Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 23rd, 2017, 5:47pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Rumours & Speculation & Rants
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   Rumours & Speculation & Rants
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47  48 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Rumours & Speculation & Rants  (Read 21283 times)
chrisale
Historian
Re: Rumours & Speculation & Rants

« Reply #780 on: Aug 24th, 2010, 11:32pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Actually you were off by 80 miles.

But you know, whatever.  Why bother with you.

:+) :+? :/
------
http://www.murkyview.com
http://www.alberniweather.ca
CroftonSpur88
Historian

« Reply #781 on: Aug 25th, 2010, 12:49am »

LOL yeah Dennis, we've known for years from when you haunted the Yahoo board with this rubbish(which, funny enough, is when the post count started to go down the toilet) that you don't think the E&N is viable. Unless, of course,  it has something to do with some steam engine relic running on it then all of a sudden all it's problems are solved...

SRY consistantly tells us that upgrades are needed to bring traffic back on line.  Not only to keep the infrastructure workable but also to display to potential shippers that the railway is here to stay. Dennis Washington didn't build an empire by making unwise business decisions. The fact that he's even involved on the Island shows that the line is saveable and has the potential to be a money making operation. But then again, what the hell does he know about running a railroad    

Then again, some people find it easier to be pessimistic and crap all over an idea. Saves them the trouble of having to think creatively, and outside the box.

But, although I've never agreed with Dennis, he has a right to his opinion, and at least it's in the appropiate thread. Dennis has ranting down to a fine science  

« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2010, 12:52am by CroftonSpur88 » Logged

"the rails are somewhere under those weeds"
ENRFAN
Historian

« Reply #782 on: Aug 25th, 2010, 12:50am »

i'am going to agree with Mr. Owner on this one. i don't believe that the whole ICF board is really interested in the rail line. I think that alot of it is for show and political reasons. If the said municipalities and other members cared then why not chip some money into the railway's maitence. What about all the money spent on the trails along the railway?? holy cow thats alot of money. Ive tried to contact the ICF and offered my volunteer time to do my part. I take my railroad hobby seriously and enjoy the research. They told me the best thing I could do was sign a pettion. We all know how well those work.  

The whole line could see more traffic with some smaller scale improvements. (mainly bridge upgrades.) the ICF staff really doesn't know much about rail movements other than what they have been told by "profesionals" with out passion where is the motivation. I can't see why the railroad can't handle more freight traffic in the past two years I have seen alot of new customers thanks to SRY being inovative with the exsisting infastructure.  

The ICF has however been pretty good with bringing the E&N into the frontgound. They also did a great job in ropeing the SRY into handleing rail operations.

thats my rant.

endivision
Historian

« Reply #783 on: Aug 26th, 2010, 2:21am »

Speaking of the bridge replacement, I heard that the old bridge which could be reused went to a scrapper,now why would they ship it to a scrapper when it could maybe be reused elsewhere on the E&N,does not make sense,I hope the ICF reclaims it for reuse.

on Aug 25th, 2010, 12:50am, ENRFAN wrote:       (Click here for original message)
i'am going to agree with Mr. Owner on this one. i don't believe that the whole ICF board is really interested in the rail line. I think that alot of it is for show and political reasons. If the said municipalities and other members cared then why not chip some money into the railway's maitence. What about all the money spent on the trails along the railway?? holy cow thats alot of money. Ive tried to contact the ICF and offered my volunteer time to do my part. I take my railroad hobby seriously and enjoy the research. They told me the best thing I could do was sign a pettion. We all know how well those work.  

The whole line could see more traffic with some smaller scale improvements. (mainly bridge upgrades.) the ICF staff really doesn't know much about rail movements other than what they have been told by "profesionals" with out passion where is the motivation. I can't see why the railroad can't handle more freight traffic in the past two years I have seen alot of new customers thanks to SRY being inovative with the exsisting infastructure.  

The ICF has however been pretty good with bringing the E&N into the frontgound. They also did a great job in ropeing the SRY into handleing rail operations.

thats my rant.

Save E&N Railway History
joncalon
Historian

« Reply #784 on: Aug 26th, 2010, 9:06am »

on Aug 26th, 2010, 2:21am, endivision wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Speaking of the bridge replacement, I heard that the old bridge which could be reused went to a scrapper,now why would they ship it to a scrapper when it could maybe be reused elsewhere on the E&N,does not make sense,I hope the ICF reclaims it for reuse.

Bridges usually end up going to the scrapper because they're always built for specific circumstances.  If they're re-used it's because those specific circumstances are located elsewhere.

In this case, the bridges on the E&N are likely all needing foundation work instead of deck replacement...

Jon

cycledude
Railfan
  800_4mile_girders.jpg - 72330 Bytes
« Reply #785 on: Aug 31st, 2010, 1:45pm »

Rumour has it these will be in place as we speak:

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/800_4mile_girders.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Dayliner
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #786 on: Aug 31st, 2010, 5:55pm »

A pity they couldn't have been shipped by rail!  

Life without trains? Inconceivable!
Speeder
Historian

« Reply #787 on: Sep 1st, 2010, 1:14am »

on Aug 31st, 2010, 1:45pm, cycledude wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Rumour has it these will be in place as we speak:

In place now (see my other post). From what I can see, those (re-enforced) concrete girders are for the cycle path bridge. The new rail bridge (now also in place) is traditional steel girder.... (or at least that's how it appears now).  

andrewjoystick
Railfan

« Reply #788 on: Sep 4th, 2010, 11:03pm »

Just heard that SRY employees voted 96% in favour of going on strike yesterday. I'm not sure if SVI employees are included in that or not but a lack of rail service at the Annacis barge slip could definitely mess things up on the Island.

« Last Edit: Sep 4th, 2010, 11:04pm by andrewjoystick » Logged
ENRFAN
Historian

« Reply #789 on: Sep 5th, 2010, 1:09am »

that sucks. damn unions.

cn2220
Historian

« Reply #790 on: Sep 5th, 2010, 1:15am »

SRY and SVI are different unions and work under different collective agreements. SRY are CUPE, SVI is teamsters(TCRC). I'm sure SRY will find scabs to run some trains though and they could always have CP run out to Tilbury.

I will say this, I want no union/company politics on this board. This is not the place.

« Last Edit: Sep 5th, 2010, 1:21am by cn2220 » Logged

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
thehighwayman
Historian

« Reply #791 on: Sep 5th, 2010, 1:44am »

on Sep 5th, 2010, 1:15am, cn2220 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I will say this, I want no union/company politics on this board. This is not the place.

Amen!

Will

Pyronova

View Profile  

« Reply #792 on: Sep 6th, 2010, 1:04am »

on Sep 5th, 2010, 1:15am, cn2220 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
... scabs....

Moderator of: Mainline - Rail Safety; Regional Areas - British Columbia & Vancouver Island; Fallen Flags - The Milwaukee Road; & Model Railroading - N-Scale .

CN7059
Historian

« Reply #793 on: Sep 6th, 2010, 3:13am »

on Sep 6th, 2010, 1:04am, Pyronova wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I see your point, but in Tyler's defence, scab is a fairly common term that can be used without derision.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/scabs

Grant Williamson, Saanich BC

cycledude
Railfan
  4mile_collage_text.jpg - 396047 Bytes
« Reply #794 on: Sep 12th, 2010, 2:56pm »

Rumour has it I won't be cycling thru Dunsmuir's Cut in this lifetime.  

Image exceeds Forum display limit of 300000 bytes. (396047 bytes, 1600x1200 pixels)

Click Here to View Image 4mile_collage_text.jpg - 396047 Bytes

Speeder
Historian

« Reply #795 on: Sep 12th, 2010, 8:49pm »

on Sep 12th, 2010, 2:56pm, cycledude wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Rumour has it I won't be cycling thru Dunsmuir's Cut in this lifetime.  

Where exactly is "Dunsmuir's Cut"? Is it on the curve just past the 4 Mile bridge (heading towards Helmcken)?

cycledude
Railfan
  800_dunsmuir_cut.jpg - 76626 Bytes
« Reply #796 on: Sep 14th, 2010, 11:54am »

Affirmative. M4.1 to be exact.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/800_dunsmuir_cut.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Sep 14th, 2010, 12:08pm by cycledude » Logged

CPRail4744
Historian

« Reply #797 on: Sep 14th, 2010, 11:42pm »

Nice "Then and Now" pair of pics!

Matt Arnott, Kamloops, B.C.

"I would prefer to see it shipped by train..."
vanislrailway
Railfan

« Reply #798 on: Oct 1st, 2010, 7:35pm »

Just was reading on the CBC news Gordo said Langly a sky train route and Victoria gets rapid buss transit.   http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2010/10/01/bc-campbell-ubcm.html [url][/url]

I am interested in learning and preserving the history of the railway on Vancouver Island. With a lot of the History taken away we must work hard to insure our kids have the ability to watch and ride the rails we have left and enjoy seeing so much.
chrisale
Historian

« Reply #799 on: Oct 1st, 2010, 11:55pm »

on Oct 1st, 2010, 7:35pm, vanislrailway wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Just was reading on the CBC news Gordo said Langly a sky train route and Victoria gets rapid buss transit.   http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2010/10/01/bc-campbell-ubcm.html [url][/url]

Yet they could probably do both with heavy and/or light rail for 1/3 the cost.  But no.... gotta pander to the entrenched interests.

:+) :+? :/
------
http://www.murkyview.com
http://www.alberniweather.ca
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47  48 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »