Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 24th, 2017, 11:05pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Rumours & Speculation & Rants
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   Rumours & Speculation & Rants
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36  ...  48 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Rumours & Speculation & Rants  (Read 21298 times)
Dennis Dalla-Vicenza

View Profile  

Re: Rumours & Speculation & Rants

« Reply #560 on: Jan 6th, 2009, 6:04pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Jan 6th, 2009, 4:14pm, timberland#7 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
could this grade been used by comox logging they had many grades in merville area
Actually we were driving much closer to the bottom of Mount Washington at the time in area west of the new four lane highway. At one place  there was an indication the work just stopped. Almost like they were planning on continuing. It looked too smooth and too large a radius curve to be a logging line.  

Never known for Political Correctness
& far from a tag words cut and paste artist.
Port Alberni or Thereabouts.
Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #561 on: Jan 6th, 2009, 8:27pm »

on Jan 6th, 2009, 1:54pm, Garrett_Owner wrote:       (Click here for original message)
To again add to one of my comments in this thread. When I was living in Merville I went exploring with a friend of mine and we drove up the old Oyster River Road toward Mount Washington. This was prior to the new highway and what is now 19A was actually Highway 19. While driving about we came to a long narrow level stretch of road that my friend told me was the old E & N right of way which was to be part of the line leading to the crossing at Seymore Narrows for the eventual connection to Kamloops. Of course with the railroad finding a more convenient pass the whole Island connection failed to materialize but supposedly the line was graded to just above what is now Bevan Wetlands on the new highway. This is all information that my now deceased buddy Morris Wideman related to me way back when.

Now that is interesting, I will have a look see on Google Maps. The detail is pretty good, perhaps it will show the grade.

Where exactly is Bevan Wetlands?

Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #562 on: Jan 6th, 2009, 8:29pm »

on Jan 6th, 2009, 5:37pm, Pyronova wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I remember seeing an old map or two (maybe one of Robert Turner's?) that showed either Comox Logging or another RR on the original CPR survey.  

I will double check his books; Vancouver Island Railroads and  his other book on Logging Railways ( I cant remember the name). There are lots of maps and I will have a peek.

Dennis Dalla-Vicenza

View Profile  

« Reply #563 on: Jan 6th, 2009, 9:35pm »

on Jan 6th, 2009, 8:27pm, Coastrail wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Where exactly is Bevan Wetlands?
About a 1/3 of the way to Campbell River from Courtenay on the new highway and close to where the pipeline for Courtenay's water supply passes under the new highway.  

About here is the area ---- sorta. http://tinyurl.com/9yc3l2 You'll have to look around and I'm off to a meeting. I'll be back later to see if you find something.  

« Last Edit: Jan 6th, 2009, 9:36pm by Dennis Dalla-Vicenza » Logged

Pyronova

View Profile  

« Reply #564 on: Jan 6th, 2009, 10:33pm »

on Jan 6th, 2009, 9:35pm, Garrett_Owner wrote:       (Click here for original message)

About a 1/3 of the way to Campbell River from Courtenay on the new highway and close to where the pipeline for Courtenay's water supply passes under the new highway.  

About here is the area ---- sorta. http://tinyurl.com/9yc3l2 You'll have to look around and I'm off to a meeting. I'll be back later to see if you find something.  

This area is probably 100 feet higher in elevation than the line on Courtenay.  The CR extension would stay in the valley; following the various creeks/ rivers in the area.  

The grades west of the HWY are former logging railway grades.

Moderator of: Mainline - Rail Safety; Regional Areas - British Columbia & Vancouver Island; Fallen Flags - The Milwaukee Road; & Model Railroading - N-Scale .

tfctrains
Historian

« Reply #565 on: Jan 6th, 2009, 10:50pm »

[quote author=Pyronova link=board=Vancouver;num=1120164410;start=560#565 date=01/06/09 at 22:33:09]
This area is probably 100 feet higher in elevation than the line on Courtenay.  The CR extension would stay in the valley; following the various creeks/ rivers in the area.  

The grades west of the HWY are former logging railway grades. [/quote
Yes, you are right, the E&N rightaway is at a much lower elevation than that, north of the Courtenay River it followed Condensory Road and was also right next to the Comox Logging Railway almost to Headquarters Camp. For anyone that knows were the old Dove Creek school is, the Comox Logging Railway is just to the west of that, It is now the one spot trail, it is looked after by the Regional District. Right beside that is the proposed E&N rightaway to Campbell River. It goes right throu a friend's yard. He says they do not have any rights to it now , because they did not pay the taxes for it in the thirties. The Comox logging line is owned by the Ministry of Highways.

Dennis Dalla-Vicenza

View Profile  

« Reply #566 on: Jan 13th, 2009, 2:42am »

Lead article in today's AVTimes was mentioning the resigning by the ICF of the SVI and in the story they mentioned possible coal movement to Port Alberni from a developing new coal mine in Union Bay.

Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #567 on: Jan 13th, 2009, 8:18pm »

on Jan 13th, 2009, 2:42am, Garrett_Owner wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Lead article in today's AVTimes was mentioning the resigning by the ICF of the SVI and in the story they mentioned possible coal movement to Port Alberni from a developing new coal mine in Union Bay.

Cool

CN7059
Historian

« Reply #568 on: Jan 13th, 2009, 8:29pm »

on Jan 13th, 2009, 2:42am, Garrett_Owner wrote:       (Click here for original message)

This is exciting news, although to my understanding, there is nothing in writing as of yet, and any coal hauling operations wouldn't start until 2012 at the earliest.

Grant Williamson, Saanich BC

Dennis Dalla-Vicenza

View Profile  

« Reply #569 on: Jan 13th, 2009, 9:03pm »

on Jan 13th, 2009, 8:29pm, CN7059 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

This is exciting news, although to my understanding, there is nothing in writing as of yet, and any coal hauling operations wouldn't start until 2012 at the earliest.

True but the news is better than "nothing is going to happen" isn't it?

Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #570 on: Jan 13th, 2009, 9:11pm »

Does this deal hinge on both the FEDs and Province forking out their share of the upgrading money? I would assume so, but then I am unsure of the condition of the Port Sub.

I guess the ICF could use their portion of the 103million for that section first.

Dennis Dalla-Vicenza

View Profile  

« Reply #571 on: Jan 14th, 2009, 2:49am »

What would happen if say only 45 million was forthcoming from the various levels of government?  

Would just the north end get fixed?  

95XXX
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #572 on: Jan 14th, 2009, 12:31pm »

Any amount of funding would mean:

Step 1 - replacing as many ties as needed on the whole Vic sub to keep to safe standards.

The other steps will follow.

Pyronova

View Profile  

« Reply #573 on: Jan 14th, 2009, 1:47pm »

on Jan 14th, 2009, 12:31pm, 95XXX wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Any amount of funding would mean:

Step 1 - replacing as many ties as needed on the whole Vic sub to keep to safe standards.

The other steps will follow.

There was some talk about the proposed VIRX having a passenger train excursion off of the cruise ships (similar to the old Pacific Wilderness) from Downtown to Malahat & back....   However someone quoted a SRY-VI/ICF person saying that the line can't support a once or twice daily train (hello VIA-RDC!) due to track conditions.    
Unfortunately with the way the American economy has gone as of late (which is probably 75-90% of the 'ship's passengers), I think this will be on hold for some time.   The people aren't travelling in big numbers anymore. The Rocky Mountaineer has laid-off (fired) over 50 staff since October, and its' bookings are down another 35% from last year's downturn of 40%.  Gray Line of Banff has closed it's doors, which was part of the Rocky Mountaineer family of companies (40+ tour coaches). Rumour is that Gray Line of Victoria (also part of the RMR family) is close behind. Ouch to the tourist market!
So basically I'm suggesting that unless there becomes some significant freight traffic to Langford or even Victoria over the 'hat to help offset the cost of tie & rail refurbishment, I doubt we will see any significant maintenance let alone upgrades south of Top Shelf in Duncan.....   which means no passenger excursions available to the fewer cruise ship passengers.
So....  how can we (ha ha ha) change the world's economy (ha ha ha)to make everyone rich (ha ha ha) again so they will travel to help fund (ha ha ha) our little railway?     Anyone?

Moderator of: Mainline - Rail Safety; Regional Areas - British Columbia & Vancouver Island; Fallen Flags - The Milwaukee Road; & Model Railroading - N-Scale .

cobblehillian
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #574 on: Jan 14th, 2009, 3:08pm »

I wouldn't panic yet on the E&N rehab work.  However, If things were in my hands I'd speed up Mr. Falcon's study of the rail alternative.

There is a consensus among the major cities, the provinces, and Feds that one of the wisest uses of stimulative expenditure during the current crisis is transportation infrastructure.

« Last Edit: Jan 14th, 2009, 3:13pm by cobblehillian » Logged
Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #575 on: Jan 14th, 2009, 8:28pm »

on Jan 14th, 2009, 2:49am, Garrett_Owner wrote:       (Click here for original message)
What would happen if say only 45 million was forthcoming from the various levels of government?  

Would just the north end get fixed?  

I would say fix the north end first (I would assume that ICF and SRVI would concentrate on that first), if it means bringing a lot of freight traffic. It would make a lot of sense. The $45million you mentioned, is that a for sure thing or just rumor?

« Last Edit: Jan 14th, 2009, 8:32pm by Aaron Lypkie » Logged
Dennis Dalla-Vicenza

View Profile  

« Reply #576 on: Jan 14th, 2009, 8:51pm »

Aaron just meant that as a 'food for thought' type comment. I just made the number up otta my own little old head.  

« Last Edit: Jan 14th, 2009, 8:52pm by Dennis Dalla-Vicenza » Logged

Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #577 on: Jan 15th, 2009, 11:20pm »

on Jan 6th, 2009, 9:35pm, Garrett_Owner wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I have been studying Google Maps aerial photo of the area between Courtenay and Campbell River and so far havent found any sign of an extension of the E&N. I will keep on looking

« Last Edit: Jan 15th, 2009, 11:24pm by Aaron Lypkie » Logged
bcrailfan
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #578 on: Jan 17th, 2009, 2:05am »

I spent the first five years of my career as a heli pilot flying out of Campbell River.  The network of old rail lines in that area is truly mind boggling.  There are so many old rail lines between Courtney, Campbell River, Upper Campbell Lake and Sayward that its hard to keep track of where one starts and where another one ends.  I love Robert Turner's VI Railroads book but the maps in it barely scratch the surface of what was once there.  There are trestles and log dumps in just about every lake out behind Campbell River.  From what I have seen from the air of the previous rights-of-way, it would be an incredibly easy job to connect Campbell River with Courtney.  Of course the land ownership issues would most likely make the task a very difficult one but as far as the right of way and grades are concerned it would be a piece of cake.

For the record, I don't want to sound like a poor sport but I just can't see the line being extended beyond its present northern terminus (no matter how geographically easy it would be).

Just my thoughts and observations.

Ben

« Last Edit: Jan 17th, 2009, 2:11am by bcrailfan » Logged
Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #579 on: Jan 17th, 2009, 6:31pm »

on Jan 17th, 2009, 2:05am, bcrailfan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I spent the first five years of my career as a heli pilot flying out of Campbell River.  The network of old rail lines in that area is truly mind boggling.  There are so many old rail lines between Courtney, Campbell River, Upper Campbell Lake and Sayward that its hard to keep track of where one starts and where another one ends.  I love Robert Turner's VI Railroads book but the maps in it barely scratch the surface of what was once there.  There are trestles and log dumps in just about every lake out behind Campbell River.  From what I have seen from the air of the previous rights-of-way, it would be an incredibly easy job to connect Campbell River with Courtney.  Of course the land ownership issues would most likely make the task a very difficult one but as far as the right of way and grades are concerned it would be a piece of cake.

For the record, I don't want to sound like a poor sport but I just can't see the line being extended beyond its present northern terminus (no matter how geographically easy it would be).

Just my thoughts and observations.

Ben

Google doesnt show a whole lot in terms of rows, unless I have maps to reference them.

I really do feel that an extension to Campbell River is really possible. There is a huge untapped market of passengers and freight up in that region for the railway.

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36  ...  48 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »