Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 29th, 2017, 5:28am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Locomotives of Vancouver Island
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   Locomotives of Vancouver Island
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Locomotives of Vancouver Island  (Read 20047 times)
ENRFAN
Historian
Re: Locomotives of Vancouver Island
  DSC08235_819x614.jpg - 154086 Bytes
« Reply #300 on: Oct 5th, 2009, 9:09pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

southbound, lantzville, begining of march 2009

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/DSC08235_819x614.jpg
Click Image to Resize

cn2220
Historian
  sjvr3809wigwag_web.jpg - 67839 Bytes
« Reply #301 on: Oct 23rd, 2009, 12:17am »

Found this on Trainorders, 3809 in Cali.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/sjvr3809wigwag_web.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
Pyronova

View Profile  

« Reply #302 on: Oct 23rd, 2009, 12:58am »

on Oct 23rd, 2009, 12:17am, cn8863 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Warm sun, less rain and new paint!

She's looking happy in her new home?

Moderator of: Mainline - Rail Safety; Regional Areas - British Columbia & Vancouver Island; Fallen Flags - The Milwaukee Road; & Model Railroading - N-Scale .

Pyronova

View Profile  

« Reply #303 on: Oct 23rd, 2009, 12:59am »

on Oct 23rd, 2009, 12:17am, cn8863 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Pretty cool old style wig wag crossing signal....

Moderator of: Mainline - Rail Safety; Regional Areas - British Columbia & Vancouver Island; Fallen Flags - The Milwaukee Road; & Model Railroading - N-Scale .

ENRFAN
Historian

« Reply #304 on: Oct 23rd, 2009, 9:29am »

I can't wait untill the art of spraypainting locomotives and rail cars goes away. Its really not cool.

SRY1202
Railfan

« Reply #305 on: Oct 23rd, 2009, 2:31pm »

A moving canvas is too much of a draw. If you bomb a building only people who are in the city see your "work". If you bomb a rail car or a Locomotive, chances are pretty good that your "tag" will move across the country. Definitely an illegal act of vandalism, but I can see the motive behind it.

cn2220
Historian

« Reply #306 on: Oct 23rd, 2009, 3:44pm »

on Jun 8th, 2009, 4:58pm, bcr4604 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I remember that, just about ground the flanges off the wheels as well if I recall correctly. I'm surprised they never rolled a rail.

Especially with Ross Rowland doing 50 MPH through View Royal.

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
cn2220
Historian
  CP9305RDCatRigaudYd1973GHL.jpg - 64707 Bytes
« Reply #307 on: Oct 23rd, 2009, 3:45pm »

6148. Joeseph Testagrose photo.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/CP9305RDCatRigaudYd1973GHL.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
CN7059
Historian

« Reply #308 on: Oct 23rd, 2009, 5:06pm »

on Oct 23rd, 2009, 3:44pm, cn8863 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Especially with Ross Rowland doing 50 MPH through View Royal.

Do you remember when he bottomed out just as he entered a crossing, and bent the pilot under the front of the loci? They had to cut the pilot over each rail, so it would clear, and he scraped every crossing on the way back to the yard.

« Last Edit: Oct 23rd, 2009, 5:07pm by CN7059 » Logged

Grant Williamson, Saanich BC

cn2220
Historian

« Reply #309 on: Oct 23rd, 2009, 5:21pm »

on Oct 23rd, 2009, 5:06pm, CN7059 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Do you remember when he bottomed out just as he entered a crossing, and bent the pilot under the front of the loci? They had to cut the pilot over each rail, so it would clear, and he scraped every crossing on the way back to the yard.

I think it was the Humpback Rd crossing at the 10.7 mile.

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
MinionII
Historian

« Reply #310 on: Oct 23rd, 2009, 7:51pm »

For those of us who haven't a clue what you're talking about, care to share the story/details?

cn2220
Historian

« Reply #311 on: Oct 23rd, 2009, 8:19pm »

on Oct 23rd, 2009, 7:51pm, MinionII wrote:       (Click here for original message)
For those of us who haven't a clue what you're talking about, care to share the story/details?

If you ever drive cross the tracks on Humback Road, you'll see huge gashes cut into the ashphault. The Pacific Wilderness Rwy. train with CEO Ross Rowland(who often was speeding) at the controls hit the crossing doing 3x track speed over that crossing. The pilot on the lead engine hit the ashphault and was bent up underneath the locomotive, they had to cut it free. He also did 50 MPH through Langford and Colwood.

« Last Edit: Oct 23rd, 2009, 8:22pm by cn2220 » Logged

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
ENRFAN
Historian

« Reply #312 on: Oct 29th, 2009, 10:10pm »

on Oct 23rd, 2009, 2:31pm, CN7303 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
A moving canvas is too much of a draw. If you bomb a building only people who are in the city see your "work". If you bomb a rail car or a Locomotive, chances are pretty good that your "tag" will move across the country. Definitely an illegal act of vandalism, but I can see the motive behind it.

I can appreciate a good "bombing" but how is scribbling some words in code an art? Ive seen lots of really cool looking art on the side of a hopper or boxcar and  I don't mind it. Really what gets me is the messy writing its very unapealing. Maybe If I wore my hat backwards with stickers on it and listened to "50 cent" while I pulled up my baggy pants i would get it.

MinionII
Historian

« Reply #313 on: Oct 29th, 2009, 10:50pm »

on Oct 23rd, 2009, 8:19pm, cn8863 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

If you ever drive cross the tracks on Humback Road, you'll see huge gashes cut into the ashphault. The Pacific Wilderness Rwy. train with CEO Ross Rowland(who often was speeding) at the controls hit the crossing doing 3x track speed over that crossing. The pilot on the lead engine hit the ashphault and was bent up underneath the locomotive, they had to cut it free. He also did 50 MPH through Langford and Colwood.

Wow. That, is foolish.

What is track speed at that crossing? 15mph?

Aren't the crossing circuits set up for the track speed?
Wouldn't exceeding the limit by a factor of three jepordize the safety of the passengers and crew on board, as well as the general public at grade crossings?

Was it him at the controls that ground the edges off the rails over the Malahat, and not simply the wheelbase of the passenger car trucks that was at fault?

cn2220
Historian

« Reply #314 on: Oct 30th, 2009, 12:02am »

on Oct 29th, 2009, 10:50pm, MinionII wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Wow. That, is foolish.

What is track speed at that crossing? 15mph?

Aren't the crossing circuits set up for the track speed?
Wouldn't exceeding the limit by a factor of three jepordize the safety of the passengers and crew on board, as well as the general public at grade crossings?

Was it him at the controls that ground the edges off the rails over the Malahat, and not simply the wheelbase of the passenger car trucks that was at fault?

Most crossings have "predictor" circuits that guage how fast the train is moving and activate the signals based on the train's speed, that said, the crossing signals have to be active for 20 seconds before the train gets to the crossing.  

Regarding the speed I think it was more of a "controlled runaway" thing . I doubt Ross knew the territory very well. I believe it was the 6-axle cars on those curves. Those suckers were heavy too, heavier than what the CPR used in the days before the RDC's.

« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2009, 12:04am by cn2220 » Logged

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
Speeder
Historian

« Reply #315 on: Oct 30th, 2009, 12:23am »

on Oct 30th, 2009, 12:02am, cn8863 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Most crossings have "predictor" circuits that guage how fast the train is moving and activate the signals based on the train's speed, that said, the crossing signals have to be active for 20 seconds before the train gets to the crossing.  

Regarding the speed I think it was more of a "controlled runaway" thing . I doubt Ross knew the territory very well. I believe it was the 6-axle cars on those curves. Those suckers were heavy too, heavier than what the CPR used in the days before the RDC's.

Yes, newer crossings do have predictor circuits to gauge the speed of the approaching train. However, I'm not so sure that the ones on the E&N do. If you look at the way they have the track circuits set up on many E&N crossings... the sections of line that are slower, simply have shorter track circuits before (and after) the crossings (not counting the standard shorter circuit at the crossing itself).

Also, predictor circuits will switch the crossing off (temporarily) if the train comes to a standstill. I haven't observed this happening on the E&N (yet).  

As to Humpback Rd., why is the speed limit only 15mph? There are no sharp curves there. I've observed the RDC just south of the crossing last year (inbound) and it was travelling quite fast (by E&N standards).

capt
Chaser
  00090022_771x512.jpg - 75421 Bytes
« Reply #316 on: Dec 14th, 2009, 7:33pm »

came across this well going through some of my old pic

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/00090022_771x512.jpg
Click Image to Resize

cn2220
Historian

« Reply #317 on: Dec 14th, 2009, 10:36pm »

on Oct 30th, 2009, 12:23am, Speeder wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Also, predictor circuits will switch the crossing off (temporarily) if the train comes to a standstill. I haven't observed this happening on the E&N (yet).  

I have, at the Goldstream/Veterans Memorial Parkway xing, the crossings near the Nanaimo station, the Catherine Ave crossing just north of the roundhouse to name a few.

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
SRY 110
Historian
View Profile  

Past History of 110

« Reply #318 on: Dec 16th, 2009, 12:45pm »

Here are some pics of where 110 has been.

Not bad history.

More focus on the positive...less on the negative..
MinionII
Historian

« Reply #319 on: Dec 16th, 2009, 1:39pm »

Too bad they chopped her.  

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »