Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 24th, 2017, 11:43am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Rumours & Speculation & Rants
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   Rumours & Speculation & Rants
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33  ...  48 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Rumours & Speculation & Rants  (Read 21485 times)
Dayliner
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Rumours & Speculation & Rants

« Reply #500 on: Aug 22nd, 2008, 2:17am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Excellent.  These are the kind of firm projections they need to get the provincial gov't on side.  Sounds like they've really been beating the bushes to drum up business.  Of course, we always knew the business was out there . . .  

Life without trains? Inconceivable!
tfctrains
Historian

« Reply #501 on: Aug 30th, 2008, 1:46am »

Rumour, I understand, the rate charged to the company shipping poles out of Royston, has increased 25% recently making it almost impossible for them to make a buck you may want to get your pictures soon!

don432001
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #502 on: Sep 5th, 2008, 8:37pm »

This was in today's Vancouver Sun and  mentions the Southern Railway third paragraph from the bottom on a proposed rail barge ramp. The federal election promises start!!!

Port terminals to trade in roadways for seaways
Derrick Penner, Vancouver Sun
Published: Friday, September 05, 2008
Metro Vancouver port terminals aim to take 650 trucks per day off congested Metro roads with a series of new shortsea shipping routes that will trade waterways for roadways to move cargo around.  

The federal government on Friday announced it will spend $20 million from its Asia-Pacific Gateway initiative to help port operators and municipalities build up to $43.5 million worth of facilities and infrastructure in seven separate projects.  

"Better use of our waterways through shortsea shipping can help alleviate congestion, facilitate trade, reduce greenhouse gas emissions and increase overall transportation efficiency," Lawrence Canon, federal minister of transport, infrastructure and communities said in a press release.  

Email to a friend

Printer friendly
Font:****The seven are a series of linked barge facilities at existing terminals and road improvements that will create a transportation network capable of handling 120,000 containers per year.  

Federal funding will be contingent on reaching contribution agreements with the companies and municipalities involved as well as completion of required environmental assessments, but the projects include:  

- The Fraser River shuttle will see the Coast 2000 distribution centre on the south arm of the Fraser River in Richmond build a barge ramp and dock able load and unload shipping containers for transport to and from port terminals. Cost: $10 million, $5 million from the federal government.  

- The Deltaport shortsea berth project will see TSI Terminal Systems build a barge berth as part of its Berth 3 expansion. Cost: $4.7 million, $2.35 million from the federal government.  

- The Vanterm shortsea berth will see TSI Terminals convert the existing Berth No. 7 at its Burrard Inlet terminal into a shortsea barge berth capable of handling containers and a ramp for roll-on-roll-off truck traffic. Cost: $3.9 million, $1.9 million from the federal government.  

- The Mountain View Apex Container Terminal, which will see Seaspan International build a shortsea access point allowing it to move freight by barge including containers and tractor trailers in a roll-on-roll-off fashion. Cost: $14 million, $7 million from the federal government.  

- The Southern Railway of B.C. rail barge project will see Southern Rail build a rail-barge ramp at its terminal on Annacis Island capable of handling rail cars and tractor trailers. Cost: $10 million, $4.6 million from the federal government.  

- The City of Richmond will build a new four-lane section of road between Wireless Way and Highway 91 to improve traffic flows. The federal government will support construction with a $750,000 contribution.  

- The Corporation of Delta will build left-turn lanes on Nordel Way at Brooke Road and Shepherd Way to reduce congestion. The federal government will support construction with a $1.1 million contribution.  

depenner@vancouversun.com

FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #503 on: Oct 17th, 2008, 8:04pm »

A rail referendum question is attached to the civic election ballot in the City of Langford. I haven't checked the other communities listed as part of the C4CR group, but I would assume that they also have it.
Be sure to get out and do your civic duty on November 15th.

http://www.cityoflangford.ca/newsarticle.asp?TopicID=562 (just below the list of candidates)

don432001
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #504 on: Nov 10th, 2008, 10:32am »

Its amazing that when there is a will to fund that governments can find a way to. Here is the latest on the Wakefield train in Quebec.

Ottawa switches tracks on funding rules to aid 'Petit Train'
Harper government to provide $2-million to fix rails of the Wakefield Steam Train, a major tourist draw in Tory riding  
 Article  Comments (34)  DANIEL LEBLANC  

From Monday's Globe and Mail

November 10, 2008 at 5:08 AM EST

OTTAWA — The Harper government rewrote the rules of an economic development program in order to pay for a $2-million project in a Conservative Quebec riding that would otherwise have been left out.

Ottawa announced last week that it will provide one-third of the funding to repair the tracks used by the Wakefield Steam Train, a major tourist draw in western Quebec that was grounded earlier this year after a series of landslides.

However, the money comes from a federal program, called Major Economic and Tourism Facilities, that was created this year to fund projects in the poorest parts of Quebec.

While some areas of the Outaouais are covered by the program, the railway line is in a previously ineligible part of the region, much of it in the riding of Foreign Affairs Minister Lawrence Cannon.

A senior official at Canada Economic Development for Quebec Regions, Marc Boily, said that in order to fund the steam train, the program's criteria were redrawn by the agency's previous Conservative minister, Jean-Pierre Blackburn. Mr. Boily said the decision to change the program's criteria came after Mr. Blackburn was informed about the problems faced by the 101-year-old train, which traverses a scenic route from Hull to the village of Wakefield in the Gatineau Hills.

"The minister asked for the program to be modified ... to allow for funding in the event of 'acts of God' in areas that are not part of the program," Mr. Boily said. "This is not a case of funding something that was ineligible. It's that the program was adapted."

In a recent interview, Mr. Blackburn, who has since been shuffled to National Revenue, defended the rule change as good policy, saying he viewed his job as finding solutions to complex problems.

He added he had been asked by Mr. Cannon to help find a way to get the train running again.

"The local MP was my colleague, Mr. Cannon, and he was asking me whether there was something that could be done," Mr. Blackburn said.

Mr. Cannon praised the deal when the federal funding was officially announced last week.

"This tourist attraction is of strategic importance for the Outaouais and Pontiac regions, and that is why the government of Canada is proud to be a partner in its restoration. It has the potential to generate significant direct and indirect economic spinoffs, which is particularly critical in this time of economic uncertainty," he said.

Torrential rains first caused a landslide below the tracks used by the Hull-Chelsea-Wakefield Steam Train, which was built in Sweden in 1907, in July of last year. Another landslide near the tracks in May led to the suspension of the service.

The incidents dealt a major blow to the tourism industry in the Outaouais, where thousands of tourists embark on the train in Gatineau and spend their dollars in shops and restaurants in picturesque Wakefield.

Faced with a repair bill of about $6-million, the company that owns the train tried to sell it for use on steadier ground elsewhere. No buyer was found, and politicians of all stripes spent months trying to find a way to keep the "Petit Train" in the region.

In their recent announcement, the provincial, federal and local governments each agreed to foot one-third of the repair bill, meaning that Ottawa's share will be about $2-million.

Earlier this year, Finance Minister Jim Flaherty made a surprise pledge to run train service from Toronto to Peterborough, Ont., along a route through a number of Conservative ridings. The opposition derided the plan as the "pork-barrel express."

bcrailfan
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #505 on: Nov 18th, 2008, 11:34am »

There is a great article in the Times Communist today that makes a very strong argument for our Island's rail line.  Apparently all sorts of politicians are banding together regardless of political stripes all in an effort to convince Victoria that now is the time for upgrades to our rail line.  Definitely good news.  Worth a read.

Ben

thehighwayman
Historian

« Reply #506 on: Nov 18th, 2008, 11:50am »

on Nov 18th, 2008, 11:34am, bcrailfan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
There is a great article in the Times Communist today that makes a very strong argument for our Island's rail line.  Apparently all sorts of politicians are banding together regardless of political stripes all in an effort to convince Victoria that now is the time for upgrades to our rail line.  Definitely good news.  Worth a read.

Ben

Please post the link .... or at least the headline so we know what to look for.
thanks
wdm

thehighwayman
Historian

« Reply #507 on: Nov 18th, 2008, 11:53am »

on Nov 18th, 2008, 11:34am, bcrailfan wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Ben

Never mind previous message .... here's the link:

http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolonist/news/story.html?id=030abfef-a8e9-480e-945b-efb7459485d4

Commuter rail should be priority, all-party committee says
Judith Lavoie, Times Colonist
Published: Tuesday, November 18, 2008
The Island's E&N train tracks should be upgraded with a view to developing commuter rail service, the province's all-party finance committee says.

In a budget priorities report released yesterday the select standing committee on finance, made up of Liberal and NDP MLAs, said the track project should be a capital spending priority.

read the rest at the link above ....
wdm

Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #508 on: Nov 18th, 2008, 8:53pm »

That is definitely great news. More pressure on Campbell and Falcon.

Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #509 on: Nov 25th, 2008, 8:35pm »

Just received this on the Yahoo thread from a gentlemen named Dennis in Port Alberni. Looks like good news to me.

Quote:
Was at a gathering the other evening and was told some good news about
the E & N for a change. Well two things good for the benefit of Port
Alberni anyway.

#1 - There is a good chance of daily freight movements beginning
between Courtenay and Port Alberni. The infrastructure improvements
will be handled at either end by ICF and the rail bed improvements by
Southern Rail. A press release is pending but just awaiting a couple
of contracts being finalized.  

#2 - The #113 out of Woss should be repatriated to Port Alberni fairly
soon and it will be the locomotive that the "Cameron Crawl" will be