Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 29th, 2017, 5:34am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Locomotives of Vancouver Island
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   Locomotives of Vancouver Island
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  ...  19 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Locomotives of Vancouver Island  (Read 20048 times)
Piglet
Historian
Re: Locomotives of Vancouver Island

« Reply #40 on: Apr 19th, 2007, 10:48pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

My partner just asked an interesting question.  What else island related does CP have squirreled away that is island related and should we go hunting for that?

we learn from the past
BCR 706
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #41 on: Apr 19th, 2007, 11:06pm »

That is a very good question. I've been wondering that as well. And one thing that I keep asking for is if anyone has a list of engines that worked on VI that are still owned by CPR.

torch
Historian

« Reply #42 on: Apr 19th, 2007, 11:28pm »

I can throw my two cents in.  im pretty darn sure that  GP-38 ACs  numbered between 3000 --3020 and higher may still be  working for  CP out there somewhere.. these  were  all on the islad  and I recall seeing just about all of those numbers at  one point or another  btween vic and courtenay in the late 80s and early 90s.    The GP-35s are another question tho.

BCR 706
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #43 on: Apr 20th, 2007, 12:00am »

Really, the 3000 numbers. Sweet, I see 2 of them based out of Port Coquitlam a lot. I will have to look for pictures I've taken of them and start taking more pictures of them.

North49
Former Member

« Reply #44 on: Apr 20th, 2007, 1:21am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

on Apr 19th, 2007, 9:55pm, FSD8014 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
This seems like as good a place as any to post this: WCRA has announced that CP has awarded Baldwin #8000 to them. I'm not terribly surprised but I am disappointed. I still feel this locomotive belongs on Vancouver Island. Oh well, another piece of VI's railway history goes elsewhere.

Im glad that they donated it to a historial association, but after visiting the WCRA today its seems like everything there is rotting away, so why wouldnt they give it to someone that would be able to restore is sooner than later?

BCR 706
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #45 on: Apr 20th, 2007, 2:08am »

Yah I was at the WCRA Park a few weeks back and took lots of pictures. A lot of the things there are rusting away but they do pretty well in my mind for the amount of volunteers they get to help them work on them. Anyway, maybe if we ask nicely they might send it to the island for restoration.  

North49
Former Member

« Reply #46 on: Apr 20th, 2007, 2:31am »

on Apr 20th, 2007, 2:08am, Balto wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Yah I was at the WCRA Park a few weeks back and took lots of pictures. A lot of the things there are rusting away but they do pretty well in my mind for the amount of volunteers they get to help them work on them. Anyway, maybe if we ask nicely they might send it to the island for restoration.  

We can dream, we can dream....maybe we could convince them we could start a WCRAVI(West Coast Railway Association Vancouver Island) haha the names a little long though.

BCR 706
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #47 on: Apr 20th, 2007, 2:39am »

lol yah, or maybe call it the WCIA (West Coast Island Association) lol. And as you said, we can dream.

FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #48 on: Apr 20th, 2007, 9:14am »

Maybe we should put our efforts into preserving what little is left. #8000 is gone and there isn't anything we can do about it. It will not come here again, period. If you want to see it you will have to visit Squamish.
In the "Canfor Logging Pics" section of this forum, CLC Fan has posted pictures of some equipment that was moved recently and is going to be scrapped. Maybe it should be saved. The two snowplows are built out of steam items; one was the tender from #111 (a Baldwin 2-6-6-2 - its the yellow one, the trucks give it away), the other was the bottom of a steam crane ( page 161 of 'Vancouver Island Railroads'). At least one of the flatcars was an equipment mover, like the ones that carried donkey engines. (What about the railcars at Ladysmith like the "Humdurgin?) It might not seem like much, but its a start. If there is ever going to be a collection on V I that is taken seriously, it has to have more than a few token items. Thats why WCRA is taken seriously and we aren't. If we can't save minor items how can we save large, important items like Canfor #113 or CP 8000?
Perhaps you can't get into saving something like the snowplows. How about the Kinsol trestle? Write letters to your MLA, or anyone who might be able to help.
After these artifacts are gone - they're gone for good. Pictures and stories are good but no replacement for the real thing. Moaning and complaining is of no value (even if I'm good at it!) because it isn't action.

BCR 706
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #49 on: Apr 20th, 2007, 11:37am »

Very good point FSD8014. We must get some equitment so that we can be taken seriously. I have read a bit of the strory about that snowplow? I only read that it was going to be scrapped if not saved. Wondering, how would you go about starting a group to help save this item? I wish I could do more to help save it but I live in Coquitlam on the mainland so I can't do much to help. But if a group was going to try then I would do all I could to help out. I know that a lot of the big groups in England all started with one little piece of equitment. What we could also maybe do is ask if we could start a branch of the West Coast Railway Association on Vancouver Island. Kind of like what 374 is to the WCRA. I'm just throwing ideas out here though. I would write to my MLA but I don't think they would care about saving something that's nowhere near their district.

« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2007, 11:39am by BCR 706 » Logged
Piglet
Historian

« Reply #50 on: Apr 20th, 2007, 12:50pm »

FSD8014 and Balto are very right.  The government just kicked in another 1.6 million for the Kinsol project.    The first and most straight forward thing is a work shop / covered storage area.  It would seem that the round house is touch and go with the desires of people to turn it into Steamwhistle brewing west or something.   Balto is right though, it all starts with one piece of equiptment and the show that the desire to do something is there.   Its like anything else, you need a dream and desire to build on.  Losing some of the "home built" equiptment that is still around is what started Mr. Wellburn back in the 60's on his forest museum.  I think in a lot of ways we are in the same situation for the  rest of the rail related items on the island.   The main thing needed to start is one piece of equiptment and  a place to put it and work on it/ display it.

we learn from the past
boxcar
Historian

« Reply #51 on: Apr 20th, 2007, 11:38pm »

why not get onboard with the group in pa and try using their group to get stuff, they have the facilities. Might be taken more seriously then the rail museum with out a home.

Ttm Alyth yard
BCR 706
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #52 on: Apr 20th, 2007, 11:50pm »

Hmmm. good point boxcar. Umm, just wondering, what is the group in pa and what does pa stand for? Parksville?

« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2007, 11:50pm by BCR 706 » Logged
vicguy
Historian

« Reply #53 on: Apr 21st, 2007, 12:04am »

pa= Port Alberni

Chris

click here for E&N and other rail photos

Rail videos here
North49
Former Member

« Reply #54 on: Apr 21st, 2007, 12:27am »

on Apr 20th, 2007, 11:50pm, Balto wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hmmm. good point boxcar. Umm, just wondering, what is the group in pa and what does pa stand for? Parksville?

You'd have to be an Islander to know that one haha

BCR 706
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #55 on: Apr 21st, 2007, 12:31am »

I feel left out. We've gotten too far into Vancouver Island code for me. lol. Yah, but that would be cool if we could save some piece of equitment and maybe see if we could store it in pa. hmmm, this gets some wheels turning.

CP8673
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #56 on: Apr 21st, 2007, 1:00am »

on Apr 21st, 2007, 12:31am, Balto wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I feel left out. We've gotten too far into Vancouver Island code for me. lol. Yah, but that would be cool if we could save some piece of equitment and maybe see if we could store it in pa. hmmm, this gets some wheels turning.

Port Alberni is the best equipped location for preservation of equipment on the Island.  Also, there are a considerable number of people here who do not have a lot of use for the WCRA on account of their (in)action with the late Dave Wilkie's photo collection.

CP8673
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #57 on: Apr 21st, 2007, 1:15am »

on Apr 19th, 2007, 10:48pm, Piglet wrote:       (Click here for original message)
My partner just asked an interesting question.  What else island related does CP have squirreled away that is island related and should we go hunting for that?

Most of the GP-9s that were assigned to the Island are currently based in Toronto, some Winnipeg or Calgary.  I was going to do a list of old & new numbers and where they're assigned to but that's way too much work for April so I will suggest looking in the Canadian Trackside Guide.

BCR 706
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #58 on: Apr 21st, 2007, 1:32am »

What's up with the Dave Wilkie collection? Is there some bad blood between the island and the WCRA right now over this? Just to see if I know, the Dave Wilkie collection is a photo collection right?

FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #59 on: Apr 21st, 2007, 10:29am »

It goes much deeper than just the Wilkie collection of photographs. A large part of their collection is a shambles of deteriorating railway equipment, I was personally offended by the state of their static collection last summer. For other people the problem is in the groups direction. Someone else can elaborate for you. There are a few (?) people severely disgruntled by this organization.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  ...  19 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »