Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 28th, 2017, 6:00pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Locomotives of Vancouver Island
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   Locomotives of Vancouver Island
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  ...  19 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Locomotives of Vancouver Island  (Read 19938 times)
boxcar
Historian
Re: Locomotives of Vancouver Island

« Reply #60 on: Apr 21st, 2007, 11:23am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

The place in pa is the only place on the island to do anything like this, but then there is the problem of getting the stuff there.

Ttm Alyth yard
BCR 706
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #61 on: Apr 21st, 2007, 12:43pm »

Wondering. If another group was formed, where would be a good spot for it? I was thinking maybe on a stretch of old track on either the E&N or one of the old CN lines? Does anyone know of any line that still has it's rails but isn't used at all? If not, does anyone know of a abondoned line that doesn't have it's rails anymore?

CP8673
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #62 on: Apr 21st, 2007, 4:21pm »

The only other place that would have been any good at all was the old Crown Zellerbach facilities at Ldaysmith - completely destroyed on account of bonehead municipal and provincial politicians and no longer a viable option

Pyronova

View Profile  

LadysmithTrackDiagram.jpg - 102748 Bytes
« Reply #63 on: Apr 21st, 2007, 11:07pm »

on Apr 21st, 2007, 4:21pm, CP8673 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
The only other place that would have been any good at all was the old Crown Zellerbach facilities at Ldaysmith - completely destroyed on account of bonehead municipal and provincial politicians and no longer a viable option

Not completely true.  Alot of trackage is still under all the weeds and blackberries.  The south track is still within 10' of the E&N ROW and could easily be put back in place, as well as the east siding (some of the ties are still there - probably better condition than some near Union Bay TAKE THAT CH NEWS!)
I also heard that the pit was filled in the shop, but it could potentially be refurbished.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/LadysmithTrackDiagram.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Apr 21st, 2007, 11:14pm by Pyronova » Logged

Moderator of: Mainline - Rail Safety; Regional Areas - British Columbia & Vancouver Island; Fallen Flags - The Milwaukee Road; & Model Railroading - N-Scale .

CP8673
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #64 on: Apr 22nd, 2007, 12:11am »

on Apr 21st, 2007, 11:07pm, Pyronova wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Not completely true.  Alot of trackage is still under all the weeds and blackberries.  The south track is still within 10' of the E&N ROW and could easily be put back in place, as well as the east siding (some of the ties are still there - probably better condition than some near Union Bay TAKE THAT CH NEWS!)
I also heard that the pit was filled in the shop, but it could potentially be refurbished.

As to what is physically there/not there anymore you are completely correct, photo appreciated but not required to make your point.  The problem lies in what do you do with the businesses that have "stolen" the shop buildings.  Get rid of them and the rest is easy.

BCR 706
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #65 on: Apr 22nd, 2007, 1:28am »

And thank you Pyronova for the picture. For me it was helpful in that I've never seen the railways on Vancouver Island. Just the round house in Esquimalt.  . But good point CP8673. What to do with the businesses that are there now. What we could do is first get the track and then get the buildings after. But first would have to be the track. Since the buildings are being used so we know they will be here for a while, the track is a bit more uncertain future. And heck, maybe if this does happen, we can talk to SRY of VI and see if we can have it put back on there system.  

BCR 706
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #66 on: Apr 22nd, 2007, 1:30am »

I just noticed that Pyronova's picture has a sign that syas "E&N Station". Is their still a station building there and if so, does anyone have a picture of it?

BCR 706
Historian
View Profile  

HPIM1771_Taken_on_April_21.2007_772x575.jpg - 58174 Bytes
« Reply #67 on: Apr 22nd, 2007, 2:21am »

Since torch mentioned the GP-38AC's numbered 3000-3020. I caught 2 of them in Cloverdale today.

Here is 3012 at the lead of a west bound train. On April 21, 2007.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/HPIM1771_Taken_on_April_21.2007_772x575.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Apr 22nd, 2007, 2:22am by BCR 706 » Logged
BCR 706
Historian
View Profile  

HPIM1772_Taken_on_April_21.2007_772x575.jpg - 60035 Bytes
« Reply #68 on: Apr 22nd, 2007, 2:23am »

Here is 3001 behind 3012. On April 21, 2007 going through Cloverdale. So these 2 engines might have worked on VI. Does anyone have anything to clarify that they did indeed work the island.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/HPIM1772_Taken_on_April_21.2007_772x575.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Apr 22nd, 2007, 2:25am by BCR 706 » Logged
torch
Historian

« Reply #69 on: Apr 22nd, 2007, 7:47am »

Yes Balto.. I have  indeed seen both of those units  working on the island many times in the early 90s.. I used to live on the island. 3001 was particularily familiar! I miss those days in langford with frieght rolling throo daily... even if  it  was only in one direction one day and another direction the next. at least i could count on the times for the victoria turns. There semmed to be more irregularities in running times in the 80s..at least thats how it seemed sometimes.

torch
Historian
  island_trains_009.jpg - 44192 Bytes
« Reply #70 on: Apr 22nd, 2007, 8:03am »

please excuse the crumminess of some of these pics..wanted to git them up quick and dont have a  scanner. these are fotos of  fotos! this first one is of the engine terminal at welcox in july 1990.   number 3001 is in here but barely visible in the closest line of engines..its the fourth one.  also note the gp-35s.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/island_trains_009.jpg
Click Image to Resize

torch
Historian
  island_trains_007.jpg - 43372 Bytes
« Reply #71 on: Apr 22nd, 2007, 8:06am »

here gp-35s numbers  5019 and 5012 coming though view royal near the old island hi way in 1990.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/island_trains_007.jpg
Click Image to Resize

torch
Historian
  island_trains_008.jpg - 68692 Bytes
« Reply #72 on: Apr 22nd, 2007, 8:10am »

switchers in vic west yard , 1990.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/island_trains_008.jpg
Click Image to Resize

BCR 706
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #73 on: Apr 22nd, 2007, 11:22am »

Very nice pictures torch. They look pretty good for photos of photos.  . That's a lot of power for the E&N compared to what it is now.  . Also, does anyone know of any of the GP-35 that worked the island if any are still around the Lower Mainland? I'll have to big through my train back to see if I've got any pictures of any 5000 numbered and 3000 numbered locomotive. Also wondering, does anyone know if those 2 switchers are still around?

« Last Edit: Apr 22nd, 2007, 11:23am by BCR 706 » Logged
CP8673
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #74 on: Apr 22nd, 2007, 11:42am »

The GP-35s are history

BCR 706
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #75 on: Apr 22nd, 2007, 12:03pm »

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How long has it been? I say 2 of them 2 years ago. Do you know of they were resold to another company or if they got the cutters torch?

Piglet
Historian

« Reply #76 on: Apr 22nd, 2007, 12:50pm »

Torch your shot of the GP35's in View Royal sure makes me home sick.  I grew up catching the Dayliner north from Palmer Station just to the left of that shot.  I can remember watching from View Royal as the trains went up the side of Mill hill on their way north.  
There are a lot of the former island GP 38's up here on the flat lands around Edmonton and more down in Red Deer.  I drive trucks for a living so hoping out for a picture is out of the question unfortuneatly.  I will be heading south first on my holidays in July and I will see if I can grab a shot of some of them then (first I have to find the camera as my partner straightened up my office lol).

we learn from the past
CP8673
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #77 on: Apr 22nd, 2007, 1:32pm »

on Apr 22nd, 2007, 12:03pm, Balto wrote:       (Click here for original message)
NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How long has it been? I say 2 of them 2 years ago. Do you know of they were resold to another company or if they got the cutters torch?

Some were sold, some converted into control cabs.  I'm not at home so I can't look up the exact details for you.  I'd strongly recommend getting a copy of the Canadian Trackside Guide, that's my source for those "what happened to them" questions

Pyronova

View Profile  

« Reply #78 on: Apr 22nd, 2007, 1:40pm »

on Apr 22nd, 2007, 1:32pm, CP8673 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I'd strongly recommend getting a copy of the Canadian Trackside Guide...

Balto:

On your railfanning trips to New West, go to Pacific Scale Rail  (6th and Carnarvon 1 block east of the court house) and get a copy!  They have free parking off Carnarvon.

Moderator of: Mainline - Rail Safety; Regional Areas - British Columbia & Vancouver Island; Fallen Flags - The Milwaukee Road; & Model Railroading - N-Scale .

CP8673
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #79 on: Apr 22nd, 2007, 1:42pm »

on Apr 22nd, 2007, 7:47am, torch wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Yes Balto.. I have  indeed seen both of those units  working on the island many times in the early 90s.. I used to live on the island. 3001 was particularily familiar! I miss those days in langford with frieght rolling throo daily... even if  it  was only in one direction one day and another direction the next. at least i could count on the times for the victoria turns. There semmed to be more irregularities in running times in the 80s..at least thats how it seemed sometimes.

They tried different approaches during the 80's - Victoria crew run to Nanaimo and back same day (separate yard crew in Vic though), Victoria and Nanaimo crews run to Hayward, Mile 38 (Koksilah), Cobble Hill, or Malahat, change trains & return home and then the Nanaimo crew down one day, switch Victoria yard and go back the next.  Don't have time to look up the years that they did each version in, but the shorter runs were a result of elimination of the Victoria yard job as a separate position.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  ...  19 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »