Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 17th, 2017, 11:51pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Rumours & Speculation & Rants
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   Rumours & Speculation & Rants
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39  ...  48 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Rumours & Speculation & Rants  (Read 21738 times)
joncalon
Historian
Re: Rumours & Speculation & Rants

« Reply #620 on: May 17th, 2009, 1:23am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on May 17th, 2009, 1:09am, torch wrote:       (Click here for original message)
SRY in the passenger biz? haw..  but hey, stranger things have happened... ie, SRY on the ISLAND.

In actuality, SRY is in the passenger biz.  They're operating the VIA RDC's on the island under contract to VIA.  The only VIA employee on the island is the ticket agent in Victoria.

And as to the rumours, I know I've heard Jack Peake that he's wanting VIA to give the ICF their funding for the RDC's and then hand the entire shebang over to the ICF to run the trains the way the ICF wants to.  And that would definitely mean the morning train from Victoria to Courtenay and the afternoon train back down will either be eliminated and replaced with more service centering on Nanaimo, or supplementing the existing schedule with other runs.  

I personally love the idea of what they're wanting to schedule, but to date, the problems have been funding, funding and funding.

Unless the BC Liberals are going to finally open up their wallet and hand the ICF their portion of the upgrades, I have my doubts that we're gonna see those extra RDC's out to the island.  I know the IRSI folks have RDC's ready to refurbish, and likely where the SRY would get them from.

Jon

torch
Historian
  transfer.jpg - 46848 Bytes
« Reply #621 on: May 17th, 2009, 3:48am »

Good breakdown. Makes sense.  I dont really get too riled up over the  rumors  and my comment about 'sry in the passenger biz' was more humor based than anything. I do realize they run the dayliner already.  As for the barge slip scenario  I already posted that the two slips do not match up. Some bagres/ships,however, have a track layout that enables them to service both types of slips. This involves having two extra switches on the bridge deck , similar to the one in this pic.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/transfer.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: May 17th, 2009, 4:51pm by torch » Logged
Dayliner
Historian
View Profile  

2009-05-17.Seapsan_Doris._North_Vancouver_2_844x633.jpg - 109092 Bytes
« Reply #622 on: May 17th, 2009, 7:50pm »

To add fuel to the fires of speculation . . .  .  Here's a picture taken this afternoon of dear old Doris at Allied Shipyards in North Vancouver, where's she's been for three or four weeks now.  I don't know what exactly is been done to her, but I have seen welding taking place on the main deck.  I'm speculating that perhaps the track arrangement is being modified precisely as shown the picture in the previous post.  That would make her able to serve both the Vancouver and Wellcox slips.

Torch, your post couldn't have been more timely.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Vancouver/2009-05-17.Seapsan_Doris._North_Vancouver_2_844x633.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Life without trains? Inconceivable!
torch
Historian

« Reply #623 on: May 17th, 2009, 11:37pm »

Nice pic!   I saw the Doris  down there  yesterday too  and was  wondering what was going on with her.  She is my  favorite coastal rail/truck ferry.

missthealcos
Historian

« Reply #624 on: May 18th, 2009, 1:12am »

I've also heard this rumour about SRY buying RDC's, and that they are from Via, and include the Sudbury-White river cars(lots of use for an RDC-4 on the Island!),  which makes not alot of sense....but the version I heard also included something about the White River train being converted to conventional.  I'm not one for rumours, and never believe anything railway until I see it, but I have heard this one. Me thinks if there is any truth at all to it, that it has gone through a few speculative "revisions", which many railfans are famous for.  

I think for now, all that can really be figured from it is that SRY may have purchased some RDC's from somewhere, and the E&N would be the logical reason..but even then,  commuter service in the valley is also reasonable speculation...if they want to try and run commuter on the valley line, RDC's are the way to do it, without spending a fortune on all form and no function right off the bat.

Other than IRSI, which would be the most obvious source for well rebuilt cars, there are, as far as I know,  still 3 or 4 sitting at the TMC, which did belong to farmrail, but never went anywhere (6130 being part of the group to farmrail, and only one to go anywhere, last pic I saw of it, it had finally been stripped of all of it's Via identity, including the stripes), and there is also the IRSI demonstrator. Hmm, who knows! Then of course there are the ones that went to Texas, which, if they're for sale, would make an awful lot of sense for service in the valley, and the E&N.

« Last Edit: May 18th, 2009, 1:21am by missthealcos » Logged
Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #625 on: May 18th, 2009, 1:31am »

on May 18th, 2009, 1:12am, missthealcos wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I've also heard this rumour about SRY buying RDC's, and that they are from Via, and include the Sudbury-White river cars(lots of use for an RDC-4 on the Island!),  which makes not alot of sense....but the version I heard also included something about the White River train being converted to conventional.  I'm not one for rumours, and never believe anything railway until I see it, but I have heard this one. Me thinks if there is any truth at all to it, that it has gone through a few speculative "revisions", which many railfans are famous for.  

I think for now, all that can really be figured from it is that SRY may have purchased some RDC's from somewhere, and the E&N would be the logical reason..but even then,  commuter service in the valley is also reasonable speculation...if they want to try and run commuter on the valley line, RDC's are the way to do it, without spending a fortune on all form and no function right off the bat.

Other than IRSI, which would be the most obvious source for well rebuilt cars, there are, as far as I know,  still 3 or 4 sitting at the TMC, which did belong to farmrail, but never went anywhere (6130 being part of the group to farmrail, and only one to go anywhere, last pic I saw of it, it had finally been stripped of all of it's Via identity, including the stripes), and there is also the IRSI demonstrator. Hmm, who knows! Then of course there are the ones that went to Texas, which, if they're for sale, would make an awful lot of sense for service in the valley, and the E&N.

That is interesting, and to add to the speculation. I am sure we are all interested to know what the E&N Study (being done by the Ministry of Transportation) results are going to be.

chrisale
Historian

« Reply #626 on: May 18th, 2009, 4:27pm »

Can someone remind me when the fabled "E&N Study" is slated to be shelved tabled?

:+) :+? :/
------
http://www.murkyview.com
http://www.alberniweather.ca
Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #627 on: May 18th, 2009, 8:09pm »

on May 18th, 2009, 4:27pm, chrisale wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Can someone remind me when the fabled "E&N Study" is slated to be shelved tabled?

I heard it is to be completed in september

torch
Historian

« Reply #628 on: May 19th, 2009, 4:11pm »

SRY took over BNSF's downtown and barge operations in vancouver today. Lets hope this bodes well for the future of the e&n. SRY really must be serious about the island.

chrisale
Historian

« Reply #629 on: May 20th, 2009, 1:03am »

Maybe it has something to do with that coal company wanting to move coal out of the Cumberland/Buckley Bay area.

I did a little digging last weekend and posted some more information about the coal finds on my blog.

Coal Trains still coming to Vancouver Island?

:+) :+? :/
------
http://www.murkyview.com
http://www.alberniweather.ca
cn2220
Historian

« Reply #630 on: May 20th, 2009, 1:49am »

Interesting article in the Alberni Valley Times

http://www2.canada.com/albernivalleytimes/news/story.html?id=12afb6bc-8c5c-4866-8fdb-46ac5b354187

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
ENR3005
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #631 on: May 20th, 2009, 1:55am »

on May 17th, 2009, 7:50pm, Dayliner wrote:       (Click here for original message)
To add fuel to the fires of speculation . . .  .  Here's a picture taken this afternoon of dear old Doris at Allied Shipyards in North Vancouver, where's she's been for three or four weeks now.  I don't know what exactly is been done to her, but I have seen welding taking place on the main deck.  I'm speculating that perhaps the track arrangement is being modified precisely as shown the picture in the previous post.  That would make her able to serve both the Vancouver and Wellcox slips.

Torch, your post couldn't have been more timely.

I also have seen the welding being done while visiting a project in the area. I have not been able to get close enough to see what is being done however I suspect that the track layout is being modified, probally to a similar layout that the Haida Transporter used which was able to work both slips.

vanislrailway
Railfan

« Reply #632 on: May 21st, 2009, 9:23pm »

MAJOR CHANGE IN STORE FOR VICTORIA RAIL TERMINAL

http://www.cfax1070.com/newsstory.php?newsId=9142

Looks like its decided it will be moved.

I am interested in learning and preserving the history of the railway on Vancouver Island. With a lot of the History taken away we must work hard to insure our kids have the ability to watch and ride the rails we have left and enjoy seeing so much.
cn2220
Historian

« Reply #633 on: May 22nd, 2009, 12:22am »

on May 21st, 2009, 9:23pm, vanislrailway wrote:       (Click here for original message)
MAJOR CHANGE IN STORE FOR VICTORIA RAIL TERMINAL

http://www.cfax1070.com/newsstory.php?newsId=9142

Looks like its decided it will be moved.

While it sucks that the depot will be moved, the current depot would not work well for commuter rail. Heck, Pacific Wilderness had a hell of a time with the downtown station. Remember the trains stretched out over bridge?  

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
tfctrains
Historian

« Reply #634 on: May 22nd, 2009, 1:52am »

on May 22nd, 2009, 12:22am, bcr4604 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

While it sucks that the depot will be moved, the current depot would not work well for commuter rail. Heck, Pacific Wilderness had a hell of a time with the downtown station. Remember the trains stretched out over bridge?  

It more than sucks, it is a pee poor idea. I was a member of the E&N Steering Committe of the day that fought to have the E&N station moved back downtown from Esquimalt, it made a big difference in ridership. People did not have to find there way out to the station in Esquimalt, people could see and hear the train, it is a form of free adervertising. I believe that it will be a big mistaken.

Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #635 on: May 22nd, 2009, 12:47pm »

The mayor wants to see the station moved closer to Douglas St.

cobblehillian
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #636 on: May 22nd, 2009, 12:49pm »

Downtown access is just as important to intra Island passengers as commuters.  Removing downtown passenger rail access in this day and age is indefensible and very wrong headed.
Any forward looking enlightened council would fight this tooth and nail.

The E&N property is worth its weight in gold to the Island.  It connects with 85-90% of the population.

All of us should be working to ensure this does not happen.  I am sure the ICF can and does have something to say.  The City of Victoria should not be able to take the biggest diamond out of the crown while everybody else watches.

Speeder
Historian

« Reply #637 on: May 22nd, 2009, 1:51pm »

Re moving the downtown station:

I could see this coming a mile away. I think we're going to have to face the simple fact that a new bridge with the railway will be more expensive than one without. Guess which option the city will likely opt for?

Let's be realistic and look and the road-only bridge scenario. As bad as that may seem, what would be far worse would be falling back to the station at, or near its old location back in the '70s (near the roundhouse by Catherine St.).  

If there is to be a road-only bridge (and I hope this is not the case), then it is essential to have a fall-back position. This would be a new station only a few metres to the west of the new bridge. At least then it would literally be only a stone's throw from the old Pandora station site.

We could potentially lose all of the right of way from the roundhouse to the bridge, if the station gets relocated back in the old yards. And I'm sure some developers would find this new land of considerable use

« Last Edit: May 22nd, 2009, 1:53pm by Speeder » Logged
cn2220
Historian

« Reply #638 on: May 22nd, 2009, 5:24pm »

My thinking was if you move the station to the Vic West side of the bridge(not necessarily by the roundhouse) there would be more room to include a transit exchange. However if the mayor wants to move the station up to Douglas St that would work too, most of the transit routes use Douglas st. But I just don't see trains running up and down Pandora any time soon.

« Last Edit: May 22nd, 2009, 5:26pm by cn2220 » Logged

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
CP8673
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #639 on: May 23rd, 2009, 2:19am »

on May 22nd, 2009, 5:24pm, bcr4604 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
My thinking was if you move the station to the Vic West side of the bridge(not necessarily by the roundhouse) there would be more room to include a transit exchange. However if the mayor wants to move the station up to Douglas St that would work too, most of the transit routes use Douglas st. But I just don't see trains running up and down Pandora any time soon.

I would agree with this.  Station just on the other side of the bridge and set it up so the rail bridge can be added if/when commuter service requires it

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39  ...  48 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »