Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Mar 23rd, 2017, 10:28am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Rumours & Speculation & Rants
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   Rumours & Speculation & Rants
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41  ...  48 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Rumours & Speculation & Rants  (Read 21207 times)
torch
Historian
Re: Rumours & Speculation & Rants
  59.jpg - 46221 Bytes
« Reply #660 on: May 29th, 2009, 5:11am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Showing the track on the barge and its compatibility with the welcox slip (and also the ex-bnsf slip in van)

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/59.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Dayliner
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #661 on: May 29th, 2009, 4:23pm »

I noticed today that Seaspan Doris has moved from Allied Shipyards next door to the Canexus rail slip.

Life without trains? Inconceivable!
joncalon
Historian

« Reply #662 on: May 29th, 2009, 6:59pm »

on May 29th, 2009, 5:07am, torch wrote:       (Click here for original message)
This is for joncalon and anyone who was curious about the compatibility of barge decks between the barge slip downtown van and the welcox slip. It looks as if its been proven already. Im just learning about some of the seaspan barges. The one is this pic i believe is barge 931. I didnt see who the photographer was,sorry.  This is off the superloads website that cn 2141 happened upon. Check it out: Offloading at welcox. I posted this in the thread as a continuation of the rumors regarding whether e&n traffic could in theory be handled from the ex-bnsf slip in downtown vancouver which has 3 straight tracks on the slip.

Thanks a bunch for posting those pics Torch...Certainly answers a few questions to say the least!

Now, would Seaspan start using the barges to transfer stuff between Wellcox and Downtown or continue using the Carrier Princess and Princess Superior?

Jon

torch
Historian

« Reply #663 on: May 29th, 2009, 9:32pm »

Yeah I was pretty surprised to find out there was barges with only one  track entering the barge and then splitting out 5 ways. Looks like a small railyard!   Im not sure what is  gonna happen but i wouldnt be surprised if they keep using tilbury for a spell.  Its so hard to find out whats really going on these days with railways even if one  knows employees. They keep hush. And  I guess it has some merrit to it,what with all us "crazy railfans".. haha. jkng.   The latest I heard confirmed is that the ex-bnsf slip in downtown vancouver is now owned by southern railway of vancouver island.. Not just SRY.  I found that interesting. I wonder what changes they have made to the Doris,if any.

CN7059
Historian

« Reply #664 on: Jun 9th, 2009, 11:50pm »

on May 18th, 2009, 1:12am, missthealcos wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I've also heard this rumour about SRY buying RDC's, and that they are from Via, and include the Sudbury-White river cars(lots of use for an RDC-4 on the Island!),  which makes not alot of sense....but the version I heard also included something about the White River train being converted to conventional.  I'm not one for rumours, and never believe anything railway until I see it, but I have heard this one. Me thinks if there is any truth at all to it, that it has gone through a few speculative "revisions", which many railfans are famous for.  

I think for now, all that can really be figured from it is that SRY may have purchased some RDC's from somewhere, and the E&N would be the logical reason..but even then,  commuter service in the valley is also reasonable speculation...if they want to try and run commuter on the valley line, RDC's are the way to do it, without spending a fortune on all form and no function right off the bat.

Not trying to fuel the fires of rumour, however, I have heard from a knowledgeable source (someone who works in the field) that SRY has indeed purchased several RDCs. (<== fact)  

They did not specifically mention how they would be used, however, I presumed from our conversation that they will be used on the island (<== speculation).

« Last Edit: Jun 9th, 2009, 11:55pm by CN7059 » Logged

Grant Williamson, Saanich BC

chrisale
Historian

« Reply #665 on: Jun 10th, 2009, 12:15am »

on Jun 9th, 2009, 11:50pm, CN7059 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Not trying to fuel the fires of rumour, however, I have heard from a knowledgeable source (someone who works in the field) that SRY has indeed purchased several RDCs. (<== fact)  

They did not specifically mention how they would be used, however, I presumed from our conversation that they will be used on the island (<== speculation).

I went noodling around the Washington Group website... and came upon this description of their "Transportation" services.

Transportation

"Some of the most visible operations of The Washington Companies are in freight transportation throughout the Pacific Northwest and Rocky Mountain region. Montana Rail Link operates the southern rail route across Montana. Southern Railway of British Columbia is a major link between port facilities and transcontinental railroads, and Southern Railway of Vancouver Island provides contracted passenger rail service on Vancouver Island. The Washington Marine Group of companies, a Canadian consortium led by Seaspan International Ltd., is integral to the commerce of British Columbia, supplying ship building and repair services, commercial ferry service, and coastal tug and barge transportation. The Washington Companies' extensive involvement in the transportation industry demonstrates a commitment to serving industries that require a dependable partner to get their products to market. "

and inside:

"Southern Railway of British Columbia Limited (SRY) is a regional railroad in the B.C. Lower Mainland handling over 73,000 carloads annually. The line services New Westminster through the Fraser Valley to Chilliwack. SRY owns over 125 miles of track, of which 75 miles are mainline, and interchanges at six locations with three North American Class I railroads: Canadian Pacific, Canadian National and BNSF. A subsidiary, Southern Railway of Vancouver Island, operates scheduled intercity passenger service from Victoria to Courtenay on behalf of VIA Rail Inc.

If this is a reflection of their own perception of SVI then...?

« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2009, 12:19am by chrisale » Logged

:+) :+? :/
------
http://www.murkyview.com
http://www.alberniweather.ca
vicguy
Historian

« Reply #666 on: Jun 10th, 2009, 12:24am »

on Jun 10th, 2009, 12:15am, chrisale wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I think they forgot to mention something........

Chris

click here for E&N and other rail photos

Rail videos here
Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #667 on: Jun 10th, 2009, 12:58am »

At this point, until the E&N Study is completed in September. Thats Phase One of the study. Phase Two of the study will depend on results of Phase One. Then between now and then, its going to be a waiting game.  

The hiring of Graham Bruce as new head of the ICF and rumors of SRY buying RDCs for use in BC sure add fuel to the fire.

« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2009, 12:59am by Aaron Lypkie » Logged
don432001
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #668 on: Jun 10th, 2009, 1:50am »

My, my, our federal government seems to have deep pockets for some railways but probably the Manitoba government was on side.

Canada's Keewatin Railway obtains federal funds to upgrade passenger service
The Canadian government recently announced it will provide $5.2 million in federal funding for the Keewatin Railway Co., a passenger and freight railroad owned and operated by three First Nations communities. The railroad will use the funds to improve passenger-rail service between The Pas and Pukatawagan, Manitoba.  

Keewatin Railway will use $4.1 million in Economic Action Plan funds to rehabilitate track, acquire a locomotive and other rail equipment, and construct a locomotive repair facility in The Pas and a new station in Pukatawagan. The railroad also will use $1.1 million from Transport Canada's Regional and Remote Passenger Rail Service Class Contribution Program to replace ties and culverts.

cobblehillian
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #669 on: Jun 10th, 2009, 12:34pm »

Comparing the Manitoba line to  the E&N is comparing apples and oranges.  The Manitoba rail leads to a very isolated region without all weather roads.

Before a lot of the mines closed the tri-weekly mixed train would often consist of 100 hopper cars with a coal heated CN combine or coach on the rear.  There were usually more passengers to The Pas than would ride the daily Malahat.

The line is no longer supported by the mines so the Feds must step in owing to the social necessity (there is a legal definition) of ensuring transportation services to an isolated community.

ENRFAN
Historian

« Reply #670 on: Jun 10th, 2009, 8:55pm »

The money to be given to a rail service in that cause is a good use. I grew up in a very small isolated town that had one way in and one way out. If the road went out of service (and some times it did) things had to be flown in or brought by boat. So i support that.

But what i can't stand is the millions of dollars spent building trails next to the E&N! All the money in the last few years spent on those trails alone could have fixed the rails by now.  
 If the different city's paid to have there part of the line fixed the cost could be shared. All of the city's served by the line would benifit.  
the highways are getting very busy, and expanding highways would cost alot more then upgrading the rail bed.

anyways thats my rant  

Rails not trails.
I like trails don't get me wrong, i just like rails more.

Pyronova

View Profile  

« Reply #671 on: Jun 11th, 2009, 3:27am »

on Jun 10th, 2009, 12:15am, chrisale wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I went noodling around the Washington Group website... and came upon this description of their "Transportation" services.

Transportation

"Some of the most visible operations of The Washington Companies are in freight transportation throughout the Pacific Northwest and Rocky Mountain region. Montana Rail Link operates the southern rail route across Montana. Southern Railway of British Columbia is a major link between port facilities and transcontinental railroads, and Southern Railway of Vancouver Island provides contracted passenger rail service on Vancouver Island. The Washington Marine Group of companies, a Canadian consortium led by Seaspan International Ltd., is integral to the commerce of British Columbia, supplying ship building and repair services, commercial ferry service, and coastal tug and barge transportation. The Washington Companies' extensive involvement in the transportation industry demonstrates a commitment to serving industries that require a dependable partner to get their products to market. "

and inside:

"Southern Railway of British Columbia Limited (SRY) is a regional railroad in the B.C. Lower Mainland handling over 73,000 carloads annually. The line services New Westminster through the Fraser Valley to Chilliwack. SRY owns over 125 miles of track, of which 75 miles are mainline, and interchanges at six locations with three North American Class I railroads: Canadian Pacific, Canadian National and BNSF. A subsidiary, Southern Railway of Vancouver Island, operates scheduled intercity passenger service from Victoria to Courtenay on behalf of VIA Rail Inc.

This has been on their site for well over a year......

Moderator of: Mainline - Rail Safety; Regional Areas - British Columbia & Vancouver Island; Fallen Flags - The Milwaukee Road; & Model Railroading - N-Scale .

Pyronova

View Profile  

« Reply #672 on: Jun 11th, 2009, 3:35am »

on Jun 9th, 2009, 11:50pm, CN7059 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

One should not forget the large push to return passenger service from Chilliwack to Surrey/New Westminster.

I would speculate that this run may be a more likely scenario for the purchased RDCs (btw which RDCs have been purchased and where are they now?).   More population....
BTW where are the Coal Gons we saw in New West marked SRY and whats going on with the supposed coal mining ops on the Island?

Moderator of: Mainline - Rail Safety; Regional Areas - British Columbia & Vancouver Island; Fallen Flags - The Milwaukee Road; & Model Railroading - N-Scale .

cobblehillian
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #673 on: Jun 11th, 2009, 2:31pm »

I have heard from an SRY senior executive and a middle manager that ICF and SRY would like to take over passenger operations from VIA.  This appears to make business sense if the railway is to move away from strictly tourism and toward being one of the Island's transportation solutions.  

An additional factor at play here is the retention of the funds by the SRY and ICF that  go off Island with the present VIA arrangements.  Having that money here might make passenger service viability a little bit more possible.

This brings up some interesting questions.  With the exception of regional commuter operations and tourist operations (e.g.Rocky Mountaineer) are other passenger rail operators free to operate in Canada when and where they want?  I'm not sure what the legislation says, and, will it have to be changed?

Presently the VIA fare structure, reservation, and ticketing system are geared to tourism through a heavy bias for advance ticket purchase by credit card.  Impulse non reservation riders, the kind you want to capture in a transportation system, are discouraged because the immediate use purchase price is so high.  As well, VIA has been discouraging impulse riders by stopping the sale of tickets 5-10 minutes in advance of train departure.!!!  In VIA's ideal world there would be no ticket purchase at the station before departure.  All tickets would be purchased on-line at a minimum of 2 weeks before travel. Additionally, I do not think that VIA has any discounted multiple ride or reduced fare commuter tickets.

MinionII
Historian

« Reply #674 on: Jun 11th, 2009, 7:43pm »

Man that fee structure is backwards...the tickets sold immediately prior to departure should be discounted to fill any remaining seats after the reservations/advance ticket seats are filled.

You would think that VIA doesn't want to provide service on the Island...

torch
Historian

« Reply #675 on: Jun 12th, 2009, 7:00am »

So my speculation about SRY really getting into the passenger biz might not be too far off the mark after all!    I've been hearing various rumblings about this and many other things SRY from over on this side in  Vancouver. Mark my words  SRY is really trying to have a viable go at reviving things both on the island AND in the lower mainland. They just took over operations in downtown from BNSF and besides switching the barge they have taken over a dwntown freight customer and already have a brand new customer setting up shop in false creek flats! All this after only a few weeks. With the new barge slip being built and the ex-bnsf slip the possiblilities for the island's rail  look to be promising.     Finally.

andrewjoystick
Railfan

« Reply #676 on: Jun 12th, 2009, 1:20pm »

If all this talk about SRY buying RDC's and taking over passenger operations is true then it would be interesting to see what an RDC would look like in SRY paint.

torch
Historian

« Reply #677 on: Jun 12th, 2009, 3:43pm »

It'd  probably look close to  a BC RAIL  rdc.

Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #678 on: Jun 12th, 2009, 9:23pm »

Well I heard SRY is going after the maintenance contract for the RDCs, which expires this year. So perhaps all this leading up to something.

chrisale
Historian

« Reply #679 on: Jun 13th, 2009, 12:45am »

on Jun 11th, 2009, 3:35am, Pyronova wrote:       (Click here for original message)

BTW where are the Coal Gons we saw in New West marked SRY and whats going on with the supposed coal mining ops on the Island?

On point 2:

http://www.complianceenergy.com/news/press_releases/PDFs/09_05_26_PR.pdf

"Vancouver, B.C., May 26, 2009
Compliance Coal Corporation dba Comox Joint Venture (“CJV”) has just received an exploration permit from BC’s Ministry of Energy Mines and Petroleum Resources to drill up to 53 holes (15,000 meters) on the Raven Underground Coal Project.  

The primary objective of this year’s exploration program is to increase the 39.0 million tonnes of  
measured and indicated resources by upgrading the 59.0 million tonnes of inferred resources. In addition, extensive coal quality sampling and testing will be conducted including washability, carbonization, and petrographic tests. The Raven Coal deposit is inherently a High Volatile A Bituminous metallurgical coal and the testing will help determine the ultimate wash plant process and forecasted plant yield and the coal’s suitability for sale on the international metallurgical, thermal and PCI coal markets. In addition, this summer’s program will include hydrogeological sampling including the installation of six piezometers and two pump tests. Gas desorption canisters and geotechnical samples will also be taken to assist in mine design.  

In addition to this summer’s exploration program, the CJV has also hired AMEC Earth and Environmental to prepare an environmental assessment on the project. AMEC has initiated its environmental baseline monitoring including hydrology, surface water quality, wildlife, and fisheries. The CJV expects to file a project description with BC’s Environmental Assessment Office in June 2009 and is targeting to file an application for an environmental assessment certificate in the second quarter of 2010.  

All of the activities leading up to a production decision will be funded from the $7.0 million held in the CJV’s bank account. "

:+) :+? :/
------
http://www.murkyview.com
http://www.alberniweather.ca
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41  ...  48 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »