Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jan 20th, 2018, 12:33am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Trackage between Hereward and Devonshire - Victoria
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   Trackage between Hereward and Devonshire - Victoria
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Trackage between Hereward and Devonshire - Victoria  (Read 2075 times)
torch
Historian
Re: Trackage between Hereward and Devonshire - Victoria

« Reply #20 on: Apr 9th, 2008, 6:16pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

there  was another customer up untill the late 70s/early 80s that was on the  same spur as  the  very last  warehouse.. the track dropped down a bit in elevation and  crossed the  road into a small one level complex that had loading doors/dock.. if i remember correctly, i think the  building was  white with green trim..  anybody else  recall that? after the  track had been cut back to only the last  warehouse,the  tracks remained in the street for sometime.

MinionII
Historian

« Reply #21 on: Apr 9th, 2008, 7:00pm »

I don't recall, but I have no doubt.

CP must have more maps of the railway in its various states. If only we could get access to the real CP archives...there must be a warehouse full of old drawings somewhere...

torch
Historian

« Reply #22 on: Apr 9th, 2008, 8:49pm »

that building (ex customer) may still be there.

hillbank
Historian

« Reply #23 on: Apr 10th, 2008, 1:45am »

The mystery spur that ENR3005 mentions could have been for Kelly Douglas, they are a grocery wholesaler and received many cars from both CP and CN in Victoria, they and Standard Furniture were the last to recieve cars on that section of track, during the late 80's when Victoria had three turns a week, sometimes the crews would switch these spurs at night when they were coimng South. another food company that had a spur in the area was Macdonalds Consolidated. The food and grocery companies have gone through mergers and name changes like many other industries over the years so it can become quite confusing to know who was who and when, food products were a main source of freight incoming on the E&N one just has to look at all the insulated boxcars in the pics that goose and others have posted from the early to mid 80,s  Sometimes the Victoria turns would have several cars for both Standard Furniture and Kelly Douglas so the extra cars would be spotted at the roundhouse and either unloaded there or spotted at the spurs a few days later.

torch
Historian

« Reply #24 on: Apr 10th, 2008, 2:22am »

I mentioned this quite some time back here  but  i ll bring it  up again..  One  morning I was watching the  crew put their  train together in vic west yard to go north  and they added a railbox boxcar to the  FRONT of the  train...IN FRONT OF  THE LEAD LOCO! they left the yard  and  I follwed. they got to the standard  furn.  spur  and shoved the  car in  and then  proceeded north.. crazy, huh!

hillbank
Historian

« Reply #25 on: Apr 10th, 2008, 11:58pm »

Hey Torch i saw the same thing happen only it was a Southern boxcar!

torch
Historian

« Reply #26 on: Apr 11th, 2008, 3:05am »

crazy, right?  I mean its not like they were going  far  or anything but its  still the mainline.. mustve been a  brakeman riding the ladder of the box.

cn2220
Historian

« Reply #27 on: Apr 11th, 2008, 3:13am »

on Apr 11th, 2008, 3:05am, torch wrote:       (Click here for original message)
crazy, right?  I mean its not like they were going  far  or anything but its  still the mainline.. mustve been a  brakeman riding the ladder of the box.

More common than you'd think. Rather than run light back to the yard, just take the whole train with you. They'd have to shove the car up there anyway, save yourself the extra trip down to the yard and back and take the whole train with ya. You're right, someone would have to be riding the point while they shove up there.

« Last Edit: Apr 11th, 2008, 3:14am by cn2220 » Logged

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
MinionII
Historian

« Reply #28 on: Apr 11th, 2008, 4:45pm »

I know what you mean when you say 'main line', but, in reality, the Victoria yard limits extend to Langford or something like that...

I just wish I was around to see stuff like that. In the earliest days I can remember, they were down to ICG in Langford, and Superior in Esquimalt as far as I know. Fairly often they would pull the hopper cars from Top Shelf all the way to Victoria.

cn2220
Historian

« Reply #29 on: Apr 11th, 2008, 6:18pm »

on Apr 11th, 2008, 4:45pm, MinionII wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I know what you mean when you say 'main line', but, in reality, the Victoria yard limits extend to Langford or something like that...

Yard and yard limits are two different things, yard limits apply to main track outside a yard. Main track rules still apply.

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
CN7059
Historian

« Reply #30 on: Apr 11th, 2008, 6:48pm »

on Apr 11th, 2008, 4:45pm, MinionII wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Victoria yard ends near the old depot site at Russell's.

Grant Williamson, Saanich BC

MinionII
Historian

« Reply #31 on: Apr 11th, 2008, 8:34pm »

Would that be the difference BCOL764 refers to? The yard ends at Russel's, but the yard limits extend further?

cn2220
Historian

« Reply #32 on: Apr 11th, 2008, 9:05pm »

on Apr 11th, 2008, 8:34pm, MinionII wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Would that be the difference BCOL764 refers to? The yard ends at Russel's, but the yard limits extend further?

At one time when there were yard limits, yes. But not many railroads use yard limits anymore. CP uses Cautionary Limits and got rid of yard limits years ago. CN and SRY use neither, they use something called "Rule 105 territory". Long story short; yard limits don't exist anymore.

« Last Edit: Apr 11th, 2008, 9:05pm by cn2220 » Logged

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
CP8673
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #33 on: Apr 11th, 2008, 10:09pm »

I just wish I was around to see stuff like that. In the earliest days I can remember, they were down to ICG in Langford, and Superior in Esquimalt as far as I know. Fairly often they would pull the hopper cars from Top Shelf all the way to Victoria.

Used to go to mile 9.3.

MinionII
Historian

« Reply #34 on: Apr 11th, 2008, 10:42pm »

I see. Thanks for the info.

Dayliner
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #35 on: Apr 16th, 2008, 4:20pm »

Quote:
Used to go to mile 9.3.

I guess that was to accomodate switching at Coremart, which was a facing-point spur for southbound movements.  My 1973 timetable shows Victoria yard limits extending only as far as Esquimalt.  Anyone know when the change was made?

Life without trains? Inconceivable!
CP8673
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #36 on: Apr 23rd, 2008, 9:27pm »

on Apr 11th, 2008, 9:05pm, BCOL764 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

At one time when there were yard limits, yes. But not many railroads use yard limits anymore. CP uses Cautionary Limits and got rid of yard limits years ago. CN and SRY use neither, they use something called "Rule 105 territory". Long story short; yard limits don't exist anymore.

Actually they technically still do, until May 28th, when Rule 93 gets dropped from the CROR.  But as Tyler said, nobody uses them anymore.

Demian
Enthusiast

« Reply #37 on: Apr 26th, 2008, 1:34am »

Has anyone ever noticed the CN and CP intermodal trailers that are always being unloaded at the Wilson Foods company on devonshire Rd. This is a rapidly growing grocery wholesaler that is in the former Standard Furniture and Safeway buildings. I see them as a promising customer prospect on the south island for inbound boxcars...Then again I suppose SRVI would probably not create a Victoria turn unless there was numerous carloadings to a few customers to make it worthwhile. I remember Standard Furniture recieving boxcars until mid 92 when they switched to truck because CP rail was too unreliable on the island. At the time they still had railcars come to Vancouver and Seattle where they were transloaded to truck for final deliverey to the island. Also I remember seeing boxcars on the Kelley Douglas Dist spur up until 1990. As a teenaged railfan in early 1992 I canvased local Victoria companys to see if they supported using rail. The majority were positive but did not trust CP rail. It seemed if CP could not get rid of their customers they killed them with no service. I even spoke with some former Victoria CP rail customers for instance the owner of Vic van and Storage. He was still livid a decade later and told me about how rail shipments were a vital part of his company in the early 1980s and CP ripped up his siding in the middle of the night without even consulting him. At the time he was receiving apx two hundred boxcars a year. I am very hopeful about traffic returning to the south island in the near future and crossing my fingers with regards to the ICF funding.

MinionII
Historian

« Reply #38 on: Apr 26th, 2008, 2:41pm »

Welcome to the forum Demian, and great first post.

I know it's been said many times...but it's really too bad CP mistreated there customers so badly toward the end. I hope the line south of Duncan is used for freight traffic again, and not just a a commuter line.

I wonder how many box car loads the building that houses Fountain Tire and some shipping companies in Langford could put out. I wonder if Fountain Tire has shipments being transloaded to truck right now... The spur that ran down the side of that building is intact from the main all the way to the edge of the parking lot. That side of the building had at least six loading doors in the side when still serviced by rail...

Demian
Enthusiast

« Reply #39 on: Apr 26th, 2008, 11:14pm »

Thanks MinionII

I used to post under the handle "Calgary" a couple of years back.  Just bought a new computer and have always loved reading the discussions on this forum. I agree with you on the Jacklin Rd warehouse, I think there is a lot of potential rail customers still around.  You know it's ironic I used to railfan back in the 80's and 90's with my cousin VicGuy and we thought there was no other railfans around.  It's great to see so many people interested.

Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »