Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 28th, 2017, 8:16am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

E+N Track Work
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   E+N Track Work
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: E+N Track Work  (Read 5593 times)
SRY 110
Historian
View Profile  

E+N Track Work

« on: May 29th, 2012, 1:31pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

HI there, since there will be a substantial amount of work being done over the next year or so, I thought I would start this thread to post pictures, document the work being done, work trains, and progress.  

This is not a tread to talk about where the work should start or how the funds will be spent or complaining about this and that ..There is already a spot for that here! NO need for more!..Just positive information to pass on to all of us to show case the rebuilding of a great railway!  

Keep it to the point, post pics, and track the progress!

More focus on the positive...less on the negative..
cycledude
Railfan
Re: E+N Track Work
  ifc_en_langford_announcement900.jpg - 31499 Bytes
« Reply #1 on: Jun 1st, 2012, 2:14pm »

More focus on the positive . . . less on the negative
I couldn't have said it better myself, you took the words right out of my mouth.
Let's start with this panoramic view from the Langford announcement.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/ifc_en_langford_announcement900.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Chris_C
Historian
View Profile  

2012-09-12_10.33.42.jpg - 87580 Bytes
« Reply #2 on: Sep 12th, 2012, 6:58pm »

New crossing going in at Nanaimo River Road

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/2012-09-12_10.33.42.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Chris_C
Historian
View Profile  

2012-09-12_10.33.47.jpg - 120521 Bytes
« Reply #3 on: Sep 12th, 2012, 6:59pm »

Highrailer just up the tracks

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/2012-09-12_10.33.47.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Maxvw
TRAINing

« Reply #4 on: Sep 17th, 2012, 5:49pm »

I basically never post but I always keep an eye on the line. I live right next to the tracks in Saltair. I went for a walk down the tracks a few nights ago and there is a lot of spray paint on the tracks marking various things

one of the most common ones is that quite a few of the connecting joints between the two rails are painted white. there are also some larger sections of rail painted orange

CPRail4744
Historian

« Reply #5 on: Sep 17th, 2012, 10:51pm »

Thanks for keeping watch on your section of the tracks, Maxvw
I would presume ties to replace and perhaps actual rail to replace as well, or realign.

"...vw"
Anything to do with Volkswagen

Matt Arnott, Kamloops, B.C.

"I would prefer to see it shipped by train..."
Maxvw
TRAINing

« Reply #6 on: Sep 18th, 2012, 12:24am »

Yep im a vw nut, I built a 92 GTI with a turbocharged v5 ( yes there is a such thing as a v5 lol )

CPRail4744
Historian

« Reply #7 on: Sep 18th, 2012, 1:34am »

Very cool.   I learned to drive on a '71 transporter.  Four on the floor, 1600 cc engine.  I managed to get it up to 70 miles an hour once   My dad changed the single exhaust to the dual pipes like a Bug, and it sounded like one too.
Whole different class of vw than your's I realise  

Sorry Moderator, off topic, I know...

Matt Arnott, Kamloops, B.C.

"I would prefer to see it shipped by train..."
Maxvw
TRAINing

« Reply #8 on: Sep 18th, 2012, 11:51am »

haha yep they are a whole different class one day i will get a westfailia for camping!

back on topic now:

I will keep you guys informed if anything odd rolls past my house..  

Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #9 on: Sep 21st, 2012, 2:47pm »

I was told that there is a pile of ties near Atkins Rd that were taken from the Johnson St Bridge. I wonder if there are going to be reused.  Will try to take a look today.

cobblehillian
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #10 on: Sep 23rd, 2012, 4:24pm »

What Do the Paint Marks Mean.

I took a walk last night on the tracks in the Duncan station area to determine what the paint codes meant.

The white paint at the track joint bars signifies that the bolts are all facing one way.  i.e. the bolt heads are on the inside of the rail and the nuts are on the outside of the rail.  It was a CPR practice, of English heritage, ended sometime in the 50's or 60's.  I assume that Transport Canada (or its predecessor),or perhaps, the CPR itself mandated the change in practice to alternating heads and nuts  inside and outside.  A four bolt joint plate would thus go bolt inside/bolt outside/bolt inside/bolt outside.

The reason for doing this is safety.  If one or more wheelsets becomes derailed it is thought that there is a lesser chance of a wheel flange breaking off all of the more protruded nut ends of the bolts thus destroying the integrity of the rail, thereby causing further damage than just derailment.  The rails could separate and cars would more likely tip, or stray further from the track alignment.  With two of the less protruding bolt heads on the outside of the rail there is a greater likelihood that the rails will stay bolted together.

This bolt placement practice is enhanced by having the joint position on the opposite rail staggered.  i.e. rail joints are purposely not adjacent to each other.  The placement of joints adjacent to one another was common in the UK .  I'm told this was also CPR practice but I'm not sure when it ended.  In any case it was ended long before alternating joint bar bolt placement.

As a general comment the CPR was often a North American "loner" with track structure practices more similar to the UK than other North American roads.  I'm not sure if CPR ever had left hand running in the early days.  The only other notable case was of the Chicago and Northwestern which was still operating that way when merged with UP.  The CNW's, left hand track running was, however, not from the British practice but rather from station building placement and for some other obscure reasons.  

The CPR was also 'out of the loop' when it came to the dimensions of its 85# rail, the predominant type on the E&N.  This was not unique, several other railways had non-standard designs.

I haven't had a chance to examine the rails with the orange blazes but would assume they are to be replaced or require welding to build up the ends.

Brakeman302
Former Member

« Reply #11 on: Sep 23rd, 2012, 5:05pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

The painted bars are the old style "toe" bars. They are going to be replaced with "splice" bars. I imagine that it is easier to count them when they are painted. Part of the government upgrade. If it ever happends. That's just my guess.

cobblehillian
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #12 on: Sep 23rd, 2012, 10:30pm »

Further comments on white blazed rail joints.

I spent some time walking the rails tonight and made some further discoveries.

The white blazed joint bars are of the short toe type with all bolt heads inside the rail.  Unmarked joints have plain splice bars  (no toes) and alternating bolt heads in/ bolt heads out.  My hunch is that they will, for reasons of economy, merely alternate the bolts on the blazed joints and replace the unmarked bars with the short toe type.  This would bring about uniformity on the whole line.  If they were to go to the full toe type bar there would be no need to mark any joints because all the bars would require replacement.

For reasons of brevity I left out of my discussion on unique CPR rail practice that unlike all other standard and non standard 85# rail in North America CPR  used  slightly different bolt hole positions.

cobblehillian
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #13 on: Sep 24th, 2012, 3:33pm »

If Mr Brakeman is correct and SRY wants to install toeless splice bars there goes $1.5 million, give or take, of the $15 million track budget.  I'll provide the arithmetic if requested.

With replacement of 25% of ties, 10 % of rail, plus various track accessories such as spikes, anchors, tie plates etc., plus mobilization and labour costs I don't see how the work can be done within the budget.

« Last Edit: Sep 24th, 2012, 3:34pm by cobblehillian » Logged
Brakeman302
Former Member

« Reply #14 on: Sep 24th, 2012, 3:47pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

I believe to bring it up to proper track standards to run the speeds they need for a future passenger car the toe bars  have to be replaced. I am just speculating on this. The old toe bars require a special plates. Most of the toe bars joints I have seen do not have these plates.

Maxvw
TRAINing

« Reply #15 on: Oct 4th, 2012, 6:23pm »

I was in Vic last night and noticed some bundles of new ties placed by the tracks along atkins Ave right across from the police station, has anyone seen these before?

Polar
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #16 on: Oct 5th, 2012, 12:53am »

Those are not new ties.  They are from the johnston street bridge.  Have been there since the rail portion was taken down.

capt
Chaser
  october_005_729x547.jpg - 92770 Bytes
« Reply #17 on: Oct 11th, 2012, 4:23pm »

Finally action on the north end. a refreshed crossing in union bay on Mckay road.they installed a new the crossing using 125 lb rail that joined the 85 lb rail.the crew was heading up to mile 132 to even and repair track that was up set by construction of a new subdivision

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/october_005_729x547.jpg
Click Image to Resize

JRPhotography
Railfan

« Reply #18 on: Oct 12th, 2012, 12:18pm »

Are all the ties used Concrete? This is great to see

My Photo Collection: http://jrphotography.rrpicturearchives.net/
Maxvw
TRAINing

« Reply #19 on: Oct 12th, 2012, 4:58pm »

Are they upgrading the road or something? Just trying to figure why they are randomly upgrading crossings

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »