Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 27th, 2017, 4:56am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Rumours & Speculation & Rants
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   Rumours & Speculation & Rants
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37  ...  48 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Rumours & Speculation & Rants  (Read 21312 times)
95XXX
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Rumours & Speculation & Rants

« Reply #580 on: Feb 27th, 2009, 7:13pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Heard that a 12 axle sad errrr.......  depressed car with 700 000 lb Tranformer coming Feb 28 Sat noonish,

Record breaking car is the word.

Dayliner
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #581 on: Feb 27th, 2009, 8:52pm »

Or should that be track-breaking?

Life without trains? Inconceivable!
don432001
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #582 on: Mar 10th, 2009, 10:22pm »

Here is both the federal and  provincial governments that can see the benefits in fixing infrastructure of the Compagnie de chemin de fer de l’Outaouais tourist line:  

Government of Canada awards $1.9 million to Compagnie de chemin de fer de l’Outaouais to repair the Hull-Chelsea-Wakefield railway line  

Gatineau, Quebec, March 9, 2009 −The Honourable Denis Lebel, Minister of State for Canada Economic Development, and the Honourable Lawrence Cannon, Minister of Foreign Affairs and Member of Parliament for Pontiac, today announced the awarding of $1,940,000 in non-repayable funding to the Compagnie de chemin de fer de l’Outaouais. This funding will go toward the work required to repair the Hull-Chelsea-Wakefield railway line.

This project, which will necessitate a total investment of $5.8 million, will be carried out in partnership with the Government of Quebec, the municipalities concerned, the Conférence régionale des élus and Outaouais Tourism. In May 2008, a landslide brought the steam train, the only one of its kind still operating in Canada since 1992, to a complete stop. Its famous locomotive 909, built in Sweden over 100 years ago, is seen as a distinctive symbol and trademark of the Outaouais region.

“We had to support this tourist attraction. The steam train alone is featured in 40 percent of all the tourism packages sold by Outaouais Tourism. It attracts more than 55,000 people annually and generates $10 million in spinoffs. To that you have to add 80 direct jobs, not to mention indirect jobs, for example, in Wakefield businesses,” said Minister Lebel.

“Since the landslide, there has been general agreement among regional economic stakeholders that a strong consensus had to be found and a complete financing package set up. Both conditions had to be met to get the train back on track as soon as possible. The  “petit train de Wakefield”, as it is known in the region, is an important tourist draw for the Outaouais and strengthening the regional economy is essential to get through these tough times,” explained Minister Cannon.

This contribution to the Compagnie de chemin de fer de l’Outaouais has been awarded under the Community Diversification program’s Major Economic and Tourism Facilities initiative which helps devitalized regions and communities develop facilities and promote short- and medium-term economic growth.

Tourism is a promising niche for the Outaouais region, as are high technology and the processing of agri-food and wood products. It is in these priority sectors that Canada Economic Development has decided to focus its development efforts by supporting projects that will have an impact on both the region’s urban areas and rural belt.

Dennis Dalla-Vicenza

View Profile  

« Reply #583 on: Mar 11th, 2009, 8:17pm »

I guess in a nutshell if we want the funding for the E & N we have to set up a separatist party west to ensure the west gets the same considerations that the quebecois seem to get all the time. Is that PC enough for here?

Never known for Political Correctness
& far from a tag words cut and paste artist.
Port Alberni or Thereabouts.
don432001
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #584 on: Mar 11th, 2009, 11:41pm »

Its been said before on this forum our problem is not with the feds but our own provincial government. Mr Falcon has other interests.

Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #585 on: Mar 12th, 2009, 1:05am »

I vote we form the People's Republic of Vancouver Island. We should demand our own language, own currency and get to make up half of the opposition to the Federal Government and everything we demand has no baring or will help the rest of Canada. Gee I think that sounds just like Quebec.

Until we realize that we are just as important as those in Vancouver and stop giving in to the notion that we dont deserve it , we will never get ahead.

Regardless of who is in power, Liberal or NDP, Conservative, Green, etc., you will always find politicans that will screw it up.

The Liberals will always have a love affair with Vancouver.

Unfortunately to get any sort of interest in funding for the E&N, LRT or transit or any infrastructure project on the island, we have to play politics.

Pyronova

View Profile  

« Reply #586 on: Mar 12th, 2009, 1:52am »

on Mar 12th, 2009, 1:05am, Coastrail wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I vote we form the People's Republic of Vancouver Island. We should demand our own language, own currency and get to make up half of the opposition to the Federal Government and everything we demand has no baring or will help the rest of Canada. Gee I think that sounds just like Quebec.

There used to be a small organization in the 1970's called "VILO"- Vancouver Island Liberalization Organization.  Main economy was exporting canabis.....

Quote:

Until we realize that we are just as important as those in Vancouver and stop giving in to the notion that we dont deserve it , we will never get ahead.

Regardless of who is in power, Liberal or NDP, Conservative, Green, etc., you will always find politicans that will screw it up.

The Liberals will always have a love affair with Vancouver.

Vancouver = population   population = votes   votes = power.

Moderator of: Mainline - Rail Safety; Regional Areas - British Columbia & Vancouver Island; Fallen Flags - The Milwaukee Road; & Model Railroading - N-Scale .

Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #587 on: Mar 12th, 2009, 1:11pm »

on Mar 12th, 2009, 1:52am, Pyronova wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Vancouver = population   population = votes   votes = power.

Im not denying that fact that Vancouver has a larger population than us. I just think that we should not  be ignored for major infrastructure project funding.

« Last Edit: Mar 12th, 2009, 2:27pm by Aaron Lypkie » Logged
missthealcos
Historian

« Reply #588 on: Mar 12th, 2009, 2:43pm »

Kevin Falcon and Gordon Campbell are the two biggest problems with everything in this province. I'd like to know at exactly what point Kevin Falcon became an expert on all things transportation..oh wait, he didn't, he just listens to conultants(who are generally ignorant, especially when it comes to rail of any description..they don't know much past "choo choo", or that it's "old"), who usually with something to gain somewhere, and then thumps his chest as he crows about what he's going to do, how we are going to take it and like it, and that's the way it is.

Hmmm, 6 million 2009 dollars, to ensure a tourism "trademark" of the region continues....

Gee, anyone remember a little operation known as the ROYAL HUDSON although, in that case, we all know it had more to do with Mr. Campbells devious need to rid us of the railway, thanks for everything Gordo!

It has less to do with Island vs. anywhere else, than it does BC vs. everywhere else!

« Last Edit: Mar 12th, 2009, 2:49pm by missthealcos » Logged
Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #589 on: Mar 12th, 2009, 3:07pm »

on Mar 12th, 2009, 2:43pm, missthealcos wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Kevin Falcon and Gordon Campbell are the two biggest problems with everything in this province. I'd like to know at exactly what point Kevin Falcon became an expert on all things transportation..oh wait, he didn't, he just listens to conultants(who are generally ignorant, especially when it comes to rail of any description..they don't know much past "choo choo", or that it's "old"), who usually with something to gain somewhere, and then thumps his chest as he crows about what he's going to do, how we are going to take it and like it, and that's the way it is.

Hmmm, 6 million 2009 dollars, to ensure a tourism "trademark" of the region continues....

Gee, anyone remember a little operation known as the ROYAL HUDSON although, in that case, we all know it had more to do with Mr. Campbells devious need to rid us of the railway, thanks for everything Gordo!

It has less to do with Island vs. anywhere else, than it does BC vs. everywhere else!

I agree.  

Actually Campbell is pro rail, but only if its in Vancouver.  

Unfortunately we are stuck between a rock and a hard place. Voting in the NDP on the island wont help us, especially if they are still the opposition, and voting in Liberals on the island wont guarantee they will pay more attention.  

Bad mouthing the Liberals wont help either (I am guilty of that ), so we have to play nice but be firm. As the election draws nearer, we need to keep on the candidates, NDP or Liberal.

In regards to the 6million for the railway in Quebec. The FEDs would bend over backwards to do anything to keep Quebec happy.

We need to be pro-active, not reactive. As the saying goes, "You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar." Something that I am learning to do.  

Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #590 on: Mar 12th, 2009, 8:15pm »

Some interesting news regarding Infrastructure funding from the Liberals.

Quote:

Vancouver Island left out of $174 million in funding for highways

Vancouver Island was left out of $174 million in federal and provincial funding announced Thursday for highway projects across B.C., and there’s still no word on money for the E&N rail line.

The latest government money is destined for five improvement projects in B.C.’s southern interior region, including work to widen and realign the Trans-Canada highway and build two new bridges.

The announcement drew quick fire from Island MLAs in Opposition, who say the Island has needed highway work since flooding earlier this year washed out roads to Sooke and Port Renfrew.

“I think it’s clear that this government is still obsessed with projects on the Lower Mainland and Olympics-related projects only, and that is to the detriment of communities here,” said Maurine Karagianis, Esquimalt-Metchosin NDP MLA.

Government tried to sidestep the criticism, saying more money is on the way and some is headed to the Island.

Federal Infrastructure Minister John Baird, who made the funding announcement at the legislature, said he’s been discussing the Island with B.C. Transportation and Infrastructure Minister Kevin Falcon and “there will be some good news coming.”

“The minister and I just met for an hour and discussed a range of infrastructure needs around the province, a few of them were here in Victoria and on the Island, and we’ll be coming forward in very short order with additional investments,” said Baird.

Meanwhile, a group of Greater Victoria politicians converged at the legislature to lobby Falcon for money to upgrade the E&N rail line for commuter transit.

The Island Corridor Foundation — which has run the railway since 2006 in partnership with municipalities and First Nations — believes a commuter rail project could be launched for as little as $15 million. The 290 kilometres of rail runs on two tracks, from Victoria to Courtenay and Parksville to Port Alberni.

Late last month, mayors from around the region joined provincial and federal Opposition politicians to call on government for money to complete the project.

Falcon said government is studying the idea.

“One of the things I told them is the study we’re doing is very important for the federal government because they need a business case, and said we’d get that business case ready, bring it to the federal government to see if there’s federal interest,” said Falcon.

“I can tell you there’s a number of projects we’re working on now that we’ll be signing off on shortly that include some significant projects for the Island.”

rfshaw@tc.canwest.com

missthealcos
Historian

« Reply #591 on: Mar 12th, 2009, 9:18pm »

on Mar 12th, 2009, 3:07pm, Coastrail wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I agree.  

Actually Campbell is pro rail, but only if its in Vancouver.  

Unfortunately we are stuck between a rock and a hard place. Voting in the NDP on the island wont help us, especially if they are still the opposition, and voting in Liberals on the island wont guarantee they will pay more attention.  

Bad mouthing the Liberals wont help either (I am guilty of that ), so we have to play nice but be firm. As the election draws nearer, we need to keep on the candidates, NDP or Liberal.

In regards to the 6million for the railway in Quebec. The FEDs would bend over backwards to do anything to keep Quebec happy.

We need to be pro-active, not reactive. As the saying goes, "You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar." Something that I am learning to do.  

Yep, I can't argue with any of that. I'm just a bit too bitter. Good that there are some who have been able to train themselves to be a bit more diplomatic than I would be!

« Last Edit: Mar 12th, 2009, 9:22pm by missthealcos » Logged
Dennis Dalla-Vicenza

View Profile  

« Reply #592 on: Mar 13th, 2009, 12:45am »

I saw the mayors on TV tonight on A Channel and I thought their presentation was an ND rally. Just because Kevin Falcon doesn't fawn all over the E & N as the NDs are doing now in opposition doesn't mean the NDs will do any better when in power.

Andrew Petter was informed time and again that ripping up the rails on the Goose was the wrong thing to do but he went ahead with it anyway. He destroyed the most viable commuter route on the Island which was still over 60% intact but because the NDs in opposition are now promising you rail aid when they get re-elected just ask them why their party ripped up the rails instead of funding commuter rail 18 years ago.

Politicians (Mayors, Councillors, MLAs and MPs) will all tell you exactly what you want to hear when they are attempting to garner your vote. Where was Keith Martin's stance when he was both an Alliance MP and now a Liberal MP. He was in power under both regimes and did bugger all under both stripes and continues to bleat like the sheep he is.

Don't be lulled into complacency by people promissing you the moon, especially if they are not astronauts.

Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #593 on: Mar 13th, 2009, 1:37am »

All parties are full of BS to some degree. Both sides make promises, its not just some sort of NDP thing.

We cant go back and complain what happened or didnt happened 18 years ago.
I agree, that the NDP missed a glorious chance to put in LRT, but all we can do now is move forward and not repeat past mistakes.

The liberals are in power   and they are the ones that we must concentrate our efforts to get them to properly fund infrastructure improvements (E&N, Transit and LRT/Tram) on the island.

Things happen for a reason, and 18 years ago the time wasn't right for rail in the City, now it is, and we must make every effort to not make this opportunity go to waste.

Rail will return to this city and region, the E&N will be reborn, and the many groups, businesses, MLAs, councillors, individuals (like myself) will do everything in our power to make it a reality, I promise you that.

And now I must go to sleep and dream of taking a  steam train trip to the moon.  

« Last Edit: Mar 13th, 2009, 1:49am by Aaron Lypkie » Logged
boxcar
Historian

« Reply #594 on: Mar 13th, 2009, 8:20pm »

i think it's funny, that the government is in victoria and they get overlooked the most

Ttm Alyth yard
CPRail4744
Historian

« Reply #595 on: Mar 14th, 2009, 1:25am »

Good thoughts and insights you all have...I like your decision to be diplomatic, Aaron.  Courtesy and respect may win the day, even against odds that seem insurmountable.

I remember voting Liberal several years ago (dodging the rotten tomatoes from some of you     ) because I thought the NDP were destroying the economy of the Province, as well as the fact that I like and respect my local MLA.  But then I saw the wanton destruction of "Beautiful B.C." 's environment by the rampant highway expansion and unnecessary road "improvements", the "sale" of B.C.Rail, and the stupid Olympic fever, and have grown more and more frustrated and disenchanted.

Sure, my own business has done well in these last few years of economic properity, but then things like the carbon tax come along, and wipe it all out, especially when one is self employed and relies on a durable 4x4 all year long (40,000 km a year) and any kind of commuter service or green transport is out of the question for my line of work.

Sorry I am rambling, but I of course support totally any kind of rail-based
replacement of the over-dependence on vehicles on all the routes, and applaud you all who hope to see the day of common sense reigning again.

That's my rant for the day.  Thankyou.  

Matt Arnott, Kamloops, B.C.

"I would prefer to see it shipped by train..."
Dennis Dalla-Vicenza

View Profile  

« Reply #596 on: Mar 15th, 2009, 4:14am »

on Mar 13th, 2009, 1:37am, Coastrail wrote:       (Click here for original message)
All parties are full of BS to some degree. Both sides make promises, its not just some sort of NDP thing.
Agreed 100% and this will continue forever.  

Quote:

We cant go back and complain what happened or didnt happened 18 years ago.
I agree, that the NDP missed a glorious chance to put in LRT, but all we can do now is move forward and not repeat past mistakes.

The liberals are in power   and they are the ones that we must concentrate our efforts to get them to properly fund infrastructure improvements (E&N, Transit and LRT/Tram) on the island.
Exactly and it is for this very reason I keep harping about people putting credibility into opposition party promises. When in opposition one can make all the promises they want to because there is no way they can be held accountable for these promises because they just say the ruling government won't co-operate.  

Quote:

Things happen for a reason, and 18 years ago the time wasn't right for rail in the City, now it is, and we must make every effort to not make this opportunity go to waste.

Rail will return to this city and region, the E&N will be reborn, and the many groups, businesses, MLAs, councillors, individuals (like myself) will do everything in our power to make it a reality, I promise you that.

And now I must go to sleep and dream of taking a  steam train trip to the moon.  

Just watch out for non astronaut pilots.      

Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #597 on: Mar 15th, 2009, 12:35pm »

I think we can all agree, that creating and protecting jobs for islanders is important. Improving the E&N (for freight and passenger), supporting our local businesses and industries will go a long way to making that happen. Also improving the social and environmental aspect of our society will help people live longer and be happier. On an island there is no excuse not to strive to make us self-sufficient.

Now back to the rail issue.

Improving our island railway goes beyond politics. The E&N has for too long been used as a political tool in its entire 123 years of existence and I think its time to use it as tool to better the lives of all that live on the island.

Food for thought.

Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #598 on: Mar 15th, 2009, 1:21pm »

A couple of  interesting articles that I think u will all be interested in. These are from the C-Fax website.

Quote:
PROVINCE GETS BEHIND RAIL IMPROVEMENTS

Mar 12, 2009

THE PROVINCE IS NOW ON BOARD WITH POSSIBLE IMPROVEMENTS TO THE E&N RAILWAY.

VICTORIA MAYOR DEAN FORTIN SAYS THE GOVERNMENT HAS NOW COMMISSIONED A BUSINESS PLAN.

“Finally we got the money, we got that commitment from the provincial government to put their 5 hundred thousand dollars in to make this business plan work. Let’s see what it says and lets make this go forward.”

FORTIN IS LOOKING AHEAD TO THE FALL WHEN HE SAYS THEY WILL HAVE A TANGIBLE PLAN FOR THE PROJECT.

“They’ve put out the terms of reference, they’re hiring people - got the advisory committee. We’ll have something in the fall that we’ll have in our hand that we can go and sell and it sounds like it will be an easy sell.”

FORTIN AND A DELEGATION OF SOUTH ISLAND MAYORS MET WITH THE TRANSPORTATION MINISTER TODAY TO TALK ABOUT UPGRADES TO THE E&N RAILWAY.

Quote:
MAYORS PITCH E&N TO TRANSPORTATION MINISTER

Mar 12, 2009

THE MAYOR OF VICTORIA SAYS A DELEGATION OF SOUTH ISLAND MAYORS GOT A POSITIVE RECEPTION TODAY, WHEN THEY MET THE TRANSPORTATION MINISTER TO PITCH IMPROVEMENTS TO THE E&N RAILWAY.

THE ISLAND CORRIDOR FOUNDATION WANTS MORE THAN 100 MILLION DOLLARS TO UPGRADE THE LINE SO THAT IT CAN BECOME A COMMUTER RAIL ROUTE.

DEAN FORTIN SAYS MINISTER KEVIN FALCON GAVE THE GROUP A FAIR HEARING TODAY...

"good positive news...the minister sees all of those, uh, elements, and is supportive. He's looking for a strong business plan, which they've just commissioned, and will come out early in the fall, and that'll allow us the tools to go to the federal government and get their infrastructure money"

NINE MAYORS WENT IN TO THE MEETING WITH A JOINT MESSAGE. FORTIN WAS COMMENTING ON THE C-FAX NEWSLINE PM SHOW THIS AFTERNOON.

« Last Edit: Mar 15th, 2009, 1:21pm by Aaron Lypkie » Logged
Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #599 on: Mar 15th, 2009, 1:26pm »

Another Article.

Quote:
Rail needed to move massive transformers

Undertaking shows value of railway, say Island supporters

By Darrell Bellaart, The Daily NewsMarch 14, 2009

Operators of the E&N Railway can take some credit for keeping the lights working on Vancouver Island.

When the B.C. Transmission Corp ordered two huge transformers from a U.S. manufacturer to put at a hydro substation in Duncan, they were moved by rail.

Because of their massive size -- one weighs 202 tons and the other, 182 ton -- rail was the logical choice. Bridges, utility lines and highway weight restrictions all posed obstacles to moving them by road. On March 6, the monstrous items were moved to Duncan, where they were loaded onto flatbed trucks and carried the last two kilometres to the substation on Sprott Road. It's being cited by E&N supporters as an example of why rail is needed.

Island politicians are currently lobbying senior governments to help share the cost of long-overdue rail bed improvements estimated at more than $100 million.

While the units could have been moved by highway, it would have created massive problems for movers and headaches for other users of the Trans-Canada Highway.

"They knew in advance it was too big. It has to do with bridges and overpasses and also weight on the highway," said Don McGregor, general manager of Southern Rail of Vancouver Island Ltd., which operates the E&N.

"We think it's an important point for the future of transportation on the Island and not just freight.

"There's commuter rail, excursion travel, tourism and inter-city passenger rail traffic as well."

The move was a massive undertaking. Huge cranes were used to load and unload the monoliths on the Vancouver side, where they were barged to the Island, in Nanaimo and at their final destination. At several points the load cleared overhead bridges by just centimetres.

"People were asking me: 'What's your Plan B?' I was saying: 'It will be Plan A, there is only one option and that's rail.'"

Rail usually makes the job easier when BCTC needs to move electrical equipment of that size and scale.

"Moving it by rail does save time and money," said Mike Witherly, BCTC spokesman.

"One of the reasons, it saves time, when it goes on the road you have to go and move the phone lines and hydro lines. So there is a general issue of public convenience, because it's big, it's slow on the road and we're moving lines."

The provincial government is working on a feasibility study weighing the economic benefits of improving the track. The study is expected to be completed later this year,

DBellaart@nanaimodailynews.com

250-729-4235
© Copyright (c) Canwest News Service

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37  ...  48 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »