Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Mar 22nd, 2017, 6:05pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Rumours & Speculation & Rants
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   Rumours & Speculation & Rants
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40  ...  48 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Rumours & Speculation & Rants  (Read 21192 times)
Aaron Lypkie
Historian
Re: Rumours & Speculation & Rants

« Reply #640 on: May 23rd, 2009, 3:26am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

there is always the possibility of putting a new transit hub on the site of the current health foods warehouse. You know that triangular piece of land just before Esquimalt Rd goes under the rail bridge.

cobblehillian
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #641 on: May 23rd, 2009, 12:36pm »

We should be focused on ensuring the line continues to go downtown., There is no alternative to that.  Any other approach will diminish ridership.  You go to where the greatest number of people wish to go.  That may mean pushing rail to Douglas street.  Let's fight and plan for rail's best advantage.

Usually, the second most attractive aspect of rail use after speed/time is downtown access.  There are very few North American cities, excepting some western Canadian ones, that in modern times have removed rail entry to centre city.  In Canada we had a Federal program to remove downtown rail used, most notably, in Edmonton and Saskatoon.  This is now recognized as a short sighted failure because of the lost heavy rail commuter capacity or light rail conversion potential.

There are few other N.Am. cities without downtown rail.  Detroit is the only one that comes to mind.  Rail commuting is near impossible and non expandable there.  Buses must meet every incoming train.  The commute home is the worst - getting first to the bus.

Loss of downtown access is loss of the rail advantage.  Make the trip seamless anything less is at best, 2nd best.

Transit planners would think we have rocks in our head for even entertaining a notion where the majority of commuter rail users begin or end each trip with a bus.  The one vehicle aspect of a commuter trip is extremely important.

« Last Edit: May 23rd, 2009, 2:51pm by cobblehillian » Logged
Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #642 on: May 24th, 2009, 12:38am »

on May 23rd, 2009, 12:36pm, cobblehillian wrote:       (Click here for original message)
We should be focused on ensuring the line continues to go downtown., There is no alternative to that.  Any other approach will diminish ridership.  You go to where the greatest number of people wish to go.  That may mean pushing rail to Douglas street.  Let's fight and plan for rail's best advantage.

Usually, the second most attractive aspect of rail use after speed/time is downtown access.  There are very few North American cities, excepting some western Canadian ones, that in modern times have removed rail entry to centre city.  In Canada we had a Federal program to remove downtown rail used, most notably, in Edmonton and Saskatoon.  This is now recognized as a short sighted failure because of the lost heavy rail commuter capacity or light rail conversion potential.

There are few other N.Am. cities without downtown rail.  Detroit is the only one that comes to mind.  Rail commuting is near impossible and non expandable there.  Buses must meet every incoming train.  The commute home is the worst - getting first to the bus.

Loss of downtown access is loss of the rail advantage.  Make the trip seamless anything less is at best, 2nd best.

Transit planners would think we have rocks in our head for even entertaining a notion where the majority of commuter rail users begin or end each trip with a bus.  The one vehicle aspect of a commuter trip is extremely important.

Oh I completely agree with what you said. Someone on a letter to the editor (TC I think), suggested the E&N Tracks should stop in Langford and have bus or light rail take passengers the rest of the way. A stupid idea, in my view, and what would be the point? Making the commuting journey seamless is essential if we are to revamp our cities.

Speeder
Historian

« Reply #643 on: May 24th, 2009, 2:56am »

on May 24th, 2009, 12:38am, Coastrail wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Oh I completely agree with what you said. Someone on a letter to the editor (TC I think), suggested the E&N Tracks should stop in Langford and have bus or light rail take passengers the rest of the way. A stupid idea, in my view, and what would be the point? Making the commuting journey seamless is essential if we are to revamp our cities.

The motive would likely be the "rails-to-trails" lobby.

Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #644 on: May 24th, 2009, 3:16pm »

on May 24th, 2009, 2:56am, Speeder wrote:       (Click here for original message)

The motive would likely be the "rails-to-trails" lobby.

I don't think the writer was connected to the bike lobby.

torch
Historian

« Reply #645 on: May 24th, 2009, 10:27pm »

anybody know  about a  gravel reload spur being built somewhere in langford? this is  a rumor i just heard in addition to the 'sry buying RDCs' rumor. and yes,i realize that years ago people were talking about the possiblilty of gravel trains but this is a new rumor.    Anyone?

vicguy
Historian

« Reply #646 on: May 24th, 2009, 11:05pm »

Torch, I heard that Stu Young bought a piece of property north of Jacklin Road to be used as a gravel trans-load. There is a new industrial park along the E&N just before Humpback Road and there is a large empty lot right beside the tracks, maybe that's going to be it?

Chris

click here for E&N and other rail photos

Rail videos here
endivision
Historian

« Reply #647 on: May 24th, 2009, 11:57pm »

on May 24th, 2009, 10:27pm, torch wrote:       (Click here for original message)
anybody know  about a  gravel reload spur being built somewhere in langford? this is  a rumor i just heard in addition to the 'sry buying RDCs' rumor. and yes,i realize that years ago people were talking about the possiblilty of gravel trains but this is a new rumor.    Anyone?

Torch:
I have asked the question to some SVI employees about the spur, and they have not heard anything about any plans. If there is any plans they are being tight lipped and I guess we will have to wait to see if any construction takes place. But, I can't see SVI doing anything until they get a long term contract in place,first.

Save E&N Railway History
torch
Historian

« Reply #648 on: May 25th, 2009, 1:13am »

True.  Like I said. Its only  a rumor that I heard  but  an interesting one. Ans I think its feasible.  Tight-lippedness I can see as  well   as nobody knew that SRY was taking over BNSF trackage downtown Vancouver so they could have immediate ferry access via the old bn barge slip. And yet it happened  and  from what Im now hearing it involved an agreement and a hefty sum. I would surmise that things are  really cooking now. Wouldnt be  surprised to see an SRY agreement in the near future that goes beyond three years.  SRY guys that I know  havent heard about a LOT of  happenings that came about.

vicguy
Historian

« Reply #649 on: May 25th, 2009, 1:31am »

on May 25th, 2009, 1:13am, torch wrote:       (Click here for original message)
. I would surmise that things are  really cooking now.

I hope you're right! It does seem like everything is coming together, SRY/SVI are doing the right things.  

Chris

click here for E&N and other rail photos

Rail videos here
torch
Historian

« Reply #650 on: May 25th, 2009, 5:26am »

It sure does, Vic guy. Keep them fingers  crossed. Im still waiting on the word of wheter or not e&n traffic will commence barging out from downtown van. Some fans think that wont happen until the annacis slip is built. Fair speculation but from what Im hearing on the buzz is that SRY is not looking at downtown van/burrard barge slip as  temporary. We'll see.

SRY1202
Railfan

« Reply #651 on: May 25th, 2009, 11:44am »

I think it's common sense to look at the downtown barge slip as more than temporary. If you don't have to spend 11 million dollars to build a new one then why do it? It would cost considerably less for Seaspan to add new track arrangements to their rail barges than it would cost to build a slip.

joncalon
Historian

« Reply #652 on: May 25th, 2009, 7:31pm »

on May 25th, 2009, 11:44am, CN7303 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I think it's common sense to look at the downtown barge slip as more than temporary. If you don't have to spend 11 million dollars to build a new one then why do it? It would cost considerably less for Seaspan to add new track arrangements to their rail barges than it would cost to build a slip.

You make a good point, though I'd have to ask if the trackage to reach the slip would have any bearing on the decision to build on Annacis or not.  Yes, SRY is servicing the barge slip, but who exactly owns the trackage leading to it?  Did BNSF sell the trackage to SRY or are they maintaining ownership and giving SRY the trackage rights?

At least on Annacis Island, all the trackage is owned by SRY and thus there wouldn't be any legal/cost ramifications, like who the traffic would have to be routed through from beyond the slip...

Jon

cn2220
Historian

« Reply #653 on: May 25th, 2009, 8:21pm »

on May 25th, 2009, 7:31pm, joncalon wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Yes, SRY is servicing the barge slip, but who exactly owns the trackage leading to it?  
Jon

The BI line is joint BNSF-CN trackage.

« Last Edit: May 25th, 2009, 8:23pm by cn2220 » Logged

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
torch
Historian

« Reply #654 on: May 27th, 2009, 2:49am »

Is the  b.i. line  really  joint owned by cn/bn ?  Thought I heard someone else say that too. Now how come w.c.e moves to and from the via maintainence center seemed to only ever ask for Bnsf pilots? Probably a question for  a different  forum, huh..  lol  still curious. Tyler?

CPR_9199
Banned User
Railfan
View Profile  

more RDCs for the island

« Reply #655 on: May 27th, 2009, 3:35am »

I was reading on a website last night they are looking to purchase 8 more rdcs from irsi to be refurbished and used on Vancouver Island and in other parts of Canada.

torch
Historian

« Reply #656 on: May 27th, 2009, 6:53am »

SRY apparently did buy trackage from BNSF. Exactly how much of the track I do not know.  I hope to hear details soon but it was a decent sum of money.

cn2220
Historian

« Reply #657 on: May 27th, 2009, 9:58pm »

on May 27th, 2009, 2:49am, torch wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Is the  b.i. line  really  joint owned by cn/bn ?  Thought I heard someone else say that too. Now how come w.c.e moves to and from the via maintainence center seemed to only ever ask for Bnsf pilots?

Easy, because CN tells CP/WCE where to stick it, they're not going to pay a hogger 8 hours for the few minutes it takes to pilot the deadhead move. BNSF is alot easier to deal with than CN.

« Last Edit: May 27th, 2009, 10:00pm by cn2220 » Logged

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
torch
Historian

« Reply #658 on: May 28th, 2009, 5:47am »

Ahh.  Cool,  thanks Tyler.  I appreciate the info.

torch
Historian
  58-2.jpg - 58434 Bytes
« Reply #659 on: May 29th, 2009, 5:07am »

This is for joncalon and anyone who was curious about the compatibility of barge decks between the barge slip downtown van and the welcox slip. It looks as if its been proven already. Im just learning about some of the seaspan barges. The one is this pic i believe is barge 931. I didnt see who the photographer was,sorry.  This is off the superloads website that cn 2141 happened upon. Check it out: Offloading at welcox. I posted this in the thread as a continuation of the rumors regarding whether e&n traffic could in theory be handled from the ex-bnsf slip in downtown vancouver which has 3 straight tracks on the slip.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/58-2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: May 29th, 2009, 11:24am by torch » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40  ...  48 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »