Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Mar 23rd, 2017, 10:33am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

looking for store street pics
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   looking for store street pics
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: looking for store street pics  (Read 12590 times)
Goose5
Historian
View Profile  

Re: looking for store street pics
  scan0015.jpg - 47817 Bytes
« Reply #120 on: Oct 20th, 2007, 1:33pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/scan0015.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Goose5
Historian
View Profile  

scan0016.jpg - 51801 Bytes
« Reply #121 on: Oct 20th, 2007, 1:33pm »

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/scan0016.jpg
Click Image to Resize

mike_enr
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #122 on: Oct 20th, 2007, 1:57pm »

More amazing shots! Really neat that you caught some action on the Garden City Warehousing spur. The Store Street operations are some of the most fascinating to me anywhere. I was too young and living in Vancouver when it was still operational, so I never actually got to see any of it first hand, but these photos really give a feel for it and it seems like you were quite thorough.  

Sounds like you have a ton of pictures. Anything you decide to share will really be appreciated here.  Thanks a lot for posting.

Mike
vicguy
Historian

« Reply #123 on: Oct 20th, 2007, 3:01pm »

What a nice thing to wake up to! Thanks again for these awesome photos. You are answering a lot of questions for many of us! You are very thorough in documenting all the trackage and operations, something I wish I had done more of. I'm eagerly awaiting your CN photos, as not much has been posted of their operations on the island. Thanks again!

Chris

click here for E&N and other rail photos

Rail videos here
torch
Historian

« Reply #124 on: Oct 21st, 2007, 7:55am »

wow!   even more great fotos!  Hey Gooose.. do you have any fotos taken around the CN/ E&N interchange across the harbor? I remember there was a pretty elaborate bit of trackwork there and a frieght shed and propane dealer and team tracks served by CN.. thats definately something that hasnt been documented too much in fotos, just curious!

Goose5
Historian
View Profile  

scan0001-4.jpg - 46535 Bytes
« Reply #125 on: Oct 21st, 2007, 11:53am »

Thanks for your interest guys and yes I've got dozens of CN shots around the interchange, yard, car barge, etc. up to Borden Mercantile. There are action shots as well as freight car ones. Also have a track set of about 70 photos from the interchange switch up to the end of track at Borden Mercantile done in the same style as the Store St. set. I'll post these next as I start to work through everything I've got. After that I'll go through everything in the same order as it was shot as I have dates on it all. I'll post as I do each roll of stuff and will put it on the 3 main photo threads as needed for E&N / CN / Canfor rather than individual topic threads to avoid the photos being scattered all over the place. I haven't looked at some of my photos in ages and they bring back lots of memories for me too. How time flies, it seems that it was just yesterday that I was shooting them. This forums great and I'm glad I'm able to share these rather than having them just sitting in a box collecting dust as many do answer questions and provide knowledge of the area. I was never too organized in what I shot but went out when the mood struck or I ran across something interesting. This project will take a while as I'm just finishing a weeks holiday and had time to play around with this. Back to work tomorrow.  In the meantime here's a couple more I ran across in the pile showing tank cars in the yard on a rainy Apr 20, 1986. Cheers,

Dave

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/scan0001-4.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Goose5
Historian
View Profile  

scan0002-3.jpg - 39995 Bytes
« Reply #126 on: Oct 21st, 2007, 11:54am »

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/scan0002-3.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #127 on: Oct 21st, 2007, 1:16pm »

on Oct 19th, 2007, 8:47pm, craigolio wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Well I must admit I too thought we were out of luck for more pics of Store St.  Thanks so much for posting these latest ones.  They will help my modeling efforts immensely.  regarding the set you have where it shows the lead from the bridge where the station is now, they must be around 85 as the i think the station was built early in '86.

Craig

the station was built in 85 and opened in the late fall of the same year. I believe it was November.

Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #128 on: Oct 21st, 2007, 2:00pm »

Well now I know that the configuration of the yard and track layout to the various industries stayed pretty much the same up to the late 80s. I moved to Victoria in June of 87, so I unfortunately missed all of the good stuff.

vicguy
Historian

« Reply #129 on: Oct 21st, 2007, 3:46pm »

Thanks again for the great pictures and I'm looking forward to the CN ones. Anyway, what is the car that is 3rd from the left?  I've been staring at it for awhile but I can't figure out what it is! Also, are those water cars just being stored there?

« Last Edit: Oct 21st, 2007, 3:48pm by vicguy » Logged

Chris

click here for E&N and other rail photos

Rail videos here
Pyronova

View Profile  

« Reply #130 on: Oct 22nd, 2007, 1:20am »

on Oct 21st, 2007, 4:00pm, CLC Fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
unfortunately I think I would have a hard time justifying my 28 C-Liners cruising up and down Store Street! so I will stick to my Nelson diesel shop project.  

What scale?  I model N myself.......

Moderator of: Mainline - Rail Safety; Regional Areas - British Columbia & Vancouver Island; Fallen Flags - The Milwaukee Road; & Model Railroading - N-Scale .

cn2220
Historian

« Reply #131 on: Oct 22nd, 2007, 6:07pm »

on Oct 20th, 2007, 12:46pm, boxcar wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Tyler i do have to correct you, you can easily do a running drop with two guys on the ground, Yes it is against the rules, but it can be done....the only thing is you have to really trust who you are working with.

Since CN says no quits we don't fly around breaking all the rules like you CP guys  . But yes, it can be done with a conductor and helper alone. Conductor pulls the pin, the helper gets the switch and catches the car as it goes by, wrapping on a handbrake while spotting it up.

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
boxcar
Historian

« Reply #132 on: Oct 24th, 2007, 6:15pm »

Ah no quits that sucks have to remember back then running drops were allowed

Ttm Alyth yard
torch
Historian

« Reply #133 on: Oct 24th, 2007, 8:49pm »

the 'mystery' car amid those tank cars is just another water car. E&n used to have those and im not sure what they were built out of but look like a steam era leftover. Im pretty sure the rest of those tanks in the foto are water cars too. Something mustve been taking up extra space in the vic west yard or elsewhere that required the store street yard to be used for storage.  As for the 'mystery spur' across government to the brewery,im still trying to figure it out.. There was two spurs that parelled chatham street and you can see that in Dave's fotos. The active one at the time has a bumper/dock at the end and the other has it's switch removed but im thinkin that maybe the spur with the removed switch thats closest to chatham street in the foto was the one that once crossed government street to the brewery. In all the brewery fotos ive seen   it looks as if the spur may have curved across government northward and run into the south end of the brewery parallel to government. Can anybody add to this speculation?

SRY Train Guy

View Profile  

« Reply #134 on: Oct 25th, 2007, 5:19am »

Until I watched "Last Runs on Vancouver Island" I never knew that they actually ran down Store Street. However, I have excuses! First of all, I was born in 87, and secondly, I rarely make visits to Vancouver Island.  

During a visit this past August I was taking pictures of the Victoria station and I could see marks in the pavement on Store Street of where the tracks were. So I tried as best as I could to try and follow the marks in the pavement trying to find all the customers I noticed in the video. Referring to some of the pictures and maps posted, I now know that I was indeed following the tracks!

On that note, comparing my pictures I took in August and the pictures posted is unbelievable. Looking at a map of Store Street, its amazing how much I missed, and how much that area has changed. I found rails still crossing discovery street leading straight towards a tree thinking "where on earth did they connect?!"

Excellent pictures and excellent information. Thank you all for sharing!

SRY1202
Railfan

« Reply #135 on: Jul 7th, 2008, 11:05am »

I thought I'd bump this, so people don't have to go looking.

Steampower2
TRAINing
  Store_St_small.jpg - 117125 Bytes
« Reply #136 on: May 25th, 2009, 10:42am »

Hello Railfans:

I have been watching this forum for several years now and finally have something to post. I live in Ottawa, and have access to the National Aerial Photo Library. There are two very good sets of photos from the 1950's. One set was taken on July 4th 1950 and the other in August 59. The 1950 photos are very detailed as the aircraft was consideably lower than 1959. I purchased a few photos of areas that I am modeling around Victoria.  The NAPL advised that since these photos are now in the public domain, being more than 50 years old, they can be used with out copyright restrictions. This first image is of store street taken Tuesday July 4th 1950 about 0930 in the morning. I have resized this to a JPeg. Let me know if you need more detail.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/Store_St_small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Steampower2
TRAINing

« Reply #137 on: May 25th, 2009, 10:59am »

Well that photo looks great.

Have a look for:  

The Passenger train at the E&N station with the diesel on the head end with the train split in two and a truck loading the express car.  

There are two cars in the Janion building siding. Two cars at Swifts. Two cars at Kelly Douglas. Threes cars at Dowel Movers. There are two tank cars at the power plant (you can just see the end of one). There are fifty cars in Albion yard with many of the tracks full so that access to other tracks is blocked. There is no track in Capital Iron and none across Gouverment Street

There are three ships being broken up at Capital Iron. One looks like a Bangor class Sweeper and another a River class frigate.

Steampower2
TRAINing
  TeamTracks-1-.ai_661x868.jpg - 60115 Bytes
« Reply #138 on: May 25th, 2009, 11:12am »

Here is an Image that I am using to do track planning. It has the tracks in Albion yard highlighted.

The grid is 1 foot squares for HO and the scale of 3/4" to the foot means every 8th of an inch on the drawing is one inch full size for HO

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/TeamTracks-1-.ai_661x868.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Speeder
Historian

« Reply #139 on: May 25th, 2009, 2:01pm »

One of many interesting features that can be seen in this old aerial photo, is the original Cormorant St... an important part of our old Chinatown.

I knew that the lower part of Cormorant St vanished in redevelopment over half a century ago. But what I didn't realize was that some (or all) of the 500 block of Cormorant still exists today, renamed as the 500 block of Pandora. You can see clearly in the photo that it is Cormorant that goes straight down to the old station, and Pandora stops right at, what is today, the Victoria Plaza at Government St.

When they built Centennial Square, the 600 block of Cormorant vanished, and the 600 block of Pandora was joined to the 500 block of Cormorant. This explains the leftward curve seen today when travelling down Pandora across Government.

Thanks for the photo(s)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »