Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 25th, 2017, 1:09pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

looking for store street pics
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   looking for store street pics
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: looking for store street pics  (Read 13009 times)
wx732
Railfan
Re: looking for store street pics

« Reply #160 on: May 25th, 2012, 7:28am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

If you look at  
http://vintageairphotos.com/bo-54-136/
with it zoomed in, there are a set of marks about 20' past the end of track on the albion yard side, and then a set of marks (much clearer) on the brewery side in the sidewalk area...about 4'8" apart.

(in 47-1456, right about under the 2 trucks front wheels...)

I'd also like to revise my opinion that the track got shifted, after looking again, I no longer think it did.  There's the loading dock structure in Albion yard, and that did not appear to change...since that would restrict any change of the track, it is unlikely they would have shifted the track over.

Everyone makes history.  We're just living our part of it

James

MinionII
Historian

« Reply #161 on: May 26th, 2012, 3:24am »

I think I see what you are seeing James, but I think that is just the shadow of the telephone poles...

Dave2
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #162 on: May 26th, 2012, 3:27am »

zooming in on the link wx732 highlighted triggered some old memories...the brewery under discussion, of course, the old Labatts brewery.  Like the old Eatons, or Capitol Theatre, you leave for a few years, and return to find they're gone.  Eatons and the Capitol (6) are obviously replaced with newer versions, but the brewery... I'd forgotten it was there.

Apologies for drifting off topic.   though the Johnson St bridge will soon join the list.

MinionII
Historian

« Reply #163 on: May 26th, 2012, 3:32am »

I find it interesting how what is now Blanshard street appears in that image. It looks like the current alignment required some houses to be razed...

Dave2
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #164 on: May 26th, 2012, 3:42am »

re Blanshard St.... http://unknownvictoria.blogspot.ca/2006/04/make-way-for-freeway.html

Leafing through an old (1977) copy of "Victoria, Then and Now"... Nothing relevant to the E&N (other than CPR ferries).... Some "Now" photos are unchanged, others now qualify as "Then"...  The Crystal Pool would need two newer photos.

Dave2
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #165 on: May 26th, 2012, 3:48am »

http://www.victoriaheritagefoundation.ca/Neighbourhoods/hillsidequadrahistory.html  and click on "Development of Blanshard St Thoroughfare.  Turns out to be 'on topic' (maybe not this thread)

Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #166 on: May 30th, 2012, 10:30pm »

Check this out! An aerial photo of the Store St Trackage from 1947.  

http://vintageairphotos.com/bo-47-1456/

churlish
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #167 on: Aug 8th, 2012, 8:06pm »

Hi, I'm a new member also looking at Store Street/Albion yard for modelling in the steam era. It's such an amazing, small-sized yet busy prototype! The photos and information here paint a very complete picture of the trackage.

From looking at other posts in this thread, am I correct to think that the Store St. yard was pretty much a large set of team tracks? If so, I was wondering if anything was known about the customers using the team tracks. I've read here that the shed was used for unloading reefers of produce. In aerial images you can see piles of unloaded lumber around the margins, and I've found this picture of telephone wire being unloaded:

http://www.bcarchives.gov.bc.ca/sn-3016D3/cgi-bin/text2html/.visual/img_txt/dir_97/i_01191.txt

I could imagine the brewery and Capital Iron might be team track customers. Are any actually known?

Thanks!

hillbank
Historian

« Reply #168 on: Aug 9th, 2012, 1:46am »

Welcome to the Forum, during the steam era just about everything coming into  Victoria came by rail or sea, trucking was nothing like it is now, in the photo showing the cable being unloaded at Store street you can see a stock car behind  the tractor, yes the brewery was a customer and many hardware, grocery and retail stores brought thier inventory in as well.  
To give you an example of what kind of freight came in on the E&N  in the 1970's at Cobble Hill siding, boxcars loaded with Fertilizer, bale twine, and even egg cartons were spotted and unloaded.

churlish
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #169 on: Aug 9th, 2012, 11:14pm »

Thanks for the information! I wasn't around during the steam era and the differences between today and then can be hard for me to get my head around at times (loading and unloading lumber, piece by piece, from a boxcar; Shovelling coal from a gondola). The context is really helpful.

Karl

Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #170 on: Aug 9th, 2012, 11:32pm »

on May 25th, 2012, 12:32am, Piglet wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I know where to borrow a photo recon airplane just need a time machine to get it back there to take the shots.

I'll contact Doc Brown.  

bigcreekcowboy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #171 on: Sep 24th, 2012, 11:29pm »

Came across this tonight. Thought it intresting  

http://www.victorialaw.ca/practice/news?articleid=7

thehighwayman
Historian

« Reply #172 on: Sep 25th, 2012, 12:09am »

on Sep 24th, 2012, 11:29pm, bigcreekcowboy wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Came across this tonight. Thought it intresting  

http://www.victorialaw.ca/practice/news?articleid=7

It has a 2008 copyright notice ... so it isn't something new.

Will MacKenzie
Flamborough, ON

hillbank
Historian

« Reply #173 on: Oct 23rd, 2012, 12:18am »

While reading the book The Canadian Pacifics Esquimalt and Nanaimo Railway by Robert Turner and Donald MacLachlan i came across an interesting note about the Albion yard on page 233.
"the Victoria Phoenix Brewery ( later the Lucky Lager Brewery and finally the Labatt Brewery) was just across Government Street from the yard, and installed an auger system under the street to take grain into the brewery from railway cars in the yard.

CPRail4744
Historian
  20151012_175543_0.jpg - 219688 Bytes
« Reply #174 on: Oct 14th, 2015, 10:33pm »

Current situation at Discovery Street

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/20151012_175543_0.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Matt Arnott, Kamloops, B.C.

"I would prefer to see it shipped by train..."
churlish
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #175 on: Apr 10th, 2016, 3:23pm »

Hi all, I've found what appear to be new photos of the Store Street and Albion yard areas using a resource I've not seen talked about on this forum yet, the City of Victoria's property assessment photos archive:

http://vicmap.victoria.ca/Html5Viewer/index.html?viewer=Archives

This link brings up a map with many small yellow squares. Each square represents at least one property assessment photo, available online, taken between 1959 and 1974. In some cases there are multiple photos associated with each yellow square, so be sure to scroll down. It has several street level photos of the freight shed at Albion yard:

Even more interestingly, there is pretty clear evidence regarding a question on the 1st page of this thread. CLC Fan's map of the Store Street trackage proposed a kickback spur going from Intercity Gas to behind Capital Iron, but the existence of this spur has been questioned. However, the property assessment photos have what seems to be pretty clear evidence of this spur dating from 1971, built to what appears to be proper “railway standards”:

I don't see any evidence of this spur on aerial photos posted in this thread that date from 1950 and 1991; in a CPR track diagram dated to 1960; or in Goose5's amazing photos at track level in 1985. So it seems likely that this spur was relatively short-lived.

« Last Edit: Apr 10th, 2016, 3:30pm by churlish » Logged
MinionII
Historian

« Reply #176 on: Apr 10th, 2016, 5:08pm »

Wow...amazing pictures of the industrial area in the Songhees.

EDIT: In many cases the little yellow box is a long way off where it should be. For example, Andrew Sheret is shown in the area of VMD, it's actually between Blanshard and Douglas on Bay. And there's an image taken from the Bay Street bridge northward into the CN yard...the 'lill yellow box is well south of the actual location.

« Last Edit: Apr 10th, 2016, 5:26pm by MinionII » Logged
churlish
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #177 on: Apr 10th, 2016, 6:09pm »

on Apr 10th, 2016, 5:08pm, MinionII wrote:       (Click here for original message)

EDIT: In many cases the little yellow box is a long way off where it should be. For example, Andrew Sheret is shown in the area of VMD, it's actually between Blanshard and Douglas on Bay. And there's an image taken from the Bay Street bridge northward into the CN yard...the 'lill yellow box is well south of the actual location.

Sorry, I forgot to mention the placement of the squares isn't always the most accurate. Also, I think that the photos are organized by the street address being assessed, rather than the actual location of the photo. Because of this, I've found the squares are generally on the right street but not necessarily the right location, and all the photos of a given building are all group together.

EDIT: And I see what you mean about the situation out in the Songhees. Almost everything is lumped together under "47 Songhees Road"!

« Last Edit: Apr 10th, 2016, 6:11pm by churlish » Logged
CLC Fan

View Profile  

CP_RDC_Victoria_1972.jpg - 139825 Bytes
« Reply #178 on: Jun 28th, 2016, 10:59am »

on Apr 10th, 2016, 3:23pm, churlish wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hi all, I've found what appear to be new photos of the Store Street and Albion yard areas using a resource I've not seen talked about on this forum yet, the City of Victoria's property assessment photos archive:

Good find!  My dad used have a summer job when he was 16 at that freight shed and loading dock pictured above.  Unloaded a lot of produce from boxcars with a fellow school chum.  He once mentioned a hilarious incident involving smashing a few watermelons.    And i'm old enough to remember seeing that building in the early 1970's.  I believe it burned down 1975(?).

Anyways, this photo was recently forwarded to me.  So much has changed eh?  I can barely remember the station being there, I just remember that once we got around it I would see the tracks and semaphores protecting the bridge and then on to the roundhouse.  

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (139825 bytes, 1085x746 pixels)

Click Here to View Image CP_RDC_Victoria_1972.jpg - 139825 Bytes

CPRail4744
Historian

« Reply #179 on: Jul 7th, 2016, 6:32pm »

...and the loading door to Buckerfields is open, maddeningly BEHIND the RDC, suggesting the presence of a railcar inside...

Matt Arnott, Kamloops, B.C.

"I would prefer to see it shipped by train..."
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »