Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 24th, 2017, 11:44am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Rumours & Speculation & Rants
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Vancouver Island
(Moderators: SRY 110, Pyronova, Henry)
   Rumours & Speculation & Rants
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  ...  48 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Rumours & Speculation & Rants  (Read 21757 times)
FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Rumours & Speculation

« Reply #400 on: Jan 19th, 2007, 1:29am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Well, according to a quote in that link: Sophisticated fund managers dont buy a third of a company without some idea of the strategic direction they're heading,"-"The quickest, simplest short term return to Third Avenue would come from selling Catalyst."  I concur.
I tend to think the mill, the town and the railway would be best served by a change in mill ownership. A new approach; one that isnt adversarial in nature, might benefit all concerned. A kind of partnership between the mill, town, and transportation would be beneficial. Probably wont happen, however as Third Ave. seems to have dug in over this and seems to want to keep Catalyst for now feeling it is undervalued. Time will tell.

FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #401 on: May 15th, 2007, 9:52am »

Any of you guys get the WCRA railway news? You might recognize the island content, as it seems to come from this forum. If you can access it (don't know if you have to be a member or not) check out the "New freight on SVI", "Vancouver Island Budd car changes" and "Englewood update". That last one sounds real familiar.  
lol

sry110
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #402 on: Jun 3rd, 2007, 11:32am »

hi all

This weekend i went to my step father job, the back door was open. there was a track. form that track i could saw the propane tank car. do anyone no if the harbourcity star already recive roll of paper by train or tank car of ink?

thanks

FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #403 on: Jun 3rd, 2007, 2:50pm »

I believe the track is just used for Superior Propane. I'm not aware of any newspapers on the island that receive product by rail. If I'm wrong (and I'd rather see this turn out to be another customer), please correct me.

boxcar
Historian

« Reply #404 on: Jun 3rd, 2007, 2:56pm »

It is not out of the question for companies like this to get cars of paper, in Calgary, the herald and North hill news get about 4 to 6 car loads per week of paper. Just wondering if the harbourcity star has a spur?

Ttm Alyth yard
FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #405 on: Jun 3rd, 2007, 7:13pm »

Just looking at that area on Google Earth and no, the Harbour City Star does not have a dedicated spur but the Superior Propane spur seems to run behind their building, indeed behind that entire complex. I suppose its possible to drop a carload of printing supplies behind the propane cars but can't tell if the building has an access door or dock for railcar shipments.
On Google Earth the location is at: Pointer. 49degrees 11' 49.96"N  123degrees 59' 03.35"W at an elevation of 329ft. The Google Earth image has been updated and looks way better. There are six cars on the Superior spur and you can see the ties clearly. Pretty good.

ENR_fan
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #406 on: Jun 22nd, 2007, 6:43pm »

I drove up island and back from Victoria today and saw that there was a construction notice on  highway #1 north of Duncan which indicated that on June 27th the highway #18 (the one that goes to Lake Cowichan) rail crossing was being upgraded and that there would be a detour in effect. They must be putting in gates or something more substantial in at the crossing because as I recall that crossing has only simple cross-bucks and red flashers.
I also noticed, when I was heading south, a shipment of rail ties on a tractor trailer going south out of Nanaimo on the highway and I thought it might be going to the construction on the above mentioned rail crossing, however the truck ended up stopping short into a Chemainus lumber warehouse... however they still may end up on the E&N somewhere. Also does anyone know what that new large warehouse type building going up in Ladysmith is about? Itís right beside the E&N ROW, just north of the rusting rail equipment in the center of town, perhaps a new customer?

andrewjoystick
Railfan

« Reply #407 on: Jun 22nd, 2007, 7:54pm »

SRY has been doing that at railroad crossings a lot on the mainland lately. They close the roads down for 24 hours, dig up the crossing, replace all the ties and sometimes the rails and put in concrete inserts around the rails. That is most likely what they are doing at that crossing. If they plan to install crossing gates then they will most likely install the wiring and equipment for those at the same time as well.

FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #408 on: Jul 11th, 2007, 12:52am »

It would seem that Via 6135 has left IRSI. This doesn't mean I have any idea when it might be due back on the rock here. But I did trip over a couple of pix of 6135 in a train consist on the MacTier sub dated June 30th. http://www.dualflagrrphotos.com/ follow links: gallery, June 30 - scroll down about halfway. (Theres also a couple of pix of a BC Rail SD40-2 #765 in the hockey stick scheme there. Theres even an Expo 86 decal on the fuel tank!)
Anyways, it seems like 6135 is westward bound. Ah, WTH, heres the pic: http://www.dualflagrrphotos.com/DSC06047.jpg

FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #409 on: Jul 19th, 2007, 1:31am »

The union representing VIA employees has issued strike notice for Sunday, July 22nd at 12:01 AM. This will affect maintenance, cleaning and train crews. Its possible that there will be no Dayliner Sunday and until this is resolved.

http://www.cbc.ca/money/story/2007/07/17/viarailnotice.html?ref=rss

« Last Edit: Jul 19th, 2007, 1:44am by FSD8014 » Logged
cn2220
Historian

« Reply #410 on: Jul 19th, 2007, 1:42am »

on Jul 19th, 2007, 1:31am, FSD8014 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Its possible that there will be no Dayliner Sunday and until this is resolved.

Will it? Considering both the maintenance and operations are contracted out?

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #411 on: Jul 19th, 2007, 1:52am »

I guess there are no VIA employees on the island then. I stand corrected.

CP8673
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #412 on: Jul 19th, 2007, 10:07am »

The only actual Via Rail employee on Vancouver is the ticket agent in Victoria.  Train crews have been CP/RailAmerica/SRY.  Mechanical CP/Point Hope/Herzog.  Probably have to buy your tickets on the train or from a travel agent.  That's all.

Cody
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #413 on: Aug 16th, 2007, 1:43am »

A few people have mentioned on this forum over the years the possibility that there would be aggregate movements on the E & N when the Metchosin (Construction Aggregates) gravel pit closes.   I did some work for C.A. last week and they are shutting the doors in December.   The are making bare minimum repairs and investment in their infrastructure as they have less than a year left.   The reclamation work has begun on the West pit and will continue for several years as they turn the pits into a new waterfront community.

So............I personally do not see how this will generate loads for the E & N.  The C.A. gravel and crushed stone products were loaded directly to barges for shipment off Island, with the few exceptions being places on the Island that were set up to accept barges from them.

I am not sure how them shutting down would tranlate into loads for the railway........but I thought I's revive the rumour in case there is something I'm missing.    

Pyronova

View Profile  

« Reply #414 on: Aug 16th, 2007, 7:58pm »

on Aug 16th, 2007, 1:43am, Cody wrote:       (Click here for original message)
A few people have mentioned on this forum over the years the possibility that there would be aggregate movements on the E & N when the Metchosin (Construction Aggregates) gravel pit closes.   I did some work for C.A. last week and they are shutting the doors in December.   The are making bare minimum repairs and investment in their infrastructure as they have less than a year left.   The reclamation work has begun on the West pit and will continue for several years as they turn the pits into a new waterfront community.

So............I personally do not see how this will generate loads for the E & N.  The C.A. gravel and crushed stone products were loaded directly to barges for shipment off Island, with the few exceptions being places on the Island that were set up to accept barges from them.

I am not sure how them shutting down would tranlate into loads for the railway........but I thought I's revive the rumour in case there is something I'm missing.    

Did any material from C.A. ever become used in local asphalt road construction?   What is the local paving stone supplier; and could the E&N/SRY-VI become a supplier?

Moderator of: Mainline - Rail Safety; Regional Areas - British Columbia & Vancouver Island; Fallen Flags - The Milwaukee Road; & Model Railroading - N-Scale .

FSD8014
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #415 on: Aug 16th, 2007, 8:44pm »

As a gravel trucker around the West Shore, I hope my insight qualifies. The Con-Ag pit has been a major supplier of sand and various sizes of aggregates on the south island. And while the sand pile there looks huge (even I think so), they've refused to supply sand in large quantities to at least one major customer and are no longer supplying aggregate for concrete to anyone but Lafarge (part of the consortium that owns them). I've even heard they were out of 3/8 "torpedo" completely. The result of this is the sheer number of gravel trucks and trailers hauling that stuff to Victoria over the Malahat. Sand comes from a few places between Cobble Hill and Duncan. I'm not sure what products come from a pit near Nanaimo Lakes, but I know guys hauling from there.  
In the end the expense of a facility to unload railcars and transfer to trucks within the Victoria area will kill any hopes of moving aggregate by rail. The property to do this is too scarce and expensive. Trucks use public roads between existing gravel pits and distributors or Concrete Companies. The transport of aggregate by rail may or may not be cheaper, but the ground to transfer materials at is the plans downfall.  

on Aug 16th, 2007, 1:43am, Cody wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Cody
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #416 on: Aug 16th, 2007, 11:58pm »

Thanks for the inside scoop FSD8014. †I was told they are barge-only now from a guy working there, but I have no idea how reliable my source is.  

As far as the mining is concerned I think they are now only processing crushed blast-rock products from their blasting face which might explain the lack of certain aggregate products that are made from true gravel (glacial till). †The remaining pure till reserves are all outside the property now, or under their residential development lands. †Maybe 3/8 torpedo fits that category †The rock crushing plant is still running full tilt.

As far as that big pile o' sand is concerned. † There is speculation it will be used for grading and filling the new neighborhood, and perhaps for extending the existing beach along the waterfront. † That might be why they are not too keen to sell it off.

There is still an active and thriving gravel pit near Victoria at Butler Brothers on Keating Cross-Roads in Central Saanich. †There are huge aggregate and limestone operations on Texada Island that can barge to Victoria locations such as Butler's downtown Bay Street operation as well as a brand new aggregate operation at Port MacNeil on the North Island.

It seems unlikely that the E & N would be running unit aggregate trains when there is still good waterfront access for this material in Victoria. † Cement trains to Trio Readymix at Esquimalt siding seem a higher likelyhood for new business to me.

« Last Edit: Aug 16th, 2007, 11:59pm by Cody » Logged
torch
Historian

« Reply #417 on: Aug 19th, 2007, 2:13am »

hey clc... was this flat car  sitting around port alberni for a long time or something? or  did it  come over somehow from wellcox? do you know? thanks..--m

cn2220
Historian

« Reply #418 on: Aug 19th, 2007, 2:20am »

Hey Moka, I think it was one of the flat cars that was used when CPR was logging on the Port Sub a few years ago. IIRC they used a track mobile to haul the cars over the Port Sub which later broke down. I believe Alberni Pacific Railway hauled the logs out for the CPR.

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
timberland#7
Railfan

« Reply #419 on: Aug 19th, 2007, 4:38pm »

I was up at the engine shed in Alberni last week talking to one of the members and explained that they are going to load the flat car with 50 yards of pit run .They will load a skidsteer on the flat car as well to push of the pit run into the wash out up the track.

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  ...  48 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »