Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 23rd, 2017, 5:36pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

New Vancouver Island Board Policy
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: New Vancouver Island Board Policy  (Read 782 times)
Henry
Historian

« on: Mar 28th, 2013, 4:32am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

As most of you know it has been somewhat of a free for all mud slinging contest with phony accounts disrupting things much of the time in this board. It has driven away many good forum members and greatly diminished the value of this board for the rest of us. It has come to a head over the past few weeks and has even caused me to consider shutting down the VI board.

Many of the most egregious offenders have been banned and most of the rest have self-deleted over the past week or so. I have deleted a lot of posts and traded emails and PM's with a number of people about what to do about it all.  

The decision I have made is to initiate a "low tolerance" policy for disruptive and/or disparaging posts in this board. Obvious falsehoods, mud slinging, name calling, etc will be immediately deleted. New members who appear to be posting for the apparent purpose of disrupting discussions will be quickly banned or deleted. Old members doing the same will be given ONE chance before losing access. Anyone who is obviously attempting to make someone else feel bad is not welcome here. Anyone caught deliberately lying to me about anything for any reason will lose access.

Arguments are often a part of discussions and that is to be expected, BUT A VISIBLE LACK OF RESPECT FOR OTHERS' OPINIONS WILL NOT BE TOLERATED. All posts MUST maintain a civil tone. Outright accusations of malfeasance, whether toward the ICF, SVI, EETG or any other non-government group must either consist of easily verifiable information or include citations of fact and not just rumor or innuendo. All others are subject to deletion and the ONE warning of loss of access.

The VI board exists for you to share information and photos about the past, current and future rail operations on Vancouver Island. In general, it should be an enjoyable experience for you to participate here.  

I have resisted taking the heavy handed approach to this board, but I believe it is needed now. If you can't play nice, you can't play here.

Henry

HwyHaulier
Historian
Re: New Vancouver Island Board Policy

« Reply #1 on: Mar 28th, 2013, 7:42am »

Henry -  

Completely Concur! Play nice, or this isn't the right venue!

There is a dark side in the entire genre of the bickering. It is not that much of stretches of line! The infighting and hurt feelings a purely local issue.
We have seen messages over propositions so barren, or so silly, or both, it is more like a food fight at a pre-school day care center!

......................Vern..........................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
chrisale
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Mar 28th, 2013, 11:43am »

Thank you Henry.

:+) :+? :/
------
http://www.murkyview.com
http://www.alberniweather.ca
Piglet
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Mar 28th, 2013, 11:58am »

thank you. my visit here had dropped off greatly due to the issues.

we learn from the past
Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Mar 28th, 2013, 11:12pm »

It is too bad that is has come to this.  The E&N has brought up a lot of emotional debate but it has gone to the point where it has been degraded to personal and professional attacks.

George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #5 on: Mar 29th, 2013, 2:29am »

Thank you, Henry.

Sorry it has come to this.  The selective reading comprehension of some has also been part of the problem, where some appear to read a piece of a sentence or paragraph only to the extent that it enabled them to pick a fight.

« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2013, 12:08am by George_Harris » Logged
Dayliner
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #6 on: Mar 29th, 2013, 10:09pm »

Thank you Henry.  Like Piglet, I've been spending a lot less time here lately, and when I have come here it's been to lurk rather than post.  There are (or were) a lot of good people on this board with lots to share.  I don't always agree with everything that's posted here, but all civil and constructive contributions are always welcome in my book.  Perhaps we can encourage some of those more thoughtful contributors to return.

Life without trains? Inconceivable!
thehighwayman
Historian

« Reply #7 on: Mar 29th, 2013, 11:14pm »

I too want to thank Henry for his efforts to bring some civility back to this forum.

Like a number of others, I had slid back into lurking mode, somewhat fearful of joining in too many conversations.  

Will MacKenzie
Flamborough, ON

Mimico
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #8 on: Apr 2nd, 2013, 11:53am »

Yes, I'd virtually given up on this, too. I need this board to keep in touch with what is (or isn't) happening on the island's railways, but when there's one train movement a month reported and to find it you have to read your way through piles of childish rubbish, it's not worth wasting my time. Happy to see you've come down heavy on them.
CHRIS LEIGH

Polar
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #9 on: Apr 2nd, 2013, 7:01pm »

on Apr 2nd, 2013, 11:53am, Mimico wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Yes, I'd virtually given up on this, too. I need this board to keep in touch with what is (or isn't) happening on the island's railways, but when there's one train movement a month reported and to find it you have to read your way through piles of childish rubbish, it's not worth wasting my time. Happy to see you've come down heavy on them.
CHRIS LEIGH

Plenty more then one train movement a month.  They go to Topself (Duncan) once a week and up to Superior propane 2-3 times a week.

grobrailman
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #10 on: Sep 23rd, 2013, 4:32pm »

Henry.

It has been some months since I have visited this forum and I have just today read the new board policy.  I agree that this has long needed to be put into place and you needed to say what you did.
Now once again I hope to enjoy (but not always agree) this board.  
Thank you.

Gord.  

Pyronova

View Profile  

« Reply #11 on: Dec 28th, 2013, 5:07pm »

Reminder to all to re-read the posting rules here.

Moderator of: Mainline - Rail Safety; Regional Areas - British Columbia & Vancouver Island; Fallen Flags - The Milwaukee Road; & Model Railroading - N-Scale .

Dayliner
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #12 on: Dec 28th, 2013, 6:09pm »

Thanks for cleaning up whatever mess erupted in here over the holidays.  SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry, your efforts are appreciated even though it must feel like a thankless and never-ending task at times.

Michael

Life without trains? Inconceivable!
Pyronova

View Profile  

« Reply #13 on: Sep 18th, 2014, 7:00pm »

This is a friendly update reminder about forum posting rules.

I have recently had to delete negative, off-topic postings.

Play nice or not at all.

Moderator of: Mainline - Rail Safety; Regional Areas - British Columbia & Vancouver Island; Fallen Flags - The Milwaukee Road; & Model Railroading - N-Scale .

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »