Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Mar 22nd, 2017, 6:05pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Rumours & Speculation & Rants
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   Rumours & Speculation & Rants
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45  ...  48 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Rumours & Speculation & Rants  (Read 21193 times)
CN7059
Historian
Re: Rumours & Speculation & Rants

« Reply #740 on: Oct 30th, 2009, 6:39pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I find it interesting that the Greyhound is cheaper for seniors. In my experience, a student fair on the dayliner from Victoria to Nanaimo is cheaper than the Greyhound.

EDIT:

Just did a quick search on their respective websites.

Student fare:

Greyhound 20.39  Via 17.85

Seniors:  

Greyhound: 20.40  Via 18.40

That's using the economy supersaver fare, which is non refundable. Greyhound fares are also non refundable, unless you pay slightly more for a refundable ticket. In my experience, paying on board the train (or on board the bus), the train is still cheaper, although both train and bus are slightly more expensive if you pay at the time of departure.

« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2009, 6:46pm by CN7059 » Logged

Grant Williamson, Saanich BC

farronhill
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #741 on: Nov 12th, 2009, 4:36am »

I thought some here might find it interesting to see some people's vision for our roundhouse, which they call a "decommissioned locomotive repair  facility":

http://www.livingroundhouse.info/

They won an award for this plan, but ... the turntable becomes a water cistern? etc.

Enjoy!

Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #742 on: Nov 12th, 2009, 10:00pm »

And they took out the passing siding?

Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #743 on: Nov 13th, 2009, 12:39am »

unfortunately this idea won't happen, but it is interesting.  

torch
Historian

« Reply #744 on: Dec 29th, 2009, 1:26am »

Sry's  new barge slip on Annacis island is  apparently  set to begin use after this week.   Hopefully this will be  a tool in imporoving freight traffic on the E&N.  Keep your eyes and senses peeled.

Pyronova

View Profile  

« Reply #745 on: Dec 29th, 2009, 1:46pm »

on Dec 29th, 2009, 1:26am, torch wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Sry's  new barge slip on Annacis island is  apparently  set to begin use after this week.   Hopefully this will be  a tool in imporoving freight traffic on the E&N.  Keep your eyes and senses peeled.  

I keep meaning to "stage a break down" on the Alex Fraser Bridge to get a good aerial photo of the slip.....

Moderator of: Mainline - Rail Safety; Regional Areas - British Columbia & Vancouver Island; Fallen Flags - The Milwaukee Road; & Model Railroading - N-Scale .

torch
Historian

« Reply #746 on: Dec 29th, 2009, 6:45pm »

I know, huh! It looks like it may be  difficult to ever get  a  real good peek at it. Im wondering if its viewable from the  other side of the  river. Perhaps along river road near the Alex Fraser bridge?

Brushcutter
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #747 on: Dec 29th, 2009, 9:13pm »

There are walkways on both sides of the Alex Fraser bridge that I've used.  It is a bit of a hike from the southwest end of the bridge to where the good photo locations looking down on the slip are.  The hike south from the northwest end of the bridge is shorter but can be, let's say "unpleasant", if the wind is blowing from the sewage treatment plant.

To "stage a break down" would likely result in the right off of your vehicle or worse  given the way people drive the bridge especially if attempted during daylight when the slip is in use.

on Dec 29th, 2009, 1:46pm, Pyronova wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I keep meaning to "stage a break down" on the Alex Fraser Bridge to get a good aerial photo of the slip.....

CN7059
Historian

« Reply #748 on: Dec 29th, 2009, 11:38pm »

on Dec 29th, 2009, 6:45pm, torch wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I know, huh! It looks like it may be  difficult to ever get  a  real good peek at it. Im wondering if its viewable from the  other side of the  river. Perhaps along river road near the Alex Fraser bridge?

For all the times I've taken the 640 bus along river road, I have never actually seen the slip. I think that photographing the slip from ground level would involve some form of trespassing.

cn2220
Historian

« Reply #749 on: Dec 30th, 2009, 12:11am »

on Dec 29th, 2009, 11:38pm, CN7059 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

For all the times I've taken the 640 bus along river road, I have never actually seen the slip. I think that photographing the slip from ground level would involve some form of trespassing.

About as easy to see from River Rd as the Tilbury slip.

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
CN7059
Historian

« Reply #750 on: Dec 30th, 2009, 12:14am »

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong spot then. I'm not from the mainland, so I only have a rough idea of where these things are.

mike_enr
Historian
View Profile  

Screenshot-1.jpg - 93741 Bytes
« Reply #751 on: Dec 30th, 2009, 12:58am »

The site can be accessed at the south end of Derwent Place, shown with the circle on the photo. It looks like there is access to the barge slip site through a utility access path. I didn't walk through as it was an active construction site at the time, but I hope to head back as it looks like there would be access to take photos.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/Screenshot-1.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Mike
torch
Historian

« Reply #752 on: Dec 30th, 2009, 1:59am »

From what I hear   tommorow (wed) is the last day that SRY switches the ex-bnsf  barge slip downtown van.  Then the change is made to the new slip.

Pyronova

View Profile  

« Reply #753 on: Dec 30th, 2009, 3:34am »

on Dec 30th, 2009, 1:59am, torch wrote:       (Click here for original message)
From what I hear   tommorow (wed) is the last day that SRY switches the ex-bnsf  barge slip downtown van.  Then the change is made to the new slip.  

The new slip can be seen VERY easily from River Rd in Delta.
Look behind the fish processing plant near the River Rd / Nordel intersection.

Moderator of: Mainline - Rail Safety; Regional Areas - British Columbia & Vancouver Island; Fallen Flags - The Milwaukee Road; & Model Railroading - N-Scale .

torch
Historian

« Reply #754 on: Jan 3rd, 2010, 3:35am »

Today (as in sunday) is the first switch of the new annacis barge slip. From what I heard  this is traffic bound for e&n   .  Perhaps they have scuttled the nanaimo slip switch time around again? Anyhow, just giving you guys a heads up.

« Last Edit: Jan 3rd, 2010, 3:36am by torch » Logged
chrisale
Historian

« Reply #755 on: Jan 13th, 2010, 1:04am »

So apparently some pretty interesting information came out at last nights Council Meeting in Port Alberni.

A citizen came forward and asked Mayor and Council about the effect a coal handling facility would have on tourism prospects in the City.  

I asked the guy what he asked and how the Mayor responded (as I didn't actually see the meeting) and he said:

Quote:
[The Mayor] did say that he had been talking to one of the proponents of the mine trying to convince him that Port Alberni was the best port for the coal. He tought he had convinced this guy. I don't know if he actually had. He also mentioned that if the coal was trucked to Port it would mean 3 trucks an hour 24 hours a day. Yikes! Another enormously fat man got up and said he figured there would be one coal train a day. That doesn't sound too bad to me from a noise perspective. From a coal dust perspective, I have no idea. That's about it.

According to another another person who saw the meeting:

Quote:
[The Mayor] said he had met personally with the coal company with HFN and Tseshaht---yesterday was when he said the meeting took place and that they all agreed it would be in Port Alberni.

He spoke as if it was done deal.

And according to a member of the media who I chatted with about it...

Quote:

Wow, exciting stuff with the coal.  

Ken said it's just the start of the process, but after a meeting yesterday (Monday) that there was no doubt that the people want it shipped out of Port Alberni, the other options were duke point, texada and somewhere else. There should be some drilling happening soon under the assembly dock to see what it can handle. The ICF is having their 1st meeting on thursday to talk about upgrading the rail lines. If the coal was shipped by truck, there would be about 3 trucks/hour, 24/7, that's a heck of a lot of trucks. Sounds positive!

So there's your scuttlebutt for tonight!

Fingers Crossed

Question I have is... where's the "Assembly Dock".  My gut feeling is that it is some part of the Port Authority docks between the Marine Discovery Center (just south of Harbour Quay) and the Somass Mill.

« Last Edit: Jan 13th, 2010, 1:09am by chrisale » Logged

:+) :+? :/
------
http://www.murkyview.com
http://www.alberniweather.ca
vanislrailway
Railfan
Victoria Roundhouse for sale.

« Reply #756 on: Jan 23rd, 2010, 5:11pm »

so who do you think will buy it and what do you think there plans will be?  Bay View wanted towers and the roundhouse to be a market, what will the next owners do?

I am interested in learning and preserving the history of the railway on Vancouver Island. With a lot of the History taken away we must work hard to insure our kids have the ability to watch and ride the rails we have left and enjoy seeing so much.
vanislrailway
Railfan
Re: Victoria Roundhouse for sale.

« Reply #757 on: Jan 28th, 2010, 4:07pm »

Massive Bayview Residences project for sale in "billion-dollar" deal
Properties have attracted potential investors, Alberta developer says
By Carla Wilson, Times Colonist January 22, 2010

http://www.timescolonist.com/business/Massive+Bayview+Residences+project+sale+billion+dollar+deal/2471895/story.html [url][/url]

I am interested in learning and preserving the history of the railway on Vancouver Island. With a lot of the History taken away we must work hard to insure our kids have the ability to watch and ride the rails we have left and enjoy seeing so much.
Speeder
Historian

« Reply #758 on: Jan 28th, 2010, 4:54pm »

I hope that any plans for this site DO NOT in anyway impinge on the railway.

cn2220
Historian

« Reply #759 on: Jan 28th, 2010, 4:58pm »

I have a sinking feeling the roundhouse will end up like the CPR roundhouse on False Creek. The old Drake St. roundhouse.

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45  ...  48 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »