Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jul 24th, 2017, 11:04pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Locomotives of Vancouver Island
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   Locomotives of Vancouver Island
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  19 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Locomotives of Vancouver Island  (Read 20122 times)
cn2220
Historian
Re: Locomotives of Vancouver Island

« Reply #200 on: Aug 28th, 2008, 8:31pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

110 in a previous life. BN 1897
http://www.trainpix.com/bn/EMDORIG/GP9/1897.HTM

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
Sidewinder
Historian
  Wellcox1960a.jpg - 105300 Bytes
« Reply #201 on: Aug 31st, 2008, 11:06pm »

Driving around Nanaimo the other day, it came to mind that it was 50 years ago give or take that it became routine for my parents to drop me off at the vantage point overlooking the Wellcox engine facilities.  The yards were fascinating whether something was moving or not.  A group of Baldwins would be there chanting away (never shut them down in those days) and that alone was captivating.  One day, I inherited a WWII vintage box camera (hey, don't laugh... it was a big deal) and took the following image.

Cont'd in the next reply.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/Wellcox1960a.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Sidewinder
Historian
  Wellcox2008a.jpg - 189672 Bytes
« Reply #202 on: Aug 31st, 2008, 11:23pm »

It seemed like a good opportunity to take a photo from the same spot 50 years later.  Things have changed, to say the least.  The profile of the hills on Grabriola Island in the distance can be seen in both images.  Also, the concrete pad in front of the 8006 in the B&W image remains today and the roof of the building that can be seen through the gap between the SRY engines in the colour photo is discernible above the roof lines of the Baldwins.

Can't help but wonder what the scene will look like in another 50 years.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/Wellcox2008a.jpg
Click Image to Resize

missthealcos
Historian

« Reply #203 on: Sep 2nd, 2008, 2:28pm »

Pictures like this are great, extremely interesting...I do a fair amount of that type of thing, though normally duplicating scenes taken by others many years ago...not old enough!

Sidewinder
Historian

« Reply #204 on: Sep 2nd, 2008, 5:43pm »

on Sep 2nd, 2008, 2:28pm, missthealcos wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Pictures like this are great, extremely interesting...I do a fair amount of that type of thing, though normally duplicating scenes taken by others many years ago...not old enough!

Couldn't agree more..... before and after pictures are fascinating.  I have attempted to duplicate scenes photographed by others, too..... Nicholas Morant, Dave Wilkie, tfctrains. Enough time has gone by for my own steps to be retraced.  Hate to tell you this, "Be patient..... your time will come."

CLC Fan

View Profile  

« Reply #205 on: Sep 2nd, 2008, 8:12pm »

Wow, and when you took that b&w pic of the Baldwins my grandfather was working out of that terminal mostly towards Port Alberni.

50 years from now I fear that will all be condo's or housing of some sort.  Here's to hoping that steel wheels on steel rail will endure and that maybe my boy will be standing there 50 years from now taking a before/after pic and comparing it with these two.

Now isn't that a trippy thought!  

missthealcos
Historian

« Reply #206 on: Sep 2nd, 2008, 8:57pm »

Well, I'm 32, so there are a few that I've done of my own...but yes, you definatley have a point;)

Another point, in the "now" pic...129 was already 8 years old when you took the "then" pic, and 124 was brand new!

Much like the people, they are still kicking!

Sidewinder
Historian

« Reply #207 on: Sep 2nd, 2008, 11:47pm »

on Sep 2nd, 2008, 8:12pm, CLC Fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
50 years from now I fear that will all be condo's or housing of some sort.  Here's to hoping that steel wheels on steel rail will endure and that maybe my boy will be standing there 50 years from now taking a before/after pic and comparing it with these two.

Condo's!!!!  You could very well be right, but let's hope sanity prevails and the railway continues to be a player, a major player, in Vancouver Island's transportation network.

I sincerely hope your son does get a chance to photograph trains at the same location.  But, let's not rush the next 50 years!

Sidewinder
Historian

« Reply #208 on: Sep 2nd, 2008, 11:52pm »

on Sep 2nd, 2008, 8:57pm, missthealcos wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Another point, in the "now" pic...129 was already 8 years old when you took the "then" pic, and 124 was brand new!

Interesting detective work! Never gave it a thought that the SRY units are of that vintage.

I'm stuck in the Baldwin era.... still miss 'em!  

CLC Fan

View Profile  

« Reply #209 on: Sep 3rd, 2008, 5:16pm »

This is slightly off-topic, but some might find it an interesting and eye-opening read.  I never realized that it was becoming extremely difficult to find parts for the EMD 567 engine.  I think it's ironic that you can still buy parts for the FM 38D engine (hehe! had to plug my fave engine plant there!  ).

http://www.rypn.org/RyPN/articles/viewarticles.asp?filename=060228215551.txt

.missthealcos
TRAINing

« Reply #210 on: Sep 6th, 2008, 11:35pm »

Very interesting read...I was told over 10 years ago now, by the "head" mechanic(as in the guy who really knew what he was doing in the group) of a collection, that trying to operate and maintain a 567B was becoming a big headache, which would only get worse...he said the same thing at the time as well...find an engine that had already been upgraded to BC, or simply install a 567C, rather than fight with the expense of the 567B engine.

Sidewinder
Historian
  Woss.jpg - 42837 Bytes
« Reply #211 on: Sep 14th, 2008, 2:36am »

Here is a video to watch that gives a brief glimpse of what it was like when steam returned to the Nimpkish Valley during the summer of 1988.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZvQon1H_XAw

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/Woss.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #212 on: Sep 14th, 2008, 9:37pm »

on Sep 2nd, 2008, 8:12pm, CLC Fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Wow, and when you took that b&w pic of the Baldwins my grandfather was working out of that terminal mostly towards Port Alberni.

From what I heard, the yard is to stay as it is and the harbour surrounding the yard is to be developed.

Sidewinder
Historian

« Reply #213 on: Sep 16th, 2008, 11:47pm »

on Sep 14th, 2008, 9:37pm, Coastrail wrote:       (Click here for original message)

From what I heard, the yard is to stay as it is and the harbour surrounding the yard is to be developed.

Saw an article in a Nanaimo paper months ago reporting on a multi-tower development destined to go at the location of the transfer wharf.  It featured a photo of a someone involved with the barge slip and associated tracks in the background.  Is the barge slip referred to as the transfer wharf?  Not sure how the yard will work without the barge slip!

« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2008, 12:14am by Sidewinder » Logged
Sidewinder
Historian
  PAsub.jpg - 208220 Bytes
« Reply #214 on: Oct 1st, 2008, 1:57am »

on Jun 4th, 2008, 2:10am, Sidewinder wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Those loaded cars, by the way, are sitting on Cameron Lake siding.  The rest of the train was scattered along the track towards the lake where there was major derailment.  The Port sub didn't stand up to the punishment of those heavy cars.

This photo has been on my desk top waiting for someone the comment on the derailment.  No use waiting any longer.....

"Hey, Sidewinder, you mentioned a major derailment.  Don't suppose you managed to get close to it?"

"Well, Sidewinder, just so happens we did!  CP Rail had to dispatch the heavy artillery to deal with the mess along the shore of Cameron Lake."

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/PAsub.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Oct 1st, 2008, 1:58am by Sidewinder » Logged
tfctrains
Historian

« Reply #215 on: Oct 1st, 2008, 12:56pm »

Good job I was there with you, so I could carry the camera! Another great day!

ENR3005
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #216 on: Oct 1st, 2008, 11:49pm »

I for one would love to see more photos of the derailment and the log trains that ran in 1986. I have been drooling for years over the prospect of getting a look at the late Mr. Wilkies massive E&N archive that included photos of the log hauling operations in 1986. However I imagine my odds of seeing his archive are about the same as finding the Holy Grail or the Vancouver Canucks winning the Stanley Cup. Thanks again for the photos and the insight into an era that most of us wish we had taken the time to photograph and document. Some of us were also a bit young to be chasing trains at that time. I for one I are still mad for Santa Claus not bringing me that Camera for Christmas in 1985 and instead giving it to my brother and sticking me with the usual G.I Joe collectable. Keep the pics and stories rolling.

Chris  

on Oct 1st, 2008, 1:57am, Sidewinder wrote:       (Click here for original message)

This photo has been on my desk top waiting for someone the comment on the derailment.  No use waiting any longer.....

"Hey, Sidewinder, you mentioned a major derailment.  Don't suppose you managed to get close to it?"

"Well, Sidewinder, just so happens we did!  CP Rail had to dispatch the heavy artillery to deal with the mess along the shore of Cameron Lake."

« Last Edit: Oct 1st, 2008, 11:52pm by ENR3005 » Logged
Sidewinder
Historian

« Reply #217 on: Oct 2nd, 2008, 12:44am »

on Oct 1st, 2008, 12:56pm, tfctrains wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Good job I was there with you, so I could carry the camera! Another great day!

Harrr.... yep, those 35 mm cameras were heavy in those days.

There is no doubt about it, though, it was your personable powers of persuasion that gave us the opportunity to photograph the derailment.  That superintendent was ready to give us the bum's rush!

You must see if you can find your photos taken that day.  ENR3005 would like to see some more.

« Last Edit: Oct 2nd, 2008, 12:48am by Sidewinder » Logged
Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #218 on: Oct 2nd, 2008, 1:06am »

on Sep 16th, 2008, 11:47pm, Sidewinder wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Saw an article in a Nanaimo paper months ago reporting on a multi-tower development destined to go at the location of the transfer wharf.  It featured a photo of a someone involved with the barge slip and associated tracks in the background.  Is the barge slip referred to as the transfer wharf?  Not sure how the yard will work without the barge slip!

the transfer wharf is not the barge slip, its actually the wharf near the old mill site.

Sidewinder
Historian

« Reply #219 on: Oct 2nd, 2008, 1:10am »

on Oct 1st, 2008, 11:49pm, ENR3005 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I for one would love to see more photos of the derailment and the log trains that ran in 1986. I have been drooling for years over the prospect of getting a look at the late Mr. Wilkies massive E&N archive that included photos of the log hauling operations in 1986. However I imagine my odds of seeing his archive are about the same as finding the Holy Grail or the Vancouver Canucks winning the Stanley Cup. Thanks again for the photos and the insight into an era that most of us wish we had taken the time to photograph and document. Some of us were also a bit young to be chasing trains at that time. I for one I are still mad for Santa Claus not bringing me that Camera for Christmas in 1985 and instead giving it to my brother and sticking me with the usual G.I Joe collectable. Keep the pics and stories rolling.
Chris  

There are other photos taken that day and I chose the one that seemed to tell the story better than the rest.  I could post more but we seem to be off topic thanks to me talking about the derailment.

Tfctrains was there, too.  Perhaps your comments will prompt him to find his pictures.  (Ya out there, ol' buddy?)

We were fortunate to get close to the site of the derailment.  The superintendent was not happy to see fans show up and was quick to say so in so many words. Tfctrains, though, has an uncanny way with people and we were permitted down the tracks as long as we stayed well out of the way.  And, we had to promise that no photos would show up for public viewing. That promise keeps echoing in my mind, but after all it has been twenty years!

Is the Dave Wilkie collection not available for viewing at the WCRA's archives at Squamish?  

« Last Edit: Oct 2nd, 2008, 1:13am by Sidewinder » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18  19 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »