Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Dec 11th, 2017, 6:03pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Locomotives of Vancouver Island
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   Locomotives of Vancouver Island
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Locomotives of Vancouver Island  (Read 20347 times)
CP8673
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Locomotives of Vancouver Island

« Reply #220 on: Oct 2nd, 2008, 1:30am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I'd say that anything you promised the weed weasel ceased to apply the second CP departed the island.  Besides, his main concern would have been news coverage.

Prehaps a separate thread would be in order though.

« Last Edit: Oct 2nd, 2008, 1:31am by CP8673 » Logged
tfctrains
Historian

« Reply #221 on: Oct 4th, 2008, 1:24am »

on Oct 2nd, 2008, 1:30am, CP8673 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I'd say that anything you promised the weed weasel ceased to apply the second CP departed the island.  Besides, his main concern would have been news coverage.

Prehaps a separate thread would be in order though.

I have always acted responsibly in the pursuit of my railfan hobby and shown respect for the people that work on the railroads whether  they be section workers or superindents. And it has paid off as it did that day at Cameron Lake.
The Superindent had his hands full that day , he probably didn't even have to talk to us. We were the only ones permitted there that day, we were quite honered.
The superindent had been treated poorly by the news media during the log haul to Port Alberni and he had very good reason not to have photo's taken for anything other than our personal use. Now 20 some years later we are now able to share them with you all.

CP8673
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #222 on: Oct 4th, 2008, 6:55am »

on Oct 4th, 2008, 1:24am, tfctrains wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I have always acted responsibly in the pursuit of my railfan hobby and shown respect for the people that work on the railroads whether  they be section workers or superindents. And it has paid off as it did that day at Cameron Lake.
The Superindent had his hands full that day , he probably didn't even have to talk to us. We were the only ones permitted there that day, we were quite honered.
The superindent had been treated poorly by the news media during the log haul to Port Alberni and he had very good reason not to have photo's taken for anything other than our personal use. Now 20 some years later we are now able to share them with you all.

I should have checked the timeline before choosing my words.  The person who I thought (incorrectly) that you were referring to had departed the Island by then and was probably retired.  While the majority of E&N/Vancouver Division officials were fair to both employees and fans, the one that came to mind was not well liked here or where he ended up and opportunities for things like cab rides increased very quickly after his departure.

« Last Edit: Oct 4th, 2008, 12:30pm by CP8673 » Logged
Sidewinder
Historian
  Railfan2.jpg - 172103 Bytes
« Reply #223 on: Oct 4th, 2008, 6:22pm »

Nice exchange,guys..... makes for a gratifying read.
Respect can go a long way to get that elusive picture on railway property.  At least, it used to.  Today's safety conscious companies with liabilities in the forefront can be less forgiving.

Since I was the character who managed to move off topic, let me fix that.  Time to get back on track (no pun intended).

Here is one of Vancouver Island's more diminutive locomotives oozing with charm sitting on the interchange tracks at Ladysmith.  July 1983.  Anybody know what happened to the 107 in the end?

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/Railfan2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pyronova

View Profile  

« Reply #224 on: Oct 4th, 2008, 6:31pm »

on Oct 4th, 2008, 6:22pm, Sidewinder wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Ladysmith.  July 1983.  Anybody know what happened to the 107 in the end?  

It may have ended up in Port Alberni......

Moderator of: Mainline - Rail Safety; Regional Areas - British Columbia & Vancouver Island; Fallen Flags - The Milwaukee Road; & Model Railroading - N-Scale .

CN7059
Historian

« Reply #225 on: Oct 4th, 2008, 6:54pm »

on Oct 4th, 2008, 6:31pm, Pyronova wrote:       (Click here for original message)

It may have ended up in Port Alberni......

There is a remarkably similar locomotive sitting in the round house in Port, however, it is painted green. Was this one by any chance powered by a gasoline V8 engine?

Grant Williamson, Saanich BC

Sidewinder
Historian
  Railfan2a.jpg - 143048 Bytes
« Reply #226 on: Oct 4th, 2008, 7:38pm »

on Oct 4th, 2008, 6:54pm, CN7059 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

There is a remarkably similar locomotive sitting in the round house in Port, however, it is painted green. Was this one by any chance powered by a gasoline V8 engine?

My records say it was gasoline powered but doesn't mention the cylinder count.  Here is another view of it (Feb. 1987) that may help convince you that it is the same one in Port.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/Railfan2a.jpg
Click Image to Resize

CN7059
Historian

« Reply #227 on: Oct 4th, 2008, 8:35pm »

on Oct 4th, 2008, 7:38pm, Sidewinder wrote:       (Click here for original message)

My records say it was gasoline powered but doesn't mention the cylinder count.  Here is another view of it (Feb. 1987) that may help convince you that it is the same one in Port.

Sure looks like it. It must be the, as that is a fairly unique machine.

Grant Williamson, Saanich BC

cn2220
Historian

« Reply #228 on: Oct 5th, 2008, 3:07am »

on Oct 4th, 2008, 8:35pm, CN7059 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Sure looks like it. It must be the, as that is a fairly unique machine.

It is the one in Port Alberni. Went to Port around the same time that the 8427 did, so I hear.

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
tfctrains
Historian

« Reply #229 on: Oct 5th, 2008, 3:30am »

on Oct 5th, 2008, 3:07am, cn7066 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

It is the one in Port Alberni. Went to Port around the same time that the 8427 did, so I hear.

Yes, you are right, it is in Port Alberni, It would be important to their collection as it was Alberni Pacific Lumber's # 7:1.  I would like to think that Sidewinder has a photo of it sitting at Camp A with more of A.P.L. engine's.

Sidewinder
Historian
  Railfan4-2.jpg - 162243 Bytes
« Reply #230 on: Oct 6th, 2008, 12:23am »

on Oct 5th, 2008, 3:30am, tfctrains wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I would like to think that Sidewinder has a photo of it sitting at Camp A with more of A.P.L. engine's.

Nope..... had a quick look.  You must have seen the photo elsewhere.

This photo caused me to pause the other day.  Brought to mind how at one time, you could expect to see something different at Wellcox quite regularly.  Not necessarily something new, but something different.  In this case, though, the paint was indeed new.  The screen just to the rear of the cab of the 8831 still has the sheet metal strip that used to carry the yellow stripe of the previous paint scheme.  September 1975.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/Railfan4-2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

tfctrains
Historian
  !cid_F46DB0D8-CB62-4FE4-86C7-EED4CE249F23local.jpg - 47362 Bytes
« Reply #231 on: Oct 6th, 2008, 1:58am »

on Oct 6th, 2008, 12:23am, Sidewinder wrote:       (Click here for original message)

This photo caused me to pause the other day.  Brought to mind how at one time, you could expect to see something different at Wellcox quite regularly.  Not necessarily something new, but something different.  In this case, though, the paint was indeed new.  The screen just to the rear of the cab of the 8831 still has the sheet metal strip that used to carry the yellow stripe of the previous paint scheme.  September 1975.

I did find this, I understand this a Gordon Hulford picture from another site!
 As I mentioned earlier this was a Alberni Pacific Lumber's engine, their first # 7, they traded this engine for Comox Loggings# 4 a Heisler, she had suffered a boiler explosion in Aug 1920 and was rebuilt. The trade took place in 1936. Alberni Pacific rebuilt the engine and on its first trip it ran away. It was a total wreck, it's tender is still in the bush above Camp A.

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (47362 bytes, 902x513 pixels)

Click Here to View Image !cid_F46DB0D8-CB62-4FE4-86C7-EED4CE249F23local.jpg - 47362 Bytes

Pyronova

View Profile  

« Reply #232 on: Oct 6th, 2008, 3:21am »

on Oct 6th, 2008, 12:23am, Sidewinder wrote:       (Click here for original message)
The screen just to the rear of the cab of the 8831 still has the sheet metal strip that used to carry the yellow stripe of the previous paint scheme.

Here is a link to a pic with the old paint scheme:
http://www.trainweb.org/galt-stn/cproster/locomotive/8500s/cp8528-1.htm

From the Website: http://www.trainweb.org/galt-stn/cproster/topindex.htm

Moderator of: Mainline - Rail Safety; Regional Areas - British Columbia & Vancouver Island; Fallen Flags - The Milwaukee Road; & Model Railroading - N-Scale .

missthealcos
Historian

« Reply #233 on: Oct 6th, 2008, 2:52pm »

Another great pic!

And, it also adds another model to "what operated on VI"....that's an S10, rare unit, unique to CP, none survived.

Also...the metal strip for the yellow stripe, there are GP9u's that STILL have that "feature"!..I'll have to dig out some pictures, but they definatley exist.
If I recall correctly, for some reason, 1691-1697(8831 now being 1694, and no, I didn't look that up...scary, isn't it? now, if I could actually remember something important for once!!!) all have it..strange that there would be a consecutive group like that, but I seem to recall seeing that it is true.

« Last Edit: Oct 6th, 2008, 6:50pm by missthealcos » Logged
Sidewinder
Historian
  Wellcox8833a.jpg - 154812 Bytes
« Reply #234 on: Oct 7th, 2008, 1:19am »

on Oct 6th, 2008, 2:52pm, missthealcos wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Also...the metal strip for the yellow stripe, there are GP9u's that STILL have that "feature"!..I'll have to dig out some pictures, but they definatley exist.
If I recall correctly, for some reason, 1691-1697(8831 now being 1694, and no, I didn't look that up...scary, isn't it? now, if I could actually remember something important for once!!!) all have it..strange that there would be a consecutive group like that, but I seem to recall seeing that it is true.

Good memory!  Interesting the metal strip is on some engines after all these years.  It would be nice if you could post a photo of the 1694.

This was my one and only encounter with a maroon and gray locomotive on Vancouver Island after buying a SLR.  Of course, the sun had to be low resulting in a less than ideal exposure.  There was no way of knowing this was to be the last opportunity.  Wellcox, early 70s.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/Wellcox8833a.jpg
Click Image to Resize

missthealcos
Historian

« Reply #235 on: Oct 7th, 2008, 2:11pm »

http://www.mountainrailway.com/Roster%20Archive/CP%201600/CP%201694.htm

here you go, It shows clearly...the others are there as well. My own pics require me to scan them(and find them!)

good memory? more of a "warped" memory;)

1693 doesn't have it in the pics.
1691-97 are the switchers built from the late(last) group of GP-9s purchased, the 26L units.

« Last Edit: Oct 7th, 2008, 2:16pm by missthealcos » Logged
Pyronova

View Profile  

« Reply #236 on: Oct 9th, 2008, 3:32am »

on Oct 7th, 2008, 2:11pm, missthealcos wrote:       (Click here for original message)
http://www.mountainrailway.com/Roster%20Archive/CP%201600/CP%201694.htm

here you go, It shows clearly...the others are there as well. My own pics require me to scan them(and find them!)

good memory? more of a "warped" memory;)

1693 doesn't have it in the pics.
1691-97 are the switchers built from the late(last) group of GP-9s purchased, the 26L units.

What were the modifications and why the numbering change?

cn2220
Historian

« Reply #237 on: Oct 9th, 2008, 11:22am »

on Oct 9th, 2008, 3:32am, Pyronova wrote:       (Click here for original message)

What were the modifications and why the numbering change?

Upgraded electrics, and a chopped nose are a couple of modifications made. The 1500's and 1600's are, if I recall correctly, yard switchers while the 8200's are road switchers.

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
Pyronova

View Profile  

« Reply #238 on: Oct 9th, 2008, 12:21pm »

on Oct 9th, 2008, 11:22am, cn7066 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Upgraded electrics, and a chopped nose are a couple of modifications made. The 1500's and 1600's are, if I recall correctly, yard switchers while the 8200's are road switchers.

What is the difference?  Performance ranges?

missthealcos
Historian

« Reply #239 on: Oct 9th, 2008, 3:17pm »

The 1512-1652 series were rebuilt from units in the 8498-8823 series, as strictly yard units. They lost their DB, and transition, and as such were limited to 35mph

The 1690-1697(was supposed to be up to 1705) were rebuilt from the 8825-8839 series, which had the newer 26L brake schedule, along with a few other differences from the older units(basically, they had many features that would eventually be found in the GP18, which we never had, they just kept updating the GP9 designation..8839 actually had the GP18's 567D1 prime mover when built) Also lost DB and Transition. CP chose to distinguish these units from the earlier ones right from the start, as 1691 was rebuilt the same year(1980) as 1512.

The 1682-1690 units were an addition, they are the 3 TH&B GP9's and 6 remaining GP7's..the GP7's were given upgraded 645C blocks from the former CP FP9's which were repurchased from Via after retirement in 1983, unlike the original CP GP7's which have 645BC Prime movers, retaining the original 1500 HP rating. 1682-1690 have the same switcher modifications as the rest, except the TH&B units were built without DB, and so stand out from the rest of the fleet.

The 8200-8204 group were rebuilt prior to the major rebuilding program, in the '70's, and were simply renumbered as 8200's, remaining as full road units, with DB, and 65 MPH  

In 1987, The switcher program was terminated(as was the 1200 series SW1200RS program), and the remaining unrebuilt GP9s were rebuilt for road service, and numbered above the existing units, 8205-8249, ending in late 1989. For whatever reason, their was no distinction between the 24RL and 26L units after rebuilding to the 8200 series.
8250-8252 are units that were in the 1500 and 1600 series which had their transition equipment reinstalled in the 90's, and are now road units again..but still do not have DB. The 8200's above that are former SOO units.

Clear things up a bit?

« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2008, 3:31pm by missthealcos » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »