Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 19th, 2017, 3:34am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

looking for store street pics
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   looking for store street pics
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: looking for store street pics  (Read 13034 times)
Pyronova

View Profile  

Re: looking for store street pics

« Reply #80 on: Oct 18th, 2007, 10:09pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Interesting to see that the now Swan's Hotel at Pandora and Store once had rail service......

Moderator of: Mainline - Rail Safety; Regional Areas - British Columbia & Vancouver Island; Fallen Flags - The Milwaukee Road; & Model Railroading - N-Scale .

MinionII
Historian

« Reply #81 on: Oct 18th, 2007, 11:56pm »

Thank you, Goose5, for dropping that pile of gold in here.

ANY historic island pictures will be vry well received here.

Andrew

CN7059
Historian

« Reply #82 on: Oct 19th, 2007, 1:28am »

Damn..... That is something else....

Grant Williamson, Saanich BC

torch
Historian

« Reply #83 on: Oct 19th, 2007, 2:44am »

Dear lord!!... wow.. like striking gold!  thank you for posting these! cant  wait to see the next!  wow.   Pyro, the swans  building was a buckerfields at around that time.. they recieved feed by hopper. Never  did  get to see it switched.  I cant believe these fofos.  excellent.

ENR
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #84 on: Oct 19th, 2007, 2:45am »

stunning  pics....a nice piece of history you have here

CN7059
Historian

« Reply #85 on: Oct 19th, 2007, 2:50am »

Perhaps this thread could be made "sticky" for posterity and easy access?

CPRail4744
Historian

« Reply #86 on: Oct 19th, 2007, 3:06am »

Goose5, you have basically fulfilled the ultimate dream of all of us Store Street fans here.  Thankyou VERY much,  and keep posting - don't you dare stop scanning till every one of your EXCELLENT pictures is on this thread!

Talk about childhood memories...

I knew somebody out there would have more photo documentation of the area!

Matt Arnott, Kamloops, B.C.

"I would prefer to see it shipped by train..."
ENR3005
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #87 on: Oct 19th, 2007, 3:25am »

Thanks for the amazing photos Goose5 and welcome to the forum! My wife gave up on me coming to bed tonight as a result of your pics.

torch
Historian

« Reply #88 on: Oct 19th, 2007, 5:32am »

Hey Gooose    question for you.. did you have any fotos of the brewery building across government street? reason being is some of us have a memory of it being served by rail by a spur across government street but nobody has a clear recollection of where the rail door would be or where the spur wouldve crossed. Im thinking there wouldve still been evidence of it around the time you took the fotos   or maybe you  have a recollection of that from an earlier time. I dont recall it myself.. my earliest memories of the store street trackage and albion yard go back into the late 70s yet I dont recall  seeing the spur into the brewery or mc dowells on store street. I remember seeing boxcars parked alongside the janion hotel building. there was a spur and a loading dock there.. Also  ,do you   have info regarding the spur that dropped down behind capitol iron? thanks again. cant wait to see your other fotos!

Dayliner
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #89 on: Oct 19th, 2007, 10:33am »

Thank you Goose5!  Do these pics ever bring back memories.  Most of us on this thread explored that trackage at one time or another, but it seems few of us had the foresight to take photos.  Glad you did!

I remember seeing cars spotted at/in Buckerfield's, the Swift warehouse, Garden City, and the yard, and enjoyed watching the switcher pull tank cars down the street (were they the largest vehicles of any description ever to run on Store Street?).

I've noticed from the plans and drawings, and your photos seem to confirm it, that there was no run-around track in the yard.  Given the track layout, I'm assuming that for most deliveries (except for Swift's), the crews would have had to shove across the bridge and up Store St.  Was this in fact the case?

Life without trains? Inconceivable!
Dayliner
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #90 on: Oct 19th, 2007, 10:55am »

Forgot to mention my favorite Store St memory.  Was watching the switch crew do their thing one Sunday afternoon down there when they stopped outside Capital Iron, climbed off the engine, and went inside.  Out they came a few minutes later with a very flustered shopper who quickly moved her car.  She had parked too closed to the tracks.  Not your everyday shopping experience at the mall, but I guess it wasn't too uncommon on Store St.

Life without trains? Inconceivable!
Goose5
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #91 on: Oct 19th, 2007, 12:08pm »

Thanks for all the favourable comments on the photos. I'm glad I found this forum and am able to start sharing the stuff I have taken rather than have it just sit in a box for years. I do remember when taking some of the photos thinking that if and when this is all gone they will have historical value.

I had these photos posted so far professionally scanned which turned out to be rather expensive. I am going to go today to look at scanners which will be a one-off expense but then I will have control over how I arrange the images etc. This digital photography and scanning is all new to me but I'll learn as I go. Hopefully I'll find a home scanner that produces reasonably good results but of course will keep all the negatives in case I want an ultra high quality professional scan of a certain image.

In response to a couple of the questions - no Torch I don't remember the track that crossed Government St. to serve the brewery. I moved to Victoria in Dec 1981 and for the first few years did not really photograph much. The first set of 8 photos was taken with an instamatic camera which is why they are not as good quality. I mentioned that they were taken in 1985 but thinking back again it may have been 1982 or 1983. These show the brewery across the street but I didn't really investigate things all that much. When I bought my Nikon SLR camera in 1985 I became more serious about taking photos and put dates on all the images (except the track layout sequences). I have only memories (somewhat hazy) of some of the some of the stuff I saw and wish now that I had photographed more.  

And to Dayliner no I never saw a runaround track in the yard. Everything was simple pushing and pulling to serve the various sidings. In the action shots that I will be posting there are some classic shots with some motorists who must have been surprised out of their minds to see a train suddenly coming at them. I remember a girl at work telling me this happened to her and saying that she didn't think those tracks were ever used. I remember seeing cars spotted at Swift Meats (a very sharp curve) and in Buckerfields as I drove by sometimes but didn't photograph them.  

Anyway, this forum is great and its nice to find other people with as much interest in some of the stuff I was interested in. Thanks,

Dave

ENR_fan
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #92 on: Oct 19th, 2007, 2:11pm »

Awesome pics Goose... brings back memories as a child.

torch
Historian

« Reply #93 on: Oct 19th, 2007, 3:00pm »

definately no runaround track,  all but one of the spurs faced the same direction anyhow so it was just push n pull.

cn2220
Historian

« Reply #94 on: Oct 19th, 2007, 3:26pm »

on Oct 19th, 2007, 3:00pm, torch wrote:       (Click here for original message)
definately no runaround track,  all but one of the spurs faced the same direction anyhow so it was just push n pull.

Or they would do a flying drop into the backwards spur.

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
mike_enr
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #95 on: Oct 19th, 2007, 3:31pm »

Unbelieveable photos, Goose5!! I'm guessing that most people on this forum (including myself) never guessed that any more significant photos of the Store Street operations would surface. Thanks so much for posting! I definitely look forward to seeing whatever else you are able to post.

Mike
CN7059
Historian

« Reply #96 on: Oct 19th, 2007, 6:52pm »

on Oct 19th, 2007, 3:26pm, CrashNational wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Or they would do a flying drop into the backwards spur.

Tyler, could you please elaborate? I know what a gravity drop is, but I've never heard the term "flying drop" before.

« Last Edit: Oct 19th, 2007, 6:52pm by CN7059 » Logged

craigolio1
Railfan

« Reply #97 on: Oct 19th, 2007, 8:47pm »

Well I must admit I too thought we were out of luck for more pics of Store St.  Thanks so much for posting these latest ones.  They will help my modeling efforts immensely.  regarding the set you have where it shows the lead from the bridge where the station is now, they must be around 85 as the i think the station was built early in '86.

Craig

Goose5
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #98 on: Oct 19th, 2007, 9:47pm »

Yes Craig I think you're right about the time period now that I think about it as I bought my Nikon camera in '85 and one of the first things I shot was the Store St. track set. Guess I should have put dates on those too.  

Dave

preservedsteambc
Railfan

« Reply #99 on: Oct 19th, 2007, 9:48pm »

Great photos Goose! For me too it brings back memories when I was a kid. I still remember that treefort/shack on the pole at the Public Market. I didn't know that was a charity stunt. I thought it was some protestor living up there for a while.

Does anyone have any decent shots of the BC Electric Carbarn (now sportstraders)?

The rail yard out in front of Capital Iron can best be described for us railfans by the song Big Yellow Taxi: "They paved paradise, and put up a parking lot!"

Roman
Preserved! Steam Locomotives of British Columbia
http://members.shaw.ca/preservedsteambc/
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »