Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 24th, 2017, 11:45am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Rumours & Speculation & Rants
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   Rumours & Speculation & Rants
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46  ...  48 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Rumours & Speculation & Rants  (Read 21758 times)
missthealcos
Historian
Re: Rumours & Speculation & Rants

« Reply #760 on: Jan 29th, 2010, 3:31pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Jan 28th, 2010, 4:58pm, cn8863 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I have a sinking feeling the roundhouse will end up like the CPR roundhouse on False Creek. The old Drake St. roundhouse.

Yep, I think I'd count on it

endivision
Historian
Wild West Express March 27

« Reply #761 on: Feb 23rd, 2010, 12:44am »

http://www2.canada.com/nanaimodailynews/news/story.html?id=793a962e-a1b3-4c17-9c45-d44ec672b914

Save E&N Railway History
torch
Historian

« Reply #762 on: Feb 23rd, 2010, 4:39am »

I would assume its just the  SRY geeps powering this train.

endivision
Historian

« Reply #763 on: Feb 23rd, 2010, 7:02pm »

on Feb 23rd, 2010, 4:39am, torch wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I would assume its just the  SRY geeps powering this train.

Yes, SVI geeps are the power ,and the coaches are from West Coast Rail Association from Squamish.

Save E&N Railway History
cobblehillian
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #764 on: Feb 23rd, 2010, 7:21pm »

In the future, the dinner train might be powered by #113 from Port Alberni or even the BC Forest Discovery Shay.  It would be nice to see some good rolling stock for this resident on the Island.

CPR_9199
Banned User
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #765 on: Feb 24th, 2010, 3:53am »

113 isn't in Port Alberni nor will it be for a long time.

joncalon
Historian

« Reply #766 on: Feb 25th, 2010, 9:39am »

on Feb 23rd, 2010, 7:02pm, endivision wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Yes, SVI geeps are the power ,and the coaches are from West Coast Rail Association from Squamish.

Have to admit, the date chosen sucks big time for me.  If I didn't already have travel plans to Moose Jaw for that weekend, I would've booked a flight from Calgary and participated in the event!

I'm hoping there will be at least one or two of you taking pictures of the train and posting them here?

Jon

vanislrailway
Railfan

« Reply #767 on: Mar 30th, 2010, 2:23pm »

Rails to Trails to Roads....................   Really ^Y^

Plan to move Galloping Goose Trail draws squawks

Developer wants to reconfigure trail so part could be used as road

http://www.timescolonist.com/Plan+move+Galloping+Goose+Trail+draws+squawks/2742734/story.html [url][/url]

I am interested in learning and preserving the history of the railway on Vancouver Island. With a lot of the History taken away we must work hard to insure our kids have the ability to watch and ride the rails we have left and enjoy seeing so much.
Dennis Dalla-Vicenza

View Profile  

« Reply #768 on: Apr 24th, 2010, 11:51pm »

on Feb 24th, 2010, 3:53am, CPR_9199 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
113 isn't in Port Alberni nor will it be for a long time.
Just read an article posted elsewhere debating your point.  

Never known for Political Correctness
& far from a tag words cut and paste artist.
Port Alberni or Thereabouts.
CN7059
Historian

« Reply #769 on: Jun 17th, 2010, 4:28pm »

Looks like we're loosing a key selling point of commuter rail, direct access to the downtown core.

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/Victoria+told+Johnson+Street+Bridge+rail+crossing+find+funding+elsewhere/3166540/story.html

Grant Williamson, Saanich BC

Speeder
Historian

« Reply #770 on: Jun 17th, 2010, 5:30pm »

on Jun 17th, 2010, 4:28pm, CN7059 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Looks like we're loosing a key selling point of commuter rail, direct access to the downtown core.

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/Victoria+told+Johnson+Street+Bridge+rail+crossing+find+funding+elsewhere/3166540/story.html

I knew this was going to happen!  

Now watch "them" want the E&N right of way immediately to the west of the Blue Bridge too.

If we lose the rail bridge, then we absolutely have to draw a line in the "sand" at the other side of the bridge... and I mean a few feet on the other side.  At least then the new station will only be a stone's throw from the old station.

It's vital that the railway does not get beaten back to the Round House area!!!

endivision
Historian

« Reply #771 on: Jun 17th, 2010, 6:57pm »

CRD needs to put some cash into the railway and the Blue Bridge, just like they did when they approved the $22 million towards a bike trail beside the tracks, and ICF doesn't even get a penny for the use of its right of way,and not one cent went into the railway infrastructure.
Commuter Rail is all talk with politicians, no one has yet stepped up to the plate and put the money down!

on Jun 17th, 2010, 5:30pm, Speeder wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I knew this was going to happen!  

Now watch "them" want the E&N right of way immediately to the west of the Blue Bridge too.

If we lose the rail bridge, then we absolutely have to draw a line in the "sand" at the other side of the bridge... and I mean a few feet on the other side.  At least then the new station will only be a stone's throw from the old station.

It's vital that the railway does not get beaten back to the Round House area!!!

Save E&N Railway History
Cody
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #772 on: Jul 4th, 2010, 10:54pm »

I guess the positive side of things is that none of the politicians seem too eager to be seen as the short-sighted morons who eliminated the commuter rail option.   They might want the rail bridge gone, but they are looking for a way to blame someone else (the feds need to pay for it yada yada yada etc etc)  If the legacy of Dean Forton's team is to build a majestic new bridge, they must also in the back of their minds be considering that they may first and foremost be remembered as the fools who cut the rail link short.      

Does anyone actually believe that commuter rail is not in the future?     It may be 20 years off, but it is coming for sure in my mind.    It makes too much obvious sense.     Half a million people traffic-jammed in rapid busses and Prius's does not really seem as logical in the long term.

« Last Edit: Jul 4th, 2010, 10:57pm by Cody » Logged
don432001
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #773 on: Aug 9th, 2010, 7:29pm »

Here is an example of everyone working together on funding:

Feds, province commit $30 million to short line railway

By: Northern Ontario Business staff

Ottawa has come through with some much-needed cash for track improvements to keep the Huron Central Railway rolling.  

Sault Ste. Marie MP Tony Martin has confirmed from federal Transportation Minister John Baird that $15 million earmarked for the northeastern Ontario short line railway is on its way.

For the second consecutive year, communities along the North Shore of Lake Huron and industrial shippers such as Essar Steel Algoma and Domtar were facing a looming Aug. 15 deadline to keep the railroad open.  

“I was told (Aug. 5) by phone (that) the federal government will honour its commitment, they are aware of the August 15 deadline for the expiry of the current agreement and that the details are being worked out,” said Martin in a news release.

Ottawa's funding commitment releases a matching $15 million previously set aside by the Ontario government for the Huron Central to make repairs and upgrades to track beds and bridges along the 305-kilometre-long Sault Ste. Marie-to-Sudbury line.

“The only really complicated issue here has been getting Ottawa and Ontario on the same page at the same time and I congratulate the federal government for making this good investment,” said Martin.

Area municipalities, alongside Martin and his New Democrat colleagues Carol Hughes, MP for Algoma-Manitoulin-Kapuskasing and Sudbury MP Glenn Thibeault, had been pressing Baird to honour his earlier funding promise.

Hughes said having a viable short line railway in place keeps extra transport trucks off the Trans-Canada Highway.

“Businesses can breathe a sigh of relief and equally as important communities can be reassured that our roads won't be subjected to more transports which would have increased the risk of accidents.”

Last year, Ottawa and Queen's Park teamed up to funnel $3 million as a stop-gap measure to the Huron Central after the Montreal-based carrier announced it was pulling service from Sault Ste. Marie and Espanola because of declining freight volumes and deteriorating track conditions. The railroad agreed to a one-year temporary service agreement which included undisclosed commitments from Essar and Domtar

Dennis Dalla-Vicenza

View Profile  

« Reply #774 on: Aug 24th, 2010, 4:10pm »

$30 million for over 200 miles of railway so I guess its real easy to justify $110 million for the 100 or so miles of the Island railway.  

BTW what is it called now that the E & N doesn't exist?

95XXX
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #775 on: Aug 24th, 2010, 7:15pm »

I always enjoy your positive statements

chrisale
Historian

« Reply #776 on: Aug 24th, 2010, 8:55pm »

on Aug 24th, 2010, 4:10pm, Garrett_Owner wrote:       (Click here for original message)
$30 million for over 200 miles of railway so I guess its real easy to justify $110 million for the 100 or so miles of the Island railway.  

BTW what is it called now that the E & N doesn't exist?

Check your facts Garrett.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huron_Central_Railway
http://www.islandrail.ca/?page_id=132

Huron Central is 305km (190mi), Island Rail is 289km (180mi)

« Last Edit: Aug 24th, 2010, 8:56pm by chrisale » Logged

:+) :+? :/
------
http://www.murkyview.com
http://www.alberniweather.ca
95XXX
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #777 on: Aug 24th, 2010, 9:14pm »

on Aug 24th, 2010, 8:55pm, chrisale wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Check your facts Garrett.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huron_Central_Railway
http://www.islandrail.ca/?page_id=132

Huron Central is 305km (190mi), Island Rail is 289km (180mi)

This is exactly how people get the wrong ideas about our railway, if you want to bash make sure you have your facts straight, otherwise  

chrisale
Historian

« Reply #778 on: Aug 24th, 2010, 9:44pm »

on Aug 24th, 2010, 9:14pm, 95XXX wrote:       (Click here for original message)

This is exactly how people get the wrong ideas about our railway, if you want to bash make sure you have your facts straight, otherwise  

Indeed.  Nothing bugs me more than not dealing with facts, no matter what the issue.

Another salient fact to Garrett's point...  

The $110 Million for the Island railway would most likely be split three ways between the Province, ICF/SRY and Feds, just as the $30 million for the Huron Central line was split between Ontario and the Feds.  So actual cost to each would be closer to $36 million vs. $15 million for the Huron Line which is in a lot better shape and is getting much less extensive upgrades than what the ICF is asking for.

« Last Edit: Aug 24th, 2010, 9:45pm by chrisale » Logged

:+) :+? :/
------
http://www.murkyview.com
http://www.alberniweather.ca
Dennis Dalla-Vicenza

View Profile  

« Reply #779 on: Aug 24th, 2010, 11:24pm »

Chris you can butt kiss the ICF all you want but that still ain't going to get them money. As an aside I rounded off the length of the railroad and you are making much ado about 10 effing miles.  

The ICF does not need to upgrade to the standards they are looking for as all they have to do is fix the bridges and get underway. 39 foot bolted rail is quite sufficient for the island and its speed restrictions.  

Name me all the railroad expertise on the ICF board please as I think they are both politically and opportunistically inept. Otherwise they wouldn't have paid so much for their position the appointed you to as I think you are way overpaid.

« Last Edit: Aug 24th, 2010, 11:45pm by Dennis Dalla-Vicenza » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46  ...  48 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »