Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 30th, 2017, 10:39pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

looking for store street pics
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   looking for store street pics
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: looking for store street pics  (Read 12641 times)
CPRail4744
Historian
Re: looking for store street pics
  Store_Street_1.jpg - 33225 Bytes
« Reply #180 on: Sep 2nd, 2016, 6:27pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Found these two pics on this website last week.    Weird, but the website is now down.
I did not scour the Store Street thread to see if they have been posted before, so forgive me if a duplicate posting.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/Store_Street_1.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Matt Arnott, Kamloops, B.C.

"I would prefer to see it shipped by train..."
CPRail4744
Historian
  Store_Street_2_Massey_F._Jones.jpg - 25447 Bytes
« Reply #181 on: Sep 2nd, 2016, 6:28pm »

Photo's by Massey F. Jones

Dead website:  http://yourrailwaypictures.com/OldDiesels/index-CP_Freight1.html

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/Store_Street_2_Massey_F._Jones.jpg
Click Image to Resize

cycledude
Railfan

« Reply #182 on: Sep 7th, 2016, 7:34am »

Good find. That be the Janion Hotel with Ramsay Machine Works beyond at 1630 Store Street, ca,1957.
"Cathelco" on the Ramsay building was a branch of the operation dealing in marine, electrolytic installations through Vancouver Island.

Goose5
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #183 on: Sep 7th, 2016, 2:13pm »

Yes a good find indeed especially the photo of the train switching Swifts Meats. Any photo of that is rare. I was never lucky enough to see a train on that spur but seeing the overhang of the locomotive in the photo and from memory I think the curve scales out to about 16 inch radius in HO scale. There is a prototype for everything.

« Last Edit: Sep 7th, 2016, 2:30pm by Goose5 » Logged
CPRail4744
Historian

« Reply #184 on: Sep 9th, 2016, 1:27am »

Thanks guys, yes I was pleased to discover them.   Thanks also for the additional info of the building history.
I think I had been google searching "Canadian National Railway in Penticton BC" looking for something else when waaaay down the image lists came these photos.
I love the guy riding the roof of the car in the first photo

Goose5
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #185 on: Sep 9th, 2016, 3:09pm »

There are a few photos in Robert Turner's various E&N books showing a brakeman riding the roof of a boxcar. Must have been a fairly common practice back in the day.

CPRail4744
Historian

« Reply #186 on: Sep 10th, 2016, 7:30pm »

In Kamloops there is still a set of telltales on a pole just prior to a road bridge for roof-riders to be reminded to duck as the cars would go under the overpass.   Will try to get a pic soon.

cn2220
Historian

« Reply #187 on: Sep 12th, 2016, 4:46pm »

on Sep 9th, 2016, 3:09pm, Goose5 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
There are a few photos in Robert Turner's various E&N books showing a brakeman riding the roof of a boxcar. Must have been a fairly common practice back in the day.

Boxcar surfing. It was easier for the engineer to see crew members give hand signals from on top of the cars than on the side of the car. That practice went the way of the dodo with the use of portable radios and now you'd be fired if you ride on top of a car.

« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2016, 4:48pm by cn2220 » Logged

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
Norm_Anderson
Historian

« Reply #188 on: Sep 12th, 2016, 8:06pm »

Hi, everyone,

The practice of boxcar surfing goes back to the earliest days of railroading, when each car had to be individually braked.  Trains were quite short by today's standards, but still too heavy to be braked by the engine brakes alone.  There were two brakemen assigned to each train.  The head brakeman rode in the locomotive cab with the engineer and fireman, and the rear brakeman rode in the caboose with the conductor.

Each car had a brake wheel mounted at one end.  In the early days the wheel was horizontal, attached to a vertical shaft and about waist-high to the brakeman standing on the roof of the car.  At a prearranged signal, the two brakemen would begin at opposite ends of the train and work their way toward each other along the rooftop catwalks, tightening the brakes on each car in succession.  In some photos, the brakeman has what looks like a billy club in his hand.  This was a "cheater" for extra leverage, if the brake wheel was a bit balky.  (In later years, the brake wheel was vertical, mounted on one car end just below the roofline.)

"Telltales" were leather straps or lengths of rope suspended from a pole extended above the track, a short distance before a bridge, tunnel entrance, or other overhang.  Its purpose was to give the brakeman a good whack if he became distracted, so he would have time to "hit the deck" before making (usually fatal) contact with the obstruction.

The invention of air brakes in the 1880s gradually phased out the need for brakemen to walk the planks every time the train needed to slow or stop, but switching operations still often required the brakeman's individual attention.  Freight cars were equipped with catwalks and ladders well into the 1960s.

cn2220 is quite correct.  Today's freight cars no longer have catwalks or ladders to the roofline, and employees are not permitted to put themselves at risk in ways that were routine several decades ago.  Brake wheels are within a few feet of the ground, and the remnants of ladders are only a few rungs high.

Regards,

Norm

« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2016, 11:48pm by Norm_Anderson » Logged
Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #189 on: Dec 19th, 2016, 3:54pm »

on Sep 2nd, 2016, 6:28pm, CPRail4744 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Photo's by Massey F. Jones

Dead website:  http://yourrailwaypictures.com/OldDiesels/index-CP_Freight1.html

Interesting to see a CNR refrigerator car being switched at Swift Meats

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »