Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Aug 16th, 2017, 11:57pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Rumours & Speculation & Rants
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   Rumours & Speculation & Rants
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  ...  48 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Rumours & Speculation & Rants  (Read 21621 times)
CPRail4744
Historian
Re: Rumours & Speculation

« Reply #80 on: Jul 12th, 2005, 3:19am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

"Sidebar to this is CPR now has running rights/track agreement with CN from Edmonton to Kamloops"  (quoting Pyronova)

Thanks, Pyronova for unintentionally answering a question that I have had recently as to why there are so many CP tains heading up the North Thompson from Kamloops these days.   What are  your knowledge sources?  Thanks in advance.

Matt Arnott, Kamloops, B.C.

"I would prefer to see it shipped by train..."
Pyronova

View Profile  

« Reply #81 on: Jul 12th, 2005, 4:34am »

on Jul 12th, 2005, 3:19am, CPRail4744 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
"Sidebar to this is CPR now has running rights/track agreement with CN from Edmonton to Kamloops"  (quoting Pyronova)

Thanks, Pyronova for unintentionally answering a question that I have had recently as to why there are so many CP tains heading up the North Thompson from Kamloops these days.   What are  your knowledge sources?  Thanks in advance.

I believe it was Trains Magazine, or Branchline within the last 2-3 months  (I remember it was only a brief notation about it..........) When I find it, I will scan and PM it to you.....

« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2005, 4:35am by Pyronova » Logged

Moderator of: Mainline - Rail Safety; Regional Areas - British Columbia & Vancouver Island; Fallen Flags - The Milwaukee Road; & Model Railroading - N-Scale .

ENR3005
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #82 on: Jul 12th, 2005, 11:09pm »

on Jul 11th, 2005, 12:03pm, Pyronova wrote:       (Click here for original message)

What if any in the way of "Home Depots" or "Wal-Marts" or any box stores are near the line?  These type of businesses are the ones that have enough sales volume to warrant use of repeated container delivery.  But mind you, usually these stores' inventories is sorted at a central distribution point, then sorted and trucked to each store.  Constant moving inventory.....  Is there a "Wal-Mart" distribution outlet near the line, where they could recieve railed containers?

Lets not forget about the Safeway, Quality Foods and Richardson Food distribution warehouses. Safeway's distribution warehouse in Victoria was a rail customer to begin with and there is a Quality Foods warehouse located between Parksville and Coombs right beside the main to the Port Alberni sub. All the companies use container service for non perishable items and there is no reason why they couldn't be customers again. Safeway received boxcars in Victoria up to some point in the 1980s and Richardson Foods in Nanaimo was a rail user up to the mid 90s.

My father worked at the head office / distibution warehouse for Save-On-Foods in Langley up to his retirement a couple of years ago. This operation was recently shut down and has moved to various other sites on Annacis Island.  In it's better days, it was a large operation that used rail and container service quite heavily. CN built a small branch / spur to service this warehouse which was almost 2km away from CN's main line. The warehouse was switched daily by the Port Mann switcher, sometimes twice a day. The Island businesses have nowhere near the same size of operation as the Save-On-Foods center did however there is traffic to be had from these smaller operations if someone would put some work into marketing them.

hillbank
Historian

« Reply #83 on: Jul 13th, 2005, 1:47am »

Getting back to Pryo's idea of a list i thought i would list spurs that i know are intact but not in use.
mile 9 Langford, this used to be a grocery warehouse then a bakery and recieved loaded boxcars almost until RA took over,  
mile 31.2 Cobble Hill (used to be a siding)
mile 50.73 Chemainus (used to be a siding)
mile 71.1 Nanaimo, Richardson food recieved weekly shipments until the late 90,s  
mile 75.75 North Nanaimo, YES YES I KNOW thats Superior propane but there are two warehouses there that both recieved boxcar shipments until the mid 90's  
mile 76.3 North Nanaimo Madills  
mile 92.2 industrial spur (no switch in place)
mile 126.1 Buckley Bay
mile 137.5 pole yard ( was told switch is gone but track intact)
there was also a spur north of Qualicum near a cement plant but i do not know its current status.
also there are sidings at Esquimalt, Langford, Malahat, Koksilah, Somenos, Cassidy, Wellington, Bryn, Parksville, Dunsmuir, and Courtenay.
Please feel free to add anything else and maybe someone can add any info on the status of spurs in Victoria and the Port Sub.
As for future business for these spurs/sidings some of them like Bryn would be good as there is lots of room  and not too many people nearby and that would cut down on NIMBY syndrome, the spurs with the warehouses are potential but that would also depend on what kind of industries are/would be using them.

hillbank
Historian

« Reply #84 on: Jul 13th, 2005, 2:04am »

Here's another list, stuff that goes off island by truck/barge that has or can be shipped by rail particularly if it is a long haul.
Pulp and Paper.
Logs
Lumber.
Finished lumber products like moulding, doors, windows frames etc.
Poles.
Scrap iron and other metals.
Garbage.
Coal.
Recyclable materials.
Contaminated soil.  
Ore and Minerals.
Rock
Fish  ( RA ship a couple of reefer carloads from Port Alberni at one time!)
Heavy machinery
This is by no means a complete list and there is other freight  that is shipped in small numbers hey i even saw a navy gun from Esquimalt on a CP flat car heading to a museum in Calgary!

Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #85 on: Jul 13th, 2005, 2:43am »

See, we can have a sensable discussion without jabbing each other.  

Anyway the list so far seems pretty impressive. I am sure there are many more possible customers up and down the island. The future operator will probably do some major marketing to convince any potential customers that rail is the way to go to ship their products. The key is to be innovative.

Keep up the good work guys.

Aaron

CPRail4744
Historian

« Reply #86 on: Jul 13th, 2005, 5:10am »

Thanks, Pyro, for your reply re Trains magazine (or branchline) source.   It is probably about time for me to subscribe to "Trains"....

By the way everyone, I sure do enjoy reading through all your various thoughts and ideas, so thanks for the stimulating discussions.  Keep up the sharing of knowledge!

« Last Edit: Jul 13th, 2005, 5:15am by CPRail4744 » Logged

Matt Arnott, Kamloops, B.C.

"I would prefer to see it shipped by train..."
95XXX
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #87 on: Jul 13th, 2005, 11:18am »

Siding at Stockett.

95XXX
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #88 on: Jul 13th, 2005, 11:51am »

Siding at Stockett.

hillbank
Historian

« Reply #89 on: Jul 23rd, 2005, 1:58am »

Last time i was at Stockett the switches had been removed, however the siding could be rebuilt and there is also remains of a second one, if the E&N recovers and gets back to its "good old days" the new operators will have to build and rebuild a number of sidings for car storage... kind of a nice "catch 22"

FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #90 on: Aug 11th, 2005, 9:15pm »

From what I hear, RailAmerica will cease operations on Vancouver Island on December 31st at 11:59.59 pm. The operation will then be taken over by Washington Group- SRY of BC, effective 12:00 am January 1,2006. Currently, the major sticking points among the interested parties include: the railway belt tax (the province will likely waive, but is currently mired in red tape). CPRail would still like to see everything coming off the island go through Coquitlam. RailAmerica apparently has some property around Parksville they want to sell outright before they get off the island (property was purchased separately after the deal with CPRail- with an eye to building an industrial park). I get the impression that the E&N would be run as an extension of the SRY.

ENR
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #91 on: Aug 11th, 2005, 10:46pm »

Hopefully SRY takes over the ENR.  I believe they have a history of working with Norske, maybe be able to bring them back online as shippers.

FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #92 on: Aug 12th, 2005, 12:03am »

They handle rail traffic for Norske right now, albeit by barge. These guys really are the right choice to take on the E&N since they handle so much material by either rail or water. Plus they're in position to improve their barge capacity easily since they also own shipyards in Van & Vic. MRL currently has surplus power too. They are a good fit to an island railway.

Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #93 on: Aug 12th, 2005, 2:10am »

Hmmm, the last article that I posted here, had Jack Peake mentioning something of a draft agreement with RA. Perhaps them getting off the island on Dec 31, 2005 has something to do with that.  

Aaron

Cody
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #94 on: Aug 12th, 2005, 2:25am »

let's not jinx it!   Hope this statement is the truth:  http://www.sryraillink.com/vision.htm  

The R.O.W. in the photo even looks like a new and improved E and N.

This is the kind of smart marketing SRY does: http://www.sryraillink.com/indust_park.htm

(Links to rail access business properties with willingness to install spurs}

« Last Edit: Aug 12th, 2005, 2:36am by Cody » Logged
Jason King
Historian

« Reply #95 on: Aug 12th, 2005, 12:17pm »

>I hear that in their "haste" to get back to Nanaimo after delivering tank cars to >Langford, the engineers on that run pushed the track out of gauge by an inch and >a half in some places.

If this were true, I doubt they'd be running the RDC's until the track was repaired. I've not heard anything of this at all. Who's spreading these rumours?

J\

FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #96 on: Aug 12th, 2005, 12:59pm »

Youre right, Jason. I said I couldnt quantify it, nor will I give up my source. Theres nothing wrong with E&N's trackage or any slow orders. I will delete that post.

missthealcos
Historian

« Reply #97 on: Aug 12th, 2005, 2:01pm »

Washington should have been the ones to take it over originally, never could figure out why they didn't, its such a natural fit...I'm guessing CP's choke hold way of doing things at the time had an impact on any interest...climate seems to be better now....too bad though, things may not have slid so far..

« Last Edit: Aug 12th, 2005, 2:02pm by missthealcos » Logged
Jason King
Historian

« Reply #98 on: Aug 12th, 2005, 5:44pm »

on Aug 12th, 2005, 12:59pm, FSD8014 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
 Youre right, Jason. I said I couldnt quantify it, nor will I give up my source. Theres nothing wrong with E&N's trackage or any slow orders. I will delete that post.

That said, the track isn't in the greatest shape though I did notice the other day while mountain biking the powerline road next to the right of way that the track has been mowed alongside Langford Lake.

J\

95XXX
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #99 on: Aug 12th, 2005, 7:01pm »

I'd like to know who spread rumors like that ,who knows how fast they were going considering it took them 19 hours to get to Victoria and back to Stockett.
 Also consider that those five heavy tankers and units have been the only freight to Vic for some time now and that could bring out some weak spots in the guage.
As for blaming train crews for that ...no way!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12  ...  48 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »