Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 21st, 2017, 4:20am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Rumours & Speculation & Rants
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   Rumours & Speculation & Rants
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38  ...  48 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Rumours & Speculation & Rants  (Read 21717 times)
torch
Historian
Re: Rumours & Speculation & Rants

« Reply #600 on: Apr 26th, 2009, 4:13am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Hey guys.  torch here   reporting from the mainland. Listen. SRY is rumored to be going ahead with their new barge facitlity on Annacis and its no real secret that in the meantime they are looking at using BNSF's downtown vancouver barge slip which currently services the coastal mills that ship by rail. They apparently would be shipping the e&n bound cars by way of the BNSF slip which would eliminate the need for the tilbury headache as its become a real problem for shipping times and money-wise to have to rely on cp,cn and bn to get the cars to tilbury slip and back. SRY would as well be handling the mill traffic that BN has held onto for so long. If this happens  soon,which it is rumored to, I will definately get some fotos of 'incoming e&n frieghts' in the downtown van area. It will be sad as  a railfan to not have BNSF downtown anymore but SRY could shake things up a bit in the exciting depeartment. What this all means is that  SRY will finally have a 'direct' route to the e&n which could spell new traffic as potential customers on the island would be able to rely on having thier goods arrive in a more timely fashion. Anyhow, chew on that, dicuss if you will. It apparently really is going down any day now.

« Last Edit: Apr 26th, 2009, 4:18am by torch » Logged
Speeder
Historian

« Reply #601 on: Apr 26th, 2009, 11:31am »

on Apr 26th, 2009, 4:13am, torch wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hey guys.  torch here   reporting from the mainland. Listen. SRY is rumored to be going ahead with their new barge facitlity on Annacis and its no real secret that in the meantime they are looking at using BNSF's downtown vancouver barge slip which currently services the coastal mills that ship by rail. They apparently would be shipping the e&n bound cars by way of the BNSF slip which would eliminate the need for the tilbury headache as its become a real problem for shipping times and money-wise to have to rely on cp,cn and bn to get the cars to tilbury slip and back. SRY would as well be handling the mill traffic that BN has held onto for so long. If this happens  soon,which it is rumored to, I will definately get some fotos of 'incoming e&n frieghts' in the downtown van area. It will be sad as  a railfan to not have BNSF downtown anymore but SRY could shake things up a bit in the exciting depeartment. What this all means is that  SRY will finally have a 'direct' route to the e&n which could spell new traffic as potential customers on the island would be able to rely on having thier goods arrive in a more timely fashion. Anyhow, chew on that, dicuss if you will. It apparently really is going down any day now.

Yes, I heard this too over the weekend. Apparently the latest shipment of poles that came down the E&N a few days ago was transported (on the mainland side) via the new route. My source told me that the poles were delivered in Quebec in a matter of days.

joncalon
Historian

« Reply #602 on: Apr 26th, 2009, 12:02pm »

on Apr 26th, 2009, 4:13am, torch wrote:       (Click here for original message)
SRY is rumored to be going ahead with their new barge facitlity on Annacis and its no real secret that in the meantime they are looking at using BNSF's downtown vancouver barge slip which currently services the coastal mills that ship by rail. They apparently would be shipping the e&n bound cars by way of the BNSF slip which would eliminate the need for the tilbury headache as its become a real problem for shipping times and money-wise to have to rely on cp,cn and bn to get the cars to tilbury slip and back.

I'd have to presume then that the BNSF vancouver barge slip is compatible railwise with the Carrier Princess and Princess Superior?

And any chance of getting railcar shipping more frequently between the island and the continent via this new slip?

Jon

Pyronova

View Profile  

« Reply #603 on: Apr 26th, 2009, 12:15pm »

I've noticed that BNSF no longer has yard goats in the Lower Mainland (only GP-30,35 & 38s) so I am not surprised.....    
This would be good for SRY as well.... Their business is way down; many locos sitting for weeks at a time.....

Moderator of: Mainline - Rail Safety; Regional Areas - British Columbia & Vancouver Island; Fallen Flags - The Milwaukee Road; & Model Railroading - N-Scale .

Speeder
Historian

« Reply #604 on: Apr 26th, 2009, 12:18pm »

on Apr 26th, 2009, 11:31am, Speeder wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Yes, I heard this too over the weekend. Apparently the latest shipment of poles that came down the E&N a few days ago was transported (on the mainland side) via the new route. My source told me that the poles were delivered in Quebec in a matter of days.

I should clarify... I was not referring to the new barge slip, but about SRY bypassing CP completely (with last week's pole cars).

« Last Edit: Apr 26th, 2009, 12:19pm by Speeder » Logged
Pyronova

View Profile  

« Reply #605 on: Apr 26th, 2009, 12:47pm »

on Apr 26th, 2009, 12:02pm, joncalon wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I'd have to presume then that the BNSF vancouver barge slip is compatible railwise with the Carrier Princess and Princess Superior?

And any chance of getting railcar shipping more frequently between the island and the continent via this new slip?

Jon

http://forums.railfan.net/forums.cgi?board=BC;action=display;num=1149737599

Check out this thread for many pics of the BNSF slip on Burrard Inlet.   The slip is between Ballentine Pier and Roger's Sugar on the south shore of Burrard Inlet.

Moderator of: Mainline - Rail Safety; Regional Areas - British Columbia & Vancouver Island; Fallen Flags - The Milwaukee Road; & Model Railroading - N-Scale .

joncalon
Historian

« Reply #606 on: Apr 26th, 2009, 2:34pm »

on Apr 26th, 2009, 12:47pm, Pyronova wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Check out this thread for many pics of the BNSF slip on Burrard Inlet.   The slip is between Ballentine Pier and Roger's Sugar on the south shore of Burrard Inlet.  

I thought that was the one.  Looked up and down all of Burrard Inlet on Google Maps and found that one first.  It appears (from my point of view, I'd love to see a close up of the barge slip, though I doubt I'll ever get one of those since it's damn near impossible to get that sort of shot without being a railway employee) to have three straight tracks onto the barge, which won't work on the Vancouver Island service since the Wellcox slip has a three-way turnout and requires the outer tracks to bend towards the centre track.  I'm reasonably certain a lot of the barges have three straight tracks on the deck, no curves, which makes them incompatible  with the Wellcox slip...

Greatly appreciating corrections,

Jon

torch
Historian

« Reply #607 on: Apr 26th, 2009, 10:38pm »

I dont  believe the BN dock is  compatable  with the carrier princess and superior  so I  imagine it would be railbarges like those already in service to the mills.   Today when I was out chasing the royal hudson in new west  I saw the "e&n "   train being pulled by CP to tilbury.  Definately the  same mix of cement hoppers,grain and propane  but heads up.. there appeared to be one chemical tank that looked to be neither a propane car  nor the bio diesel tanker. No pole cars on this train.   Downtown vancouver has been serviced for the last few weeks by a  BNSF   gp-30(39m rebuild) and another 39. The remaining BNSF sw  switcher looks to have gone south today  as I saw it downtown this morning where it had been stored out of service but was gone when i returned this eve.  I will keep my eyes and ears peeled for e&n related developments. Hey pyro..the good news is that this creates two new SRY road jobs. one between new west and  vancouver and the other between new west and hundington to handle the island's and mills  cars to the border. Im not sure how much e&n traffic will still be interchanged with CP but surely some of it will be as the grain most likely originates from the praries and the poles go to quebec.

torch
Historian
  DSC04154.jpg - 119551 Bytes
« Reply #608 on: May 15th, 2009, 5:38am »

Well well... the end of an era  happened in vancouver last night. The last BNSF job in downtown Vancouver and I happened to luck out and be  around to see it. A crew member informed me of this. It was very unceremonious. I follwowed them back to their downtown yard after they finished pulling the barge . I even helped a crew member take down the large 'BNSF VANCOUVER YARD ' sign   which he offered to me as a keepsake and I accepted.   How does this relate to the E&N? Well SRY is now the proud operator of downtown Van   former BNSF duties as of this upcoming week .  Its been noted here that the duties include E&N traffic throo the downtown barge slip thus (hopefully) ending some of the difficulties in getting cars back and forth between welcox and the mainland.  So now we  will watch it unfold. I know this isnt the forum category for BN talk but I hope you guys can make an exception because this directly affects the fate of the E&N. Im posting a pic of the BN crew about to tie up,bringing to a close of 100 years of great northern related operations into downtown vancouver. I will start a new thread with pics and info soon of e&n traffic on THIS side with sry. Could be interesting.

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (119551 bytes, 1600x1200 pixels)

Click Here to View Image DSC04154.jpg - 119551 Bytes

torch
Historian
  Copy_of_DSC04156.jpg - 104269 Bytes
« Reply #609 on: May 15th, 2009, 5:41am »

'Thats it'!  Me with sign. Now time for improved E&N connections. Cross your fingers ,everybody!

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (1049x1021, 104269 bytes)

Click Here to View Image Copy_of_DSC04156.jpg - 104269 Bytes

« Last Edit: May 15th, 2009, 5:47am by torch » Logged
blackdog1
Chaser

« Reply #610 on: May 15th, 2009, 8:08am »

Well done! A real nice souvenir going somewhere it's appreciated.

95XXX
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #611 on: May 15th, 2009, 12:29pm »

All of SRY Vancouver Island traffic will now go through the BN slip, except the E&N traffic which will continue as per until the annacis island slip is built , and at that time all Island traffic will move to Annacis.

Dayliner
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #612 on: May 15th, 2009, 2:02pm »

Why will E&N traffic continue to route through Tilbury?

Life without trains? Inconceivable!
torch
Historian

« Reply #613 on: May 15th, 2009, 6:27pm »

From what I heard  it  is  supposed to go throo downtown vancouver barge slip now. Who knows for sure though ? this is  railway stuff so  anything is subject to changes. I thought it would make  sense to do that and  was one of the factors in sry  taking over this operation.

Speeder
Historian

« Reply #614 on: May 16th, 2009, 5:01pm »

Heard a rumour today that SRY bought (or is buying)  the remaining 6 or 7 Budd cars from CP for the island.  

Can anyone confirm, deny, etc?

torch
Historian

« Reply #615 on: May 16th, 2009, 7:26pm »

thats news to me. I wasnt  aware that cp  even had  any RDCs left.   Via?

vicguy
Historian

« Reply #616 on: May 16th, 2009, 7:49pm »

Gossip time: I heard SRY bought 6 RDCs from VIA and 1 more from another source to be leased back to VIA for service on the island. The RDCs will be based in Nanaimo and serviced in New West.  An RDC will leave Nanaimo in the morning for Victoria, and then continue on with the regular route and then return to Nanaimo at the end of the day. Or so the rumour goes.

I've learned over the years not to believe anything until I see it when it involves rumours and the E&N!

« Last Edit: May 16th, 2009, 7:52pm by vicguy » Logged

Chris

click here for E&N and other rail photos

Rail videos here
cn2220
Historian

« Reply #617 on: May 16th, 2009, 11:55pm »

Does VIA even have any RDC's left, besides the 6 in service to sell to SRY? I would think they would have to come from Industrial Rail Services if, IF, SRY bought the RDC's.

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
torch
Historian

« Reply #618 on: May 17th, 2009, 1:09am »

SRY in the passenger biz? haw..  but hey, stranger things have happened... ie, SRY on the ISLAND.

joncalon
Historian

« Reply #619 on: May 17th, 2009, 1:16am »

on May 15th, 2009, 2:02pm, Dayliner wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Why will E&N traffic continue to route through Tilbury?

As discussed (somewhat undefinitively) over on the VI Rail Slips thread, it's likely due to incompatibility of the rail layout at Wellcox.  The barge slip in downtown Vancouver has three straight track leads onto the barges which works for all the barge-served bits of railway out on the island, however, Wellcox's slip requires the three tracks on the barge to curve towards the centre of the vessel (well, the centre track is straight because it's already at the centre).  Annacis will likely feature this, and Tilbury does as well.

So long story short, the tracks on the ships serving Wellcox don't mate up to the downtown Vancouver slip.

Jon

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38  ...  48 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »