Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 24th, 2017, 2:00am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

E+N Track Work
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   E+N Track Work
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: E+N Track Work  (Read 6043 times)
chrisale
Historian
Re: E+N Track Work

« Reply #40 on: Nov 2nd, 2012, 10:29pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Nov 2nd, 2012, 10:23pm, vicguy wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Um, what was that? Any details?

They announced it when they announced the funding drive.

http://www.islandrail.ca/how-you-can-help/towards-restoration-your-contribution-will-make-rail-service-a-reality/

Not many other details... Though with that kind of commitment, I almost don't care.

Also on that page:
"Upon project completion, SVI will inject approximately $42 million over 10 years into the Island economy for wages, salaries, goods and services."

« Last Edit: Nov 2nd, 2012, 10:34pm by chrisale » Logged

:+) :+? :/
------
http://www.murkyview.com
http://www.alberniweather.ca
vicguy
Historian

« Reply #41 on: Nov 2nd, 2012, 10:39pm »

on Nov 2nd, 2012, 10:29pm, chrisale wrote:       (Click here for original message)

They announced it when they announced the funding drive.

http://www.islandrail.ca/how-you-can-help/towards-restoration-your-contribution-will-make-rail-service-a-reality/

Not many other details... Though with that kind of commitment, I almost don't care.

Ah ok, thanks Chris, I read that incorrectly, was thinking of something else

Chris

click here for E&N and other rail photos

Rail videos here
Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #42 on: Nov 3rd, 2012, 1:46am »

on Nov 2nd, 2012, 9:30am, Polar wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Rumor has it they will be putting a siding somewhere between Lampson st and Wilson st for passing.  I believe there use to be one there.

Actually there never was a siding there, but many switches to serve the warehouses. But there is room to put a siding. The only thing that is needed is to move the location of the powerline poles over.

There is still room to put in a siding near where the old one is being removed (further south near the reserve)

railpuck
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #43 on: Nov 3rd, 2012, 1:33pm »

on Nov 2nd, 2012, 10:04pm, chrisale wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Don't forget SVI is under contract, they cannot walk away.  Plus they have signed a new 25 year $70 million contract for the Mainline hinging on the approval RD funding.

Why would you attempt to sign a 25 year old deal, when you don't even know if the funding will get approved. Maybe it looks good on paper.
Something smells very fishy the way everything to do with our railway are being handled, and our politicians need to ask some serious questions to the ICF Board what the hell is going on!
I am really tired of all this hidden agenda BS, we the people own the railway,and its about time the ICF Board answered and told the truth.
My other point, is how the trails can get millions thru gas tax, but the railway doesn't get a dime. Could it be the Governments are not happy with the ICF.

chrisale
Historian

« Reply #44 on: Nov 3rd, 2012, 3:28pm »

on Nov 3rd, 2012, 1:33pm, railpuck wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Why would you attempt to sign a 25 year old deal, when you don't even know if the funding will get approved. Maybe it looks good on paper.

Maybe SVI believes that they will have a viable business for 25 years when the tracks are able to support it.

Quote:

My other point, is how the trails can get millions thru gas tax, but the railway doesn't get a dime. Could it be the Governments are not happy with the ICF.

It has nothing to do with the ICF.  Gas tax money can't be used on roads or railways.  

------
vicguy
Historian
  IMG_0556.jpg - 229622 Bytes
« Reply #45 on: Nov 3rd, 2012, 7:28pm »

I went back to Esquimalt siding today to walk from Hallowell road to the Island Highway crossing and get a few more pictures. I came across this sign in the trees and I gotta ask which one of you put it there?  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/IMG_0556.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Chris

click here for E&N and other rail photos

Rail videos here
Jamie_Masters
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #46 on: Nov 6th, 2012, 4:08pm »

Has anyone as of yet, found any official explanation for the complete removal of Esquimalt siding? I would be very interested in understanding the rationale  behind this seemingly counterproductive decision to further reduce the E&N's infrastructure.

chrisale
Historian

« Reply #47 on: Nov 6th, 2012, 5:20pm »

on Nov 6th, 2012, 4:08pm, Jamie_Masters wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Has anyone as of yet, found any official explanation for the complete removal of Esquimalt siding? I would be very interested in understanding the rationale  behind this seemingly counterproductive decision to further reduce the E&N's infrastructure.

from an email from Mr. Bruce: underline is mine.

"the siding being replaced is part of the CRD trail project that is one of the ICF objectives…all rail & trail work is coordinated through the ICF, the CRD and Southern Rail. This work is a bonus for us.  

we will be expanding our website in time to feature a photo gallery and information of different projects taking place along the corridor…the website is www.islandrail.ca
thanks for your interest."

« Last Edit: Nov 6th, 2012, 5:23pm by chrisale » Logged

------
Jamie_Masters
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #48 on: Nov 6th, 2012, 8:30pm »

Thanks for the info ; it does seemingly indicate where the priorities reside between rail and trail in the CRD.

MinionII
Historian

« Reply #49 on: Nov 6th, 2012, 9:59pm »

on Nov 6th, 2012, 5:20pm, chrisale wrote:       (Click here for original message)

"the siding being replaced is part of the CRD trail project that is one of the ICF objectives…all rail & trail work is coordinated through the ICF, the CRD and Southern Rail. This work is a bonus for us.  

we will be expanding our website in time to feature a photo gallery and information of different projects taking place along the corridor…the website is www.islandrail.ca

Replaced...with a trail?

railpuck
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #50 on: Nov 6th, 2012, 10:23pm »

on Nov 6th, 2012, 5:20pm, chrisale wrote:       (Click here for original message)

So I guess this means, our railway is doomed, as the ICF and SVI will now tear out all sidings to make way for trails, boy didn't see this coming!

Chris_C
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #51 on: Nov 7th, 2012, 4:58pm »

haha i think everyone is a little doom and gloom on this one... read it again and remember the word "Replaced" .. when the words "This work is bonus for us"  

to me that says ... they are building a replacement siding at the trail builder's expense that sounds like a huge positive to me  

I am going to go out on a limb here and say judging by the fact they left the switch in and they original siding was quite a distance from the main... that they are just going to replace it with a closer alignment using the original track, some new ties, ect....

Dennis Dalla-Vicenza

View Profile  

« Reply #52 on: Nov 7th, 2012, 5:47pm »

on Nov 7th, 2012, 4:58pm, Chris_C wrote:       (Click here for original message)
haha i think everyone is a little doom and gloom on this one... read it again and remember the word "Replaced" .. when the words "This work is bonus for us"  

to me that says ... they are building a replacement siding at the trail builder's expense that sounds like a huge positive to me  

I am going to go out on a limb here and say judging by the fact they left the switch in and they original siding was quite a distance from the main... that they are just going to replace it with a closer alignment using the original track, some new ties, ect....

Hopefully with a deep sub bed of bicyclists and bicycles. Bwahahahahahaha

Never known for Political Correctness
& far from a tag words cut and paste artist.
Port Alberni or Thereabouts.
Chris_C
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #53 on: Nov 7th, 2012, 6:49pm »

Well there are a lot in the CRD ... so im sure no one will miss a few  

Speeder
Historian

« Reply #54 on: Nov 7th, 2012, 8:09pm »

If the trail is going where the old siding was, then there will be plenty of room for a new siding with a closer alignment to the mainline.

Also, SRY is likely getting $$$ for the siding/loop removal.

Brakeman302
Former Member

« Reply #55 on: Nov 7th, 2012, 8:24pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

A little bird told me the siding is being replaced with a 300foot spur closer to the main line.

Chris_C
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #56 on: Jan 31st, 2013, 8:49pm »

Brand new piece of track sitting next to the Waddington Road crossing in Nanaimo - looks like it is getting replaced in the near future

Gyralite
Banned User
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #57 on: Feb 1st, 2013, 2:26am »

Well at least it's a start

albernisarah
Former Member

« Reply #58 on: Feb 15th, 2013, 1:55pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

I was in Parksville this morning and driving by the station, I noticed Southern workers cleaning out the maintenance compound.  

Polar
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #59 on: Feb 15th, 2013, 6:13pm »

Saw the same thing so I went and asked them about it.  

It's because the compound has been broken into and material was stolen.  They were taking what's left back to Nanaimo.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »