Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Aug 22nd, 2017, 10:36pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Rumours & Speculation & Rants
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   Rumours & Speculation & Rants
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43  ...  48 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Rumours & Speculation & Rants  (Read 21645 times)
Speeder
Historian
Re: Rumours & Speculation & Rants

« Reply #700 on: Jul 16th, 2009, 1:03am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Well the good new is, another road crossing with barriers. The more barriers on crossings the better, for obvious reasons.

Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #701 on: Jul 25th, 2009, 1:45pm »

I find this article interesting. It has some merit on this forum. I have left bold a section of the article, that I think deserves discussion.

The Cassidy area is unique on the Island, said Island Timberland's senior land manager.

"Nowhere else on Vancouver Island do you find a major highway, a railway and an airport all in the same area," said Stephen Henderson.

"The Victoria airport doesn't have a railway link, neither does Comox but we could have one here with no problem. We think there's an opportunity that should be explored," he said.

"Look at Vancouver. They are spending several millions of dollars just to connect a light rail link to the airport there and we already have an existing railroad right by our airport."

Your thoughts please.

Cheers

Aaron

Quote:
Cassidy: Rural to village centre?
Mix of residential and light industrial under consideration
Walter Cordery, Daily News
Published: Saturday, July 25, 2009

Island Timberlands has started holding public meetings in Cassidy to see what type of support there may be in the community for a village centre.

The company hopes to develop a mixed-use project on 68 hectares of land it owns close to the airport. Island Timberlands envisions a residential component to its concept as well as an area set aside for light industrial activities that will bring much-needed jobs to Cassidy.

If residents approve of the plan, which is still only a concept, company spokeswoman Makenzie Leine said the project would bring some amenities to Cassidy that it lacks.

"For the most part, the majority of people who live in Cassidy can't find work in Cassidy and by bringing light industrial activity to the area, we hope there will be opportunities to employ some local people," Leine said.

The company is working with the Regional District of Nanaimo and the surrounding community to come up with a development plan that will also bring more green space to the area.

"The official community plan process has identified there is a shortfall in the Cassidy community and there is lack of amenities," said Leine. "There's no transit, no parks, and a lack of public meeting places, and the majority of people need to drive to get to work. The project is being progressed with a pattern of development that will be trying to address these needs."

The Cassidy area is unique on the Island, said Island Timberland's senior land manager.

"Nowhere else on Vancouver Island do you find a major highway, a railway and an airport all in the same area," said Stephen Henderson.

"The Victoria airport doesn't have a railway link, neither does Comox but we could have one here with no problem. We think there's an opportunity that should be explored," he said.

"Look at Vancouver. They are spending several millions of dollars just to connect a light rail link to the airport there and we already have an existing railroad right by our airport."

Joe Burnett, who represents Cassidy on the RDN board, has followed the plan with interest. "Right now, there's nothing tangible, no real plan to examine, because they are consulting with the public first," he said.

But Burnett said he is impressed with the company's decision to include the public in the "very early" stages of discussion, and is also pleased the company seems to be abiding by the RDN's regional growth strategy.

On the RDN website, the organization outlines its growth strategy which encourages "mixed-use communities that includes places to live, work, learn, play, shop and access services."

Leine said Island Timberlands plan will do exactly that.

"In our opinion it is consistent with the vision of the OCP . . . it also complements the greater regional strategy.

"We feel we are tying together the economic, environmental, and social desires" of area residents," she said.

WCordery@nanaimodailynews.com

© The Daily News (Nanaimo) 2009

« Last Edit: Jul 25th, 2009, 1:49pm by Aaron Lypkie » Logged
timberland#7
Railfan

« Reply #702 on: Jul 26th, 2009, 3:12am »

Its amazing that Island timberlands ( werhauser) talks jobs when they export them to the usa every day by raw log exports. This is the first thing they tell you when they want something that shoudnt happen.You have a rural comunity that some big corporation whants to dump a big city right in the middle of it. Never mind any official comunity plans or minunum lot sizethey want and will propably get the smallest lot size to make the biggest buck.These lands are formally mac blo lands aquired when werhauser bot them now theyve log them and now want to make a quik buck for the share holder the same plan that timberwest has.Alot of these lands were aquired by H R Macmillan in the 1950s after they were already logged by there previous owners.H R was Canadas first forester and seen the subsainability in the forests. something island timberlands and timberwest dont see.So if there so concerned about jobs start using substainable logging practices and using logs were they come from rather than whashington state. That said I am not against any type of air port rail conection just huge U.S. corp.We need long term base industrial jobs not short term construction jobs the kind we use to have before the americans took over our forest industry.

Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #703 on: Jul 26th, 2009, 10:48pm »

I agree with u. But on the flip side, it seems that Timberwest is reaching out to the community.

I will keep on this story and keep everyone posted.

« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2009, 2:06am by Aaron Lypkie » Logged
cobblehillian
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #704 on: Jul 28th, 2009, 6:59pm »

Thanks Mr. Coastrail (Aaron) for posting the article from the Nanaimo paper on the Island Timberlands proposal for Cassidy. Here's my rant on the subject.  I look forward to some good discussion.

This is just the beginning of what will be a long hard fought campaign by the largest E&N land grant holders, Island Timberlands, TimberWest, and John Hancock Life Insurance to make the last bit of money from their land base adjacent to settlement.  It will be interesting to see how creative they get in coming up with pipe dreams and schemes to sell property.  After all, their prime objective is maximum profit for share or unit holders. [If you want to skip the analysis and see how all of this effects the E&N railway skip to nearer the bottom.]

Most of these lands have been logged off two or three times and can bring a bigger return by selling as opposed to waiting 50-100 years for a new timber crop.  The money invested at 3% is probably a better deal than waiting for the timber.  Think of the cost of harvesting in 2060 when fuel is conservatively $5.00+/liter.

As well, it is known that continuous mono cropping will not work over the long haul.  You can't plant corn or potatoes year after year in the same field and expect high yields.  Also, good forest managers know the future is not about clear cutting naturally propagated or large plantations.  Selective cutting which maintains something approaching old growth character and ecology will probably slowly be instituted over the next 100 years.   As the island populates the permissive attitude to wide open clear cutting and the problems it creates (fish, wildlife, drainage, erosion, silt loads, water quality and quantity, etc.,etc.) will find less acceptance.   We've already seen that some markets will not buy from clear cut operators.

Island tourism and retirement are marketed on the basis of a mythological Pacific Northwest existing up to the time of early settlement that the timber companies have transfigured into a semi industrial landscape.  To see the real thing we now have to go to parks and set-aside areas.  There are also niche markets for golf and gated communities.

The timber companies will probably want to move quickly to dispose of land for several reasons.  And in the process they will get very creative in inventing development concepts to move things along.

1.  TimberWest and Island timberlands in 2007/8 added real estate experts in timberland divestment to their executive ranks.  These people are experienced and helped the timber companies in the US southeast (Florida, Georgia, Texas) sell off their lands for development.

2. Emerging water supply issues on the Island underly  the need for urgency to divest.

3. Emerging fuel costs and climate change mitigate against further suburban and rural sprawl that current developers know how to do best.  This form of development yields the highest returns for raw forest land sales yields.  This type of development will not be allowed in more progressive jurisdictions in the near future.  Sprawl is simply not  a sustainable development form.  At some point it will not be an option.

4. As the baby boom, and baby boom echo, bubbles begin to diminish in about five years the North American real estate market for first, second, and third homes will contract.  This will be offset to some degree on Vancouver Island  by retirement  purchasing.

5.  The province currently has a business friendly government and has granted many concessions to the industry.  The industry will try to "make hay while the sun shines".

6. Real estate is easy money requiring no machines, infrastructure, or labour.

7.  The Coastal forest industry is not healthy.  It is increasingly reliant upon such controversial practices as hygrading for valuable species, more log exports, and asset sales.

Jeffrey Rubin, recently retired president of CIBC World Markets (the CIBC mergers and acquisition arm) in his book Why Your World is About to Get a Whole Lot Smaller:  Oil and the End of Globalization has said that sprawl will simply be an obsolete development form.  It will not be fashionable nor sustainable.  The cost of mobility will be too expensive to make this kind of development practical.  As well, sprawl requires very expensive utility networks that are inefficient, costly and make big footprints.   Current suburban tract developments will be the next ghettos with low rents and low incomes.  People with education and money won't stick around unless their property is unique or has special attributes, e.g. ocean frontage, that justify the higher taxes and operational costs.  Rural poverty has never ceased and seems poised to rise.

So what does all of this mean for the E&N.  I think a bigger and better E&N should not include additional suburban/rural sprawl but rather denser existing centres near stations.  Rail transit developments across North America, beginning with post war Toronto, have reinforced the wisdom of densifying existing residential and employment nodes around stations.The present proposal appears to be driven by the location of Island Timberlands "surplus" land and not efficient environmentally responsible development in the context of global warming  and fossil fuel consumption.

I think there may be areas held by the forestry companies that are appropriate to development be it  residential, commercial/industrial, recreational.  Cassidy is not one of them.

[i][/i]

JRPhotography
Railfan

« Reply #705 on: Jul 29th, 2009, 6:04pm »

I see the development of a city center type area for Cassidy as a possible good idea with regard to the the expansion of the airport and connecting flight travel with rail travel. With Cassidy being "Nanaimo's airport" this would be an excellent place to make a connectin with the Dayliner. If Cassidy made this development near the airport and close to the rails, people could fly in from Vancouver do a little shopping or whatever while waiting for the train in the morning to Nanaimo north or in the afternoon to Ladysmith south.  

The current expansion of the airport will include an extension of the runway of 1600' giving a total length of 6600'. This extension will allow Cassidy airport to handle larger aircraft (CRJ's) with increased capacity of passsangers. Also, the additional lighting will increase landing capabilities during times of fog or reduced visibility (fewer diversions).

I know, coming from an islander who has moved to Calgary and flown home numerous times, how much of a pain it can be to fly into Cassidy. You, land in the middle of nowhere. Having a rail connection and an area to shop or wonder while waiting for a train or a plane is going to be a great benifit to the community.

John

My Photo Collection: http://jrphotography.rrpicturearchives.net/
chrisale
Historian

« Reply #706 on: Jul 29th, 2009, 11:15pm »

Of course, until they grow a brain at Cassidy and put in IFR capability so that planes don't constantly have to divert to Victoria during the fall/winter/spring I think the flight/rail possibilities are largely nil.  but that's just IMO from someone whos had to drive to Victoria far too many times in the past and goes now flies only from Comox or Victoria.

:+) :+? :/
------
http://www.murkyview.com
http://www.alberniweather.ca
Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #707 on: Jul 30th, 2009, 12:19am »

Well I wouldn't dismiss the rail/airport idea right away. As the population grows and gets older, better connections between Nanaimo and the mainland (besides BC Ferries) will be needed. I will watch this with interest.

But on the other side of the coin, with all this talk of climate change and the economy, flying is being questioned more and more. Rail and faster passenger ferries will have to be looked at more seriously in the near future.

« Last Edit: Jul 30th, 2009, 12:35am by Aaron Lypkie » Logged
timberland#7
Railfan

« Reply #708 on: Jul 30th, 2009, 1:56am »

I am all for a rail passenger conection with the airport, the more train passengers the better. One draw back is the train goes to Courtenay and Victoria were they already can land planes all year round. Wouldnt you also need alot of trains running to meet the scheduling of the flights.That said we dont need Island timberlands mega project just a station stop and a schedule that works.

cobblehillian
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #709 on: Jul 30th, 2009, 12:19pm »

I'm all for a train stop at the airport.  It's a good fit.  Perhaps the Cassidy stop can be re-located or a new stop created opposite the airport.

I'm not for the creation of another town by the airport for all the reasons I previously wrote about.  Besides if the airport is expanded to accept regional jets and 737's who will want to live beside it - not many.

Plane travel will not be as universally available and used if one subscribes to peak oil which most experts now accept.  All travel in the future will be expensive, it's another opportunity for government to off load their historical responsibilities.  Government currently puts billions in highways, and this won't be transfered to railways.

cn2220
Historian

« Reply #710 on: Jul 30th, 2009, 2:06pm »

on Jul 30th, 2009, 1:56am, timberland#7 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
One draw back is the train goes to Courtenay and Victoria were they already can land planes all year round.

Yes, but the train also runs through Shawnigan Lake, Cobble Hill, Duncan, Chemainus, Ladysmith, Parksville and Qualicum Beach where they can't.

« Last Edit: Jul 30th, 2009, 2:07pm by cn2220 » Logged

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
ENRFAN
Historian

« Reply #711 on: Jul 30th, 2009, 8:48pm »

Yes, but the train also runs through Shawnigan Lake, Cobble Hill, Duncan, Chemainus, Ladysmith, Parksville and Qualicum Beach where they can't.

That is a good point BCR4604
 A better thought out scheduale using the three rdc's based at different locations would be a good start.

Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #712 on: Jul 30th, 2009, 9:31pm »

I agree, I think our first priority should be existing stations in existing towns, then expand from there.

The Cassidy project is long term, and even then its only an idea.

Actually I have been working on some drawings for ideas at the stations in Victoria, Duncan and Nanaimo, when I am done I will either post them here or post them on the website (if its done).

chrisale
Historian

« Reply #713 on: Aug 16th, 2009, 2:43am »

The coal mine stuff marches on:

http://www.complianceenergy.com/news/press_releases/PDFs/090813_CEC_News_Release.pdf

"On August 12, 2009 BCEAO issued a Section 10 Order for the Comox JVís Raven Underground Coal Project on Vancouver Island, BC. This Order is an acknowledgement by the British Columbia Government that the Raven Project is reviewable under the Environmental Reviewable Projects legislation and requires an environmental assessment certificate prior to obtaining mining permits.  

The Project Description outlines the Comox JVís proposed underground coal mine with an annual clean coal production rate of up to 1.5 million tonnes over a projected mine life of 20 years. Since an underground mine development is being proposed, the surface footprint will be relatively small with the proposed surface structures consisting primarily of a coal preparation plant and related facilities, electric substation, and maintenance and administration buildings. Other infrastructure: the inland island highway, high voltage power lines, a railway, and gas pipeline are close at hand and the project would include short (2-4 kilometers) interconnections to each of these as required. "

There is more information in the linked PDF

« Last Edit: Aug 16th, 2009, 2:44am by chrisale » Logged

------
chrisale
Historian

« Reply #714 on: Aug 18th, 2009, 11:35pm »

Comox Valley Echo had a "raft" of details about the coalmine in the area, including potential shipping points identified by the company at Gold River, Texada Island, Duke Point and Port Alberni.

http://www.canada.com/Coal+mine+will+need+full+environmental+assessment/1906221/story.html

------
endivision
Historian

« Reply #715 on: Aug 19th, 2009, 11:36pm »

Have heard starting this Saturday the rail barge will deliver cars to the Island from now on instead of Mondays.
SVI will have a yard crew on hand to unload and load barge.

Save E&N Railway History
SRY1202
Railfan

« Reply #716 on: Sep 5th, 2009, 7:54pm »

Has anyone heard anything new about the barge slip under construction on Annacis Island? Or has someone over on the mainland actually laid a pair of eyeballs on it to verify if it is actually being built?

andrewjoystick
Railfan

« Reply #717 on: Sep 5th, 2009, 8:38pm »

I managed to get a glimpse of it last week when traveling over the Alex Fraser Bridge. From what I could see, the pile driving has been done and the roadbed for the track(s) leading to the slip has been done. As far as I can tell, all that's left is to build the actual ramp structure and lay the track(s) leading to it.

SRY1202
Railfan

« Reply #718 on: Sep 6th, 2009, 2:51am »

on Sep 5th, 2009, 8:38pm, andrewjoystick wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I managed to get a glimpse of it last week when traveling over the Alex Fraser Bridge. From what I could see, the pile driving has been done and the roadbed for the track(s) leading to the slip has been done. As far as I can tell, all that's left is to build the actual ramp structure and lay the track(s) leading to it.

Would it be possible to get any pictures at all? Or is the area pretty secluded?
Lol I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to areas around Vancouver.

andrewjoystick
Railfan

« Reply #719 on: Sep 6th, 2009, 1:03pm »

From what I could see, it is not easily accessible without trespassing. It is possible to get shots from the Alex Fraser Bridge's west sidewalk if anyone on the mainland feels up to walking or cycling onto the bridge.

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43  ...  48 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »