Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Mar 25th, 2017, 5:35pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

looking for store street pics
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   looking for store street pics
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  10 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: looking for store street pics  (Read 12594 times)
craigolio1
Railfan
Re: looking for store street pics

« Reply #20 on: Oct 14th, 2007, 1:02pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Torch,  I'm very interested in this fruit/produce warehouse you mentioned.  From your description, and looking at the diagram, I can see where it would have been located.  My guess is there would have been truck access from Store St too.  Can anyone tell me what sort of loads would have gone there.  I'm thinking reefers would be obvious.  Anything else?  Any idea where the produce would originate from?  Does anyone have pics of this warehouse?  I wonder if it was more of a transfer facility to truck it out as it came in or would it have been a cold storage type facility?

Thanks again.  This has become a great thread!

Craig

torch
Historian

« Reply #21 on: Oct 14th, 2007, 6:43pm »

Craig..take a look at the first couple of fotos in the 'E&N store street  Ross Pugsley photo thread..front page of this forum.'.. you wont be  able to see the full structure but it is in there in  photos number 3(behind the train) adn number four(to your left of the loco). I had once seen an air photo that showed it but I really dont have much info on it. I think I recall a member here saying it burned down ( ?)

« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2007, 6:48pm by torch » Logged
craigolio1
Railfan

« Reply #22 on: Oct 14th, 2007, 9:24pm »

Torch, thanks for referring  me to that thread.   I have seen those before but I forgot about them.  Now that I'm modeling the area and have specific things to look for they have taken on a whole new meaning.  By the looks of it it was too small a facility to be cold storage (which makes sense when you look at the footprint it sat on - cold storage warehouses are HUGE).  It must have been there to transfer right to trucks.  I wonder if the produce came from the island or  the mainland?

Does anyone know what business Kelly Douglas was in?

Craig

vicguy
Historian

« Reply #23 on: Oct 14th, 2007, 10:21pm »

Kelly Douglas was a food distributer like North Douglas. They received boxcars at their warehouse in Esquimalt as well as Nanaimo.  

Cool thread, btw!

Chris

click here for E&N and other rail photos

Rail videos here
farronhill
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #24 on: Oct 15th, 2007, 2:42am »

on Oct 14th, 2007, 10:28pm, CLC Fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)

>>snipped

Craig-> That drawing I did is almost embarrassing now.  The produce shed went at an angle from Store Street near Capitol Iron and I think it burned down in the late 1960's?  Anyways, my Dad worked there during the summers as a teenager in the early 1960's.  He unloaded fruit and vegetables from boxcars.  I remember him telling me about the time he and his best friend were working alone one day and were generally horsing around.  They wanted to see what would happen if you lobbed a large juicy watermelon from the loading docks onto the ground.    I guess it "blow'd up reeel good!"  

No worries about that sketch map, as we find out more our earlier guesses get surpassed ... but with the 'net, earlier guesses go on to have a life of their own!

I wonder if we're not better to think of that structure as a "freight house" rather than a "produce shed". It is marked on the 1960s CPR map as "Freight Shed CP Merchandise Services". I expect it handled any kind of freight that needed to be out of the weather, not just produce, and probably wouldn't have refrigerated storage. You mentioned the fruit and veg came in boxcars in summer, so no chilling there during transit.

So far the air photos mostly show a big roof. There is a side view in a photo in the City of Victoria Archives CVA99204-05-3963. This photo is reproduced in the recent Volume 3 of "This Old House, Victoria's Heritage Neighbourhoods" on page 32. You can see several windows and door under that big roof, and the end of one loading dock.

Also in the background behind Capital Iron is a traveling crane, probably on rails but they are not visible. There is an intriguing flat area beyond the crane that could just be where those switchbacked tracks might have run? The photo credit says 1950s and the third Capital Iron Building (the Quonset hut) is still there.

That book should be readily available for a peek around Victoria's larger bookstores, but it's actually worth owning for period views of many buildings of interest to rail fans (several views of the old streetcar barns for example.)

Pyronova

View Profile  

« Reply #25 on: Oct 15th, 2007, 9:42pm »

on Oct 14th, 2007, 10:28pm, CLC Fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I don't think there was rail up to Hudson's Bay.  

There was rail on Fisgard St past the 'Bay (when was the building constructed?); the V&S (Victoria & Sidney) a Great Northern company.  I believe it had an E&N interchange at or on Store St & Fisgard, but I think the V&S was ripped up by 1930..........

Unless there was an angled row relative to Douglas St, I doubt that the E&N went into the 'Bay from Chatham St.....  maybe from Hearld St?

What street(s) were the trolleys on?

« Last Edit: Oct 15th, 2007, 9:52pm by Pyronova » Logged

Moderator of: Mainline - Rail Safety; Regional Areas - British Columbia & Vancouver Island; Fallen Flags - The Milwaukee Road; & Model Railroading - N-Scale .

CPRail4744
Historian

« Reply #26 on: Oct 16th, 2007, 2:39am »

In Darryl Murralt's book, the V&S Railway, he says that there never was an interchange between the E&N and the V&S, although the latter sure tried hard.

Matt Arnott, Kamloops, B.C.

"I would prefer to see it shipped by train..."
ENR3005
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #27 on: Oct 16th, 2007, 8:08pm »

What customers would have been left on Store Street after 1988. I have gone through the lists and only come with these three. Also what track was left in place after 1988. I would assume there would be an additional spur or two still in place to former customers.  

1. Kelly Douglas - service ended 1989?
2. Garden City  
3. ICG  

All this Store Street talk has caused me to stay up late for the past couple of nights adding DEM terrain to the MSTS route for all CP trackage south of Stockett to Victoria including the Store Street trackage as it existed 1988-1989. I am even looking at adding the CN yard and trackage for that period including the trackage all the way up to Borden Mercantile. I have the markers down and I am now laying track and roads which is now down to Cassidy just past the two propane spurs.  

Chris

« Last Edit: Oct 16th, 2007, 8:19pm by ENR3005 » Logged
cn2220
Historian

« Reply #28 on: Oct 16th, 2007, 9:11pm »

on Oct 16th, 2007, 8:08pm, ENR3005 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

1. Kelly Douglas - service ended 1989?

Chris

Long before that, I remember shopping with my parents in Value Village(same building) in the late 1980's. In fact I remember hearing the locomotive rumble by while shopping, and all the time I spent looking across the water at the CNR yard.

« Last Edit: Oct 16th, 2007, 9:13pm by cn2220 » Logged

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
torch
Historian

« Reply #29 on: Oct 16th, 2007, 10:10pm »

I think kelly douglas was  gone by around 86 or before..  I DO know that the  albion yard  was still  a  yard  in 86 though. Two of the many team track spurs were removed in 87 i believe. The  swift meat packer was  removed after kelly douglas' spur was removed  as  far  as I recall.

Piglet
Historian

« Reply #30 on: Oct 16th, 2007, 11:40pm »

I remember the Store street area fairly well from my time as a kid hitting Capital Iron with my dad on a regular basis. Some where in my office here is a coin despencer for my belt that is ex- cp .  I am unfortunatly around 1200km from the family photo's or I would be digging in my spare time looking to see what there is. (We are talking of over 6/8 cubic feet of slides aside from print).  I know there are shots of the Canora in there among other stuff and Im sure that dad has some shots down around the store street area as well.  When did the coal gas tanks come out of the corner lot by government street by the way?

we learn from the past
preservedsteambc
Railfan

« Reply #31 on: Oct 17th, 2007, 1:29am »

on Oct 16th, 2007, 9:11pm, CrashNational wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Long before that, I remember shopping with my parents in Value Village(same building) in the late 1980's. In fact I remember hearing the locomotive rumble by while shopping, and all the time I spent looking across the water at the CNR yard.

My memory is kind of hazy, but wasn't there some sort of public market before Value Village went in there?

Roman
Preserved! Steam Locomotives of British Columbia
http://members.shaw.ca/preservedsteambc/
Jason King
Historian

« Reply #32 on: Oct 17th, 2007, 2:48am »

on Oct 17th, 2007, 1:29am, preservedsteambc wrote:       (Click here for original message)

My memory is kind of hazy, but wasn't there some sort of public market before Value Village went in there?

There was and I can remember getting a cab ride in the switcher, thanks to an engineer I'd befriended as a kid, and we took it down store street and parked inside what is now the Capital Iron lot, and went into the market to get a coffee. I also remember getting stuck in traffic on Store Street on the way back thanks to the light.

Cheers.

J\

ENR_fan
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #33 on: Oct 17th, 2007, 6:04pm »

on Oct 16th, 2007, 8:08pm, ENR3005 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

All this Store Street talk has caused me to stay up late for the past couple of nights adding DEM terrain to the MSTS route for all CP trackage south of Stockett to Victoria including the Store Street trackage as it existed 1988-1989. I am even looking at adding the CN yard and trackage for that period including the trackage all the way up to Borden Mercantile. I have the markers down and I am now laying track and roads which is now down to Cassidy just past the two propane spurs.  

Chris

That would make an awesome addition to the E&N route you're doing
Is it possible we could see this in the future as an expansion to the E&N?

torch
Historian

« Reply #34 on: Oct 17th, 2007, 11:11pm »

yup! mr  too... I recall many times being left in the  car or  at  the capitol iron playground and being lucky enuff to be there at  train time~! Also seeing quite a few cars across the harbor at the cn yard/ e&n interchange.

Goose5
Historian
View Profile  

00090012.jpg - 90637 Bytes
« Reply #35 on: Oct 18th, 2007, 6:21pm »

Hello all,

I recently discovered this forum and am enjoying looking at the various threads and the amazing photos that are out there. I have a collection of photos taken over the past 20+ years, many of which I'm sure would be of interest on various threads. Having just bought a digital camera, I have retired my film camera and plan to gradually digitize all my film photos. When I came across this Store St. thread, I decided to start with some of those and post them here as I'm sure they will be of interest. I always found the Store St. area interesting as the track layout was relatively complex with the switches and crossing in the street and the small yard at the end. It cries out to be modelled. I like street trackage of any kind as well because of the contrast in size between the train and vehicles. This first set was taken in 1985 (I think) and show the yard area.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/00090012.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Goose5
Historian
View Profile  

00090002.jpg - 90340 Bytes
« Reply #36 on: Oct 18th, 2007, 6:24pm »

Another pic

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/00090002.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Goose5
Historian
View Profile  

00090001.jpg - 54806 Bytes
« Reply #37 on: Oct 18th, 2007, 6:25pm »

Another pic

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/00090001.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Goose5
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #38 on: Oct 18th, 2007, 6:26pm »

Another pic

Goose5
Historian
View Profile  

00090011.jpg - 63164 Bytes
« Reply #39 on: Oct 18th, 2007, 6:27pm »

Another pic

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/00090011.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  10 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »