Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 23rd, 2017, 4:24pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Locomotives of Vancouver Island
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  ...  19 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Locomotives of Vancouver Island  (Read 20241 times)
Pyronova

View Profile  

Re: Locomotives of Vancouver Island
  CP_8433_chopnose.jpg - 151378 Bytes
« Reply #20 on: Apr 8th, 2007, 11:18pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Apr 8th, 2007, 9:27pm, timberland#7 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
8427 worked on the island for crown forest industries and never for cpr thats why its orange . CPR chopped the nose for better visbility when it became a yard switcher . Crown Forest  graciously donated it to the Ladysmith Society and not  CPR . When the Town of Ladysmith pulled the plug on the Ladysmith railway museum they  donated it to Alberni. My opinion is that it should remain orange and have Crown forest  on the side  because of there generosity and the history it has to the Island

I remember in 1980 ish when it arrived on the island.  My dad took me to Wellcox and it was there in a line of freight fresh off the barge.  I remember thinking it was a hideous looking thing (I only knew the GP-9s and the high-nose RS3 of Crown Zellerbach's) with the chopped nose; even the Pac-Man was wrong!! (The loco is normally run long hood forward; thus the CP multi-mark was at the rear or short hood or the engine.)  Cheep Pee just chopped Pac-Man in half and dropped the short hood, and added the 2 extra windows.
I then remember seeing it in Ladysmith (1981 ish) in the B R I G H T orange scheme with Crown Zellerbach on the side.  I remember thinking it looked way better than it did in CPRail paint.  As timberland#7 has said; I also agree it should stay in the Crown Zellerbach/Forest scheme.  
I also believe that the chop-nose should also stay.  Why take away visibility on a seldom used tourist engine for cosmetic reasons?  If it was chop-nosed in 1977 then it has been chopped nosed longer than it was high-nosed!
Oh well, its not my engine.......

Here is a pic of how it would have looked chopped-nosed in Cheepee Rail Multi-Mark....

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/CP_8433_chopnose.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Apr 8th, 2007, 11:24pm by Pyronova » Logged

Moderator of: Mainline - Rail Safety; Regional Areas - British Columbia & Vancouver Island; Fallen Flags - The Milwaukee Road; & Model Railroading - N-Scale .

Pyronova

View Profile  

CP8435_chopped-nose.jpg - 143744 Bytes
« Reply #21 on: Apr 8th, 2007, 11:27pm »

Here is a pic of how it would have looked chopped-nosed in Cheepee Rail Multi-Mark...

Man, this brings back nightmares!

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/CP8435_chopped-nose.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Moderator of: Mainline - Rail Safety; Regional Areas - British Columbia & Vancouver Island; Fallen Flags - The Milwaukee Road; & Model Railroading - N-Scale .

BCR 706
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #22 on: Apr 9th, 2007, 12:39am »

Great pictures. So did the engine run for CPR? And if it did, culd some please tell me the years it ran for the CPR?

Balto

pa_sub1
Railfan

« Reply #23 on: Apr 9th, 2007, 1:47am »

CPR 8427 in it's original colors.  This is the way we would like to restore the locomotive to look.  Takes time and money, neither of which we have at the moment.

http://www.trainweb.org/galt-stn/cproster/locomotive/8400s/cp8427.htm

timberland#7
Railfan

« Reply #24 on: Apr 10th, 2007, 12:27am »

In turners book logging by rail page 275 is a picture of 8427 this is what I think it should look like. 8427 is the last example of the comox,crown z/forest diesel locomotives the other two unfortunatly scrapped.The group in Alberni  are a island industrial society so they  should be restoring a ISLAND LOGGING LOCOMOTIVE not a CPR locomotive that hardly spent time in BC and none on the Island. That is one reason why Ladysmith donated it to alberni so it would be looked after with respect to its heritage to VANCOUVER ISLAND other wise it might as well gone to Squamish.

Pyronova

View Profile  

« Reply #25 on: Apr 10th, 2007, 11:34am »

on Apr 10th, 2007, 12:27am, timberland#7 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
In turners book logging by rail page 275 is a picture of 8427 this is what I think it should look like. 8427 is the last example of the comox,crown z/forest diesel locomotives the other two unfortunatly scrapped.The group in Alberni  are a island industrial society so they  should be restoring a ISLAND LOGGING LOCOMOTIVE not a CPR locomotive that hardly spent time in BC and none on the Island. That is one reason why Ladysmith donated it to alberni so it would be looked after with respect to its heritage to VANCOUVER ISLAND other wise it might as well gone to Squamish.

I am 100% in agreement.

Jason King
Historian

« Reply #26 on: Apr 10th, 2007, 1:01pm »

on Apr 10th, 2007, 11:34am, Pyronova wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I am 100% in agreement.

Absolutely. While having the locomotive in "classic" CPR colours wouldn't be horrible, I agree with you that it should reflect it's Island colours.
Cheers.

J\

BCR 706
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #27 on: Apr 11th, 2007, 12:23am »

I've checked all the photos in the Vancouver Island Forum (their are A LOT of pictures here which is great) but I couldn't find any pictures of the Catalyst Paper's 2 ex-Southern Pacific SW1500's at the Crofton Pulp Mill and ex-CN SW900 at the Elk Falls Pulp Mill in Campbell River. Does anyone have a picture of these engines? Thank you.

CP8673
Historian
View Profile  

Image5.jpg - 101369 Bytes
« Reply #28 on: Apr 17th, 2007, 10:54pm »

8427 in its natural environment.  Looks MUCH better than it's original owner

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/Image5.jpg
Click Image to Resize

CP8673
Historian
View Profile  

scan0001-2.jpg - 117757 Bytes
« Reply #29 on: Apr 17th, 2007, 10:55pm »

and another shot

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/scan0001-2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

BCR 706
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #30 on: Apr 18th, 2007, 4:08pm »

Good pictures. I'm still with the old CP livery but that's just me.  

Piglet
Historian

« Reply #31 on: Apr 18th, 2007, 9:56pm »

I have seen it both ways and I think if its to "live" on the island then I think it should reflect its island heritage.  I remember seeing it in service a few times and its not a bad scheme really.

we learn from the past
BCR 706
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #32 on: Apr 18th, 2007, 10:32pm »

Very good point Piglet. It should reflect it's Island heritage. But since the CPR has such a big history on the island, maybe until another CPR engine comes back to the island for preservation, maybe this one could wear it's CPR colours to reflect on the CPR on the island. But, just a personal idea. On the point of CPR engines, what ever did happen to CPR 8000? And is the island still wanting CN 1070 (now SRY of BC 1204)?

BCR 706
Historian
View Profile  

HPIM1387_Taken_on_April_11_2007_772x575.jpg - 69044 Bytes
« Reply #33 on: Apr 19th, 2007, 2:21am »

Here is 1070 now SRY of BC 1204. In it's new livery for the SRY. On April 11, 2007.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/HPIM1387_Taken_on_April_11_2007_772x575.jpg
Click Image to Resize

BCR 706
Historian
View Profile  

HPIM1389_Taken_on_April_11_2007_772x575.jpg - 85860 Bytes
« Reply #34 on: Apr 19th, 2007, 2:22am »

1070 now SRY 1204 again.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/HPIM1389_Taken_on_April_11_2007_772x575.jpg
Click Image to Resize

FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #35 on: Apr 19th, 2007, 9:30pm »

Nice pictures of the former CN 1070, now SRY 1204, Balto. I keep meaning to get over there to get pix myself - hopefully soon. Until then, I'll enjoy the ones you've posted. Thank you.

boxcar
Historian

« Reply #36 on: Apr 19th, 2007, 9:49pm »

the 8000 is rusting away at ogden.

Ttm Alyth yard
FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #37 on: Apr 19th, 2007, 9:55pm »

This seems like as good a place as any to post this: WCRA has announced that CP has awarded Baldwin #8000 to them. I'm not terribly surprised but I am disappointed. I still feel this locomotive belongs on Vancouver Island. Oh well, another piece of VI's railway history goes elsewhere.

BCR 706
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #38 on: Apr 19th, 2007, 10:14pm »

Well even though CPR 8000 has gone to Squamish, that means it has been saved. So their is still hope that maybe with some help, the WCRA will agree to send it to the island. When it does come here, I'll have to go up and get pictures of it. I live in Coquitlam. Does anyone know if any of the other 4 GMD-1's now owned by SRY of BC have any island history?

Piglet
Historian

« Reply #39 on: Apr 19th, 2007, 10:43pm »

Im afraid CP is thinking as clearly as CN these days.  If they don't want to look after their history they should maybe let those who really do want too.  Its a shame its not going home but at least its going to be closer.  Maybe if we are nice it can come for a long term visit.

we learn from the past
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  ...  19 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »