Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 24th, 2017, 11:33am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Rumours & Speculation & Rants
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   Rumours & Speculation & Rants
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30  ...  48 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Rumours & Speculation & Rants  (Read 21753 times)
Pyronova

View Profile  

Re: Rumours & Speculation

« Reply #440 on: Sep 11th, 2007, 2:44pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Sep 11th, 2007, 12:40am, endivisioncrha wrote:       (Click here for original message)

VIRX 7059 is in SRY shops for a wheel change out and compressor repair and servicing.
It will be eventually moved, when SRY can get it over too the Island to Parksville to the former FMC site, that will be the new home for VIRT.
It is owned by Vancouver Island Rail Tours.
Can't say anymore right now, just be patient.

Glenn
VIRT

Who or what is Vancouver Island Rail Tours?

Moderator of: Mainline - Rail Safety; Regional Areas - British Columbia & Vancouver Island; Fallen Flags - The Milwaukee Road; & Model Railroading - N-Scale .

cn2220
Historian

« Reply #441 on: Sep 11th, 2007, 11:04pm »

on Sep 11th, 2007, 9:35am, 95XXX wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Interesting ,SRVI would have to crew it at that location.

Obviously. Though I wonder if SRVI crews will be the head end crew only like CN does with the Rocky Mountaineer. With VIRT providing customer service and train staff.

« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2007, 12:34am by cn2220 » Logged

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
endivision
Historian

« Reply #442 on: Sep 21st, 2007, 1:23am »

on Sep 11th, 2007, 9:35am, 95XXX wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Interesting ,SRVI would have to crew it at that location.

Yes,SRVI, would crew the train, but any new train business must be approved by the ICF and SRVI, to move forward.
This would provide more work, for SRVI crews, so lets hope it gets the go ahead.

Save E&N Railway History
sry110
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #443 on: Oct 27th, 2007, 11:08am »

Hi guys

I was outside last night and i heard a train horn. Its was around 11:00.

Anwone have an answer for that.

Émile mathieu

Pyronova

View Profile  

« Reply #444 on: Oct 27th, 2007, 4:32pm »

on Oct 27th, 2007, 11:08am, sry110 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hi guys

I was outside last night and i heard a train horn. Its was around 11:00.

Anwone have an answer for that.

Émile mathieu

errr   Where do you live, or rather, what town/city were you in at 23:00?

Moderator of: Mainline - Rail Safety; Regional Areas - British Columbia & Vancouver Island; Fallen Flags - The Milwaukee Road; & Model Railroading - N-Scale .

sry110
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #445 on: Oct 27th, 2007, 5:34pm »

on Oct 27th, 2007, 4:32pm, Pyronova wrote:       (Click here for original message)

errr   Where do you live, or rather, what town/city were you in at 23:00?

Hey pyronova

i live in the west wood lake area (Nanaimo). I was out side at 23:00

timberland#7
Railfan

« Reply #446 on: Nov 26th, 2007, 12:34am »

It has been pretty quite on here. On the island news they showed the Port alberni diversification summit meeting that took place this weekend. The mayor said they want more tourism and to be reconected by the rail line to the east coast of the island to there deep sea port .Thats good news when you have your local goverment pushing to re establish your rail conection.

FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #447 on: Nov 26th, 2007, 11:07am »

I'd like to see Port Alberni find a way to combine the deep sea port facility and rail transportation to the east side of the island. I'm not suggesting a container port, but rather to access tourists from cruise ships and market the 'heritage railway' to them. Of course, if a container port became feasible, I certainly wouldn't object.
Port can't really expect all tourists to drive over the hump to see what they can offer to entice tourists. They should have better marketing and a "destination". The steam railway over the mountain pass could be that. Why else do people go to Skagway, Alaska? Think about it.
on Nov 26th, 2007, 12:34am, timberland#7 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
It has been pretty quite on here. On the island news they showed the Port alberni diversification summit meeting that took place this weekend. The mayor said they want more tourism and to be reconected by the rail line to the east coast of the island to there deep sea port .Thats good news when you have your local goverment pushing to re establish your rail conection.

95XXX
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #448 on: Dec 21st, 2007, 11:41am »

Just wondering if someone could get a look at the new building being built around mile 1.2 out of Vic, It appears to be angled an graded in such a way to get me thinking a new shop could be on the way for the Budds.

This is purely speculation guys, If you live around there get some pics and post them.

FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #449 on: Jan 14th, 2008, 2:30am »

This could be really interesting.  
The premier is set to announce a multi billion dollar investment in transit. It has been guessed that infrastructure and reduction of greenhouse gases are behind the announcement. Much major improvement to skytrain on the mainland as well as bus only lanes even in Vic. I wonder if the LRT system will get investment?
Have to wait until the announcement tomorrow.

http://www.canada.com/globaltv/bc/index.html  (don't know how long this link will stay up - if someone can tiny-url it that'd be good)
See what you think.

Cody
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #450 on: Jan 14th, 2008, 3:55am »

Hate to be a party pooper,  but I not so sure the Esquimalt and Nanaimo will be included in the spending spree:

I saw an interview on Shaw on Friday with our transportation minister Kevin Falcon    where he was asked bluntly whether or not the E & N would get funding in the billion dollar transit plan. He replied that there will be no funding until a sound business plan is developed for the service.  He went on to say that the taxpayers of the province would not stand for funding going toward an unprofitable, underutilized service.    The interview cut to Jack Peake who said that the ICF would develop a business plan, but at the same time Jack acknowledged there were more players that just the ICF involved (VIA for instance).

As I have said before.........these boom times are a good time to spend money on the future to make sure we have efficient, well-built infrastructure to weather recessions and keep life affordable.   I say make the improvements now.   Those Colorado Railcar DMU's just got a lot cheaper with the Canadian dollar parity.

FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #451 on: Jan 14th, 2008, 3:45pm »

Cody's right. Victoria is going to get high speed dedicated bus lanes. $14 billion to spend on Transit solutions and we're getting more, & faster buses. I think this ends any speculation on the area getting LRT for the foreseeable future  
I actually had some hope that something might come of this. Oh well.

Cody
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #452 on: Jan 14th, 2008, 9:20pm »

The figure Jack Peake stated on the show the ICF needs to implement commuter service on the E&N (50 million), is ironically almost exactly the budget for the new highway interchange in Langford.

All hail the mighty car!!!

CPRail4744
Historian

« Reply #453 on: Jan 15th, 2008, 1:10am »

The announcer on CBC radio included the the phrase "more trains" in the mix that the funding would contribute to.  No details, though, and the whole segment was from a Lower Mainland point of view.

Matt Arnott, Kamloops, B.C.

"I would prefer to see it shipped by train..."
Dayliner
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #454 on: Jan 15th, 2008, 12:13pm »

Definitely a story with a Lower Mainland emphasis.  "More trains" in this context means more Skytrain or LRT.  I haven't heard anything yet suggesting that more money is being put into heavy or conventional rail.

Life without trains? Inconceivable!
FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #455 on: Jan 15th, 2008, 8:00pm »

on Jan 14th, 2008, 9:20pm, Cody wrote:       (Click here for original message)
All hail the mighty car!!!
All hail the coming of $1.50 a litre gasoline!!! ( Coming soon! ) Then lets revisit light rail transit.

Pyronova

View Profile  

« Reply #456 on: Jan 15th, 2008, 9:03pm »

on Jan 15th, 2008, 8:00pm, FSD8014 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

All hail the coming of $1.50 a litre gasoline!!!

You mean its not here already?

My truck burns propane. Since 1999:  29.9 to 85.9 today.
2.87 times increase.    Must be nice to have wages increased accordingly.......  

Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #457 on: Jan 15th, 2008, 11:04pm »

on Jan 15th, 2008, 8:00pm, FSD8014 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

All hail the coming of $1.50 a litre gasoline!!! ( Coming soon! ) Then lets revisit light rail transit.

Well they way things are going, that $1.50 a litre gasoline may come sooner than u think.

FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #458 on: Jan 16th, 2008, 12:33am »

Am I the only one who suddenly wants to get into politics? I'm incompetent and out of touch with reality. Would you vote for me?
The $14 billion is spent and accounted for, Aaron. This figure will only go up as projects go over budget and lower mainlanders sue over the construction screwing up their lives. (railfans love NIMBYS) Lets not forget how much of that announcement was actually new news. The pundits guessed at the majority of the projects and the Canada line is well under way. Kelowna seems to have gotten something they might not have foreseen. The lower mainland got the lions share as usual. The island got shafted as usual. The premier hasn't paid attention to the islands needs.
So, what else is new?
Actually, in a way, this isn't all bad news. A lot of people weren't looking for much from the economy after 2010. These are mega projects until 2020. Thats a positive note isn't it?

Aaron Lypkie
Historian

« Reply #459 on: Jan 16th, 2008, 8:55pm »

I know, it just sucks, there was no mention of rail for us. But it would seem that those working on the business plan for the E&N are not going to give up.

Sorry for the political rant.  

« Last Edit: Jan 16th, 2008, 9:02pm by Aaron Lypkie » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30  ...  48 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »