Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Dec 13th, 2017, 9:22pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Locomotives of Vancouver Island
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   Locomotives of Vancouver Island
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Locomotives of Vancouver Island  (Read 20352 times)
ENR3005
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Locomotives of Vancouver Island

« Reply #240 on: Oct 10th, 2008, 12:53am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

tfctrains & Sidewinder

I am curious about this brief log hauling operation and how it was operated. Did the E&N continue hauling logs into Port Alberni in 1988 and 1989 as I have photos of GP35s and GP38s sitting beside strings of loaded log flats in Wellcox or was this some sort of logging operation during that period. During the strike in 1986, were the log flats loaded at Wellcox or were they loaded somewhere on the mainland and shipped loaded onto the barge and off loaded at Wellcox? How and where were the log flats unloaded at Port Alberni? Did they have a fulltime yard crew assigned during this time to switch the large number of cars delivered plus the regular freight traffic? If so what was used for power? I am sure I could ask another dozen questions however I will leave them for another night as I think I have used my allowance for tonight. Thanks for any info you guys could provide

on Oct 4th, 2008, 1:24am, tfctrains wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I have always acted responsibly in the pursuit of my railfan hobby and shown respect for the people that work on the railroads whether  they be section workers or superindents. And it has paid off as it did that day at Cameron Lake.
The Superindent had his hands full that day , he probably didn't even have to talk to us. We were the only ones permitted there that day, we were quite honered.
The superindent had been treated poorly by the news media during the log haul to Port Alberni and he had very good reason not to have photo's taken for anything other than our personal use. Now 20 some years later we are now able to share them with you all.

« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2008, 12:54am by ENR3005 » Logged
Sidewinder
Historian

« Reply #241 on: Oct 10th, 2008, 1:51am »

on Oct 10th, 2008, 12:53am, ENR3005 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
tfctrains & Sidewinder

I am curious about this brief log hauling operation and how it was operated. Did the E&N continue hauling logs into Port Alberni in 1988 and 1989 as I have photos of GP35s and GP38s sitting beside strings of loaded log flats in Wellcox or was this some sort of logging operation during that period. During the strike in 1986, were the log flats loaded at Wellcox or were they loaded somewhere on the mainland and shipped loaded onto the barge and off loaded at Wellcox? How and where were the log flats unloaded at Port Alberni? Did they have a fulltime yard crew assigned during this time to switch the large number of cars delivered plus the regular freight traffic? If so what was used for power? I am sure I could ask another dozen questions however I will leave them for another night as I think I have used my allowance for tonight. Thanks for any info you guys could provide

I am not going to be able to give you definitive answers to your questions about operations.  I do have a photo of the log loading facility at Wellcox.  Tfctrains has more insight into what was going on at the Port Alberni end.  He and I have talked about the photos of the derailment in our collections and understand that you would like to know more.  His photos have not come to light yet, but they should as time goes on. CP8673 suggested a new thread.  Stay tuned.  In the mean time, though, perhaps tfctrains can answer a few of your questions.

« Last Edit: Oct 10th, 2008, 1:52am by Sidewinder » Logged
tfctrains
Historian

« Reply #242 on: Oct 10th, 2008, 2:32am »

on Oct 10th, 2008, 12:53am, ENR3005 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
tfctrains & Sidewinder

I think they only hauled the logs during the strike or for a short period after the strike, I understand the logs came from Alaska, they were dumped in Ladysmith Harbour, then trucked to Welcox, loaded on the log cars. I think trains of about 26 or 27 cars left Welcox twice a day, when they would get to Port Alberni, the crew would get off the train and a Company official would run the train into the pulp mill to be unloaded. I am not sure how they were unloaded, the pulp mill may have switched the empties out of the mill, I am not sure. As for the regular frieght, I do not remember very much moving during that time period, it may have been declared "HOT" and the crews on the train would not haul them, I am also not sure. Hopefully I will some pictures of the operation  and post them over the winter.

Sidewinder
Historian
  Woss-2.jpg - 149764 Bytes
« Reply #243 on: Oct 14th, 2008, 12:10am »

Here is an example that could be described as somewhat unusual from the days when Woss had switchstand lanterns.  I guess you could argue that it is not a locomotive but a Skagit railcar.  But, since it was used for motive power at a logging show on a hillside above Beaver Cove, it is a locomotive of sorts.  The image was copied from a slide taken during the mid to late 50s.  The Skagit is numbered 250 and was dubbed the "outhouse on wheels".  Actually, the name was bit more rude.... you figure it out.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/Woss-2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

cn2220
Historian

« Reply #244 on: Oct 14th, 2008, 1:02am »

Is that the diesel shay on the right, there?

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
Sidewinder
Historian

« Reply #245 on: Oct 19th, 2008, 12:19am »

on Oct 14th, 2008, 1:02am, cn7066 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Is that the diesel shay on the right, there?

It sure is!  The above photo and the one under "Canfor's diesel shay", Reply 12, are from the same group of slides.  Pretty sure they were taken the same day.

« Last Edit: Oct 20th, 2008, 1:21am by Sidewinder » Logged
Sidewinder
Historian
  1238.jpg - 253381 Bytes
« Reply #246 on: Oct 20th, 2008, 1:28am »

Here is another locomotive that worked the E & N.  Seems to me, someone else posted a photo of an SW-1200 but I couldn't find it during a quick search. Pardon the duplication if that is the case!
August 22, 1986

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/1238.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Oct 21st, 2008, 12:02am by Sidewinder » Logged
cn2220
Historian

« Reply #247 on: Oct 20th, 2008, 11:01am »

1238. Isn't that the engine that works the switch job out of Castlegar?

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
Mark J
Railfan

« Reply #248 on: Oct 20th, 2008, 1:35pm »

Yes it was but has had a bunch of mechanical problems since last year.  A GP38-2 had been brought in to replace it but more recently an MP15 showed up

FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #249 on: Oct 21st, 2008, 8:34pm »

Did anyone catch the report on Chek news last night on Harmac Pacific's mill? It included the mills SW-900 #915.
Actually, A channel has also done a report about them. Is there a change in policy about cameras in the mill site with the change in ownership?

tfctrains
Historian
  image0-8.jpg - 81824 Bytes
« Reply #250 on: Dec 12th, 2008, 12:58am »

Recently someone asked, did they run GP7's on the Island. Here is a photo taken at Welcox Feb 79 of CP 8424, I believe this was the last GP 7 built for CP. I will post a photo of it soon, on the Nitnat Logger.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/image0-8.jpg
Click Image to Resize

missthealcos
Historian

« Reply #251 on: Dec 13th, 2008, 3:09pm »

Wow, that's the first proof of a GP7 over there (CP anyway) I've ever seen

tfctrains
Historian

« Reply #252 on: Dec 14th, 2008, 12:29am »

on Dec 13th, 2008, 3:09pm, missthealcos wrote:       (Click here for original message)

My son was telling me that he remembers more GP 7's on the Island when he was young, for one he remembers 8410, I will post it one day if I can find a photo of it. The photo I posted on Log haul operation 1986 of a log train at Ladysmith has 8424 leading, my son remembers. I have another photo of it trailing that I will post soon.

« Last Edit: Dec 14th, 2008, 11:53pm by tfctrains » Logged
Dayliner
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #253 on: Dec 14th, 2008, 7:36pm »

on Dec 13th, 2008, 3:09pm, missthealcos wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Dispatcher's records for April 1973 show 8415 and 8410 on the Island for the first ten days of the month.

Life without trains? Inconceivable!
Sidewinder
Historian
  Wellcox_copy.jpg - 133472 Bytes
« Reply #254 on: Feb 11th, 2009, 12:29am »

Here is a photo of Wellcox that tells a bit of a story.

This is the day MacMillan Bloedel's #1066 returned to Vancouver Island to be displayed at Qualicum Beach wearing her original company markings as Bloedel Stewart & Welch #4 looking much like she did when arriving at Menzies Bay in 1925.

August 14, 1985.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/Wellcox_copy.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2009, 8:25pm by Sidewinder » Logged
joncalon
Historian

« Reply #255 on: Mar 29th, 2009, 10:19am »

Hey guys,

Hoping to find out a bit of info with respect to my plans for an HO scale layout in my basement from Wellcox to Courtenay, but trying to nail down what locomotives I need is a bit of a challenge since I haven't fully pinned down the era I'm going to be modelling.

I've got two GP38's, a GP35, a GP30, and a few GP9's.  What would be an appropriate year for me to model so I use all of them?

Thanks,
Jon

Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #256 on: Mar 29th, 2009, 10:59am »

Since it is YOUR layout, do with it as YOU wish. Model whatever pleases you. As a suggestion, I model no particular era, so I can have a Big Boy rolling along with umpteen cars, and on another track, a series of SD's. I will say that when visitors show up, they look for the steamers and are fascinated by the siderods action. The engine looks like it is moving even when it isn't.

Dyed in the wool PRR fan.
Triplex
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #257 on: Mar 29th, 2009, 11:24am »

The GP38 is the youngest of those designs, from the late 60s.

CP still has many GP9s, but they were all rebuilt with low noses in the 80s.

CP's GP35s and GP30s (only ever had two of the latter) were retired in the late 90s.

Fan of late and early Conrail... also transition-era PRR, 70s Santa Fe, BN and SP, 70s-80s eastern CN, pre-merger-era UP, heavy electric operations in general, dieselized narrow gauge, modern EFVM and Brazilian railroads in general, transition-era DB and DR... why bother trying to list them all?
missthealcos
Historian

« Reply #258 on: Mar 30th, 2009, 5:30pm »

1988 (*maybe* late 87) is about the only year you could "accuratley" model with all of those present together..the cross over between the 30/35/38's and the unrebuilt GP9's wasn't very long, and the 30's and 35's I think came over in late 87 at the earliest, and left before 91 as far as I know..after that, it was all 38's, a few -2's in the last CP years, and the odd 8200 series rebuilt GP9(8236 for certain)...but yes, it's your layout! I'm a rivet counter extraordinaire(nutjob, in other words), and my railway is technically 87-89, but I violate my own rules there too(although, only older, not newer!). If I was to be sending in photos for publishing, I might make a point of making sure noone could nitpick me, but otherwise, not THAT strict. The only 2 rules strictly adhered to on my railway are simple. 1;  NO GE power, none, ever...bitter much? . and 2: Freight trains run with a caboose, FRED is not a welcome visitor!

« Last Edit: Mar 30th, 2009, 5:38pm by missthealcos » Logged
joncalon
Historian

« Reply #259 on: Mar 30th, 2009, 11:39pm »

on Mar 30th, 2009, 5:30pm, missthealcos wrote:       (Click here for original message)
1988 (*maybe* late 87) is about the only year you could "accuratley" model with all of those present together..the cross over between the 30/35/38's and the unrebuilt GP9's wasn't very long, and the 30's and 35's I think came over in late 87 at the earliest, and left before 91 as far as I know...

Thanks a million for that!  That info is exactly what I was looking for.  I was aiming for 85-86, but guessing that I'll need to go forward a couple more years to get into the timeframe where all of them could've been active.

I suppose the other distinct possibility is that I can shift the years and represent slightly different timeframes.

Jon

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »