Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 23rd, 2017, 5:37pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Rumours & Speculation & Rants
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   Rumours & Speculation & Rants
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44  ...  48 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Rumours & Speculation & Rants  (Read 21273 times)
chrisale
Historian
Re: Rumours & Speculation & Rants

« Reply #720 on: Sep 15th, 2009, 9:12am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

News of the Compliance Energy / Comox Joint Venture coal project marches on.

This was in the Globe and Mail yesterday:

<blockquote>
The Raven mine, expected to cost between $100-million and $150-million to build, would produce primarily metallurgical, or coking, coal for making steel.

According to a project description filed with the province, steel mills in Japan, South Korea and Taiwan would be the main customers for the mine's coking coal. Lower-value thermal coal would go to Asian customers and cement manufacturers in Canada and Washington State.
</blockquote>

:+) :+? :/
------
http://www.murkyview.com
http://www.alberniweather.ca
vanislrailway
Railfan

« Reply #721 on: Sep 15th, 2009, 4:19pm »

Just Speculation but on the news last night they said the BC Government might not have the money to put into the blue bridge replacement in Victoria, wondering if that means the E&N will get a no for that project next.  All that money looks like it was spent in Vancouver and the areas around them.

I am interested in learning and preserving the history of the railway on Vancouver Island. With a lot of the History taken away we must work hard to insure our kids have the ability to watch and ride the rails we have left and enjoy seeing so much.
ENRFAN
Historian

« Reply #722 on: Sep 15th, 2009, 8:50pm »

well that sure doesn't suprise me.

cn2220
Historian

« Reply #723 on: Sep 17th, 2009, 12:51am »

New power for the coal trains? All 412,000 lbs of it. Blank drawing of SD70ACe is by Michael Eby and is available on his website http://trainiax.net

« Last Edit: Sep 17th, 2009, 1:01am by cn2220 » Logged

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
ENRFAN
Historian

« Reply #724 on: Sep 17th, 2009, 9:40am »

SD70 ace !! as a rail fan those are my favorite locomotive. I love the 70 mac and CN's SD75I!! Nice looking units, Have you had the chance to work with any of these locomotives?  

I love that paint scheme Tyler, Last time I was on the port sub I was looking at the track thinking about how it could be realigned to run these Locomotives. Unfortunatly a lot of work would have to be done to run those awsome Machines. But they would definatly be able to haul all that coal!

MinionII
Historian

« Reply #725 on: Sep 17th, 2009, 4:17pm »

While on vacation my wife and me spent a night in Livingston. We had dinner at Montana's Steak & Chop House, which is right beside the MRL yard. While there, a long general merchandise fright with a few BNSF C44-9s on the front rolled in and stopped. After dinner, we went to the end of the yard where the front of the train was to get some pictures of the front end power. I didn't realize it, but they were tacking a few SD70s onto the rear of the train. After a few minutes, the train departed. After the racket of the front end locomotives diminished, we heard a huge racket coming up. The pushers must have been near full throttle, because it sounded and felt like the world was coming to an end. It was the best train experience on that trip.  

cn2220
Historian

« Reply #726 on: Sep 17th, 2009, 4:58pm »

on Sep 17th, 2009, 9:40am, ENRFAN wrote:       (Click here for original message)
SD70 ace !! as a rail fan those are my favorite locomotive. I love the 70 mac and CN's SD75I!! Nice looking units, Have you had the chance to work with any of these locomotives?

I've run the DC traction version, the SD70M-2. Those things are beasts, loud and uncomfortable. Their saving grace, large cabs and can they ever pull. They'll out pull an older SD70I or SD75I.  

Quote:

I love that paint scheme Tyler, Last time I was on the port sub I was looking at the track thinking about how it could be realigned to run these Locomotives. Unfortunatly a lot of work would have to be done to run those awsome Machines. But they would definatly be able to haul all that coal!

Or my HO scale E&N Railfreight C40-8W.  

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
ENRFAN
Historian

« Reply #727 on: Sep 17th, 2009, 8:44pm »

An HO scale C40-8W painted for the E&N?? thats cool do you have any pictures of it?

cn2220
Historian

« Reply #728 on: Sep 17th, 2009, 8:58pm »

on Sep 17th, 2009, 8:44pm, ENRFAN wrote:       (Click here for original message)
An HO scale C40-8W painted for the E&N?? thats cool do you have any pictures of it?

I'm not finished painting it yet, will have photos in the model RR thread when it's finished.

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
ENRFAN
Historian

« Reply #729 on: Sep 17th, 2009, 9:47pm »

Right on

chrisale
Historian

« Reply #730 on: Oct 23rd, 2009, 9:13pm »

Interesting update on the Compliance Energy Coal mine development near Bowser.

Here is a video done by a mining investment analyst (?) this summer:

http://resourceworldtv.com/video/d0aace61615ab26/Analyst-Site-Visit-Compliance-Energy-TSXV-CEC

And here's the latest progress report/Press Release from Compliance Energy.
http://www.complianceenergy.com/news/press_releases/PDFs/091020_CEC_News_Release.pdf  

Looks like their drilling has been pretty successful as far as proving the reserves they're hoping for. You can see the exploratory drilling spots here:
http://www.complianceenergy.com/projects/raven_coal/exploration.shtml

Construction of the mine is currently on track for Q1 2011.

« Last Edit: Oct 23rd, 2009, 9:14pm by chrisale » Logged

:+) :+? :/
------
http://www.murkyview.com
http://www.alberniweather.ca
don432001
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #731 on: Oct 29th, 2009, 11:27am »

Here is today's Times Colonist article on route change proposal of the Dayliner:

'Wrong way' rail may be righted

The E&N Rail Dayliner could soon be turned around -- starting up-Island in the morning and heading south from Nanaimo into Victoria for its first run of the day instead of the other way around.

"It's something we're definitely working on," said Graham Bruce, executive director of the Island Corridor Foundation, which owns the rail line. "There's a number of pieces to make this all work together. I think it's quite plausible."

Bruce said the change could take place as early as six months from now.

Currently, one 90-passenger car leaves Victoria each morning and travels to Courtenay before making a return trip at the end of the day. Islanders have complained for years that the train is going the wrong way and missing potential commuter traffic.

Both Bruce and View Royal Mayor Graham Hill, the capital region's representative on the Island Corridor Foundation, say turning the train around could be particularly attractive to residents in Cobble Hill and Shawnigan Lake. Hill said about 240 Department of National Defence employees live in Cobble Hill and could take the train to CFB Esquimalt.

"There's an uncertainty in some people's minds of how viable this is, but if you get people to vote with their backsides in seats to illustrate what the uptake could be, that may eliminate some of the uncertainty," Hill said.

Bruce said the foundation and its rail operator, South Island Rail, are in discussions with Dayliner operator Via Rail about the expanded service.

Foundation representative Doug Backhouse told Capital Regional District directors yesterday that plans are well underway to add a second passenger train to carry commuter traffic to downtown Victoria from Langford.

The idea would be to operate two trains out of Nanaimo. The first might leave at 6 a.m. for the capital region, then turn around for its trip to Courtenay.

A second train could leave Nanaimo shortly after that, carrying another load of people to the capital region, and then operate back and forth between Victoria's downtown and Langford over the course of the day before heading back to Nanaimo.

Both Backhouse and Bruce say there is potential for excursion rail as well, with one run possibly linking up with a new cruise-ship terminal in Nanaimo and taking people to Cameron Lake.

Funding is now in place for the $2.4-million restoration of Nanaimo's rail station, destroyed by fire two years ago.

Backhouse said the discovery of a significant coal deposit near Union Bay could bring significant commercial rail traffic between Union Bay and Port Alberni if mining begins. "That's very significant, because that provides a lot of the economic horsepower to sustain the rail corridor going forward."

bcleverley@tc.canwest.com

Copyright (c) The Victoria Times Colonist

Speeder
Historian

« Reply #732 on: Oct 29th, 2009, 7:56pm »

I don't mean to be cynical here, but...

I know there's been talk of 1) having the Dayliner operate from the other direction, and 2) having a Victoria-Langford commuter run for a while now. But, is the ICF actually any closer to these goals? Or is this just a wishful-thinking?

Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #733 on: Oct 29th, 2009, 9:48pm »

I would see this as a positive thing.

Speeder
Historian

« Reply #734 on: Oct 30th, 2009, 12:09am »

on Oct 29th, 2009, 9:48pm, Coastrail wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I would see this as a positive thing.

So would I

Dayliner
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #735 on: Oct 30th, 2009, 10:34am »

Many on this board will remember that CP tried something like this in the middle 70s.  The Dayliner left Nanaimo for Parksville (no service north of Parksvile in those days) very early in the a.m., returning south for a late morning arrival in Victoria.  It then left Victoria in the late afternoon for the return trip to Nanaimo.  The service north of Nanaimo was pretty much useless, but in the core market between Nanaimo and Victoria it did provide a practical day-return service to Victoria.  Ridership--never high in those days--went down the toilet.  

With the highest population density on the Island, Victoria and environs provided (and probably still does provide) the largest and best potential market for rail passenger service.  So it has always made sense, from a marketing point of view, to ask, "What works for the Victoria market?" instead of "What works for the up-Island market?"  For years, what worked for the Victoria market was a day-return service based in Victoria.  

Having said that, this is welcome news.  Things have changed in the last 35 years--for one thing, the population all along the route of the E&N has grown dramatically, so the market everywhere is now bigger.  The potential Victoria market now includes people living as far north as the Cowichan Valley.  But the passenger service will always have to be focused on the needs of the largest population base on the Island.

Life without trains? Inconceivable!
cobblehillian
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #736 on: Oct 30th, 2009, 1:31pm »

I see the proposed scheduling changes as a great step forward.  However, this will all be dependent on VIA going along with things. Or perhaps, is it time to part ways with VIA as the operator.

The current VIA fares will ensure that any scheduling or service changes undertaken to increase ridership and provide convenience will fail.  I just looked up the >1week advance purchase fares for seniors from Cobble Hill to Nanaimo and return(134Km).  The best I can do is $75.80 per person. Taxes are included but tickets are non-exchangeable and non-refundable.  This boils down to $0.56.6 (56.6 cents) per passenger kilometer.  That is an absolutely atrocious fare and even at  a group rate would not be competitive with the full costs (depreciation, insurance, etc.) of operating a private auto.

VIA operates a tourist business and Vancouver Island needs a transportation business.  Unfortunately, our provincial government, for ideological reasons, only subsidizes transportation where it is forced to do so.

B_Winkler
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #737 on: Oct 30th, 2009, 1:46pm »

Lower fares  

Easier, local access to tickets.

Commuter discounts including train passes for commuters.  

Put these things together with more service and you have a chance.  
Otherwise you are just shuffling deck chairs on the Titanic

95XXX
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #738 on: Oct 30th, 2009, 1:49pm »

I just went to Via's site and got an advanced booking regular adult fare Cobble Hill -Nanaimo return for $42.

I would try again.

cobblehillian
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #739 on: Oct 30th, 2009, 5:47pm »

Sorry, my mistake, I put in for two seniors fares instead of one.  However, my argument still holds true, 28.3 cents/Km (senior rate) 31.3 cents (adult) is still very very high based on advance purchase fares of $37.80 and $42.00 respectively.  For seniors there appears to be no advance purchase incentive or savings.  

It should be noted that the HST will add about $2.52 to the seniors' fare.

The Greyhound fares for the same trip are as follows:

7 Day Advance Purchase    $27.50+GST
Non Refundable        $31.45+GST
Refundable Fare       $36.45+GST

Non advance purchase

Non Refundable Senior      $34.50+GST
Refundable Senior   $40.50+GST

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44  ...  48 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »