Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 26th, 2017, 4:58am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Something To Think About.
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Something To Think About.  (Read 900 times)
CLC Fan

View Profile  

« on: Apr 21st, 2008, 2:38am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Hey all... Sorry if I sound like I am on the soapbox, but I would like to pass something on to all of us here that we should maybe keep in the back of our minds.  And Tyler I hope i'm not overstepping any boundaries here.

It has recently come to my attention that a railfan was accosted by an angry engineer from SRY-VI and that I also was on the receiving end of some negative attitude recently.  This surprised me as I had never heard this happening and it goes against what is normally seen from the staff and crew on the E&N, at least from my perspective.  It seems that he had been reprimanded by management for allowing a train enthusiast to do something that was probably against the rules and likely involved safety and liability concerns.  Apparently the engineer was caught when they saw pictures on the Internet posted by the train enthusiast.

I have long suspected that several SRY authorities visit our forum with regularity and I often cringe when I see people post things that often appear in the "Rumours and Speculation" thread as an example.  I know that in the past some employees have confided in myself with some information that was probably not meant to be for "public consumption" and that it would not be hard to trace back to who leaked it out.  This could cause grief for a guy only trying to be nice to us.  You know how it is, you and I can savour some track condition information and understand and recognize for what it is.  But some Sally-Know-It-All who doesn't know a train from a track spike living next to said r.o.w. can Google for info and then distort the information to no end for her own means.  Thus causing a cascade of pain and suffering by all involved.

That said, it is my belief that it was probably my photo essay and short YouTube video on chasing the Superior Propane turn last November that may have been the cause for concern by SRY officials.  I was invited into the cab for a visit without safety equipment (steel toes, hi-vis vest, liability waiver, etc).  I have since removed the video and certain select pictures.

I have a personal rule to try not to take or post pictures with crew members that can be readily identifiable, out of respect for their personal privacy unless they give permission to do so.  Almost from the beginning, the engineer in the cab asked me about my camera and I assured him that they were for personal interest and not commercial.  However I did state that I do put a select few on the internet and keep crew faces out of sight.  In the end it was probably not hard for management to track back the date and see who was working that particular run and see that I was in the cab and not casually observing from the side.

I guess what I am trying to say is that while pursuing an interest I may have inadvertantly caused a regular working individual some grief by jeopardizing his career.  Summarily, I may have also created a hostile employee which could make it difficult for other train enthusiasts to enjoy their hobby as well.  I apologize for this.

I think it may be prudent to think twice before posting and sharing certain items here.  Keep in mind that SRY officials are visiting here and consider whether they should be hearing about what may have been passed on to you coming from your mouth.  I didn't think about what it meant to put pics up from the inside of the train.  I was just excited to be there and wanted to share the unique perspective that many railfans rarely experience.  The last thing I wanted to do is get some guy hauled into the office and have his a$$ chewed out and make it harder for future railfans to capture a bit of history.

Anyways, keep taking those pictures and videos and share what you can (discretely).. I know I will!     Those crews probably see enough 'hostility' from rock throwing teens and immature individuals taking potshots at the trains that we don't need to add Railfans to their list as potential threats.  And I do apologize to the SRY crew and everyone here for my actions.  If you wave at an engineer and he gives you the finger, you can thank me for that.    Sorry 'bout that...

CN7059
Historian
Re: Something To Think About.

« Reply #1 on: Apr 21st, 2008, 1:09pm »

I agree with all of this. A little while ago, I rode the cab of one of the freights. I won't say when and where, suffice it to say, it was quite some time ago. I then mentioned it casually on this forum, but with enough information to figure out who the crew was, and when and where this took place. Some time after making the post, I found out through the grape vine that the crew that day got a reprimand because of what I posted online. I deleted it, however, the damage was done. I am now careful not to post anything that might get a crew member in trouble. I think that everyone should heed this advice. If you're lucky enough to be in the cab, don't post about it where everyone can see, because it WILL get back to management. Same goes for confidential information that you might have come across, for the reasons mentioned by CLC Fan.

Grant Williamson, Saanich BC

MinionII
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Apr 21st, 2008, 4:54pm »

It's too bad things can turn out this way.

Hey, do steel toes work if the train runs over your foot?  

cn2220
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Apr 21st, 2008, 5:17pm »

How about a new rule for the forum? No images, videos or other material that can get a crew in trouble.

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
CP8673
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: Apr 21st, 2008, 5:31pm »

on Apr 21st, 2008, 5:17pm, BCOL764 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
How about a new rule for the forum? No images, videos or other material that can get a crew in trouble.

I'd second that motion.  I don't see a problem with posting non-identifying stuff after a considerable period of time, like over a year, without reference to exact date.

I'd also suggest that this thread gets sticky-ed

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »