and, as of now, there’s no signed deal.”

Asked about the foundation’s description of a “tentative deal,” Gagnon said: “I would leave it to them to describe what is a tentative agreement or an agreement in principle. We all know that, in business, a contract is valid from the moment both parties sign and we’re not there.”

Mr. gagnon also knows that tentative agreement and agreement in principle are also extremely common business terms.  The fact he insists on saying a "valid contract" is not in place, which the ICF has never suggested, but does not deny that a tentative or agreement in principle is... Just shows he's avoiding, and most likely the ICF and SVI are right, there is a tentative agreement, or whatever you want to call it. lol.

« Last Edit: Apr 4th, 2014, 12:39am by chrisale » Logged

------
JRPhotography
Railfan

« Reply #22 on: Apr 4th, 2014, 12:35am »

Thanks Chris I appreciate your thoughts on my post. As I stated I'm not sure what to believe at this point.  

Until next month...  

Cheers,

JR

My Photo Collection: http://jrphotography.rrpicturearchives.net/
chrisale
Historian

« Reply #23 on: Apr 4th, 2014, 12:43am »

on Apr 4th, 2014, 12:35am, JRPhotography wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Thanks Chris I appreciate your thoughts on my post. As I stated I'm not sure what to believe at this point.  

Until next month...  

Cheers,

JR

No worries.  ICF AGM is the week after next, so let's hope this thing gets ratified then!

------
chrisale
Historian

« Reply #24 on: Apr 4th, 2014, 11:11am »

on Apr 4th, 2014, 12:43am, chrisale wrote:       (Click here for original message)

No worries.  ICF AGM is the week after next, so let's hope this thing gets ratified then!

The Peak Radio in Port Alberni is reporting this morning  that VIA Rail is says "There is a tentative agreement on the table that must be signed".  That's a quote from Mylene Bélanger, not Jaques Gagnon.  Discussions are ongoing to finalize it before it is ratified.

Gee.  Why couldn't they have said that on Wednesday.  Yeesh.

« Last Edit: Apr 4th, 2014, 11:12am by chrisale » Logged

------
HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #25 on: Apr 4th, 2014, 12:02pm »

All Hands -  

Use of word 'tentative'? As a blanket remark, lawyers are most careful in use of language. A grammar mentor might suggest the  
word a 'conditional operator' (otherwise, 'weasel word'?). Or, as used, it likely means, "...maybe it can happen, maybe it won't?)...

Patience will be its own reward here? In your own writer's critiques here, suggestion the complex of several entities, all at cross  
purposes, present a very challenging administrative set of issues. As the late Abraham Lincoln once remarked, more or less,  
"...You can't please all of the people, all of the time!...". Recall, he was a Lawyer by training and experience...

.........................FWIW....................Vern.......................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
Jamie_Masters
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #26 on: Apr 4th, 2014, 12:23pm »

on Apr 4th, 2014, 12:02pm, HwyHaulier wrote:       (Click here for original message)
All Hands -  

Use of word 'tentative'? As a blanket remark, lawyers are most careful in use of language. A grammar mentor might suggest the  
word a 'conditional operator' (otherwise, 'weasel word'?). Or, as used, it likely means, "...maybe it can happen, maybe it won't?)...

Patience will be its own reward here? In your own writer's critiques here, suggestion the complex of several entities, all at cross  
purposes, present a very challenging administrative set of issues. As the late Abraham Lincoln once remarked, more or less,  
"...You can't please all of the people, all of the time!...". Recall, he was a Lawyer by training and experience...

.........................FWIW....................Vern.......................

"You can't please all of the people, all of the time ". I hereby submit that this becomes the official E&N/ICF slogan from this day forward.

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #27 on: Apr 4th, 2014, 12:30pm »

Jamie -

Thanks! I try! It ain't easy being an Old Coot Emeritus with occasional observations of reality! Life ain't fair?

..........................Vern........................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
blackdog
Railfan

« Reply #28 on: Apr 4th, 2014, 12:33pm »

Leaving aside the question whether anyone can believe anything they are told by any of the major players in this saga, there are some questions which I would have raised at this event had I been there, and had it been a properly constituted press conference (as I would understand that in England).
VIA Rail said it would NOT sign up to anything that cost more than the 1.4million per annum  it had previously spent.
Nanaimo-Victoria-Courtenay-Victoria-Nanaimo, involves an extra return Nanaimo-Victoria trip over and above what was previously operated. That must cost more than it cost previously.
Since the previous timetable took from around 8am-6pm to complete, VIA is either going to need to set out from Nanaimo at around 5am and get back there at about 9pm, OR the train is going to have to go substantially faster.  
I doubt that a spot-re-sleepering patch up job will allow trains to tun faster than before (was the speed limit 45mph?) and you would need long stretches at 65mph-plus to fit that journey diagram into a workable timescale.
Furthermore, it would surely require more than one crew - possibly changing crews at Nanaimo with one crew working a split shift.
Subjecting this whole thing to practical scruntiny seems to me to show that you can't get all that extra mileage for the same money. So unless someone has agreed to stump up extra subsidy cash, the whole thing doesn't wash.
CHRIS LEIGH

chrisale
Historian

« Reply #29 on: Apr 4th, 2014, 12:42pm »

on Apr 4th, 2014, 12:23pm, Jamie_Masters wrote:       (Click here for original message)

"You can't please all of the people, all of the time ". I hereby submit that this becomes the official E&N/ICF slogan from this day forward.

I second that motion!  All in Favour?!

------
HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #30 on: Apr 4th, 2014, 1:15pm »

CHRIS LEIGH dba blackdog - All -

Thanks for your objective Operations Analysis! (This is way above pay grade for the 'railfan' element!)

As I am incurable Operations Junkie, I relate to it. I don't claim to foresee the future. If this entire matter does not  
reduce to a couple of Highway Coach schedules, each way, your writer will be astonished. (What's wrong with that?  
New Highway Coaches have Wi-Fi!)

In event, it does not solve the, "...Where's the freight?..." issues...

.............................Vern.......................

Chris_C
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #31 on: Apr 4th, 2014, 1:24pm »

on Apr 4th, 2014, 12:33pm, blackdog wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Leaving aside the question whether anyone can believe anything they are told by any of the major players in this saga, there are some questions which I would have raised at this event had I been there, and had it been a properly constituted press conference (as I would understand that in England).
VIA Rail said it would NOT sign up to anything that cost more than the 1.4million per annum  it had previously spent.
Nanaimo-Victoria-Courtenay-Victoria-Nanaimo, involves an extra return Nanaimo-Victoria trip over and above what was previously operated. That must cost more than it cost previously.
Since the previous timetable took from around 8am-6pm to complete, VIA is either going to need to set out from Nanaimo at around 5am and get back there at about 9pm, OR the train is going to have to go substantially faster.  
I doubt that a spot-re-sleepering patch up job will allow trains to tun faster than before (was the speed limit 45mph?) and you would need long stretches at 65mph-plus to fit that journey diagram into a workable timescale.
Furthermore, it would surely require more than one crew - possibly changing crews at Nanaimo with one crew working a split shift.
Subjecting this whole thing to practical scruntiny seems to me to show that you can't get all that extra mileage for the same money. So unless someone has agreed to stump up extra subsidy cash, the whole thing doesn't wash.
CHRIS LEIGH

I thought it was said that SRVI and the ICF were going to take up any of the additional costs and risk over the standard VIA yearly investment?

Banned User
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #32 on: Apr 4th, 2014, 1:54pm »

I don't think the track work will take 9 months.

I've seen as much as 1 mile being fixed in a day.

If they get a big enough crew I think it will go much faster depending on what trestle work is being done.

I wonder if the CN buddcar will come over to test the track?

Banned User
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #33 on: Apr 4th, 2014, 2:22pm »

A good slogan, indeed Chrisale.

However, If I can suggest another possible choice.

To quote Pro wrestler "Rowdy Roddy Piper"-" Just when you think you got the answers-I change the questions"!

chrisale
Historian

« Reply #34 on: Apr 4th, 2014, 2:36pm »

on Apr 4th, 2014, 2:22pm, 404 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
A good slogan, indeed Chrisale.

However, If I can suggest another possible choice.

To quote Pro wrestler "Rowdy Roddy Piper"-" Just when you think you got the answers-I change the questions"!

LOL... I always had a soft spot for Rowdy Roddy Piper!  Is that a friendly amendment to the motion?

Came across this this morning from the Times Colonist, a feature interview with Southern Railway. We now have the tri-fecta represented.

http://www.timescolonist.com/southern-railway-buoyed-by-tentative-deal-for-island-service-1.942264
"Southern Railway buoyed by tentative deal for Island service"
Quote:

Don McGregor, project manager for railways infrastructure improvement at Southern, said that while the deal hasn’t been finalized, it marks a significant step in the project negotiations.

“We feel very good about it, we think it’s fair on both sides,” McGregor said.

“We took the better part of two years to arrive at this point, so I believe it’s significant.”

McGregor emphasized the word “tentative.” The boards of all three organizations must approve the agreement and finalize funding before any work begins.

He couldn’t share any details of the deal, saying they are “confidential at this point.”

The Southern board is expected to approve the deal in a matter of “weeks, maybe a couple of months,” he said, but could not speak to the boards of Via Rail or the Island Corridor Foundation.

He said Southern and Via Rail have been working “very well” together.

------
SRY 110
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #35 on: Apr 4th, 2014, 2:48pm »

Choo Choo folks....work will start this summer...

More focus on the positive...less on the negative..
cn2220
Historian

« Reply #36 on: Apr 4th, 2014, 6:40pm »

on Apr 4th, 2014, 1:54pm, 404 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I wonder if the CN buddcar will come over to test the track?

I highly doubt it.

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
Banned User
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #37 on: Apr 4th, 2014, 11:37pm »

Ahhh 2220 you are such a party pooper!

95XXX
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #38 on: Apr 5th, 2014, 10:16am »

http://www.nanaimodailynews.com/news/proposed-rail-agreement-requires-ratification-1.942437

Tentative agreement is on the table.

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #39 on: Apr 5th, 2014, 11:03am »

on Apr 5th, 2014, 10:16am, 95XXX wrote:       (Click here for original message)
http://www.nanaimodailynews.com/news/proposed-rail-agreement-requires-ratification-1.942437

Tentative agreement is on the table.

95XXX -

Thanks! We'll see! This has to be classic, "Mission Impossible"? How can so many parties ever mutually agree to the deal?

.........................Vern..........................

Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »