Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 23rd, 2017, 5:44pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Rumours & Speculation & Rants
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   Rumours & Speculation & Rants
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Rumours & Speculation & Rants  (Read 21281 times)
bigcreekcowboy
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Rumours & Speculation & Rants

« Reply #840 on: Jan 5th, 2012, 2:56pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

OK my turn for a rant. This rant is aimed directly at several members of this forum. I live in the Interior and I am on the outside looking in but I still have a fascination with the railways of Vancouver Island. I also have a few opinions.  

The E&N is in great peril and the biggest threat now is that, from what I can see, there are three factions fighting for power. So much energy gets wasted on all this infighting. The next biggest threat are the dreamers. I have dreams too. But it is going to take a thousand small steps to get there, not one giant leap. The first priority must be making the track passable, not a complete rebuild. Just fix up the track enough to get the Budds back. Then start finding customers. If the freight can not be found the railway will not survive. If industry can not be found along the tracks, land must be saved from development for rail/truck facilities. As each new customer is found there will be a little more income that can be invested in rebuilding. Heavy rail and commuter trains are a dream. The population and the need is questionable. How can we expect politicians to take rail seriously when we have cries for millions and millions of dollars in a time of fiscal cutting by all levels of government? It is easier to ask for money when there are solid examples of success that however small can be shown. An avalanche often starts with a single snowball

One more request. Please keep discussions on topic. Now the infighting has spilled on to another topic for videos and pictures. It is frustrating to try and do research and have to sift through infighting of various members. I am now going to sit back and await the blasting from various individuals on this forum. However, I can feel better now that I've said my word and hopefully a few will agree.

thehighwayman
Historian

« Reply #841 on: Jan 5th, 2012, 3:07pm »

on Jan 5th, 2012, 2:56pm, bigcreekcowboy wrote:       (Click here for original message)
OK my turn for a rant. This rant is aimed directly at several members of this forum. I live in the Interior and I am on the outside looking in but I still have a fascination with the railways of Vancouver Island. I also have a few opinions.  

The E&N is in great peril and the biggest threat now is that, from what I can see, there are three factions fighting for power. So much energy gets wasted on all this infighting. The next biggest threat are the dreamers. I have dreams too. But it is going to take a thousand small steps to get there, not one giant leap. The first priority must be making the track passable, not a complete rebuild. Just fix up the track enough to get the Budds back. Then start finding customers. If the freight can not be found the railway will not survive. If industry can not be found along the tracks, land must be saved from development for rail/truck facilities. As each new customer is found there will be a little more income that can be invested in rebuilding. Heavy rail and commuter trains are a dream. The population and the need is questionable. How can we expect politicians to take rail seriously when we have cries for millions and millions of dollars in a time of fiscal cutting by all levels of government? It is easier to ask for money when there are solid examples of success that however small can be shown. An avalanche often starts with a single snowball

One more request. Please keep discussions on topic. Now the infighting has spilled on to another topic for videos and pictures. It is frustrating to try and do research and have to sift through infighting of various members. I am now going to sit back and await the blasting from various individuals on this forum. However, I can feel better now that I've said my word and hopefully a few will agree.

Well said!!!
I live in Ontario these days, but the E&N is still near and dear to my heart, having grown up around Hayward Junction and Duncan.
Your comments are right on the mark!

Will

B_Winkler
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #842 on: Jan 6th, 2012, 10:39am »

I live in Nanaimo, love the E&N, have posted many pics here.

I dont visit this forum very often any more because of the same sniping and infighting.  Life is too short to try and follow it.  

Bob Winkler
Nanaimo, BC

wiggle_wagon

View Profile  

« Reply #843 on: Jan 8th, 2012, 2:34pm »

Bravo Big Creek Cowboy! What you wrote echoes my sentiments well.  

As I see it though, no one in political or financial circles wants to spend the  money needed to keep the E&N alive as a railway. Decades of deferred maintenance have reduced the line to a pitiable state and the money to fix it is now a political 'hot potato'.  

I can't help but wonder what damage was done by the ICF wanting $103.8 million initially for things like continuous welded rail "throughout" the line when they could apparently get by with $15 million. Can't be good for credibility.    

Why can't they just spend the minimum amount necessary to bring the line back to an acceptable standard? Whats called "Relay rail (and ties, suitable to be relaid where necessary)" are a cheap alternative to SRY's preferred yellow cedar ties and new rail. Lets get on with saving the railway before the opportunity passes.  
There will always be skeptics, (some are even on this board) and we all have different opinions on which direction the ICF and SRY should go in future. But the time to work together to save the line is now.

The artist formerly known as FSD8014!
grobrailman
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #844 on: Jan 9th, 2012, 4:37pm »

Well said, thanks....."time to work together".

chrisale
Historian

« Reply #845 on: Jan 9th, 2012, 6:23pm »

On a positive note, I was across from the Nanaimo station today and it is looking really fantastic. The outside patio area even has ports for the Dayliners to let off its passengers.   It will be truly first class.

I wasn't there long enough to get a pic sorry... But it's a great example of staying positive and getting things done.

On another note.   There is heavy fish traffic these days from the plant in Ucluelet and off the ships in Port Alberni.  Didn't someone say once that RA shipped fished out of Alberni?

« Last Edit: Jan 9th, 2012, 7:08pm by chrisale » Logged

:+) :+? :/
------
http://www.murkyview.com
http://www.alberniweather.ca
don432001
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #846 on: Jan 17th, 2012, 7:05pm »

It's always interesting when other regions receive funds for railways improvements and the E&N continues along as usual.

Port of Saguenay
17 January 2012
Saguenay, Quebec

The Government is committed to supporting initiatives that improve trade while fostering economic growth and employment. To this end, the federal government announced that it would provide up to $15 million over two years to support the construction of a rail link and intermodal rail yard at the Port of Saguenay in Saguenay, Quebec. The project is expected to be completed by March 31, 2014.  
The project will help improve the performance, capacity and competitiveness of maritime facilities, in addition to facilitating interprovincial and international trade and improving the competitiveness of Quebec and Canada. It will also foster investment, economic growth and job creation, and increase the competitiveness of Northern Quebec businesses by providing them with transport options that reduce their environmental impact. According to the Port of Saguenay authorities, the improvements are anticipated to generate 125 jobs.

The improvements to the Port’s infrastructure – funded in part through Transport Canada’s Gateways and Border Crossings Fund – will help advance the flow of goods.  The Fund supports transport infrastructure projects in order to develop and exploit Canada’s strategic gateways, trade corridors and border crossings.

These improvements also support Canada’s Continental Gateway initiative, which aims to create a transport system that is viable, integrated and globally competitive in terms of international trade in order to support economic growth in Quebec, Ontario, and throughout Canada.

The project, which is estimated to cost $36 million, consists of the construction of a 12.5-kilometre rail link from the Roberval & Saguenay Railway line to the Port of Saguenay. The project will also include the construction of an intermodal rail yard at the port, including storage and handling areas, as well as railway tracks needed for transit operations.

SRY 110
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #847 on: Jan 18th, 2012, 11:23am »

Why cant this be the E+N...

The Adirondack Railway Preservation Society was started by a group of devoted preservationists who, in 1992, banded together and proposed to fix and operate a short section of the former New York Central line from Thendara south to Minnehaha. New York State approved the four mile demonstration and on July 4, 1992, the Adirondack Centennial Railroad ran its first train. With a positive response from the public, New York State allowed the railroad to operate again in 1993. In July of 1994 the Adirondack Centennial Railroad became the Adirondack Scenic Railroad, and New York State has extended the permission to run each year since.

With the support of individuals, corporate and foundation sponsorships, and large measures of support from government leaders, we have returned nearly 70 miles of track to passenger service, acquired and refurbished enough equipment to provide comfortable, safe, regular seasonal service between Memorial Weekend and Thanksgiving, and carried 600,000 tourists and outdoor enthusiasts to experience some of the most pristine mountain terrain in remote areas of the Adirondacks. All with minimal impact on the environment.

Our operation has spurred the restoration or reconstruction of historic stations in Holland Patent and Remsen, New York, and the people of Tupper Lake are now rebuilding their railroad station.

The Preservation Society that operates the railroad is a 501(c)(3) not-for-profit corporation chartered by the New York State Department of Education. The Railroad is staffed by 150 volunteers and only a few full, and part-time employees.

WHERE WE WILL GO - Our goal now is ...  
• To initiate development of rail and coordinated trail based education and historical projects
• To complete the restoration of the remaining track between Saranac Lake and Carter Station, north of Old Forge
• To restore service between the end points of Lake Placid and Utica.

The recognition we have achieved in national and regional magazines for our preservation and reconstruction efforts will allow us to begin the next step. However, if the Society is to continue to preserve and develop the historic and educational potential of the Utica to Lake Placid rail line, your financial support is also critical. Please consider one of the following levels of involvement.

http://www.adirondackrr.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4yto4lC6VE&feature=g-all-u&context=G2a8fa97FAAAAAAAANAA

Have a dedicated hand full of paid staff 4 or 5 with prevous RR experance and people managment skills...and a dedicated force of volunteers up and down the island...and all the staff from the manger to the train crew be able to do everything...change ties...minor repairs....track work...and everyone works together to run, maintain and preserve the E+N....seems simple..(most of which (people) are here now) focus on what needs to be done first....get it up and running...then run basic frieght on days that need it to be run, other days work on track maint and then work on a psg train....

Just my 2 bits if this whole ICF/SRY thing flops...I hope it doesnt but we have to have a plan B right?

More focus on the positive...less on the negative..
CPR_9199
Banned User
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #848 on: Jan 18th, 2012, 1:28pm »

We have to do what Harmac and CHECK tv did.

The icf cannot be trusted to do anything since they think they have the right to be a "secret society".

SRVI is saying nothing about making a contribution towards improving the line themselves and in the time they have been here have put no effort into gaining new customers.

The icf should be disbanded and a new group which is open to allow PUBLIC meetings and is ACCOUNTABLE to taxpayers should be formed to run things.

Mary Ashley works for a bank and she is one the main proponents of sneaking around behind our backs and keeping everything secret so she is the first one that should be gotten rid of.

chrisale
Historian

« Reply #849 on: Jan 19th, 2012, 12:21am »

I disagree.

ICF as a model is the right one, it need not be changed.

The proceedings and organization were not always so closed... that came about afterwards.

Be constructive.  Keep trying to engage, and be part of the process and open it up.  It will happen.

:+) :+? :/
------
http://www.murkyview.com
http://www.alberniweather.ca
Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #850 on: Jan 19th, 2012, 1:02am »

on Jan 5th, 2012, 2:56pm, bigcreekcowboy wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I agree on some points, but, as a dreamer, I am no threat to this railway. As for commuter rail, its not a pipe dream but a reality that should not be ignored. No one is suggesting spending hundreds of millions of dollars on the line. But the problem is, its going to take millions to fix the line. The population and need is not questionable but something to build on. If over 6,000 people take the Cowichan Commuter Bus service into Victoria every month, then there is a need. That doesnt even include the hundreds more each day that commute into the CRD. That is a market that could be tapped into.

The FEDs and provincial government have never taken anyone seriously on this island regardless of the project in question. As for fiscal responsibility, tell that to the FEDs who spent hundreds of millions on more airforce jets.

« Last Edit: Jan 19th, 2012, 1:18am by Aaron Lypkie » Logged
95XXX
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #851 on: Feb 1st, 2012, 11:57am »

E&N on the cusp of transformative success

It has taken many years and studies, but railway edging closer to rebirth

By Graham Bruce, Times Colonist February 1, 2012  

When native and municipal leaders came together to protect and acquire the E&N Railway corridor, they understood the complexity of the task at hand.

In forming the Island Corridor Foundation, they created a structure that could accept the land transfer from the Canadian Pacific Railway and work to achieve eight objectives - one of which is to encourage modern-day passenger and freight rail services on Vancouver Island.

To do that, the foundation realized the need for a capable short-line rail operator, so it engaged Southern Railway of British Columbia, one of the best short-line operators in North America.

A subsidiary of SRY, Southern Rail of Vancouver Island, has worked with the foundation to develop an overall long-term infrastructure plan that forecast a $100-million cost for upgrades to the line.

Discussions with the provincial and federal governments led to the Ministry of Transportation commissioning a study to review the proposed upgrades and the potential for passenger and freight growth.

The report concluded there was potential - but that the foundation should take an incremental approach to infrastructure investment while improving rail service and building demand.

With the professional services of Southern Rail, the foundation developed a $15-million infrastructure plan, and called for an improved Via Rail passenger schedule as the first phase of improving rail service and building demand. The plan was released in October 2010 and submitted to the federal and provincial governments.

This common-sense business approach helped secure a $7.5-million commitment from the provincial government, and convinced it to release $500,000 to complete the bridge and trestle engineering audit.

The bridge audit will be complete by mid-February. A manageable result should inspire a contribution from the federal government.

Millions of federal dollars have been spent on rail in other parts of Canada, while little has gone into the Island railway, even though one of the greatest land giveaways in history was used to entice us colonials into Confederation by having a railway built.

The plan for passenger service improvements, released in October 2010, called for the train to be turned around, with an early-morning southbound train.

Ridership on the Malahat Via train had experienced a 10 per cent growth over the last three years of operation, despite the general opinion that it was operating in the wrong direction.

Via Rail is considering the new schedule and the additional gross operating cost of about $500,000.

Increased passenger revenues are expected to cover the additional operational cost.

This initial rail improvement plan isn't complicated, nor is it expensive in the costly world of transportation systems.

Who knows? With a little success, taxpayers of the Capital Regional District may find that this little railway could provide the opportunity for a cost-effective transportation alternative in the near future.

So here we are, after visionary leadership to protect this corridor and volumes of studies, in sight of doing something historic - and now in good old Island tradition we will start throwing stones at each other.

For several years, the foundation's directors have worked hard to meet varied objectives and evolve into an efficiently run organization while managing competing demands and interests.

This kind of focus will ensure a future for rail on Vancouver Island.

Graham Bruce, the chief operating officer of the Island Corridor Foundation, has served as minister of municipal affairs and minister of labour.

More information about the Island Corridor Foundation is at www.islandrail.ca.

© Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist

Read more: http://www.timescolonist.com/technology/cusp+transformative+success/6083679/story.html#ixzz1l9M8KDK5

CPR_9199
Banned User
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #852 on: Feb 1st, 2012, 1:23pm »

VISIONARY LEADERSHIP?

WHAT AN IDIOT!

VIRX_7059
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #853 on: Feb 1st, 2012, 3:39pm »

Yes, indeed but a very slippery and deceptive idiot. The present state( no passenger service), and poor condition of the railway speaks volumes to the type of leadership, representation, and management the railway has suffered, as opposed to this recent slick cover up and distraction from reality.  

E+N Express
cycledude
Railfan

« Reply #854 on: Feb 2nd, 2012, 12:57pm »

Hi Piglet,
Thanks for the reminder about Wilkie's Tidewater SUB photos.
The RoW is still there for anyone wanting to walk it: Tidewater Railtrail
Bill
P.S. Cycling the Tidewater SUB

« Last Edit: Feb 2nd, 2012, 1:13pm by cycledude » Logged

SRY 110
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #855 on: Feb 2nd, 2012, 3:49pm »

Bring it on! Sounds like good news to me!

More focus on the positive...less on the negative..
railpuck
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #856 on: Feb 21st, 2012, 2:46pm »

I have noticed that the Jingle Pot Road Railway crossing in Nanaimo has been out of service for several months,after a car hit and damaged the signals, how long does it take to get a claim paid to fix the crossing from ICBC

« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2012, 2:47pm by railpuck » Logged
SRY Train Guy

View Profile  

« Reply #857 on: Feb 24th, 2012, 3:19am »

Uh Oh... this doesn't sound good...

http://www.goldstreamgazette.com/news/140156463.html

Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #858 on: Mar 19th, 2012, 10:35pm »

Here is something constructive.

It looks like we wont see LRT for at least 6 years. So perhaps we can all start writing letters to councils in Langford, Colwood, View Royal, Esquimalt, Victoria  and the media about supporting commuter rail on the E&N. There is a rising support for this service in the westshore, now that the blue ferry service will be terminated next month, plus with the long wait for LRT.

Also continue to write letters about shipping coal by rail to Port Alberni.

cobblehillian
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #859 on: Jan 7th, 2013, 1:43pm »

It is worth noting that ICF has not posted anything on their website concerning the present problems on the railway they own on our behalf.

I think this is inexcusable and exposes a major flaw in the present organizational/management design.  I realize they are focused on problem solving but that is not an excuse for not communicating an acknowledgement there is a problem.  Well managed public organizations realize the value of keeping their various constituencies informed and up to speed.  That is how they generate public support and sympathy.

The larger question is how do you motivate the ICF to reflect on their own weaknesses and re-design themselves with a more consultative and public organization.  They must also have in-house knowledge on railway maintenance and operations.  Using SRY, their contracted service provider, to serve this function is not sound and raises conflict of interest questions.  As well, a way must be found for the ICF, as the corridor owner, to deal with First Nations land questions away from railway administrative and operational matters.

It has recently dawned on me that long ago the ICF, internally, developed their vision for the railway. Yet, we still don't know what that vision is.  In that process, as far as I know, no public or governmental organizations were openly consulted.  (The three public meetings Duncan, Nanaimo, and Port Alberni do not qualify as consultations) Their strategy should not be a secret; if it is it demonstrates a massive inability to build a supportive constituency.

A quick survey of public rail operating authorities across North America reveals that they consult and communicate.  Sometimes they find that uncomfortable but nevertheless have to, to maintain taxpayer and user support.  You may see this for yourself by spending a hour or two on the internet.  Perhaps, we should be educating ourselves on what some of the organizational alternatives look like.

In the BC context there are some questions that will inevitably rise, such as the role of BC Transit, approaches to public funding, regional transit planning, etc.  These questions should not be deal breakers when it comes to getting a reset for the ICF or a similar organization.  They must be put aside, at least, until the ICF has a realization that it can't get the job done.

« Last Edit: Jan 7th, 2013, 1:47pm by cobblehillian » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »