Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Mar 23rd, 2017, 10:20am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Rumours & Speculation & Rants
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   Rumours & Speculation & Rants
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42  ...  48 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Rumours & Speculation & Rants  (Read 21204 times)
chrisale
Historian
Re: Rumours & Speculation & Rants

« Reply #680 on: Jun 13th, 2009, 7:06pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Sometimes it's the simplest searches ("SRY BNSF") that give you the most interesting results:

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?15,1940591

"BNSF and predecessor companies have provided service to a barge slip in the Vancouver harbour for over 70 years. Mainly providing services to pulp mills on the BC coast these barges carry any number of dangerous commodities along with finished product. Changes are in the wind for barge service in the Vancouver area.  

A new barge slip is being built on SRY track on Annacis Island in the Fraser River. The new barge slip will be able to handle most of the rail to barge traffic in the region. With the coming Winter Olympics next February in 2010 one of the security requirements is the removal of dangerous goods being transported by barge past the Vancouver Trade and Convention Center that will house worldwide media during the Olympic Games.  

With an eye to the future and to get a foothold on the Vancouver waterfront SRY bought the business from BNSF. Tuesday May 19 was the first day of operation for SRY crews. Under the guidance of BNSF pilots a pair of SRY SW900's set out from Glen Yard to learn their new chores. "

Many pictures at the link.

:+) :+? :/
------
http://www.murkyview.com
http://www.alberniweather.ca
chrisale
Historian

« Reply #681 on: Jun 13th, 2009, 7:14pm »

Also found this report looking at, and seeming to recommend, a heavy-rail DMU based passenger/commuter service between Langley and Scott Road station on the SRY line.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/515139/DRL-Solutions-Interurban-Report

:+) :+? :/
------
http://www.murkyview.com
http://www.alberniweather.ca
joncalon
Historian

« Reply #682 on: Jun 15th, 2009, 7:42am »

on Jun 13th, 2009, 7:06pm, chrisale wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Sometimes it's the simplest searches ("SRY BNSF") that give you the most interesting results:

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?15,1940591

"BNSF and predecessor companies have provided service to a barge slip in the Vancouver harbour for over 70 years. Mainly providing services to pulp mills on the BC coast these barges carry any number of dangerous commodities along with finished product. Changes are in the wind for barge service in the Vancouver area.  

A new barge slip is being built on SRY track on Annacis Island in the Fraser River. The new barge slip will be able to handle most of the rail to barge traffic in the region. With the coming Winter Olympics next February in 2010 one of the security requirements is the removal of dangerous goods being transported by barge past the Vancouver Trade and Convention Center that will house worldwide media during the Olympic Games.

The winter games aren't that far away...

Is the Annacis barge slip already under construction, and if not, how long will it take to become operational?  The games are not much more than 8 months away and usually these things aren't that quickly built...  Though, I do have to remind myself that Vancouver typically has a 12 month construction season unlike here...

Jon

torch
Historian

« Reply #683 on: Jun 15th, 2009, 11:28pm »

I asked an SRY engineer friend of mine about it.  Hasnt  started being built yet.  He told me location of the proposed slip is going to be the south west  side of alex fraser bridge.  Man,they better get crackin!

Pyronova

View Profile  

« Reply #684 on: Jun 16th, 2009, 2:15pm »

on Jun 15th, 2009, 11:28pm, torch wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I asked an SRY engineer friend of mine about it.  Hasnt  started being built yet.  He told me location of the proposed slip is going to be the south west  side of alex fraser bridge.  Man,they better get crackin!

Err  North West? Annacis Island?

South West of the AFB is the location of the Tilbury slip.....

Moderator of: Mainline - Rail Safety; Regional Areas - British Columbia & Vancouver Island; Fallen Flags - The Milwaukee Road; & Model Railroading - N-Scale .

ENRFAN
Historian

« Reply #685 on: Jun 16th, 2009, 10:29pm »

i heard a rumor today that Seaspan is moving to Dukepoint and Welcox and the whole wharf, Sawmill area will be develoved??

I highly doubt that cash will be provided by the city to move the yard and build a line to dukepoint. I'm all for it if they build a new line and yard to take pictures of. sure would hate to see welcox go.

Any one else heard this rumor or similar??

joncalon
Historian

« Reply #686 on: Jun 16th, 2009, 10:48pm »

on Jun 16th, 2009, 10:29pm, ENRFAN wrote:       (Click here for original message)
i heard a rumor today that Seaspan is moving to Dukepoint and Welcox and the whole wharf, Sawmill area will be develoved??

I highly doubt that cash will be provided by the city to move the yard and build a line to dukepoint. I'm all for it if they build a new line and yard to take pictures of. sure would hate to see welcox go.

Any one else heard this rumor or similar??

I've definitely heard the rumours and wistful thinking of redeveloping Wellcox and having the ferry slip somewhere else (like Crofton where the E&N did have a spur to at one point) that already has a slip.

Duke Point on the other hand is news to me.  Having said that though, are we certain that Seaspan isn't just going to relocate their trailer operations to Duke Point and keep the rail infrastructure at Wellcox?

Jon

andrewjoystick
Railfan

« Reply #687 on: Jun 19th, 2009, 1:52am »

I was talking to a new neighbor today and found out that he just so happens to work for the company that got the contract to construct the new barge slip on Annacis Island. He says that they've been working on it for almost 2 weeks now with dredging almost done and pile driving should start pretty soon. It is in fact being built southwest of the Alex Fraser Bridge.

Pyronova

View Profile  

« Reply #688 on: Jun 19th, 2009, 3:05am »

on Jun 19th, 2009, 1:52am, andrewjoystick wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I was talking to a new neighbor today and found out that he just so happens to work for the company that got the contract to construct the new barge slip on Annacis Island. He says that they've been working on it for almost 2 weeks now with dredging almost done and pile driving should start pretty soon. It is in fact being built southwest of the Alex Fraser Bridge.

You must mean south west of the North end of the Alex Fraser Bridge?

Moderator of: Mainline - Rail Safety; Regional Areas - British Columbia & Vancouver Island; Fallen Flags - The Milwaukee Road; & Model Railroading - N-Scale .

andrewjoystick
Railfan

« Reply #689 on: Jun 19th, 2009, 4:32am »

Now that I've looked at the area in Google Earth, I see what you mean. So it would be west of the Alex Fraser Bridge on the north side of the river (south side of Annacis Island).

« Last Edit: Jun 19th, 2009, 4:40am by andrewjoystick » Logged
Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #690 on: Jun 24th, 2009, 12:14am »

I have been hearing that the E&N Station will stay near the downtown core, either at the Junk buildings beside the current bridge or go up Johnson St.

don432001
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #691 on: Jul 10th, 2009, 10:59am »

Another World - -  

Federal, provincial governments pony up funds for Canadian short-line upgrades
Earlier this week, the Canadian and New Brunswick governments announced plans to provide the New Brunswick Southern Railway up to $18 million to cover half the cost of proposed infrastructure improvements.

The 226-mile short line plans to replace, upgrade and improve rail, ties and bridges, and upgrade terminals in Saint John and McAdam, New Brunswick. The railroad also proposes to upgrade mainlines between Saint John West and the New Brunswick-Maine border, and McAdam and St. Stephen. The short line is the only railroad with direct connections from Atlantic provinces to U.S. northeast markets, according to the New Brunswick Southern Railway.

“In total, this project will deliver an estimated $10.6 million in wages and benefits over the next two years,” said New Brunswick Southern Railway President Jim Irving in a prepared statement. “In addition to sustaining 40 jobs at the railway, we anticipate hiring 35 to 40 people for the duration of this project."

The Canadian and New Brunswick governments “clearly recognize” the importance of short lines to the national and provincial economies, said Cliff Mackay, president and chief executive officer of the Railway Association of Canada (RAC), which represents the interests of more than 50 railroads.

"The RAC encourages other provinces to partner with the federal government and short line railways to invest in short-line infrastructure,” he said.  

thehighwayman
Historian

« Reply #692 on: Jul 10th, 2009, 3:48pm »

on Jul 10th, 2009, 10:59am, don432001 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Another World - -  

Federal, provincial governments pony up funds for Canadian short-line upgrades
---> snip <---
“In total, this project will deliver an estimated $10.6 million in wages and benefits over the next two years,” said New Brunswick Southern Railway President Jim Irving in a prepared statement.  
---> snip <---
and short line railways to invest in short-line infrastructure,” he said.  

The real story is the bit I have left between the two "snips."
The NBSR is owned by the Irving family ....  governments ask "how high" when the Irvings say "jump."

Will

CPRail4744
Historian

« Reply #693 on: Jul 11th, 2009, 3:20am »

...Too bad the Dunsmuir family isn't around to tell the B.C. Liberals to "jump"...

Matt Arnott, Kamloops, B.C.

"I would prefer to see it shipped by train..."
Demian
Enthusiast

« Reply #694 on: Jul 15th, 2009, 6:43pm »

Good day all.

Today the SRVI had two highrails and an excavator working all day on the south side of the Admirals Rd/Colville Rd. crossing next to the dockyard. They appear to have dug out and graded an apx 200 ft long by 10 ft wide swath paralleling the mainline. I am curious to know if anyone knows what this is intended for. It's interesting because about two weeks ago I noticed a group of 5 or 6 MOW personnel surveying in this exact location. Perhaps they are building a platform for the dayliner? Or maybe preparing for some type of heavy offload to the shipyard? Of course this is all speculation on my part. It may in fact amount to nothing. But I am always crossing my fingers for something exciting down here in Victoria to happen.

Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #695 on: Jul 15th, 2009, 7:56pm »

I do know that the Esquimalt Business Assoc. is very supportive of having a rail station near that site. There was an article about a year ago on it.

MinionII
Historian

« Reply #696 on: Jul 15th, 2009, 8:20pm »

Probably something to do with this...

http://www.cordovastation.ca/news/09071506.htm

Demian
Enthusiast

« Reply #697 on: Jul 15th, 2009, 8:26pm »

Thanks for the info Coastrail. The size of the area and location would definitely make sense for a passenger platform.  I will keep an eye on things and see what transpires.

Demian
Enthusiast

« Reply #698 on: Jul 15th, 2009, 8:38pm »

Oops! I missed that last post from Minion. That's the CFAX evidence right there. Well you never know they may also try and put in a passenger platform while all the road construction is going on. It's funny I remember in the early 90's when CP relaid all that area of track including the crossing with continuous welded rail. It was great because there was a work train down in Vic for a week and I remember them dumping ballast and ripping out all the old rails.

CP8673
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #699 on: Jul 15th, 2009, 8:43pm »

on Jul 15th, 2009, 8:20pm, MinionII wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Probably something to do with this...

http://www.cordovastation.ca/news/09071506.htm

Yep it's part of a total re-do of the intersection.  SRY does their part first according to what I read in the Lookout a month or so back.

It has nothing to do with any new platform

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42  ...  48 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »