Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 28th, 2017, 8:30am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

**** We need to address this.
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: **** We need to address this.  (Read 647 times)
Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« on: Jan 1st, 2013, 10:25pm »

My appologies to the Moderators, but I must bring this up. Please feel free to delete this thread.

We have an issue, I am afraid that the only memory of saving this railway that will be left are the constant bashing, bantering, insulting amongst the supporters. There is a difference between having an opinion and expressing it and sending personal and unprofessional attacks to others.  

What started as a serious effort amongst everyone to come together to bring the E&N into local control (the eventual ICF) has now morphed into nothing more than what amounts to a bunch of kids fighting over a sandbox.  

I am well aware of how we all feel about this railway and it has brought up a lot of tension in the past few years. We all have our opinions and that is fine, but isn't fine are the personal and unsupported professional attacks.

I support criticism, some sarcasim and healthy debate, but.....

....What good is this railway if its own supporters cant even get along regardless if anyone is wrong or right.

« Last Edit: Jan 8th, 2013, 11:17am by Pyronova » Logged
Jason King
Historian
Re: We need to address this.

« Reply #1 on: Jan 1st, 2013, 11:57pm »

I think you may guess, based on my earlier post, that I completely agree. This, and to be fair, most forums now, are being trolled by people who let their personal opinions get the best of them.  

The "anger" against the ICF is really interesting, especially from a select few who seem to hold personal grudges again the organization and its members. Certain E&N supporters seem to think that the railway belongs to them, and that they should be in charge. Perhaps it's jealously, I don't know.

I'm all for free speech, but spouting biased attacks based on unproven "facts" isn't productive.

J\

CPRail4744
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Jan 2nd, 2013, 1:40am »

Thank-you, Gentlemen,

I will be removing my previous post in the "Wild and crazy idea" thread regarding the reprimand of a particular poster.  I was frustrated by the content of his retorts to long-time members who are valued.

I do wish for some kind of professional respect and harmony amongst the members of this forum, despite diametrically opposite opinions.

I also do not approve of the way there is a continued open bashing, whether  sarcastically, humorously, or angrily,  of the ICF directors or other politicians by name, despite one's personal feelings about them.

If my postings of Youtube videos of other un-maintained RR's has offended, do let me know.   They were put up in a sense of sincere humor, let alone amazement, nor were they intended to reflect on the present efforts of SRY to maintain the E&N.

-Matt Arnott, Kamloops, B.C.

Matt Arnott, Kamloops, B.C.

"I would prefer to see it shipped by train..."
Gyralite
Banned User
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: Jan 2nd, 2013, 1:47am »

Well Jason freedom of speech is allowed in this country.

You can be an ICF supporter all you want but aren't you suspicious of a secretive group that refuses to release meeting minutes or allow members of the public who OWN this railroad to attend meetings?

Wouldn't you be suspicious of your local city council if they banned the public from council meetings and refused to release meeting minutes to the public?

You don't like it when people are honest and give honest opinions.

Too many of you here are sheep that are far too willing to "drink the kool-aid"

The ICF is accountable to us and they need to allow public input.

I, as one of the owners of this railway have a right to know what is going on with this railway.

These forums are here for people to communicate free thought AND opinions.

And yes the TAXPAYERS own this railway NOT the ICF!

You need to read the document that states the E&N Railway is donated to the TAXPAYERS of Vancouver Island NOT the ICF.

chrisale
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Jan 2nd, 2013, 1:48am »

Well said Coastrail.   I have been on Internet fora across a range of topics since they first appeared and this is both one of the best for interesting and informative content and one of the worst for unmitigated trolling that I have ever seen.

People need to leave their personal vendettas at the door.  If you are opposed to the direction of the ICF, fine.  But criticism has to be constructive.  

Personal attacks against the board, the politicians, the staff, or anyone else do nothing but weaken the whole endeavour.  People should not be labelled as either trouble makers or -ss kissers.

:+) :+? :/
------
http://www.murkyview.com
http://www.alberniweather.ca
Pyronova

View Profile  

Re: **** We need to address this.

« Reply #5 on: Jan 8th, 2013, 11:32am »

Vancouver Island and E&N are obviously passionate subjects to many,  however;
Too many posts in the last few years here on railfan.net have been negative, derogatory and abusive towards members here on railfan.net, railway workers and government officials.

THIS WILL STOP NOW!

There are too many members with valid comments no longer posting here.  
They've been chased away.  

Keep it civil and non-abusive to all involved.

Moderator of: Mainline - Rail Safety; Regional Areas - British Columbia & Vancouver Island; Fallen Flags - The Milwaukee Road; & Model Railroading - N-Scale .

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »