Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 28th, 2017, 6:01pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Rumours & Speculation & Rants
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   Rumours & Speculation & Rants
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32  ...  48 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Rumours & Speculation & Rants  (Read 21314 times)
Cody
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Rumours & Speculation & Rants

« Reply #480 on: Mar 31st, 2008, 2:00am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

There are two, maybe three, barge unloading locations in the Victoria that could handle the fly-ash with some changes (proper conveyors, piping etc).

Lafarge already has the barge-unloader.   They just don't have the infrastructure to direct it to a seperate silo (the currently unload barges of cement using compressed air).   You put the barge in the same place, just pump the product to a different bin.  

I'm not being a nay-sayer, but if you spend time around the working waterfront of Victoria, you realize a whole bunch of barges are unloaded every week at the Larfarge/Butler complex, the Ocean concrete operation, and the asphalt plant.    Bamberton near Mill Bay is still actively unloading product from barges as well.   The waterfront real-estate is not the issue.  Other factors may keep the railcars coming (hopefully).

Fly ash is a by-product of coal-fired power plants and was considered a waste product until someone figured you could mix it with concrete as a cheap binder/filler.   It also works well for the railways as they get both inbound and outbound loads (coal/ash) from the power plants.    As most coal fired plants are inland, maybe the railcars will keep their advantage.

« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2008, 2:02am by Cody » Logged
tfctrains
Historian

« Reply #481 on: Apr 1st, 2008, 1:41am »

on Mar 31st, 2008, 2:00am, Cody wrote:       (Click here for original message)
There are two, maybe three, barge unloading locations in the Victoria that could handle the fly-ash with some changes (proper conveyors, piping etc).

Lafarge already has the barge-unloader.   They just don't have the infrastructure to direct it to a seperate silo (the currently unload barges of cement using compressed air).   You put the barge in the same place, just pump the product to a different bin.  

I'm not being a nay-sayer, but if you spend time around the working waterfront of Victoria, you realize a whole bunch of barges are unloaded every week at the Larfarge/Butler complex, the Ocean concrete operation, and the asphalt plant.    Bamberton near Mill Bay is still actively unloading product from barges as well.   The waterfront real-estate is not the issue.  Other factors may keep the railcars coming (hopefully).

Fly ash is a by-product of coal-fired power plants and was considered a waste product until someone figured you could mix it with concrete as a cheap binder/filler.   It also works well for the railways as they get both inbound and outbound loads (coal/ash) from the power plants.    As most coal fired plants are inland, maybe the railcars will keep their advantage.

My brother still feels it would be an expensive proposition to put in place, He believes a new barge would be required and there still is the problem of loading the barge on the mainland side. Plus the flyash is used on the North Island, so if you unload it in Victoria it would have to be trucked to the North Island. One of the supporters of ICF is Lararge, so I hope they are happy with the present arrangement. Track crew working in the Courtenay area to-day, replacing missing bolts at rail joints. Tie extractor is is parked in the pole spur at mile 137 to-night. Did not see any new ties put in yet, maybe tomorrow. No pole cars this week so far.

timberland#7
Railfan

« Reply #482 on: Apr 1st, 2008, 11:36am »

Lafarge have a barge barge slip and silo in comox that they stoped using years ago. It is still there so if they wanted to do that I

timberland#7
Railfan

« Reply #483 on: Apr 1st, 2008, 11:39am »

Lafarge have a barge barge slip and silo in comox that they stoped using years ago. It is still there so if they wanted to do that I think they would have already done that.  I believe that they truck  all there cement powder  north from Victoria

FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #484 on: Jun 16th, 2008, 8:11pm »

A little blurb from Langford. A major bus interchange located along the E&N should be news.
Any possibilities for Light Rail Transit here?
http://www.cityoflangford.ca/newsarticle.asp?TopicID=524

Pyronova

View Profile  

« Reply #485 on: Jun 18th, 2008, 10:07pm »

on Jun 16th, 2008, 8:11pm, FSD8014 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
A little blurb from Langford. A major bus interchange located along the E&N should be news.

I heard something that BC Transit is going to be putting on a Daily Commuter Duncan to Victoria Service ? ? ? ?

Moderator of: Mainline - Rail Safety; Regional Areas - British Columbia & Vancouver Island; Fallen Flags - The Milwaukee Road; & Model Railroading - N-Scale .

cn2220
Historian

« Reply #486 on: Jun 18th, 2008, 10:37pm »

on Jun 18th, 2008, 10:07pm, Pyronova wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I heard something that BC Transit is going to be putting on a Daily Commuter Duncan to Victoria Service ? ? ? ?

I heard that too, using Suburban coach versions of the Novabus LFS buses.

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #487 on: Jun 19th, 2008, 11:17pm »

As I am sure u are aware. BC Transit has be asked by the Transit Commission to do a more detailed study of the rapid transit options to the Westshore. This is also due to the fact of the huge opposition the busway project.

Here is a link.

The options that are going to be looked at are; BRT, LRT, DMU Commuter Rai (E&N).

http://www.busonline.ca/regions/vic/news/commission/pdf/cmtg-ra-482.pdf

Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #488 on: Jun 19th, 2008, 11:18pm »

on Jun 16th, 2008, 8:11pm, FSD8014 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

The results of the new Westshore Rapid Transit Study should be interesting, and could well lean toward use of the E&N and or LRT.

wx732
Railfan

« Reply #489 on: Jul 5th, 2008, 4:57am »

(From today's TC...)

Today marks the 60th anniversary of the last day of streetcars in Victoria and the end of an important era in this city.  

Many people are unaware of the role streetcars played in the development of Victoria and the Saanich Peninsula. In 1888, civic leaders had the vision to desire an efficient public transportation system which would help promote residential and commercial growth. Within two years, Victoria had a five-mile streetcar system. This would eventually grow to more than 50 miles, allowing passengers to commute between downtown and places like Deep Bay, Esquimalt, Beacon Hill Park and Oak Bay.  

However, potential high maintenance costs, which were largely caused by years of neglect, and the flexibility of buses resulted in the streetcar system declining and eventually being shut down.  

Sixty years later, the congestion on Victoria's roads, especially for commuters, demands that streetcars be considered once again. The best choice would be to use the existing E&N Railway. The tracks are in place and transit service could easily be scheduled around the operation of the Dayliner.  

All we need is for current civic leaders to stop vacillating about how to solve our traffic problems and show the same leadership demonstrated by civic leaders 120 years ago.  

Stan Dzbik  

Victoria  

Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #490 on: Jul 5th, 2008, 4:05pm »

Potentially we could have both streetcars (trams)/LRT within the core and commuter rail on the E&N. Portland is a good example of a similar system that could be built here. As the price of gas goes up, the cost of living goes up, and the talk of sustainability on the island, rail makes more and more sense.

Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #491 on: Jul 6th, 2008, 12:50pm »

Historic station work will be done in '09
Robert Barron, Daily News
Published: Saturday, June 21, 2008

Despite delays in the restoration work at Nanaimo's historical E&N Railway Station, Doug Backhouse is still confident the work will be completed on schedule by the end of 2009.

Backhouse, executive director of the Island Corridor Foundation, owners of the station that was gutted by fire in August 2007, said a design team is still collecting information on the station and the ICF is making sure it has the funds in place to pay for the work before it begins.

"Quite a bit still needs to be chewed on but we're optimistic work will soon begin," Backhouse said Friday.

"Our insurance will cover the approximately $2 million that's expected to complete the repairs but the design costs (estimated to be in the hundreds of thousands of dollars) are not covered by the insurance so we have to ensure we can cover these."

The fire at the Selby Street station, built in 1920 and classed as a federal heritage building, caused extensive damage to the station's structure.

VIA Rail was the only tenant at the time of the fire.

Backhouse said the ICF has some core funding that could be used to help pay for the design costs, but the foundation also has other priorities that require funding, like the ICF's campaign to raise $103.8 million to rebuild Vancouver Island's long neglected E&N Rail corridor.

Backhouse said the ICF has met with many MPs, MLAs and community and business leaders to present their case to viably upgrade the 290-kilometre rail line to bring the corridor up to North American standards, and 2,200 people to date have signed on in support of the campaign at the ICF's website at www.ourcorridor.ca.

First Nations, business and community leaders joined with the ICF and Southern Railway of Vancouver Island in April in a coalition to urge funding for upgrades on the corridor.

The proposal calls for an integrated transportation system that connects buses to trains, park and ride facilities and the use of bicycle and walking paths along the rail corridor.

RBarron@nanaimodailynews.com

250-729-4234

don432001
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #492 on: Jul 10th, 2008, 8:30pm »

Here is the Government of Saskatchewan helping their shortlines:    

Thunder Rail receives funding from government
The Arborfield Thunder Rail will receive a helping hand, thanks to a provincial grant from the Government of Saskatchewan totalling almost $30,000 for repairs. This is part of a larger grant of $500,000 spanning across six shortline railways in the province.  

By Tyler Clarke
Journal Staff
Wednesday July 09, 2008

Thunder Rail receives funding from government
By Tyler Clarke
Journal Staff
The Arborfield Thunder Rail will receive a helping hand, thanks to a provincial grant from the Government of Saskatchewan totalling almost $30,000 for repairs. This is part of a larger grant of $500,000 spanning across six shortline railways in the province.
This grant is in response to the fast-dilapidating nature of shortline railways, thanks to larger railway companies such as CN not taking proper care of them before leaving them to smaller shortlines.
"Because they were abandoning these tracks they didn't maintain them very well," Highways and Infrastructure Minister Wayne Elhard said.  

An added difficulty is that these shortline railways must be maintained by groups of smaller farms, an expense Elhard said can be difficult to afford. The Thunder Rail track directly serves about 35 farms.  
"The cost is so substantial that unless they're making large operating profits they cannot maintain them," Elhard said, adding that each railway has to match the government's grant before receiving it.
About $35,000 is spent on the Thunder Rail per year in basic maintenance costs. They receive the government grant as a price-match, so after spending $30,000 they are eligible for the full amount.
"We're all pretty happy because it can bring our track up to a higher standard with regards to things like safety," Arborfield Thunder Rail president Francis Rodier said.
The government hopes that this grant assists not only the agriculture sector, but potentially countless others as well. Minister Elhard cited the Carlton Trail Railway for its shipment of forestry products, as well as others for assisting ethanol production and other industries. The Thunder Rail will service Can Pro, which specializes in canola products like fish food, with Rodier estimating an additional 300 cars per year of use.  
Minister Elhard also cited railways for emitting less greenhouse gasses than truck traffic, as well as cutting down on traffic congestion.
"We could have spent more money, but we had a $500,000 budget," Elhard said, adding that he plans on looking into further grants in coming years. "It's money well spent due to their contribution to the economy."  
The grant's seed was planted in March, when the Shortline Railway Association approached the government for assistance, citing just why they found the improvements necessary. The government responded by late May with the initial announcement of the funds, which the shortlines later applied for.  
Six shortlines were awarded portions of the $500,000 grant. Recipients other than Arborfield include Carlton Trail Railway with almost $200,000, Great Western Railway Ltd. with about $150,000, Southern Rails Cooperative with about $85,000, Fife Lake Railway Ltd with about $20,000, and Red Coat Road and Railway with more than $10,000.  
"The shortline railway industry has been very receptive to this program," and it is important to both rural and urban economies, Elhard said.
The Thunder Rail shortline runs about 20 miles between Arborfield and Crooked River.  

tfctrains
Historian

« Reply #493 on: Jul 11th, 2008, 2:53am »

Sure would be nice if the B.C government thought the same way.  I spent many years maintaining highways in B.C, I now understand from some of my former co-workers that Highways Maintenace Contractors are having a difficult time coming up with the money to repair failed pavement surfacces because of the increse cost of asphalt. I understand the cost has almost doubled in the last few years. Rail is looking like it may be the way to go in the years to come.

Pyronova

View Profile  

« Reply #494 on: Jul 12th, 2008, 1:06am »

on Jul 11th, 2008, 2:53am, tfctrains wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Sure would be nice if the B.C government thought the same way.  I spent many years maintaining highways in B.C, I now understand from some of my former co-workers that Highways Maintenace Contractors are having a difficult time coming up with the money to repair failed pavement surfacces because of the increse cost of asphalt. I understand the cost has almost doubled in the last few years. Rail is looking like it may be the way to go in the years to come.

Asphalt?  Most provincial highways I see these days are seal coated......  Cheaper way to go?

Moderator of: Mainline - Rail Safety; Regional Areas - British Columbia & Vancouver Island; Fallen Flags - The Milwaukee Road; & Model Railroading - N-Scale .

SRY1202
Railfan

« Reply #495 on: Jul 12th, 2008, 2:09am »

Cheaper unless the contractor does a piss poor job of seal coating the road surface like they did on the Cowichan Highway. Then the government foots the bill to fix or replace everyone's windsheilds. Though I doubt they'll ever make that mistake again.

« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2008, 2:11am by SRY1202 » Logged
thehighwayman
Historian

« Reply #496 on: Jul 12th, 2008, 11:30am »

on Jul 12th, 2008, 1:06am, Pyronova wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Asphalt?  Most provincial highways I see these days are seal coated......  Cheaper way to go?

I couldn't believe my eyes two years ago when I saw that the Coquihalla had been "re-paved" by chip-sealing! And then I read about the problems with the Lake Cowichan Highway.
Is this bozo (nazi?) Campbell insane?
Is everything about the Olympics?
As someone who grew up in BC, but now lives in Ontario, I just can't believe what I see going on out there!
Will

missthealcos
Historian

« Reply #497 on: Jul 12th, 2008, 2:42pm »

on Jul 12th, 2008, 11:30am, thehighwayman wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I couldn't believe my eyes two years ago when I saw that the Coquihalla had been "re-paved" by chip-sealing! And then I read about the problems with the Lake Cowichan Highway.
Is this bozo (nazi?) Campbell insane?
Is everything about the Olympics?
As someone who grew up in BC, but now lives in Ontario, I just can't believe what I see going on out there!
Will

Trust me, it is as bad as it looks from the outside, and yes, everything is about the Olympics, nothing else matters. Yes, he is Insane...as are the people who keep on voting for him.

At least the Coquihalla has lines on it for about the first time in 5 years...no shoulder markers yet(last time I was ther anyway, a few weeks ago), but at least there was SOME indication of where the lanes are for once. It's a disaster otherwise, as are most other highways in BC that don't directly lead to Whistler. Try #3 from Hope to the west gate of Manning park on for size, what a mess.

Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #498 on: Aug 21st, 2008, 9:13pm »

Talking to Jack Peake couple of weeks ago, he said that SRYVI is projecting about 22,000 carloads on the E&N once upgrades are done. It seems that they have been doing a lot of searching on the island for potential customers (which includes coal hauling, lumber products, and other bulk commodities). I am not sure if any container traffic is included, but I wouldn't be surprised if any such service is pursued by SRY.

Edit:
Just out of curiosity, when was the last time the E&N handled that many carloads in one year. I am going to guess the early 90s.

« Last Edit: Aug 21st, 2008, 11:09pm by Aaron Lypkie » Logged
cn2220
Historian

« Reply #499 on: Aug 21st, 2008, 9:54pm »

on Aug 21st, 2008, 9:13pm, Coastrail wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Talking to Jack Peake couple of weeks ago, he said that SRYVI is projecting about 22,000 carloads on the E&N once upgrades are done. It seems that they have been doing a lot of searching on the island for potential customers (which includes coal hauling, lumber products, and other bulk commodities). I am not sure if any container traffic is included, but I wouldn't be surprised if any such service is pursued by SRY.

22,000 carloads? Wow, the ENR in 2001 while they still had the Port Alberni traffic moved only about 8,000 carloads.

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32  ...  48 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »